• Published 24th Jul 2013
  • 13,310 Views, 293 Comments

Gods Among Us - Gravitiaxis



You are an ancient god who dates back to times of the beginning. However you have been lost to time due a major wound that you had gotten a long time ago, turned you into stone. A few thousand years have pasted and you're now reintroduced to the

  • ...
25
 293
 13,310

Chapter Sixteen: Ancient Secret Part Two

“AppleJack I have to say I disagree. Knowledge should never be kept away from the masses. I speak from experience, when I say that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” You said earning a disapproving nod from both AJ and Zeal, but earning good one from Applebloom.

“What if that knowledge will be used to harm ponykind?” Applejack stated.

“But what if knowledge can be beneficial to ponykind?” Applebloom suggested. “What if the knowledge that’s hidden away can be used for good.”

“Usually good things aren't hidden away. There would be no need.” Zeal said. “But if that's true and the knowledge is hidden away, there is still an equal amount of chance that we may uncover something bad.”

Applebloom slowly nodded her head. “I guess you’re right.”

AJ patted her younger sister on the back. “Come on sis. We need to get back to work. We’ll see you two later and make sure to keep an eye on Dodgy Trader, he’s not normal.” She said steering her younger sibling back to their stand. You gave them a short wave as you and your bodyguard walked towards your original destination.

Dodgy Trader had on his trademark smile as he waited for his next customer. He spotted you and your companion and gave you two a wide grin. “Letum! I knew you would be back, but judging by the look on your face, I can see that you’re not here to buy anything. So what can I do for you?”

“Twilight asked made to come and pay for that ancient tome she was supposed to but from you. I have the money for you right here.” You said reaching into your robe, pulling out a small pouch of bits.

“I wasn’t expecting her to buy it so soon.” Trader say rubbing his chin. “I’ve decided to change my method of payment, if that would be fine with you.”

You slowly placed the money away and looked at Zeal, who shrugged his shoulders. “I guess...So what do you want as payment?” You asked sounding curious.

Trader let out a crooked grin. “Don’t worry, I’m just looking to see if you’re the adventuring type.”

“And whys that? What job do you need doing?” Zeal said asked sounding suspicious of Traders offer.

Trader tapped his chin in thought. “Not much, well it might be...depending if you like to work… and money.”

“I don’t like work...and I don’t need money.” You said.

“You don’t! But I do!” Zeal said, his eyes almost making money signs. “How much bits are you paying?” He asked.

“If all goes well, a lot.” Trader smirked.

“I like the way that sounds.” Zeal said rubbing his hands together as he began to think about the possibility of making some money. You placed your hand on his shoulder in an attempt to snap him out of his money crazed state.

“Calm down, we don’t even know what he wants us to do yet. Don’t go blindly accepting jobs that promise money when you don’t even know what the dangers are.” You said earning glance from Trader.

“Thanks mom, I’ll make sure to remember that.” Zeal said rolling his eyes. “So whats this job that you want done? Is it dangerous?”

Trader nodded his head. “Yes it is. Usually I can travel by myself, but this job requires a lot of magic and wits, and as you can tell I’m lacking in one of these departments.” Trader said pointing to his forehead, where a unicorns horn is supposed to be. “I received word from a client that the artifact that they want me to recover is protected within an underground fortress deep within the Everfree forest, which is riddled with both traps and defenses that would prove deadly to even the most careful and cunning of ponies.”

“So this artifact, I suspect is also dangerous, right?” You asked.

“Of course. It’s held in the everfree forest. Everything in there is dangerous.” Zeal answered.

Trader nodded his head. “Yes it is. The Artifact is called the Eridian Staff. My client-” Trader winked. “-wants me to retrieve this artifact for them. I won’t be able to get close to the underground temple where the staff resides but I reckon you two might have a shot.”

You narrowed your eyes as Trader. “Who’s your client?” You asked.

“I’ll tell you after you retrieve the staff.” He replied with a blank smile.

“So what is the Eridian Staff? How will we know what it is?” Zeal asked.

“Oh, trust me. you’ll know it when you see it.” Trader claimed.

Both you and Zeal looked at each other. “So when do you want us to look for if?” zeal asked.

“You’re not actually considering looking for that staff are you?”

“Yeah, I am. Since you’re a god and everything, I don’t expect you to understand the concept of money, but yeah I need that money.” Zeal said.

“What makes you think I don’t know what money is? I was alive before the concept was even thought of.” You said growing aggravated. “Besides weren’t you the one who said ancient knowledge should be kept away?”

“Yeah I did say that, but this isn’t knowledge we’re talking about. It’s a potential weapon.”

“That’s even worse!”

“Look you can either come with me or you can stay here and whine about how awesome I am about to be when I return with that staff.”

“Look Zeal, I’m not going to tolerate your disrespect much longer.” You said with your patience growing thin. Trader watched closely as the two of you began to bicker back and forth. He waited till the right moment to jump back into the conversation. You imagined that he’s the type that doesn’t like to get sidetracked by petty things.

“Can we get on topic here? Yes? Thank you. I don’t need you two searching for it today, but I will ask for your assistance later though.” Trader said giving the two of you a stern nod. “Letum, it doesn’t really matter whether or not you accompany your friend. I have a map of all the traps and secret passageways within the temple. It will make a difference on whether or not your friend comes back alive though. So really it is your choice.”

Will you accompany Zeal to the abandoned underground temple or reject on the grounds that its dangerous?

Author's Note:

Sorry I haven't posted a chapter in a while , schools be on my mind lately. I'll be posting more often