• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 4,248 Views, 202 Comments

TD's Little Rarity 1.5: This Time It's Personal - BronyWriter



While being transported by the government, the convoy is attacked and Rarity is taken.

  • ...
21
 202
 4,248

I Should Have Watched Die Hard a Few More Times

With little hesitation, I walked over to the door and tentatively pulled it open, hoping that these guys didn't lock the doors to their rooftops in case guys like me jumped from the adjacent building to come in and take back what was theirs. To my utter delight, when I pulled on the handle, the door came open, allowing me to slip into the stairwell. I unzipped my bag and pulled out the gun I used to kill Maxot with. I put it in my pocket, keeping my hand inside on the trigger. If I needed it, I could pull it out in seconds.

Gah, what was I doing?! I mean, besides taking on one of the most powerful corporations in the world to get the cartoon pony who called me "Father" back so that we could, hopefully, go back to the cartoon land where she belonged.

And honestly? Going through all of this made me wonder... Did I belong there too? I mean, fate, or whatever, seemed quite insistent that I go back. I mean, if Rarity and I were ever going to be truly safe, Celestia would need to come get us.

I hate my life sometimes. I really do.

I had to push those thoughts out of my mind for the moment. I had to find Rarity. That was the only important thing right now. As I reached the first of the doors into the main complex, I began to realize that I had absolutely no plan on how to find her, much less get her out of where she was and get away to safety. It wouldn't help her at all if I was killed trying to rescue her.

One stop at a time.

I approached the door to the thirtieth floor and cracked it open as gently and quietly as I could. If the receptionist was right, then the big boss Stephenson would be here, and I could get him to give me Rarity.

Somehow.

Though I have found that people tend to be more open to suggestion if you're pointing a shotgun at their face.

I looked through the small opening in the doorway that I had created, and smiled when I saw a middle-aged, slightly balding, clean shaven man in a suit talking to two other people in suits, though those ones wore earpieces, and I could already see the holsters inside of their jackets. It seemed I had come to the right place.

"Be on the lookout for the intruder," the man in the suit said. "He's to be considered armed and extremely dangerous. Shoot to kill, though if you do manage to incapacitate him, bring him straight to me."

"Yes, Mr. Stephenson," said one of the guards. "Though if I may ask: why can we not just contact the police?"

"Because this is an internal affair. If the authorities were contacted, it would reflect very poorly on our company." Stephenson adjusted his tie before continuing. "Now, tell the others to do a floor-by-floor sweep of the building, starting with this one. I'd be quite surprised if he wasn't here already."

The two guards saluted, and Stephenson walked into a room that I could only assume was his office. The two guards walked away, leaving me to wonder how the heck I was going to get to him with zero casualties.

That's when an idea struck me. A nasty, wonderful idea.

I shut the door as quietly as I could and began running down the stairs, stopping when I reached the twenty fifth floor. If all else failed, I could go back to my repairman persona, but hopefully I'd get lucky again. I opened the door and stepped into the twenty fifth floor, moving around it as quickly as I could to find my target. I got some strange looks from the employees, but none of them made a fuss about me being there. I opened another door on the floor, and that's when I got one up on Bono and found what I was looking for.

The kitchen.

Knowing that I had a limited amount of time, seeing as the security guards would be checking this floor any minute, I quickly went to work. I went over to the fridge and opened up the freezer. I grinned when I found the perfect tool: a box of frozen Hot Pockets. I took one out and removed it from the wrapping before setting it on the counter so that I could find my other ingredient. I began opening up the various cabinets and drawers before finally locating what I was after.

The tin foil.

Tearing out a long piece, I wrapped the Hot Pocket in the foil and threw it in the microwave. Part of me hoped that this wouldn't cause too much damage, but then I remembered that this was the company that took Rarity and used her in science experiments. They can lose a wall in one of their kitchens. I don't care. Grinning to myself, I set the microwave for sixty minutes and walked casually, but quickly, back to the stairwell to await the results of my plan. I prayed that no casualties would come of this, but if the building burned down and Roshab Inc.'s stock dropped a fair amount, I'd be way okay with that. Maybe they'd think next time before taking a cartoon character away from her caretaker for science experiments.

Er... if it came up again.

I reached the stairwell just as the piercing shriek of the fire alarm began echoing throughout the building. I even heard the sprinklers going off behind me. While they would put out the fire most likely, a lot would be damaged from the water. Not just on this floor either. Good.

Well, given that humans are herd animals that run from danger, the stairwells instantly flooded with people walking towards the ground floor to get away from the noise. I heard some grumbling about fire drills, but when they saw that people were coming out of the twenty fifth floor soaking wet from the sprinklers, I noticed a shift in their demeanor. Regardless, I had somewhere to be. I pushed through the crowds of people, slowly making my way back up to the thirty first floor. The thought occurred to me that maybe I should have picked a floor higher up, but I didn't want to risk coming across the security guards.

After a few good minutes of pushing and shoving to get up the stairs, I finally made it to my destination. I put my hand in my pocket and gripped the gun. Hopefully he'd still be up here, or at least just starting his descent to the lower floors. I hadn't come across him on my way down, but there was still a second stairwell.

I cracked the door open and poked my head through the doorway. The floor seemed relatively quiet. Not surprising, really. I made a beeline for Stephenson's office. If he was on this floor, he'd be there. I reached it and looked through the window. The venetian blinds had been closed, but there was just enough space in between them that I could peek inside. I crouched down a touch to get a better look between one of the slits. I grinned when I saw Stephenson sitting at his desk, his phone in his hand, talking angrily to someone on the other end. However, my grin fell just as quickly when I noticed that he had a bodyguard facing the door in there with him, gun drawn. I'd bet my duffel bag that the door was locked, too.

Seems I'd need to be patient.

I crouched down further and snuck to another side of the office, I peeked through another opening in the blinds. He continued yelling at someone on the other end. I grimaced and checked my surroundings to make sure that I wouldn't be surprised by someone popping out of one of the cubicles. Content that I didn't have a stalker for the moment, I turned back to the person I was stalking and pressed my ear against the window, hoping to hear what he was saying.

It, uh, it didn't work. I could hear his voice, but I couldn't make out any particulars beyond some vague words. Certainly nothing that would help out. Though if he wasn't talking about me and/or Rarity, I'd eat my hat.

Finally, after another ten minutes or so, Stephenson put the phone down and rubbed his forehead. Well good. I'm glad I could give him a migraine. He raised his head and said something to his bodyguard, who promptly walked over to the door and unlocked it. Now or never. I silently moved towards the door as Stephenson and the bodyguard exited the office. I had one shot at this. Do it right, and I'd find out where Rarity was. Do it wrong, and I'd be riddled with bullets and she'd never be free. I waited until the two were about five steps away from the office door before making my move. Before either Stephenson or his bodyguard could register what was going on, I pulled my gun out of my jacket, rushed up to the bodyguard, pistol whipped him in the back of the head as hard as I could, then pointed the gun at Stephenson.

I did it all so fast, mostly because of adrenaline, that Stephenson didn't even finish turning around by the time I had my gun at his head.

"Surprise, motherfucker."

Stephenson's mouth twisted into an "O" of surprise for a few moments. I gave him a smug grin despite my instincts telling me that I wasn't completely in control of the situation quite yet. Either way, I didn't have a gun to my head. The bodyguard flopped down like a rag doll when I hit him. He wouldn't be waking up.

Uh... possibly ever.

Focus, TD, this is about Rarity right now.

Stephenson's shocked expression quickly faded away, and he replaced it with a vaguely amused smile. He raised his hands and gave me a little golf clap.

"Well done, Mr. Powell. Very well done. You were right about me continually underestimating you." He crossed his arms and leaned against a cubicle. "Pulling the fire alarm to clear the building to get me alone? You can be resourceful."

"Pulling the fire alarm?" I snorted. "No, no, I'm not quite as cliche as that. I put a Hot Pocket wrapped in tin foil in a microwave set for an hour. I'm going to guess that several floors are absolutely ruined by now."

I could tell he didn't want me to see his eye twitch, but that didn't change the fact that I totally did. My smug smile widened as I watched his brain re-boot. Nice to see him on the receiving end of annoyance for a change.

"You truly do enjoy being a thorn in my side, don't you, Mr. Powell?"

"Gee, what gave it away, the big, smug grin?" I chuckled and motioned to his office with my gun. "But how about we take this conversation somewhere more private and comfortable, yeah?"

"Very well, if you insist. You are the one with the gun, after all."

"Tons of them, actually," I said as we walked into his office. "If your bodyguards burst came onto this floor right now, I could hold them off for quite some time. However, given that I suspect that there is an actual fire in this place, I'm hoping we won't be disturbed for a while." I closed the door behind us and pushed the chair in front of his desk to the side so that I could have a clear view of him. I motioned for him to sit down on the chair, while I perched on top of his desk.

"So let me guess, you want to know where Rarity is," he said dryly.

"And he gets it in one!" I cried, clapping my hands together.

"And you have me here at gunpoint in a presumably empty building to interrogate me on her whereabouts. Am I right in suspecting that you'll shoot me if I don't give up her location?"

"Ooh, you're so good at this game!" I scooched back farther on the desk, knocking over a bunch of knick-knacks. "So, since you already know the rules, it shouldn't be too big of a challenge to win. So, I already know she's close by, because I traced that phone call of yours, but I'd like to know the exact location." I tilted my head to him in a sarcastic bow. "If you don't mind."

"Of course, of course. Some preliminary questions before we begin, if I may. Let's say you find her. You know know she's under heavy guard. She's our most valuable asset currently. We've made several medical breakthroughs by studying her. Breakthroughs that have saved countless lives and advanced medicine in amazing ways." He interlocked his fingers and put them behind his head before leaning back in his chair. "Why would you want to stop that? She's doing more good here than she ever did in Equestria, or in your care. Especially in your care."

"She saved the entire planet from utter annihilation in Equestria. Several times."

"Yes, we--" His retort died in his throat, and he cleared his throat before continuing. "Regardless, what she's doing here is wonderful, Mr. Powell. we think we're on the verge of another breakthrough! The science behind the magic in her blood is fascinating. Even if you're heartless and don't care about all of that, how do you intend on successfully escaping with her once you've found her? We're the kind of organization that can attack and FBI convoy. I think we can--"

I had enough. I put my foot on his computer and pushed as hard as I could, sending it right off of the desk, where it smashed onto the floor. I got up from the desk and looked at the wreckage to find the important parts, and when I found one, I stomped on it.

"What are you doing?! There are important files in there!" Stephenson cried.

"I'm positive there are," I responded evenly, keeping the gun trained on him. "But let's be real: you can always get another porn collection. We have the internet." I kicked the remains of the computer one more time before hopping back on the desk. "Now, as for your company files, I'm certain you have backups of almost everything that was in your poor, dearly departed computer." I cleared my throat before picking up a piece of paper that looked important and tearing it into several different pieces.

"Now, here's my preliminary set of questions. You know that every human has their breaking point? Every one is different, but they're all there. In everyone. Once a person is pushed past their breaking point, they start doing things that they're really going to regret later. So, when you take a man who has already been torn from all he's known and loved twice, send armed soldiers to attack him and kidnap a daughter figure who trusts him implicitly and sees him as the one person she can trust on the whole planet, then sends an assassin to murder this same man, followed by taunting him with the sound of his ward's voice, do you count that as actions that would push a man past the point where he's rational?"

Stephenson's relaxed demeanor slowly started to fade away as it dawned on him that he might actually be in trouble. Glad he got it.

"Now..." I unzipped my bag and took a sawed-off shotgun I looted from Maxot out, causing Stephenson's eyes to go wide. "You see that experimenting on Rarity and using her to advance medicine is a good thing, and objectively I suppose you'd be right. But let me make one thing perfectly clear: it's just you and me in this place right now, and I don't give a tuppenny fuck about what you've done with Rarity's magical blood. You're going to give her back to me with all haste. Do you believe I'm serious now?"

Stephenson's mouth flopped up and down as he tried to formulate a response. I kept the pistol trained on him, visibly fingering the trigger to add a little incentive to him answering. When he didn't I clicked my tongue.

"One question: where is Rarity?"

"M-Mr. Powell, I assure you that it is in your best interests if we simply make a deal. We were wrong to not take you with us at the start to be a companion for her, I see that now. We can do that now, right?"

"You'll just shoot me the instant you have the chance. No dice."

"Surely we can work something out. You can't just kill me!"

"You're not answering my question," I said in a sing-song voice. "I want to know where she is." I lowered the gun and pointed it straight at his left knee. "Five seconds, Mr. Stephenson."

"I... wait, no!" he cried, curling into a ball on his chair. "I-in the basement of this building we have a secret laboratory where we do much of our research. We have her there. That's why the call was traced here."

"Hmm." I nodded thoughtfully and rubbed at my chin. "Interesting." I raised my gun to his head, giving him a grimace. "Not buyin' it."

"NO!" he shrieked. "You go down to the basement level, then take your first right. You'll see a door with a keypad. The code is 7-9-4-9. I swear I'm not lying!"

"Hmm." I sighed and slowly lowered the gun. "7-9-4-9, huh?" Stephenson began vigorously nodding. "Well, I guess I'd better head on down there, then."

"There is one thing, though."

"Oh?"

"Given that the fire alarm went off, we've most likely enacted a protocol for a fire evacuation for Rarity. They're taking her somewhere off-site."

"I see." I raised my gun again. "And that would be...?"

"It's about four hours from here. If you follow the main highway east for that long, you'll come up on a Avelon Street. Take a right there. You can't miss it."

"Good, good." I stood up from the desk and put the shotgun back in my bag. "Well, I have everything I need from you, then. If you're lying, you'd better pray that I don't find out, because I already got you once. It wouldn't be hard to do it again, alright?" With that, I began walking out of his office, leaving him shivering on the chair. Just as I reached the door, a thought struck me, and I turned back around. "So I just realized that the second I leave, you're going to tell them that I'm coming. Maybe get the police involved or something? You'll try to hinder my efforts in some way, and you'll likely be very successful at it. I walked over to his desk and smashed his phone. Then, once he'd relaxed, I raised my gun and shot him twice. Once in each kneecap.

Somehow the screams were louder than the gunshots, and my conscience was absolutely ripping into me. I hastily dropped my gun into my duffel bag, not really wanting anything to do with it right then. I groaned and put my head in my hands as I walked out of the office, pointedly ignoring the security guard who still wasn't moving.

I couldn't focus on that. I had to get Rarity back. I just needed to get Rarity back.