• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 19,747 Views, 919 Comments

Heart of Diamonds - APoeticHeart



Rarity discovers an abandoned human child during a nightly stroll through Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 919
 19,747

Chapter Nine

After returning home with Connor after the sleepover, the day seems to speed by as fast as Rainbow when she is in a race, and now the time draws near for the gala to arrive. I watch him with a warm smile on my face while he eats a tomato sandwich I wanted to fix him before we leave for the event. There is a feeling of affection I have for the little darling which flows through my heart, and I can’t fight it.


Oh no. Please tell me you aren’t considering what I think you are considering.


Would you please be quiet?! I don’t know what I am going to do about Connor yet. Besides, why do you care so much about my decision concerning the care of this sweet child?


I just don’t want to see you throw all the years of hard work you have put into your career as fashonista away over a little kid. Also, he is going to embarrass you at the gala. Just imagine all those high class, sophisticated Canterlot ponies would be gawking, and gossiping about how a top notch clothes designer has lowered herself by taking in foreign creatures. Even worse, what if they would to say you have lowered yourself by taking in a lowly peasant.


“Shut up…shut up…shut up!” I yell, clenching my eyes shut, and slamming my hooves down on the table releasing my frustration. I’ve had enough of this nagging voice inside my head jabbing away at me with it’s narcissistic remarks, and hurtful words about Connor. Suddenly I hear the shatter of glass, and I shoot my eyes open to look over at the child with a look of fear in his eyes, trembling like a leaf, and I turn to see his glass of apple juice on the floor.


“Please Ms. Rarity, don’t hurt me. I didn’t mean to… it was an accident.” He lets out a whimper, and huddles himself up into a ball on the chair.


My heart aches as I see him like this as I levitate a dish rag over to wipe up the spilt juice, and levitate it into the laundry room to be washed later. I then levitate the broom and dustpan over to sweep up the broken glass, and throw away in the garbage. I turn my attention to Connor still trembling in his chair, and I carefully trot over to him.


He is whimpering, shuddering with sobs, and hugging his torso with his little arms. I see his small lips quivering, and I feel tears sting my eyes. I lift a hoof up, and gently stroke at his side to maybe try and calm him down.

“Connor darling, I would never hurt you for making a mess, and it was just a little one. Please sweetheart, calm down.” I give him a warm, reassuring smile, and I can feel him start to calm his shaking under the touch of my hoof as I continue to stroke at his side. I sit down on my haunches by the chair, looking at him softly “I am so sorry precious for yelling like that earlier, and scaring you.”


He carefully sits up in the chair, reaching up with a hand to wipe at his eyes, where a couple tears shed. He folds his hands in his lap, looking up into my eyes “N…no Ms. Rarity, you don’t need to be sorry for anything. I’m sorry for making a mess…I didn’t mean to.” He lowers his head to look down at his lap.


I use my hoof to rub up and down his back soothingly. I lean my head down to try and look into his eyes, until I spot silent tears rolling down his cheeks. I feel him shake under the touch of my hoof, and I can’t help but immediately pull him against my chest. I stroke at his side, laying my head on top of his, and making soft shushing sounds into his mane.


Aw…c’mon, not now. There is just a few minutes left until you have to meet your friends at Twilight’s, and leave for the gala. Do you have to do this now with the kid? He is a real baby.


You know what, for a voice of the mind, you sure do sound purely infantile. Now please silence yourself so I can give this child some comfort. There is something obviously bothering him, and you are just being senseless.


I let out a heavy sigh, stroking at the little darling’s side a little more, before carefully pulling him back to look down into his tear-stained eyes. I levitate a tissue over to wipe away at the tears on his cheeks, and I give him a warm smile. “Do you feel better now Connor?” I continue to hold him in my foreleg, with his back laying against the crook.


He sniffles, looking up at me, and gives me a light nod. “Yes Ma’am.” I smile warmly down at him, and give him a gentle kiss on the forehead.


“Sweetheart, may I ask you something?” He looks up at me and gives me a light nod. “Why do you think I would ever hurt you for making a simple mistake, such as spilling your apple juice? Does it have to do with that ‘Sir’ you told me about last night?”


His small lips quiver as he looks up at me, giving me a solemn nod. “Yes Ma’am.” He takes in a deep breath, shuddering a little, but I keep him wrapped in my foreleg, and stroke at his side. “When I would make a mess, Sir would yell at me, calling me a useless brat, and said that I was a waste of fresh air.” He shudders harder against my foreleg, and I pull him close against me.


He sniffles, looking up at me, and I feel tears stinging my eyes as I listen for him to continue “Sometimes he would… he would…” He becomes silent as he lowers his head again to look at his folded hands in his lap.


I stroke at his side soothingly “It’s okay darling, you can tell me. What would he do?” I lean in to nuzzle at his head comfortably.


He inhaled deeply, exhaling deeply, and continued. “He would beat me with his big leather belt.” He cries out as he turns to me, wrapping his arms tightly around my neck, but it doesn’t hurt me at all.


I immediately wrap him up with both of my forelegs, laying my head on his shoulder, with his on mine, and I feel him shaking hard with sobs. I hold him close with one foreleg, and rub along his back softly with the other one. “Oh, you poor baby, I am so sorry Connor you had to endure that.” I can’t hold my tears in any longer, and I allow them to roll down my cheeks.


I turn my head to gently kiss at his cheek, as I feel him release his tears into my fur. “Shh…. It’s okay darling, you don’t nothing to be afraid of anymore. I’ll protect you Connor…Shh.” I stroke along his back some more.


How dare that ruffian hurt such a precious little child?!


After several more minutes of holding Connor close, rubbing his back soothingly, and gently cooing to him, he is finally able to calm down. I give him a warm smile as he turns his head to look at me. “It’s okay precious, everything will be alright, I promise.” I give him a tender kiss on the forehead, and I gently levitate him onto my back.


I turn to smile softly at him “Now let’s go get dressed for the gala, and we will meet the girls at Twilight’s, okay sweetheart?” He gives me a light nod, and I trot out of the kitchen to head to my inspiration room.


I’m going to have to talk with the others and the princess tonight after the gala, but it looks like I have a choice to make.

Author's Note:

Next chapter is the gala, and expect a certain bratty, arrogant, and snobbish prince to be present. :pinkiegasp: