• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 21,855 Views, 607 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - Bpkyle777



Name's Zack. After apparently having vanished 3000 years ago, I returned to Equestria, only this time I'm actually in the same time period as the Element Bearers. I just hope Tia isn't upset that I disappeared...

  • ...
40
 607
 21,855

Chapter 4: What's For Lunch?

“Uh, m-my name…?”

Celestia and Luna were looking at me, expectantly.

Uh oh. I need a name! I can’t use ‘Zack’. It doesn’t sound Equestrian at all! I may as well just say ‘Hi, my name is Zack, and I’m an interdimentional alien that knows about your future.’

I thought about how ponies in Equestria are named. Okay, so most names are based off appearances or special talent. I looked at myself. I don’t have a cutie mark, so that won’t help. Let’s see, something that’ll sound cool. Um…“Knight!” I said aloud. That’s cool, I guess. My coat’s blue. What in nature is a dark blue? The night sky, a gem, the ocean… wait, what’s that gem called... I looked around the room in panic. The alicorns were just staring at me worriedly. Oh! It’s a Sapphire! “Sapphire Knight! Yep, that’s my name.”

Celestia looked at me confused for a moment, before smiling again. “Well, uh, it’s nice to meet you, Sapphire Knight.”

Hold the phone. ‘Sapphire’ is a-

Luna suddenly burst out into laughter. “HAHA! Sapphire’s a mare’s name!” She was literally ROFLing at this point.

“Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up,” I said. “Imagine going through school with it.” That would’ve been horrible if it were true. “Please, just call me Knight.” The white alicorn gave her sister a stern glare and it immediately shut her up.

Celestia looked back at me, apologetically. “I’m so sorry about my sister, Knight. She still acts like a foal, sometimes,” she said as she glared back at Luna, who was staring at the floor, guiltily.

I laughed. “It’s quite alright, Celestia.” I smiled at Luna, “I mean, what’s the point in growing up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.” Luna brightened up a bit and giggled.

Celestia rolled her eyes and gave me a look that said ‘Don’t encourage her.’

After the nurse inspected me for any more injuries, she gave me some oh-so-lovely hospital food to eat. Of course, I had some problems even doing that. I wasn’t use to my new appendages, and I didn’t know how to use my horn. Celestia and Luna gave me some funny looks, but didn’t ask. After I finished, Celestia decided to ask me some questions.

“Where are you from, Knight? My sister and I know of everypony in Canterlot, but have yet to meet you.”

I had to think about it for a moment. In early Equestria, there aren’t many cities that I know of. Why not feign amnesia? “Truthfully, Celestia, I can’t seem to remember. All I really know of my past is my name. I’m sure you noticed my issues with eating. I can’t even remember how to use this thing,” I said, pointing at my horn.

Celestia gave me a sad look. “I’m so sorry to hear that. If your amnesia doesn’t go away, maybe I could help you relearn magic?” she suggested. “I’m quite skilled myself and could easily help you.”

I smiled at her. “Thank you so much, Celestia. If you are as skilled as you are beautiful, then it would be an honor to learn magic from you.” Eep! Why did I just say that?! I shouldn’t flirt with the Princess of the Sun!

Celestia blushed and quickly looked away, smiling. Luna, however, didn’t look all that amused. “Thou wouldst be careful, Knight, or thine ‘silver tongue’ will get thee into trouble,” she said with a hint of venom in her voice. “Understood?”

I retreated a bit, eyes bulging. “Y-yes, ma’am!” I squeaked. Well, that was unexpected. An overprotective little sister. And she was just giggling and laughing at me not ten minutes ago!

“Luna!” Celestia scolded. “No need to be mean. H-he was just giving a compliment.”

Luna huffed and crossed her forelegs, glaring at me.

Oops…


Consciousness stirred.

…And then it was taste tested. It needed more sugar and a dash of cinnamon. It was then blended together and- Oh, sorry. Haven’t eaten yet today, remember?

Anyways, a few voices became clearer as I woke up.

“Where is that nurse?! She should’ve been here already.” That sounded like a frantic Twilight.

“Don’t worry, Twilight. If he is who he says he is, he’ll be fine.” I could recognize Tia’s voice anywhere.

“Are you sure, Sister? I-I didn’t mean to make him do that. I was only trying to scare him.” Luna, definitely. She usually drops that ‘Old English’ thing when she’s nervous.

“And you had every right to if he really promised not to tell anypony,” Tia said. “Although, I do recall him warning you.” Haha. Somepony’s on my side.

“I still think we should get him to the hospital,” Twilight suggested.

Hospital?! No, no! I’ve had enough hospitals! I quickly opened my eyes and immediately jumped to my hooves, causing Twilight to recoil. “I’m okay! No hospitals necessary!” I practically yelled.

Tia smiled at me, while Twilight ran over to inspect me. “Are you sure you’re alright?” She asked. “A blow to the head like that would normally have anypony out cold for hours. You were barely down for five minutes!”

I laughed. “Don’t worry about me,” I told her. “I’m fine, minus a slight headache. I’m used to getting hit in the ol’ noggin. Just this past week I’ve had, what is it…?” I thought. “Seven, now? Yeah, seven head injuries. My best week so far, actually!”

Twilight just stared at me, unsure of how to reply to that.

“I always said your head seemed to have its own gravitational pull,” Tia said. Luna snickered.

“Hey!” I yelled. “I told you, my head’s not that big!”

Tia just laughed. “Yes it is.”

“Definitely larger than average,” Luna added.

“Just a bit,” Twilight said.

I sat on my haunches and crossed my forelegs. They all started laughing. Oh, well buck you guys, too.

Wait... I looked over to Tia. “So you believe me, then?”

She nodded. “I knew almost immediately after you walked in. This morning, I felt a familiar presence enter Equestria, and after your little display, I was fully convinced,” She said, trying to sound all-knowing.

I could see past it, though. “So, it had nothing to do with my knowledge of a certain incident on the western horizon?” Luna and Twi gave Tia a funny look.

“You mean the thing about the sun rising in the west?” Twilight asked.

“We didn’t know about this, Sister,” Luna said.

The white alicorn looked a little flustered before quickly regaining her composure. “I know not of what you speak, Zack.” She got close to my ear. “You didn’t tell anypony, did you?” She whispered.

I grinned at her. “Well, I was about to tell Twilight and Spike, when your reply interrupted me.”

Tia let out a sigh of relief. “Good. Please don’t tell anypony. Nopony in this day and age knows about it, and I’d prefer to keep it that way.”

“Aww, Tia,” I said loud enough for the others to hear. “At least let me tell Luna. You heard one of her secrets. It’s only fair she hears one of yours!”

“We concur, Sister,” Luna agreed, grinning. “We wish to hear of this little… incident.”

Before Tia could say anything else, a unicorn mare stormed through the doors. She had a white coat and light blue mane, with a nurses cap on her head. I’m guessing that’s the nurse Tia called for. She looked all around before bowing to the Princesses. “I came as quick as I could. Where is the injured stallion, your Majesty?”

“Ooo, Ooo! Me! Pick me!” I said, bouncing and waving my foreleg about like a little child wanting to get picked first for kickball.

Tia giggled at my antics and answered the nurse. “He is fine, Nurse. Just a small bump to his head.”

The nurse looked at me incredulously, and I put on my biggest smile. I bet I could give Pinkie Pie a run for her bits. “Are you sure, your Majesty?” She asked, clearly not convinced of my lack of brain damage. “I could check just to be sure.”

“Yes, I am sure,” Tia said. “You may go.” The nurse reluctantly bowed, staring at me, and then left the throne room.

“So tell me,” I said, “What year is it? A.D. I mean.”

“This year would be 3216 A.D.,” Luna said.

“Whoa. So I’ve been missing for 3206 years?” I frowned and hung my head. “I’m so sorry, you two. I didn’t mean for this to happen. Truthfully, I’m not even sure what happened.”

Tia stepped forward and put a wing around me. “It’s alright, Zack. We’ll find out exactly what happened. All of us.”

“Wait, could somepony please explain to me what’s going on?” Twilight asked, confused. “And why did the Princess call you ‘Zack’ a couple times just now? I thought you were Sapphire Knight? Or, uh, Blast Shield?”

“I’ll explain everything,” I told Twilight and looked back at the two princesses. “And even reveal some things that even you two were not aware of. This seems a good a time as any.” I laughed at my inside joke. “But only on two conditions.”

“And what are those?” Tia asked.

“One,” I looked at Twilight, “you get your friends up here. It’s inevitable they’ll find out, so I’d rather get all the explaining and questions done at once.”

Twilight thought about it. “Well, if it’s as big a deal as you make it out to be, I don’t see why not. Princess, could you-”

“I’m already on it, my faithful student,” Tia said. I looked at her and saw that she was already writing a letter to send to Spike. After she sent it, Tia looked back to me. “And what is number two?”

“Two,” I said. My stomach suddenly rumbled very loudly and my cheeks flushed a bit, but I rolled with it. “Could I please get some food?! I technically haven’t eaten in over 3000 years! I was about to bake ‘Consciousness’ into a pumpkin pie!” That earned me some odd looks.

-----------------

FOOD!

The dining table was loaded. It was long enough to seat forty ponies all at once, with enough food to feed a king! Or in our case, two Princesses, a world-famous scholar of magic, and a court jester. I’ve always wanted to be a court jester…

Anywho, we all sat at one end of the table, Tia at the end, Luna and Twilight to her left, and me on her right. Sweet! Right-hand man! Er, pony.

Once everypony was settled and the servants left, I dug in, any semblance of manners thrown out the window. I was really hungry.

After a few minutes of silence, I looked up. Tia’s brow was raised, Twilight looked disgusted, and Luna was trying her absolute hardest not to bust out into laughter, poor mare.

“If the head injury wasn’t proof enough,” Luna said, “thine dining habits certainly are.”

“It’s nice to see you, again, too, Luna,” I laughed after swallowing my food. “So!” I yelled. “What have I missed in the last 3000 years or so?”

Luna looked at Tia worriedly. I guess she’s afraid of what I’ll say about her ‘episode’ 1002 years ago.

“Well, you know,” I started, “besides a couple visits from the Lord of Chaos, new Element bearers, a freak changeling incident-” I looked at Twilight. “Congrats to your brother, by the way.” I turned back to the Princesses. “-and… an extended ‘time out’ for Luna’s misbehavior.” I looked directly at Luna.

Twilight and Celestia were genuinely surprised, but Luna looked away from my eyes in shame.

“Luna, I’m not upset with you,” I said gently, food all but forgotten. “I am, however, disappointed. Did you not remember what I told you? I said that no matter what happens, whether or not I’m around, you are always appreciated. Tia’s day may bring life to Equestria, but your night brings untold beauty and inspiration, and sustains that life by giving everypony a chance to rest.”

Luna looked back up at me, tears in her eyes. “I know, and I’m sorry. Even though I let that demon, Nightmare, whisper in my ear too long, I can only blame myself for my poor conduct.”

I rose and walked around the table. “All is forgiven, Lulu,” I said. “I’m proud that with the help of the Element bearers,” I motioned to Twilight, who was tearing up as well, “you were able to rid yourself of that Nightmare.”

I gave Luna a hug and she earnestly hugged back, nearly breaking down. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine, Lulu.” I pulled back to look her in the eye. “Just never forget what I told you, again, promise?”

Luna sniffed and smiled at me. “I promise.”

“Good.” I briskly trotted back to my seat to keep eating. What? I’m starving!

“Um,” Tia said. “How exactly did you know all that has happened?”

“You do realize everything I just mentioned is immortalized in your throne room, correct?” I deadpanned.

Tia and Twilight gave a silent ‘Oh’, while Luna looked puzzled. “All except for the changeling invasion. We have yet to install the new window for it.”

I beamed at Luna. “Ah! The stickler for details as always, Luna! I’m proud you caught it.” She blushed a bit as I addressed everypony, “She is correct. That’s actually one of the things I wanted to talk about when everypony got here. There are things about me that not even you know, Tia.”

We continued eating. Twilight looked to be deep in thought. Probably trying to solve the conundrum that is me.

“Oh, I just remembered!” I said. Everypony looked at me. “Were any of you responsible for my teleporting in the throne room?”

“It wasn’t me,” Twilight said.

“I was too busy charging at you,” Luna said with a smirk.

“Honestly, I thought you had teleported yourself,” Tia said, “but then I realized you were no longer a unicorn.”

“Hmmm,” I hmmm-ed. “What made you think I was responsible?” I asked Tia.

She shrugged. “Well, you lowered your head in concentration like you were performing a spell, and then you blinked across the room.”

“I may have a theory on what happened, but I need to do some testing with Twilight’s help. After I explain everything to everypony, of course.” I glanced at Twilight and suddenly remembered something. “Hey, Tia,” I looked at the white alicorn. “Do you still have all my old notes?”

Tia smiled at me. “Of course, they were too precious to lose. I have them up in my study.”

Twilight was confused. “Notes? What notes? I’ve read everything in Princess Celestia’s study and haven’t found anything even remotely mentioning Sapphire Knight.”

Sweet, it still works then. “Tell me, Twilight, did you ever come across an empty book? No words, no title?”

“Thinking about it, yes I have,” she said. “I asked the Princess about it, but all she told me was that it was incomplete.”

I smiled at Tia and looked back at Twilight. “Haha. While that is technically true, there are indeed words written within.” At Twilight’s puzzlement, I continued. “It is enchanted with a security spell I discovered. Basically, it appears blank to everypony except for those I have given permission to read it, Tia and Lulu being the only ones alive today who still can.”

Saying Twilight was impressed would be an understatement. “That… that’s astounding! I’ve never heard of such a spell!” She looked down for a moment, thinking. “Would you mind teaching me that spell?”

“Whatever for?” Tia asked. “Do you have some research you wish to keep hidden from prying eyes?”

Twilight looked embarrassed about something. “Uh, y-yeah. Research.” I could tell none of us believed her, but Tia didn’t press.

I, on the other hand… “Are you sure about that, Twi? I don’t want you keeping secrets.”

Her cheeks blushed. “Y-yes, I-I’m sure.”

I smirked. “Hey, Luna.” I looked over at her. “Do you still remember that special spell I taught you?”

Luna grinned devilishly at me. “Why, yes I do, Zack. Would you like me to cast it?” Her horn began to glow.

Tia glared at us. “Luna. Zack,” she warned.

Twilight was terrified. “W-what spell?”

“I’ll ask again, Twilight,” I said. “Is that what you really want my spell for?”

She was getting really anxious now. She glanced between myself and Luna, who’s horn was still glowing. Twilight looked to her mentor in hopes she would help her. Tia just sighed and facehoofed.

“…N-no, it’s not, alright! It’s for my diary!” she yelled. “I was just getting tired of ponies like Rainbow Dash and Spike looking through it, and I wanted something to keep them out.”

I smiled gently at her while Luna’s horn stopped glowing. “See? That wasn’t so hard, was it? That’s all I wanted to hear.”

“I swear, you two act like children sometimes,” Tia said, her hoof sliding off her face.

I laughed. “Hey, it’s like I always said. What’s the point in growing up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.” Tia and Luna immediately looked at me, a mixture of shock and sadness in their eyes. “What? Is there some food on my muzzle? I swear I was saving it for later.” I tried to lick my nose. Good thing pony tongues are longer.

Tia smiled warmly at me and reached for a hug. “I’m so glad you’re back, Zack.”

I grinned back at her. “I’m glad to be here, too.” My smile fell. “Although for me, I only saw you two just yesterday, I can’t imagine the pain you two had to go through, not knowing what happened to me.”

When Tia pulled away I looked back at Twilight. “There was a reason for what I just did, though. I’m not just some meany who wants to mess with you.”

Most of the time,” Luna mumbled.

Ignoring her, I continued. “I want everything said in this group to be the absolute truth. No fibbing, no white lies, and no secrets. All of mine will be revealed when your friends arrive. I expect the same from all of you.” I looked around the group.

Tia and Luna both nodded at me. Twilight, thought about it, but eventually nodded as well.

“If that’s the case,” Twilight said, “then tell me, what was that spell Luna was about to use?”

“Ah ha, now you’re getting it,” I beamed. “We were bluffing. I don’t know if you’re aware, but crime use to be much more common in Canterlot, and that was one of the scare tactics we would use to get information out of uncooperative criminals. What spell did you charge up, Luna?”

“It was but a simple flash spell,” Luna informed Twilight. “We art thine friend, Twilight Sparkle. We would never do anything to you.”

Twilight relaxed a bit. “Oh. Well now I see what Celestia meant by you two acting childish,” she snickered.

“The point is,” I said sternly, “even though you’ve only just met me, I want you to trust me, as much as I want to trust in what you use one of my spells for. Savvy?”

She blushed and shied away. “I see what you mean. Well, if the Princesses trust you, then I do too,” she said, nodding her head.

“Great! Now let’s finish eating. I still want desert!” Everypony looked at me in disbelief. “What? I said I was hungry.”

Author's Note:

Edit May 24th 2017: IMPORTANT! I am currently rewriting the entire story and with that, many details and aspects are set to change. As such, it will essentially be an entirely new story, meaning this version of Past, Present, and Future is technically Cancelled. There will be no more chapter updates until I finish the rewrite, meaning that this version will not have a proper ending. If it's requested enough, I may do some kind of Cliffnotes version of how the rest of the story was meant to play out, but for right now just know that if you start reading this version, you will not get an ending. I will post an announcement chapter on this story and Blog on my profile when the writing nears completion and I'm about to start uploading chapters. Thank you for all of your interest in my first public work of fiction. It really means a lot to me.