• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 4,242 Views, 202 Comments

TD's Little Rarity 1.5: This Time It's Personal - BronyWriter



While being transported by the government, the convoy is attacked and Rarity is taken.

  • ...
21
 202
 4,242

I'm Coming For You

I had a lead. I just needed to take it.

I had in my possession a cellphone belonging to an assassin with direct contact with the somebody who had Rarity. If I could trace the call, I could figure out exactly where Rarity was.

Of course, that left the trouble of figuring out what to do with that information. I could tell Johnson and Tanner about it and get them to trace the call, but that could mean an open attempt to get Rarity back, and I didn't want that. It needed to be done quickly and quietly and... well, it was a stupid thought, but I figured that I was the best guy to get her back. If I did figure out where she was and saw that I could possibly get in, then I was going to do that. If I saw that it was some compound, then I'd bit the bullet and call the cavalry.

Then get taken to a government facility and have Rarity be put in the exact same situation that she was in before. Yeah, you can see my issue with that plan. We were perfectly content with just living quietly in my room at school. I had enough money to hide us somewhere until Celestia and the Elements came for us. Whenever that was. I'd get us a house somewhere secluded where she could be free.

... Yeah, I read My Little Dashie to prepare for this kind of thing. I didn't know if it would work, but it was my best idea for when I got Rarity back.

I pushed that aside and stepped on the gas. One step at a time. I needed to go about tracing the call, and for that, I had to find Tizzy.

Well, not "find" per se, I knew where she lived; I just had to hope that she was in so that she could trace the phone call for me. You see, my friend Tizzy was a hacker. Yes, I had a hacker in my back pocket. I took a few night courses at a community college in computers to see if I couldn't figure it out myself and that's where I met Tizzy. She enrolled in the class to, and I quote, "mess with the professor." She repeatedly remotely shut down his computer in the middle of class just for the heck of it.

We became instant buddies.

Well, I needed her now more than I ever have before. I hadn't told Tizzy about who I really was and what I was really doing in this part of Denver. It never came up, and she's not the kind of person who would believe me if I told her. Well, I don't need her to believe me. I just need her to trace this phone for me. If she can do that, I'm in business. Hopefully it'll work.

I pulled up to her small house and hopped out of the car. I ran to the trunk and threw the duffel bag over my shoulder. Given that it is as late as it is, I figured that she'd be in, but one never knew. I really needed her to be in, though. I couldn't wait for her to get back. Not with this shady organization now knowing without a doubt that I was a threat. I ran to her door and rang the doorbell three times, following that up by repeatedly pounding on it. I glanced over to her driveway. Her car was there, so I knew that she would be.

She didn't respond after a minute, so I rang the doorbell three times again. I was about to pound on the door again, but it was thrown open by a very unhappy looking Tizzy who was glaring daggers at me. Given that her hair was messed up and she was wearing a ratty t-shirt and sweatpants, I gathered that I woke her up.

"You have three, I repeat, three seconds to tell me why you're on my porch in the middle of the night pounding on my door. One, two--"

"Would you like a challenge?"

Tizzy's glare faded and she raised an eyebrow in interest. She leaned against her door frame and crossed her arms. "I'm listening. Three second rule still applies."

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the phone from the hitman that had just come after me. "I need you to trace the last call this phone made. It's a matter of life and death."

Tizzy scoffed and rolled her eyes. "A matter of life and death and a challenge are two separate things, Jason. Asking me if I can trace a call is like asking you if you can shoot a watermelon from five feet with a shotgun."

I shoved the phone in her direction. "Then you get to make an easy ten thousand dollars, don't you?"

That woke her up and improved her mood.

"Uh..." She straightened up and blinked a few times. "What?"

"You do this for me and I'll give you ten thousand dollars cash right here, right now."

Tizzy looked down at the phone and ran a hand through her hair. "And I'm doing this because...?"

I scoffed. "You really want to ask questions?"

She scoffed in return. "You really have ten thousand dollars?"

I vigorously nodded and offered her the phone. "Yes I do, now will you help me or not?"

Tizzy sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "I'm going to regret this somehow, aren't I?"

She shook her head and jerked her head to tell me to come inside. She stepped aside and I walked into her house. She snatched the cellphone out of my hand and opened up the back to do whatever it was she needed to do to trace the call. She walked towards her computer room and I attempted to follow, but she held out a hand to stop me. "Look, Jason, you know the rules; nobody comes into my computer room, 'kay?"

I rolled my eyes and sat down on her couch. "Fine. Just make it quick, okay?"

She clicked her tongue and walked into her computer room. "Mister bossy here." She closed the door partially so that I couldn't see what she was doing, but enough that we could still talk. "So what's so important about this call that you have to come banging on my door this late at night to get it traced? What, some girl you never met in person scorn you?"

I chuckled and unzipped the bag so that I could begin counting out the money. "Nothing so benign. You wouldn't believe me if I told you. There are a lot of parts to the story, actually, and you wouldn't believe a single one."

She rolled out of her computer room on her rolling chair and shot me a grimace of disbelief. "Uh-huh. You know you're really not as enigmatic as you believe, nor as important in the grand scheme of things. You can stop being cryptic with me. I'm not gonna laugh."

I bit my lip and put the money down on her coffee table on top of her old computer magazines. If she was going to be asking questions, I might as well tell her. It's not like I was going to see her again or she'd believe me, right?

"Well, I'm in the witness protection program. The person you're tracing is the reason why I am in said program,"

Tizzy raises her eyebrow and spins her chair so that she's facing me completely. "What did you do? Did you rat out some big drug dealer or something?"

I crossed my arms and leaned back on the couch. "I wish it was something that simple. I was involved in the capture of a big government secret by a shady organization that you are now tracing." I looked past Tizzy into her computer room. "If you can find out who called that phone, I can get what was taken from me back."

Tizzy frowned and tilted her head. "Taken from you or the government?"

"Me then the government." I deeply exhaled and rubbed my temples. "Now I'm going to get what was taken from me back, go into hiding from both groups and hopefully just... disappear for good."

Tizzy's face fell and she scooted closer to me. She leaned forward and stared at me. "So... this could be the last time that I ever see you?"

I grimaced and looked over at her. "Yeah. It probably will be. I wish it didn't have to be, but... yeah." I gave her a sad smile and straightened up. "I'll miss hanging out with you, Tiz. You're one of the few people who can keep up with me in the snarcasm department."

Tizzy snorted and managed a small smile of her own. "Yeah, well, sarcasm is what separates man from beast." She stood up and walked over to the couch. She sat down next to me and leaned her head against my shoulder. "I like you, dude. You're weird and secretive about a lot of stuff, but... I like you." Tizzy ran a hand through her hair. "And I don't even know your real name?"

"'Fraid ya don't." My small smile fell and I patted her on the head. "It'll be okay, Tiz. If I can find a way to see you again, maybe even show you what I'm going after, I will. Promise."

Tizzy straightened up and smirked at me. "It's a promise, then." She stood up and walked towards her computer room. "It should be done by now. The results should be in."

Tizzy walked into the room and I heard the clacking of a few computer keys as she did... whatever it is that Tizzy does to do what she does. After a few more seconds, during which I get her money out and put it on the table, she walked out of the room with a piece of paper in her hand. I noticed that her face was pale. "Whatever you had was wanted by some pretty big people. The call was sent from Roshab Inc."

I frowned and cocked my head. "The pharmaceutical company?"

"Yeah. I don't know why they decided to go after you, but they're not a small business."

I nodded and got to my feet. "They're headquartered in San Diego, California, right?"

"Sure are." Tizzy walked over to me and handed me the paper. "That's where the call came from too."

"Then that's where I'm headed." I zipped up the bag and slung it back over my shoulder. I needed to hit the road as soon as possible if I was going to get Rarity back sooner rather than later. "It was nice knowing you, Tizzy. If I run into you again, we gotta hang out, okay?"

Tizzy walked up to me and hugged me. "Definitely, dude. Be careful, okay?"

I snorted and returned the hug. "When am I not?"

"I'm not going to dignify that with an answer." Tizzy broke away from the hug and crossed her arms. "Walk away in one piece if you can. I'd hate to hear that I sent you to your death."

I shrugged. "I'm the one who walked in." With that, I turned around and walked towards the door. It was time to hit the road.

"Wait..." I turned around for Tizzy's last words. "What's your real name?"

I smirked at her. "TD."

"TD?"

"TD. Just those letters. They don't stand for anything."

Tizzy stared at me in disbelief for a few moments before breaking out into rambunctious laughter. "That's the stupidest name I've ever heard! I mean, TD? That's it?"

I grimaced and let her laugh it up. It wasn't the first time that somebody had made fun of the simplicity of my name. I was definitely used to it by this point. She wasn't laughing for very long at any rate. Just long enough that I would have started to walk out if she had gone on much longer. But she wasn't going on for too long.

"So TD, huh?" She giggled and wiped her eyes. "Literally just TD?"

"TD Harrison Powell."

She chuckled and shook her head. "They just don't give babies good names anymore."

"They sure don't Tizzy."

She frowned at me and shoved me pseudo-playfully. "Hey, I like my name, thank you. It's unique and is not just random letters."

I smirk at her and shove her back. "Whatever you say, Tiz, whatever you say." My smile falls and I take a deep breath and scratch the back of my neck. "I have to go now. I need to get back what was taken from me as soon as possible."

Tizzy's smile falls too, and she subtly nods. "Yeah. I know. Just be careful, okay? I really mean it, dude. Be careful. If these guys are so powerful that you're getting put in the Witness Protection Program for getting on the wrong side of them..."

"Yeah." I nod and adjust the strap of the bag. "Yeah, I know. You should have seen what it was like when they took her from me."

Tizzy cocked her head. "Her?"

I nodded. "Her."

Tizzy and I shared another hug for a few moments. "I have to go. Thanks for everything. Destroy the phone, okay?"

"'Kay."

We broke away and, knowing there was nothing else really to say, and that I had to go, I walked out of her house. I gave her one last look and a small salute before getting into my car. I used my phone to look up the HQ for Roshab Inc. If it was in California, I had a long drive in front of me. I found the location, punched it into the GPS, and sped off into the night.