• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 19,769 Views, 919 Comments

Heart of Diamonds - APoeticHeart



Rarity discovers an abandoned human child during a nightly stroll through Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 919
 19,769

Chapter Two

As I sleep peacefully during the night I hear a scream which causes me to immediately shoot up in bed. I remove my sleeping mask and quickly climb off my bed to trot in front of it where I see Connor sitting up trembling. He has his hind legs folded up against his chest and hugs them close to him with his head in his forelegs.


I look down at the little colt worriedly as I carefully sit down on my haunches beside him and place a hoof gently on his shoulder. He looks up at me with fear in his eyes as tears start to prick the edges and his lower lip quivering. I stroke his back to try and calm him down until he does something that melts my heart. He scoots close to me and wraps his little forelegs around my free foreleg and lays his head against it whimpering.


Although this gesture melts my heart it also breaks it, because of the pain I can sense coming from the small child. I use my hoof to gently stroke along his side as I look down at him clinging to my foreleg like he is afraid of losing me. I feel tears sting my own eyes as I watch him shake like a leaf.


While I stroke his side he looks up at me allowing his tears to cascade down his cheek “M-Ms Rarity I-I’m sorry for waking you. P-please forgive me,” he unwrap his forelegs around me and folds his hooves in his lap lowering his head. My heart aches even more for the poor little thing so I continue to stroke his side.


“Connor, can you look at me please?” I speak as softly as I can as he raises his head to look up at me and I see a frown on his face. I softly close my eyes a bit to subdue the tears that threaten to shed and I let out a deep sigh. I open them up and look down warmly at him “Now little one, there is nothing to apologize for, okay?”


He nods lightly “Y-yes Ma’am,” he reaches up with one of his forelegs to wipe away his tears as I give him a sad smile. I can feel that this sweet child has been hurt deeply, but I don’t know what could have caused him so much pain. I shake the thought out of my head, because I don’t want to bother Connor with barraging him with a lot of questions.


As I sit on my haunches a he sit up against my fore leg, it reminds me of how my little sister Sweetie Belle would act after having a bad dream. I continue to gently stroke along Connor’s side as I feel him start to calm his shaking a little more and I look down at him “Connor, if it is okay for me to ask, did you have a bad dream?”


He nods as I see him carefully wrap his forelegs around mine again. I gently lift my hoof to stroke at his mane as I try to think of what to do for this small child to ease his fears. An idea pops in my head and I look down at Connor with a warm smile as I carefully levitate him up turning him gently onto his back. I raise my foreleg so it is underneath him and I slowly levitate him onto it with his head resting in the crook.


I sit back fully on my haunches as I lift my other foreleg up underneath the other one as I cradle him close to my chest fur. He looks up at me with a light smile with his little fore hooves folded together. I begin to slowly rock him in my forelegs as I give him a warm smile “I used to do this all the time with my little sister Sweetie Belle when she had nightmares Connor,” I lean my head down to lightly nuzzle at his cheek.


I see his smile grow a little and a blush come upon his cheeks. He looks up at me with the softest of blue eyes I have ever seen “M-Ms Rarity, is your sister nice like you?” His voice still so small as he asks.


A look of curiosity forms on my face, but I look down at him and nod “Oh yes darling, Sweetie Belle is very nice. I promise you will get to meet her and I know she will be happy to meet you,” I let out a small giggle as I continue to rock the little colt. I see him let out a soft yawn as he blinks his little eyes tiredly and I carefully nuzzle at his cheek one last time. I watch him softly close his eyes and I continue to rock him a little bit longer.


Making sure he is sleeping peacefully in my forelegs I look down at the makeshift bed and then at my bed as a thought occurs “Maybe just for tonight. Yes just for tonight, and I will try to find him a nicer and more comfortable place to sleep,” I carefully levitate him from my forelegs so not to disturb him and I trot over to climb onto my bed.


I lie down on my side and outstretch a foreleg as I levitate the little colt over to me. I lower him onto my bed and curl my foreleg around his small form as if I was cradling him. I pull the blankets over us and I nuzzle lightly at the top of his head as I see him curl up in my foreleg. I feel my tears start to sting my eyes once more as I see Connor smile softly as he sleeps.


No Rarity, this is just temporary. You are unable to keep a colt, because you have a successful fashion business and you won’t have enough time to look after him,” I sigh contently for this is true. As I look at him I can’t help but smile “But he is just so precious and well-mannered. Yet when he talks, his voice is so small and broken, that I can feel he has been hurt,” I close my eyes softly to prevent my tears from trying to escape again.

Another sigh of content escapes my lips as I open my eyes back up to look at the little colt sleeping soundly cradled in my foreleg. I think to myself as I look at him “What in Equestria happened to you little darling?” I give him a sad smile as I let out a soft of my own. I give Connor one more light nuzzle on the cheek before closing my eyes to go to sleep.


A single tear falls and lands onto my pillow.