• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 19,769 Views, 919 Comments

Heart of Diamonds - APoeticHeart



Rarity discovers an abandoned human child during a nightly stroll through Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 919
 19,769

Chapter Fifteen

As I wait for Connor to get changed into his clothes for the day, I can feel tears sting my eyes at the cruel thoughts that distasteful voice put my head. Yes I admit, I’ve always fantasized about the idea of having a servant pamper me, answer to my every beck and call, and treat me like a princess. However, to ask that of a sweet, young little boy such as my son would just be barbaric of me.


I close my eyes to subdue my tears and let out a heavy sigh. Suddenly I feel something touching my foreleg and I open my eyes up to look down and see a concerned look on Connor’s face. “Mommy, are you okay?” The worry in his voice stings my heart.


Reaching up with a hoof, I gently stroke at his mane “Yes sweetheart, Mommy’s okay. I’ve just got something in my eye.” I let out a small sniffle as I give him a warm, reassuring smile. “You are a true gentleman in your new outfit today Connor.” I use my hoof to gently rub at his cheek.


He smiles up happily at me “Thank you Mommy.” He hugs my foreleg and I wrap my other one around his small form. I rub along his back comfortably and give him a kiss on top of his head.


“Are you ready to go outside sweetheart and take a tour of Canterlot?” I give him a warm smile as he looks up at me and gives me a nod.


“Yes Mommy. I would like that.” He gives a light blush on his cheeks and I give one in return as I reach up and stroke at his mane.


I bend on my forelegs “Climb on up darling.” I let out a giggle as he carefully climbs up onto my back and wraps his arms around my neck. I give his little hands a kiss and look back at him “Let’s just go say bye the girls right quick, then we’ll go outside, okay precious?” I nuzzle at his cheek, earning a blush.


He lets out a giggle, giving me a nod “Okay Mommy.” He sighs happily as he lays his head down on my shoulder and I lay my mane over his back to keep him warm as I trot to the dining hall.


As we arrive, I see the others conversing among one another as they turn to give us warm smile. “Well girls, we’re going outside, but we’ll be back in time to go back to Ponyville.” They give us a nod in agreement.


I wave a hoof at them as I see Connor lifting a hand to wave as well “Goodbye everyone, I’ll see you in a little bit.” He gives them a warm smile and turned to the princesses “Goodbye Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, it was nice meeting you both.”


They bow their heads and give him a warm smile as Celestia speaks “It was a pleasure of mine and my sister’s to meet you Connor. We are proud to have you a part of our family and a part of our home here in Equestria.”


Luna spoke up next “May you young Connor and your new family have a safe trip back to Ponyville.”


I bow my head to the two royal sisters, nod at my friends, and then I turn to trot out of the dining hall to leave the castle.


As we depart from the castle and into the city of Canterlot, I turn to Connor “Sweetheart, I’m truly sorry that we don’t have enough time to really enjoy the day here in Canterlot. I completely forgot about the train coming to pick us up today.” I give him a little frown.


He gives me a warm smile, hugging my neck a little tighter, causing my heart to melt. “It’s okay Mommy. I’m just happy to have a family and a mommy,” he speaks happily.


I can’t help but let out a light-hearted giggle as I nuzzle at his cheek and give him a tender kiss on the forehead. “And I’m happy to have such a precious little boy as a son,” I speak proudly, giving him a blushing smile. “I know what Connor, how would you like to go try one of the best donuts in all of Equestria? There is a stallion by the name of Donut Joe and he makes some of the most delicious sweets you’ve ever had.”


He beams happily “That sounds nice Mommy. I’ve never had a donut before though, because Sir always said good boys and girls deserved desserts, and he always told me that I was a bad little boy so I didn’t deserve any special treats.” His beaming smile suddenly turns into a frown, but I reach a hoof up to gently rub at his cheek.


“Well darling, you are a good and very sweet little gentleman. So don’t let those mean things that ruffian say get to you.” I give him a wink “Now let’s go get you a nice sweet treat my son.” I turn my head and start trotting forward to Donut Joe’s.


Trotting along the streets I see ponies giving us a warm wave and it puts a smile on my face that at least some will be welcoming toward Connor and not give him stares. Maybe the ponies of Ponyville just needs a little time at adjust to having a human in their home.


Yes, they are welcoming to him now, but what will happen when they discover that you’ve decided to adopt the little human boy? Do you think they will still be courteous and respectful you? No! They will cast you out of the high class society that you so desperately yearn to be a part of and look down at you as nothing more than a charity case.


Don’t you ever learn to just shut up and leave me alone! Like I’ve told you before, yes I have always dreamed of living the lifestyle of a rich and famous fashionista, but that slowly faded away once I met my friends. Also, I didn’t adopt Connor because of charity, but because I love him unconditionally, and he deserves a family and mother who will love him.


I try to block out the voice as we approach the donut shop and open the doors with my magic. The scent of warm fresh baked treats waft through the whole place, bring a dreamy smile to my face. I turn to look at my son as he has the same smile on his face and he lets out a sigh of softness.


Letting out a giggle, I give him a warm smile “It smells good in here, doesn’t it Connor?” I nuzzle at his cheek.


He blushes and nods his head “Mm… yes it does Mommy. I can’t wait to try a donut.” He smiles brightly as I trot up to the counter.


“Good morning and welcome to Donut Joe’s, how may I help you?” The unicorn stallion greets us. “Well hello Ms. Rarity, how are you doing on this fine day?” He gives me a warm smile.


I give him a nod “I’m doing just marvelous Joe.” I smile warmly as I turn my head to Connor “Joe, I would like for you to meet some pony… well someone special.” I turn to my side for Joe to see Connor.


“Well, hello there young one, and who might you be?” Joe asks, greeting Connor with a warm smile.


I clear my throat “Joe, this precious little boy is my son, Connor.” I smile proudly and brightly as I look at my son “Connor darling, this is Donut Joe, the proprietor and chief baker of this fine establishment.” I let out a little giggle.


Conner nods his head in respect as he gives Joe a warm smile “Hello Mr. Joe, it’s good to meet you. Mm… it smells very good in here.” He lets out a soft sigh.


“Well, thank you Connor. It is a pleasure to meet you as well, and may I say making donuts has been a passion of mine since I was just a little colt about around your age or maybe a little older.” He lets out a chuckle “Anyways though, so not to bore you with the story of my life, what would you like Connor and yourself Ms. Rarity?”


I look at him “I’d just like a cup of your fresh brewed coffee and a bagel.” I give him a nod as I turn to Connor “What would you like sweetheart?”


He looks behind Joe at the wide assortment of donuts and turns to Joe “Mr. Joe, I’ve never had a donut before.” He gives a frown, causing me to give one in return.


Joe lightly waved a hoof “That’s okay young man. I think I’ve got the perfect first donut for you to try, and I'll fix you a cup of hot chocolate to go with it.” He gives us a nod and trots around behind the counter to prepare our order.


I pull out my little bag of bits I brought with me to help pay for our little dessert.


Joe returns levitating a small box containing my bagel and Connor’s donut, and a drink carrier for our beverages “That will be six bits Ms. Rarity.”


I give him a nod and levitate six bits out of my bag, giving them to Joe. I levitate our order and give him a nod “Thank you again Joe.”


“Thank you Mr. Joe.” Connor speaks in his soft and polite tone.


Joe gives us a nod ‘You both are very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful day Connor and Ms. Rarity.” He gives us a nod as I turn to trot outside with our food.


As I trot outside of the donut shop I look for a table for us to sit at and I find one gently shaded by an umbrella. I trot over to it and look at Connor “Aha… here we go darling, a nice shaded area.” I give him a warm smile as I carefully place our food on the table and bend down on my forelegs to let him climb off.


He climbs up in a chair as I sit on my haunches. “This is a nice spot Mommy.” He gives me a warm smile as I open the box and place his donut on a napkin that Joe provided and his hot chocolate in front of him. He looks up at me “Thank you Mommy.”


I give him a nod “You’re very welcome my precious. I hope enjoy your very first donut here in Equestria Connor.” I give him a blushing smile as I take a bite out of my bagel, and then take a drink of my coffee.


He takes a bite out of his donut and makes a sigh of comfort “Mm… oh Mommy, that is good! It’s very sweet and warm.” He looks up at me with a bright smile and takes a drink of his hot chocolate “Mm… the hot chocolate is good too Mommy! I’ve never had hot chocolate before either.”


I reach a hoof over while I use my magic to levitate the bagel and gently touch his hand “Well don’t worry darling, as long as you have a loving home with me and my friends you can have the childhood that you so truly deserve.” I give him a warm smile as he gives me one in return.


After a few minutes, we finish our desserts, and seeing that the time for the Friendship Express to arrive draws near I look at my son “Well sweetheart, I guess it’s time for us to meet the others at the train station.”


He carefully climbs of his chair and walks over to me “Yes Mommy.” I bend down on my forelegs to allow him to climb up, and then I start our trek to the station.


As I trot along the streets, I turn to Connor “Darling, when we return to Ponyville, how would you like to meet my parents, your grandparents?” I nuzzle at his cheek.


He gives me a bright smile and nods his head happily “That sounds nice Mommy.” I can see tears sting his eye, but I can sense that they are tears of joy for the little darling in finally having a family. I give him a tender kiss on the forehead as I continue to trot toward the train station.


I just hope mother and father will be welcoming to Connor as all my friends and also Sweetie Belle. I let out a soft sigh.

Author's Note:

Well, it's time to meet the grandparents. :pinkiehappy: Also, it seems that voice won't be going away for a while. :pinkiegasp: