• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 4,249 Views, 202 Comments

TD's Little Rarity 1.5: This Time It's Personal - BronyWriter



While being transported by the government, the convoy is attacked and Rarity is taken.

  • ...
21
 202
 4,249

The New Life of Jason Stone

According to my watch, I was in the back of that godforsaken truck for two hours while the friggin' FBI tried to figure out how an armored convoy had been destroyed and the precious cargo taken. I spent pretty much all of that time staring at the pile of bulletproof vests, remembering Rarity being taken from me. At least the freaking FBI actually let her stay with me. These people just... took her. They took her away from me.

And I was going to get her back. I didn't care, how, I didn't care how long it took, I didn't care if I had to kill to do it. I would get her back.

Having said that, when I thought of the fact that if I was going to get her back, I might have to kill somebody to do it. It was a sobering thought, to say the least. I was just some guy from small town Colorado. I'm not exactly a mafia hit-man. I guess it's like Papa Wolf Syndrome, though. Rarity saw me as her father, and I was going to do everything to get her back.

The door to the SWAT van opened, revealing my two favoriteist people this side of Ben and Celestia. I gave them both a curt nod. "Agent Johnson. Agent Tanner."

The two FBI agents who had handled the arrest and transportation of Rarity and I stared into the car. Agent Tanner looked rather blank, though that may have been the sunglasses, while Agent Johnson's shoulders were slightly slumped. Behind the two of them was a pack of heavily armed SWAT members who were searching the scene.

"They took Rarity," Agent Johnson said with a sigh.

"Gee, what gave you that idea?" I growled. My face hardened into a glare, and I stood up. "Maybe it's the fact that the entire convoy has been wiped out? Maybe the thing that tipped you off was the fact that Rarity is missing?"

"Why did they keep you alive?" Agent Tanner asked as she scanned the van. "It seems strange that they'd kill the entire convoy, take Rarity, but keep you alive."

I shrugged. "Something about blood being a big expense and civilians being off-limits. I didn't try to kill them both, so they didn't kill me."

Agent Johnson cocked his head slightly. "Both? This was two guys?"

"I don't know. Probably not. I just saw the two that took Rarity. They drove away in a van."

"You didn't happen to get the license plates, did you?"

I nodded. "T390904. California plates."

"Good, that's good." Agent Johnson took a phone out of his pocket. "They're probably still in the state. We can pick them up if we hurry."

"You sure took your sweet time getting here," I growled.

Agent Tanner shook her head and leaned against one of the doors. "We didn't get word that the convoy had been attacked until recently. We were out here the second we thought that something was wrong."

"Oh, I figured out what was wrong a long time ago." I narrowed my eyes and leaned down until my head was almost touching hers. "You couldn't leave well enough alone. You thought that Rarity would make a fun science experiment! You thought that it would be fun to just lock us up with the Ark of the Covenant, and study us for science!" I tapped her forehead. "That's where it went wrong."

"Would you have preferred that they tried this stunt at your school?" Agent Tanner snapped, swatting my hand away. "We weren't the ones who found out about Rarity in the first place! If they did find out because of the news chopper that was in the sky, and I assure you that we are hammering down on them, that was before we were involved."

As much as I wanted to smear Agent Tanner all over the ground, I had to admit that I couldn't get too mad at her. She wasn't at fault for this. She and Agent Johnson had only been brought in after this was all set in motion. I took a deep breath and sat back down, putting my head in my hands. "This is freaking nuts. This can't be happening."

"I'm sorry, TD." Agent Tanner put a hand on my shoulder. "It couldn't have been easy to see that."

"She was reaching to me," I muttered. "She was crying and begging me to help her while two men in ski masks with semi-automatic weapons carried her away to who knows where." My hands began shaking as my veins coursed with anger. I guess it wasn't the healthiest thing, but if they came back for round two, I think I'd forego the fact that they were armed to the teeth and just fight them both. As it was I was regretting not lunging when I had the chance. Maybe I could have taken both of them out. Rarity was protected at either rate. Of course, if they had other people, and they would have, I'd be dead by now.

Agent Johnson came back to the van, and whispered something into Agent Tanner's ear. I didn't even bother trying to guess what they were saying, but I can't imagine that I'd like it.

Agent Tanner nodded and whispered something back before turning to me. "Well, TD. I think it's time to get you back to the station. We have a lot of things to discuss."

* * * *

One year later

I cracked my neck as I unlocked the door to my small house. I walked inside and closed the door behind me before collapsing on my couch.

The past year of my life had sucked. The only thing that had kept me going with the fact that Rarity still hadn't been found. Lord knows what was happening to her, but I had to imagine that she was scared out of her mind. That hurt me; thinking like that. I sort of felt that it was my duty to protect her. When those jerks just took her away, I felt that I kind of failed her.

No, I did fail her.

Ug. Why did I have to find that stupid box in my room in the first place?! Celestia was going to hear about it from me when she finally got around to coming for Rarity. Heck, they could have already.

No, that wasn't the case. If it was, Rarity would have had them find me. She'd be worried that I wasn't okay. She was still out there, and I wasn't going to just give up in my quest to find her.

After I had been taken back to the station, Johnson and Tanner explained that they'd essentially put me in hiding in case whoever took Rarity came back to get me. They sent me to a suburb a few miles outside of Denver, had me dye my hair brown, grow out my hair and a goatee, and changed my name to Jason Stone. They also gave me a twenty five thousand dollar a month pension. I think that's more than usual, especially since I had a job at a firing range that would have paid for my food and rent if the government wasn't doing that too, but I imagine that they were quite sorry about everything that had happened.

Life in the Witness Protection Program, ladies and gentlemen.

I was just about to drift off and take a quick nap when I heard a loud knock on my door. I didn't have to look to guess that it was my handlers. I groaned and opened up the door for Johnson and Tanner. I stepped aside so that they could step inside. They were in civilian clothing, which was pretty funny for me the first time that I saw them, so as to not give anybody the idea that the FBI was routinely talking with some random dude named Jason Stone.

I sat back down on my couch while the two of them leaned against my kitchen counter. I scoffed and shook my head. "So, I guess it's the third Wednesday of the month, then."

"Yeah." Agent Tanner glanced down at a large sports bag next to the couch. "We've come to talk about that, and why you feel it's necessary to buy guns and become proficient with them? Given your situation, we're not convinced that you aren't planning something."

I smirked and rolled my eyes. "I won't say one way or the other. I'm not buying illegal guns. The ones in there are for... self-defense."

"You're not a killer, Jason," Agent Johnson replied.

I grimaced slightly at that. It's been six months since anybody has called me TD. I still haven't really gotten used to the whole 'new identity' thing.

"I know I'm not a killer." I shrugged. "I've never been in a situation where I'd need to kill anybody. The guns are for 'self-defense.' It's because I'm not a guy who's willing to be a killer that I've trained to the point where I can shoot a grape off of a fence post from fifty yards. If I'm flawlessly accurate, I can shoot to disable. Not kill."

"You'd kill if you felt that you had to," Agent Tanner retorted.

I let out a single laugh. "Uh, yeah. You would too. Everybody would. I'm becoming proficient with weapons so that I don't have to do that kind of thing if I don't feel that I need to."

The three of us were silent for a few moments. We simply stared at each other, each trying to figure the motives of the other out. Technically they couldn't take my guns since I owned all of them legally, but I knew that they wanted to stop me from finding Rarity.

Yeah, good luck with that.

"If I get a lead I'm taking it. You know that, right?"

Agent Johnson sighed and nodded. "Yeah. We do. We thought that the license plate would help, and it did a little. We were able to trace the van back to somebody named Jack Hansen, but that person conveniently stops existing from there."

"Good work, Sherlock." I glared at him and lightly shook my head. "Any other leads to follow, or are you going to give up soon?"

Agent Johnson returned my glare. "You know we're not going to stop. There are only a few groups in America that could have pulled off what they did, and we've been investigating all of them."

"I know." I clicked my tongue. "But you're no closer to finding her now than you were a year ago, are you?"

"I believe that we are." Agent Tanner crossed her arms. "We will get her back. When we do, we'll use all of our resources to protect her. We can even let you live with her."

"Sounds like a good plan." I tightened my jaw and scratched my neck. "That's all hinging on you actually finding her, and it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon."

"We will get her back," said Agent Johnson. "We just want to make sure that you aren't going to go looking for her yourself. That would only get you killed and Rarity in worse trouble. Just leave it to us."

I inclined my head in a slight nod. "I'll take it into consideration."

Agent Tanner scoffed, but seemed to realize that logic wasn't going to stop me. She motioned with her head for the two of them to go. They left without another word, something that I was more than fine with. I locked my door behind them and picked up my sports bag. I went into my room and laid down on my bed. Work plus everybody's favorite agents meant that I wasn't really in the mood to do much today. It was nine at night anyway. I could stand to go to bed early for once in my life.

* * * *

I've always been a pretty light sleeper, even when I was exhausted. Kristen used to joke that I'd wake up if a spider was walking across the floor.

It turns out that when somebody is breaking into your house, that can be a pretty useful attribute to have.

My eyes snapped open to the sound of my front door creaking open. I sat up in bed and looked at the clock. It was one twenty in the morning, so I imagine that whoever was in my house wasn't coming in with good intentions. As quietly as I could, I unzipped my sports bag and pulled out a Colt M1911 pistol. Despite the fact that this night probably wasn't going to go well, I wasn't keen on having it go that way.

I checked to see if there was a round in the chamber and cocked it as quietly as I could. No reason to let the guy know I knew he was in here. If he was just some thief he'd be pretty disappointed unless he wanted to steal my projector and X-box that I hardly used. I could replace those if he did.

Well, he wasn't here for that. I heard soft footsteps coming to my door. Unless Agent Johnson was going to surprise me with Rarity or something like that, I had a feeling that this night was going to suck.

I hid behind the door and put my finger on the trigger just as it opened up and a figure in a tracksuit and ski mask wielding a silenced pistol walked in. Wow. They weren't screwing around with this. Despite the fact that I had literally been training for a year to deal with this should it ever come up, I got the feeling that I was way in over my head here. Still, it wasn't as if I was just going to let him do this. I slowly raised the gun and pointed it at his head.

"Drop the friggin' gun," I hissed.

My would-be assassin jumped a little bit, but he didn't turn around. The gun he was carrying slid to the floor, and he put his hands on top of his head.

"Well done, Mr. Powell. I didn't even expect you to be awake, much less armed." He chuckled and slowly turned around, and I took a step back so that he didn't lunge at me. "Rarity does speak highly of you. It seems you do deserve it."

My eyes narrowed and my mouth twisted into a snarl. "If you've freaking hurt her--"

"You have already been informed that Rarity will not be harmed, and she hasn't been," he snapped. "She has been living quite comfortably for the past year."

I scoffed. "Yeah? As what? A zoo exhibit? A pet? A science project?"

"My employer has been researching her magical abilities."

"Science project, then." I gave an unamused smirk. "Weapons maybe?"

The assassin snorted. "You've seen too many movies, Mr. Powell. Not every powerful organization is in weapons development. I assure you that Rarity is quite comfortable." His own amused smirk faded, and he glared at me. "It will be easier for the both of us if you allow me to make it quick. You were not an issue when we first obtained the foal, but since you seem to be gearing for war if our intelligence is correct, my employer feels that you may attempt to make yourself one. This is easier."

"Well, I'd be glad to be a thorn in his side," I growled. Maybe I can be a bullet in his side too."

"Okay, first off, that doesn't make that much sense." He scoffed and folded his arms. "Secondly, you're not a killer, Mr. Powell. You're a college student who spent a little time in a land of talking ponies. You are admittedly deadlier than you were a year ago, but there is a difference between shooting tin cans and a human."

"It all depends on the situation," I retorted. "And you--"

That's when he lunged.

I hadn't noticed that he had been getting in a position that had allowed him to lunge forward and knock my gun aside. I managed to not drop the gun, but he slammed his fist into my chest. I crumpled up and dropped to the ground, allowing him to kick my gun away. He kicked me in the side of the head, and I fell to the ground. I managed to fall in a way that allowed me to land on my sports bag. My open sports bag. It was my one shot.

The hit-man chuckled, and I heard him pick up his gun. "Once again, I applaud you for getting the drop on me. Not many people have done that. I underestimated you."

"A running theme, I've noticed," I said through clenched teeth as I slowly reached my hand into my bag and grasped the handle of one of the guns. I had one shot, so I had to make it count if I was going to get out of here alive.

He chuckled and pointed his gun at my head. "Oh? Who else has underestimated you? Your roommate? Somebody in that cartoon land of ponies? You're not strong, Mr. Powell. You can get the drop on me in a moment of foolishness on my part, but--"

That's when I pulled the trigger.

Two shots from a Smith & Wesson 45 rang out through the house, proving that the night wouldn't go as well as I hoped. Still, I wasn't going to die now, so there's that.

I took my hand out of the bag and took a deep breath. I was feeling... well, I wasn't sure what I was feeling. Somebody had just tried to kill me, and I had turned the tables on him. Yeesh. Johnson and Tanner were going to have a freaking field day with this one. I'd probably get a new identity, a new look, a new everything. They'd probably move me out of Colorado now too.

I was contemplating my next move when I heard a phone ring. I checked my nightstand and saw that it wasn't mine, which meant that it came from my dearly departed assassin. I figured that it probably wasn't his wife asking him when he'd be home for dinner. I ran a hand through my hair and gingerly reached into one of the pockets of the tracksuit. I pulled out the phone and flipped it open.

"Hello? Maxot? Is the target taken care of? You were supposed to have checked in three minutes ago."

I gulped and took a deep breath. If there was ever a time for a lead to be dumped on me, it was now. I licked my lips and cracked my neck to steady myself. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Was this Maxot dude the one you sent to kill me? Yeah, he's not going to be checking back in."

The voice on the other end of the line was dead silent, giving me time to calm my nerves a little more. I took his gun out of his hand and placed it and my fallen gun in my sports bag. If this was going the way I suspected, I'd need them both.

The voice on the other end chuckled after a few seconds. "I take it this is Mr. TD Harrison Powell?"

"Your intelligence isn't completely terrible. Congratulations. I take it you're the one who has Rarity?"

"Indeed I am. I assure you that she is not being harmed. She is quite well taken care of."

"I don't care if she's living like a princess." I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. "You took her from me. I was protecting her. I do not like that."

""I'm sure you don't. It was quite touching how she called you 'father.' The voice chuckled. "Would you like to speak to her?"

My breath caught in my throat and my stomach clenched. The voice chuckled again. "I take it that means yes. I have her here right now. I heard the noise of movement on the other end, and I even heard something that sounded like Rarity. "Just speak into that end. It's your protector."

I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair again. "R-Rarity?"

"Hello? F-Father; is that you?"

Yeah, that was definitely her. She didn't sound sickly or anything, which was good. She did sound very scared, though. That didn't sit so well with me.

"Hey, Rarity. How are you doing?"

"I miss you, Father," Rarity whimpered. "Th-they told me that I couldn't see you anymore!"

"Don't worry, Rarity. I promised that I was going to be okay. I'm coming to get you." I paused and glanced back down at my would-be assassin. A shudder went up my spine, and I walked out of the room. "Do you know where you are?"

I heard Rarity sniffle on the other end. "No. It's just some big building. I liked your room at school better."

I let out a half-chuckle. "Yeah, me too." Any trace of amusement faded, and I had to steel myself for the next question. "Rarity, this is very important. Have they hurt you?"

"No. They haven't."

"Rarity... have they hurt you in any way?"

"No. I'm okay. I'm just s-scared!" Her sniffled dissolved into quiet sobs. "I just want to go home!"

"I'm coming to get you, Rarity." I leaned against one of the walls in my house. I was actually surprised to find tears welling up in my eyes. Hearing her like this... it hurt.

"I promise that I'm coming to get you."

"Are you okay?" said Rarity with a whimper. "They said that they wouldn't do anything bad to you if I behaved."

"Yeah, I'm okay." I glanced back at my room. "They were lying, though. They sent somebody to kill me, but I got him first. Now I'm coming to get you. Just be brave, okay?"

"I've been trying, Father." I heard Rarity whimper as the voice of whoever had her started up again. "I'm really scared, but I'll be brave. Just come soon!"

"I will, Rarity. I will."

I heard Rarity whimpering on the other end, and some talking. The phone was moved around, and Rarity's sobs faded away as she was led who knows where. I heard the first voice on the other end clear his throat.

"As she told you: she has not been harmed."

"She isn't exactly happy," I snarled. "Seriously, where do you get off doing that to her? What the heck do you think is going to happen if and when Celestia and the other Elements of Harmony come for her? You're going to find out how well you can survive in the sun." I wiped angry tears from my eyes, and adjusted my bag. "Of course, that's if I don't find you first."

"I'd like to see you try."

"I'll bet." I walked back to the other room and gingerly began searching the body until I found car keys. I put them in my pocket and walked out of my house. "There is a way to avoid this. If you let Rarity go now we can end it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. If you don't let her go, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will kill you."

The voice on the other end was silent while he mulled it over. I was almost to the black sedan that my attacker had driven before he answered.

"That's from Taken."

I faltered slightly as I went to go unlock the car door. "W-well..."

"Mr. Powell, if you're going to threaten me, at least think up your own material. You are not Liam Neeson."

I scowled. "Yeah, well, it sounds cool, okay?" I unlocked the trunk of the car and found everything that a guy would need to take down somebody who had Rarity. Semi-automatic weapons, shotguns, knives, a machete, an unzipped bag filled with tons of cash, that kind of thing. I smiled and closed the trunk before getting into the car. "It also got the point across."

"If we didn't see you as a threat before, we do now. We underestimated you, but no more."

The voice hung up, and I heard the dial tone. I nodded and closed the phone before putting it in my pocket. I turned on the car and hit the gas. I finally had my lead.

It was time to get Rarity back.

Author's Note:

As I write this, I'm realizing that it's going to be difficult to write TD as he is, and infuse it with Liam Neeson from Taken or somebody like that. If you're all okay with me writing him like that, I'll go for it. Again, this isn't meant to be taken seriously at all, but I still want to keep him in character.