• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 19,762 Views, 919 Comments

Heart of Diamonds - APoeticHeart



Rarity discovers an abandoned human child during a nightly stroll through Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 919
 19,762

Chapter Six

As we make our way towards the library, I can feel the small child shaking on my back, and I gently place my hoof over his little hands, patting them. I turn to look at him with a warm smile “Connor darling, don’t be afraid. I promise you will like my friends. They are very nice, and they would be happy to meet you.” He gives me a light smile.


Sweetie Belle reaches up to rub at his back “Yeah little guy, you will like meeting my friends, Scootaloo and Applebloom. They would be happy to meet such a sweet little cutie like you.” She gives him a big smile, and I turn to see him blushing. I can’t help but blush myself at the sweet little colt’s shyness at the comment.


We approach the library, and I knock on the door with a hoof. I can feel Connor curl up on my back, and when I turn to look at him, I see him hiding under my mane. Sweetie Belle looks at me with a look of worry and I lightly shake my hoof at her to let her to not pay any mind as the door opens revealing my Spikey-Wikey. He steps aside to let us in, and Sweetie Belle trots in first to go join the other two fillies.


I smile softly at the little drake “Thank you Spike.” I pat the scales on top of his head, and trot inside. I giggle as I see him gush in my presence.


He looks around, then leans up to ask me “Rarity, where is the little guy at?” I give a light smile as I gently move my mane back some to reveal the little colt. “Oh. Hi there buddy,” he whispers to Connor waving a claw at him. I smile softly as I turn to see the girls chatting with one another, and make my way to the center of the library.


“Howdy there Rarity,” the loud country drawl of Applejack causes Connor to shake on my back as I trot up to the group.


“Hello Applejack darling,” I nod my head softly at her. I look over at Pinkie and Fluttershy “Hello to you dears as well.” I give a soft smile.


“Um… hello Rarity,” Fluttershy speaks with her usual timid tone.


Maybe the child would be better off with Fluttershy than you Rarity. All she has going for her is caring for animals, and I am sure she wouldn’t mind adding another pet to her collection.


What?! How dare you call this precious little darling a pet! What nerve!


The inner battle between my mind and my heart is tearing me apart for how to care for this child. I shake away the thoughts for now as I smile at the group, and take a seat down between Twilight and Rainbow Dash.


I look over to see Pinkie Pie with an ear-splitting grin on her face. “Hey Rarity, where is our special little guest for the sleepover? Twilight and Dashie told us all about him!” She beams excitedly as I let out a deep sigh.


I turn my attention to my mane, and lean into speak to the small child “Sweetheart, you can come out now. My other friends would like to meet you.” I watch as he peeks out from underneath my mane, and I give him a reassuring smile. I feel him carefully climb off my back onto the wooden floor, and he stands closely beside me as he looks up at all of us with a light smile, but he shakes nervously.


I give him a reassuring smile as I look over at the girls “Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, I would like for you to meet Connor.” I look back at the little colt who gives a little wave of his hand at the three.


Applejack is the first one to greet the child “Well, howdy there Connor. My name is Applejack, and it is a pleasure to meet ya little feller.” She tips her hat to the child, and gives him a warm smile. He gives her a light nod in return.


Pinkie Pie sits up on her haunches, bouncing up and down, and beams with excitement. “Hi there! I am Pinkie Pie, and I love to throw parties! I will throw you a ‘Welcome to Ponyville” party! You will love it. There will be games, cake, cookies, candy, balloons…” She is silenced by a hoof on the mouth by Applejack.


“Easy there Pinkie. We all know ya love parties and all that what not, but don’t be scaring the little critter with all your fast talking.” She looks over at Connor who lets out a little giggle of his own, and I am very surprised. “Sorry about that sugarcube. Pinkie can get a little bit over excited about meeting new ponies.”


Pinkie Pie blows a raspberry Applejack, sticking her tongue out. “Oh Applejack, you are just being a party pooper pony.” She shakes her head and looks back at Connor “Anyways little sweetie, it is good to meet you.”
I hear a squee come from Fluttershy as she is the last one to greet Connor. “Well hello there little one, my name is Fluttershy. I help care for all animals here in Ponyville both big and small, and anytime you want to come meet my animal friends, you are more than welcomed to.” She smiles brightly at him “Um… I am also happy to meet you too Connor.”


I smile at the three and turn to Connor “See there darling, I told you that they were very nice.” I rubbed along his back with a hoof.


I hear him swallow deeply as he looks at the three. “Hello Ms. Applejack, Ms. Pinkie, and Ms. Fluttershy. It is nice to meet you all too.” He gives a light smile, but lowers his head at the floor. The others look on concerned at him, but I just wave a gentle hoof at them.


After I introduce Connor, Sweetie Belle comes trotting up to us. She looks at me with a hopeful smile “Rarity, can I introduce the little cutie to Applebloom and Scootaloo?”


I give her a nod, and look at Connor “Darling, will it be okay if Sweetie introduces you to her friends?” I rub along his back, and he looks up into my eyes, then turns to look at Sweetie Belle and back at her friends.


He gives me a light nod “Yes Ma’am, it will be okay.” He gives me a light smile.


I see Sweetie gently take his little hand in her hoof “C’mon Connor, I promise you will like them.” She gently guides him over to the other two fillies.


I give them both a warm smile and turn back to the others. “So Rarity, is it true that ya found the little feller sleeping in an alley?” Applejack asks me with a curious, yet concerned look.


I sadly nod “Yes Applejack darling, it’s true.” I let out a heavy sigh, and feel a hoof on my shoulder belonging to Twilight to comfort me.


I hear the sniffle of Fluttershy as I turn to see tears threatening to escape her eyes. “Oh the poor dear, why would some pony do that to such a sweet and well-mannered little colt?”


“Ah don’t know, but what are ya going to do Rarity? Ah mean, Ah know that ya care for the little feller, but ya never raised a colt before, except for Sweetie Belle. At least ya both have your parents that helped ya raise her. How do ya plan on raising a child, and that child is not even a pony?”


I look at Applejack with a sad smile “I don’t know Applejack. I…” I feel myself on the verge of tears when Twilight gently rubs my shoulder.


She looks at Applejack “Don’t worry about it Rarity. That is why I am going to write a letter to Princess Celestia, and see what we can do about Connor.” We all nod in agreement as Twilight levitates a scroll and quill over to us.


“Spike, can you come here for a minute?” She calls out for the sweet little gentledrake.


“Yes Twi?” He salutes with a claw, and sees the quill and scroll. Knowing what is going to happen next, he grabs the quill and scroll. “Ready when you are Twilight.”


Dear Princess Celestia,

Last night my friend, and the Element of Generosity, Rarity discovered a small, abandoned, and very young colt. He was sleeping in one of the many alleys here in Ponyville, and for his only source of warmth was a copy of the Ponyville newspaper. Rarity felt for the poor child, so she took him to her home, got him cleaned up, and let him stay them.


Earlier this morning, she introduced the little colt to me and my friend, and Element of Loyalty, Rainbow Dash. His name is Connor, he is five years old, but what is more striking is that he is a part of species called humans. Rarity discovered a note that the little colt had written, and on it was ‘I wish I had a mommy and daddy’, making us believe that Connor is an orphan.


We decided to have a sleepover for Connor to meet the other Elements of Harmony. I am writing this letter in hopes that you and your sister, Princess Luna can inform us on what we should do about Connor. We will be awaiting your reply.


Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle


“Alright Spike, send it.” She gives Spike a smile, and he breathes his emerald flame over the scroll, making it vanish. “Now, we just wait until morning. It is getting late, so I think we all need some shuteye.” Me and other girls nod in agreement.


The three fillies come over to join us. Applebloom lies down to snuggle with Applejack, Scootaloo lies with Rainbow Dash, Spike and Twilight goes upstairs, and Sweetie Belle comes over to lay with me. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie lie next to each other, Pinkie flipping onto her back, and Fluttershy curling up. As I look around, I see Connor standing off in the distance at the window looking out.


I frown at the small child “Connor darling, you can come over here, and lie down. You can lie down on my other side, okay precious?” I give him a warm smile as he carefully walks over to us.


He gives me a light smile “Thank you Ms. Rarity.” He sits down on his knees as I levitate an extra pillow over for him to lay on. My heart melts as he scoots onto the pillow and curls up into a little ball, and closes his eyes softly letting out a little yawn.


I lean my head down and nuzzle at his cheek gently “Goodnight sweetheart. Sweet dreams Connor.” I see him smile softly in his sleep, and I turn to nuzzle at Sweetie Belle. “Goodnight baby sister. Sweet dreams.” I lay my head down on my fore hooves and drift off to sleep myself.


Oh, please let Princess Celestia know what to do.