• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 19,767 Views, 919 Comments

Heart of Diamonds - APoeticHeart



Rarity discovers an abandoned human child during a nightly stroll through Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 919
 19,767

Prologue

The evening air of Equestria feels so refreshing while it brushes against my fur and through my mane as I trot through the streets of Ponyville. The glow of Princess Luna’s moon illuminating the sky gives it such a marvelous vision of beauty and no pony knows about beauty such as me, Rarity Belle. I am an expert on the art of beauty, for I am the top fashionista in all of Equestria if I do say so myself.



The peace and quiet of the evening always relaxes me after I spent a whole day of measuring, snipping, sewing, stitching, and completing elegant fashion ware for my many clients and my friends. I certainly do love my career, but I must admit it takes a toll on this old mare, and I simply need to just take time out of my busy schedule to enjoy myself. That is why coming out in the evening feels just right for a refined lady such as myself.



A few other ponies are outside enjoying the same evening stroll as me and I greet them by waving at them with a hoof. I take a deep breath of the fresh air “Mm… that is so relaxing,” I think to myself as I trot on. I can see that most of the businesses here in Ponyville are closed up except for Sugarcube Corner; the bakery where my good friend Pinkie Pie works and also lives at.



She sure is one of a kind with her exuberant behavior and unexplained ability to perform such actions that are impossible for the ordinary Earth pony. Yet I still love her all the same, because she always seems to make the day brighter with just a simple smile. If time allows, the best part of an off day of my duties as a fashionista, is going to one of Pinkie’s unforgettable parties. They are always something to look forward to.



I continue to trot on pass Sugarcube Corner as I make my way back to my home of Carousel Boutique which is also the place that I create my luxurious designs. Sighing softly, I smile up at the evening sky as I am bathed in the warm moonlight. Everything is going peaceful until I hear the noise of some pony crying “Hu… huh… huh… huh.”



Twitching my ears to get a good feeling of where the crying could be coming from, I turn my attention to one of the many alley ways of the town. “Hu… huh… huh… huh..,” I start to trot towards the alley as the crying becomes clearer. The pathway is cleared of any debris, which is what I admire about Ponyville is the citizens know how to keep the place clean and unpolluted.



However, I do see what appears to be a copy of the Ponyville newspaper laid over something that made a mound underneath it. I carefully trot closer to it “Hello, is some pony there,” I speak as softly so not to scare whatever or whoever it might be.



“Hu… huh… huh… huh..,” the only response I receive is more whimpering. I carefully trot closer to the newspaper until I am right up beside it. As I look over it I can see part of a yellow short mane peeking out from one end of the newspaper. Suddenly it starts to shake violently as I very carefully use a hoof to very gently lift the newspaper to uncover whatever the thing might be.



I immediately cover my mouth up with my hoof and gasp as before me lays a small creature which appears to be a
hairless ape except for the hair on its head. It looks like to be a very young colt wearing some raggedy clothes, and it’s hugging itself close with its forelegs trying to keep warm. I very carefully use my hoof to very gently touch it.



“Excuse me dear, are you o…,” before I can finish he snaps his head at me and I can see fear in his eyes. He suddenly sits up, and crawls backwards up against the wall of a house and trembles like a leaf. He hugs his hind legs with his forelegs close to his chest looking up at me wide eyed. I notice tears pricking at his eyes, and it breaks my heart.



I try to approach him until he speaks with a shaky tone “P-p-please d-don’t hurt m-me,” I hear him whimper as he trembles harder. I don’t know what kind of creature he is, but I can sense that he is very hurt. I very carefully lower myself down on my legs, not afraid to touch the cold dirty ground so I can try and calm the little colt.



He is so small huddled up in front of me against the wall. I try to give him a soft smile as I reach out a hoof to his side which he doesn’t resist, but he shakes even harder. My heart sinks at how scared he is of me, but I speak as softly as I can to try and comfort him.



“Hello little one, please don’t be afraid, I am not going to hurt you,” I gently reach up and rub at his shoulder. He continues to tremble at the touch of my hoof and whimpers. It hurts me to see such a colt this scared, even though he might not be a pony. I feel tears sting my eyes, but I do not let them shed so not to worry him “Can you maybe tell me how old you are little darling?”



I give him a light comforting smile and gently rub at his shoulder some more. I can hear him swallow deeply as he speaks in the same shaky tone as before “I-I-I am f-f-five years old M-Ma’am,” he looks at my hoof with a timid look. I look at him wide-eyed hearing how old he is and I think to myself “He is just a baby,” I frown.



“Thank you for telling me your age little one,” I give him a warm smile. I sigh softly as I look up at Luna’s moon “I know what sweetie, how about we get off this cold dirty ground, and I take you to my house to get you cleaned up?” He gives me a weak little nod and I smile softly at him. “Okay. Let me carry you on my back precious so you don’t have to walk,” I rub at his shoulder again.



He starts to whimper again and shakes his head “N-n-no Ma’am. I-I am afraid I-I will get your fur all dirty,” he lowers his head onto his knees. For being so young, he has such manners and it makes my heart smile. I think of something as I carefully sit up on my haunches and look down at the little colt.



“Come here darling,” I gently motion for him to come toward me with a fore hoof. He carefully stands up shaking on his hind legs. I give him a soft smile “It is okay dear, I won’t hurt you,” he very slowly inches toward me. I look down at him as he only comes up to the top of my forelegs “There you go sweetie, see I am not mean at all,” I give him a warm smile.



I very gently lay my fore leg around his small form and carefully bring him toward me in a hug. I feel him shake against me and I rub up and down his back to try and comfort him. “Shh… it is okay little one, there is no need to be afraid,” I see him look up at me with his small lips quivering.



I am appalled at the condition he is in. His yellow mane is all disheveled, and his clothes have tears in the top and bottom. Also, he is wearing nothing on his hooves and I just feel for this precious little colt. I rub a little more along his back and gently pat it. I look down my chest to see that there is no dirt on my pearl white fur.



Giving him a reassuring smile I softly say “You see there darling, you didn’t get any dirt on me. Now, how about you let me take you to my home for tonight?” I gently lift one of his fore hooves in mine and use the other hoof to rub the top of it.



He looks up at me with the slightest of smiles “Y-y-yes Ma’am,” he looks at his little hoof in mine as I see a tear fall from his eyes. I smile softly down at him and very carefully light up my horn. I envelope him in my magic, but I do it as gentle as I can so not to scare him. He shakes in my magical aura and looks up at me in fear as I very slowly levitate him up onto my back.



“It is okay dear,” I look back at him with a smile as he curls up on my back. He lets out a little whimper, but along with a small sigh. I smile warmly at him as a thought occurs “The poor little think has been hurt badly I can tell,” I sigh softly as I turn to trot ahead toward the boutique.



Upon arriving home, I carefully open the door with my magic so not to disturb the sleeping colt and quietly trot inside. I very carefully trot over to my measuring station so I can get his measurements to make him some new clothes. I look back at him and gently nuzzle at his cheek as he slowly opens his eyes “Darling, would it be okay if I maybe take your measurements? I will make you some new and more comfortable clothes,” I give him a warm smile as he gives me a soft nod.



I very carefully levitate him off my back and over in front of the mirrors. I sit down on my haunches before him and levitate my measuring tape, pencil, and notepad over to me. I look down at him as he continues to shake some, and my heart just aches for the poor child.



I reach a hoof to very gently rub along his foreleg “Little one, if it is okay for me to ask, could you maybe extend your forelegs for me?” He looks up at me with a confused look as I gently rub at his foreleg again “Oh, I am sorry dear,” I give him a warm smile as I carefully lift one of his hooves up in mine to extend a foreleg. He doesn’t resist as he lets me measure it, and then I measure his hind legs.



After I write down all of his measurements I hold his little hoof in my and pat it “You did a very good job letting me measure you sweetie,” I give him a soft smile as I gently levitate him onto my back. “Come with me darling and I will make you a new set of clothes to sleep in tonight,” he gives me a little nod as I trot upstairs to my bedroom/ inspiration room.



Entering my room I carefully levitate the little colt off my back and over to my bed so he can sit while I work on his new clothes. I look to see him fold his hooves in his lap and start to shake. I trot over to him and reach up to stroke his back “It is okay dear, you aren’t going to get my bed dirty if that is what you are worried about,” he raises his head to look into my eyes.



I can see them stained with tears as he weakly nods his head. “Shh… please don’t cry sweetie, it’s okay,” I coo as I gently pat his back. I give him a warm smile “If a lady may ask little one what is your favorite color?”



His shaking calms a little as he speaks “B-blue Ma’am,” his tone is so soft and broken.



“Thank you darling for telling me,” I reach my hoof to gently pat his lap. I trot over to my work station to get started on his set of pajamas. I put on my red brimmed work glasses and get to work by using my magic. As I work on the small child’s clothes I look over at him as he keeps his lowered looking at his hooves in his lap. “I wonder what ever happened to the poor dear,” I think to myself.



After a few minutes of carefully designing, I finish the little colt’s pajamas. It was a combination of soft warm blue wool pants with matching blue wool long sleeve top. I finish the ensemble off with blue thick wool socks. I trot over to him levitating the outfit with me and give him a warm smile “How do you like them darling? I used a dark royal blue, I hope that is okay.”



He looked up to see his pajamas and a light smile crept across his face. He looked up at me next and softly spoke “T-thank you M-Ma’am. I-I do like them,” he calmed his shaking a little more.



I smiled brightly with a light pink blush on my cheeks “Well, you are certainly welcome precious,” I fold up the clothes with my magic and place them on my back. “Okay now sweetie, let us go get you washed up so you can put these on” I give him a warm smile as I gently levitate him onto my back and I trot out of my room to the bath room.



As I enter my bathroom, I carefully levitate the small child onto the floor as I use my magic turn on the hot and cold water faucets of the tub. While the water is running I levitate his pajamas onto the sink and get a couple of towels and a soft bristled brush out of the cabinet. I check on the tub and stop the water when it is a good level for the little colt. I check it with my hoof to make sure it is the right temperature so he won’t get burned or get too cold.



I smile warmly down at him “Little one, would you like for me to help wash you or would you like to take your bath alone?” I gently placed a hoof on his shoulder.



He looks up at me “I-if it is okay Ma’am, c-could I take my bath alone?”



I give him a soft smile and nod “Of course darling,” I rub along his fore leg. “I will just be outside when you are done, okay?” He looks up at me and gives me a soft nod. I smile warmly down at him and turn to trot out of the bathroom and gently shutting it behind me.



After a few minutes there was a knock on the bathroom door “Are you all done little one?”



“Y-yes Ma’am,” his voice lost some of its shakiness, but still sounded so small and broken. I carefully opened the door with my magic to reveal him in his new pajamas and socks.



“Aw… you look absolutely adorable darling,” I give him a bright smile. “Do they feel warm and comfortable enough?” I reach out a hoof and rub along his forelegs.



He gives me a slight nod ‘Yes Ma’am, they are very soft and warm. Thank you,” he looks up at me and gives me a light smile.



“You are very welcome precious, but you don’t need to thank me,” I gently reach my hoof up to stroke very lightly at his mane. It looks a whole lot better now since it’s washed and I know he has to feel much more comfortable.



I look into the bathroom and see his old raggedy clothes on the floor but folded into a small pile next to the towel he used. I decide to get them later as I gently levitate him on my back “C’mon little one, let’s go find you something to eat,” I give him a warm smile as I feel him wrap his little forelegs around my neck. My heart melts at the gesture and I place a hoof on his smaller ones as I smile warmly. I turn to trot downstairs to the kitchen.



As we enter the kitchen I levitate him off my back and over to a chair at the kitchen table “Okay darling, you just sit there and I will bring you something good to eat, okay?” I rub gently at his back.



He gives me a light smile as he looks up at me “Yes Ma’am,” he replies politely.



I trot over to the refrigerator, open it, and levitate a fresh garden tomato out to place on the counter. I open a drawer and levitate out a knife as I carefully cut a nice round slice of the tomato. Next I levitate a loaf of bread over and get out to slices placing them on a napkin. I place the slice of tomato carefully on one slice of bread as I gently season it with a dash of salt to give it some flavor. Finally I place the second slice of bread on top and use the knife to cut the sandwich in half in the shape of a triangle.



I place the tomato in a small plastic container to save for another day, levitate the bread into the bread box, and levitate the knife into the sink to be washed. I carefully levitate the sandwich and napkin as I trot over to the table, and I place it in front of the little colt.



“Here you go darling, it is a tomato sandwich. I hope you like it,” I give him a light smile and I sit across from him on my haunches. “Oh gosh, I almost forgot. I will be right back sweetie,” I get up and trot over to the refrigerator and open it back up again. I levitate out a jug of apple juice, and then get a glass from one of the top cabinets. I pour some apple juice into the glass and levitate the jug back into the refrigerator closing it.



I trot back over to the table and levitate the glass next to the child’s sandwich “There you go little one. Some of the best apple juice in all of Equestria,” I let out a giggle and he looks up at me with a soft smile. I watch him as he takes small bites of his sandwich and drinks at his applejuice.



While he is eating I give him a gentle yet curious look “Precious, if it is okay for a lady to ask, could you maybe tell me your name?”



He chews a bite of his sandwich before replying “My name is Connor Ma’am,” he gives me a light smile before going back to eat at his sandwich.



“Well it is a pleasure to meet you Connor. My name is Rarity Belle, but you can just call me Rarity,” I give him a warm smile



He finishes eating his sandwich and drinking his juice after a few minutes. He uses the napkin to wipe at his mouth as I gently levitate it over to the garbage can. He looks up at me with a light smile “Thank you Ms. Rarity for the sandwich and apple juice,” he folds his hooves in front of him and lower his head.



I smile warmly down at him and delicately place my hoof under his chin to raise his head “You are certainly welcome Connor. I am glad you enjoyed it,” I stroke at his mane softly as I hear him let out a little yawn. “Well, it looks like a little colt is sleepy. C’mon Connor, follow me and I will show you where you will sleep for tonight, okay?” He gives me a light nod as I levitate him onto my back and trot into the den of my boutique.



I trot upstairs to my bedroom and levitate him onto my bed to sit for a little bit. I trot over to my dresser drawer and levitate out a few thick wool blankets. I use two to make a soft warm palette on the rug right in front of my bed and I levitate a pillow over to place at an end of the palette. I trot back over to Connor to see him curled up in a ball, and it melts my heart.



So not to wake the little darling, I very carefully levitate him over to lay him on the blankets and laying his head gently on the pillow. I lift the third blanket and lay it over his small form. I lean my head down to his and whisper “Sweet dreams Connor.” I see a light smile on his face as I lightly stroke his mane. I smile warmly down at him as I trot over to get into my own bed.



I shuffle under the covers until I am comfortable enough and place my sleeping mask on. As I peacefully drift off to sleep I think to myself “I think I will take Connor to see Twilight tomorrow so she can tell me what kind of creature he is,” a soft sigh escapes my lips as I fall to sleep.



Tomorrow is going to be a long day.