• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 21,854 Views, 607 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - Bpkyle777



Name's Zack. After apparently having vanished 3000 years ago, I returned to Equestria, only this time I'm actually in the same time period as the Element Bearers. I just hope Tia isn't upset that I disappeared...

  • ...
40
 607
 21,854

Chapter 11: Up and About (Part II)

While we were at Fluttershy’s place, we let her know that Smith was just fine, but couldn’t remember much more than me. I also told her that I filled Smith in on everything I told the girls about me. Of course, Smith had to bring up the ‘pervert’ thing. Now Fluttershy looks uncomfortable around me, no matter what Sunny or I try to tell her. Thanks a lot, jerk.

Before we left for the Boutique, I told Fluttershy about the party tonight and where it was. She said she’d see us there and we took off, albeit a little reluctantly on Smith’s part.

“I don’t see why we had to leave so soon,” Smith complained.

“Well, the party is in two hours, and we still need to visit Rarity,” Twilight explained. Smith just huffed.

I shook my head. “You’re just mad you had to leave Angel Bunny,” I said.

“Yeah, the only thing you did the whole time we were there was play with him,” Sunny pointed out. She started laughing at Smith’s flustered glare and I joined her. I’m glad she’s loosening up.

I could hear a faint whistling in the air. I looked over at Twilight, who was chatting away about her friends with Smith. I don’t think anypony else can hear that. I think I know what that is, though. I suddenly got a devilish idea.

I trotted about four paces from the group and listened to the distance of the whistling. “Hey, Smith, could you come over here for a minute?” I asked after a few moments. He turned from Twilight and looked at me inquisitively. “I need to tell you something,” I said. Come on…

He started trotting towards me when the whistling suddenly picked up in volume. Before anypony could react, a rainbow blur swooped down from behind and knocked Smith about four meters forward.

After the dirt cloud cleared, I couldn’t hold in my laughter anymore. Lying face up on the ground was Smith, with Rainbow Dash on top of him in a very… awkward manner. She was the first to recover and upon noticing Smith, jolted up into the air, a deep blush on her cheeks. Smith was still on the ground, eyes spinning in their sockets.

“Ahahaha! I can’t believe that actually worked!” I was pounding the ground in laughter. Rainbow shot me a dirty look.

Sunny was holding in a giggle, while Twilight looked angrily at Dash. “I thought I told you to watch where you were flying!” She berated the Pegasus. “He only just got out of the hospital! You trying to send him back?”

Dash looked away sheepishly, and flew over to Smith, who was only just recovering. “My bad, dude,” Dash ‘apologized’ as she helped him up. “I sort of lost control of… my dive,” she trailed off as he stood up.

Smith shook his head to clear it and looked back at Rainbow Dash. “No problem,” he said. “I do it all the time, although I typically steer clear of other ponies.”

Dash blushed and looked away, rubbing the back of her neck. “Hehe, yeah. Sorry.”

Twilight walked over to Smith to inspect him for any injuries. Once he was cleared, she turned back to Dash. “Well, he’s fine, but you need to be more careful,” she said. “This is Silver Smith, by the way. Smith, this is Rainbow Dash.”

“Heh, I sort of figured from the tell-tale mane colors,” Smith said. He held out a hoof. “Nice to meet you, Rainbow Dash.”

She shook his hoof. “Uh, you too, Smith.” She looked around. “I think I should go. I’ve got, uh, things to do.”

“Are you gonna be at the party tonight?” Smith asked.

“Oh, yeah! I wouldn’t miss a Pinkie Party for the world!” she said. “I’ll see you there.”

“Alright, see ya.”

Dash fluttered over to me, a little flushed. “You said he was a Royal Guard,” she whispered, quite loudly, mind you, “You didn’t say he was hot.”

“Sorry Dash,” I laughed. “He’s taken.” She looked back at him, a little upset, and then flew off.

Smith walked up next to me and furrowed his brow. “You didn’t tell them I was hot? What kind of friend are you?”

I rolled my eyes. “Why does it matter?”

He scoffed. “I need to sound good to the mares, duh!”

I whacked him in the back of the head. “You have a marefriend, ya know,” I pointed out.

Smith rubbed his head. “I know, but appearances and first impressions, you know?” He started laughing. I started walking toward the Boutique again, Sunny and Twilight by my sides, leaving him behind. “Aw, come on!” Smith called. “I’m just picking!” We kept walking away. “You’re not gonna tell Luna, are you?” He sounded a little panicked at the end there.

I smirked and saw Sunny grinning at the idea. Oh, this’ll be fun.


*CLINK*

Smith and I sipped from our mugs of cider. “I can’t believe it!” Smith exclaimed as he lowered his mug. “Our second big bust in two weeks! We are on fire!”

I scoffed and smirked at him. “What do you mean ‘Our’? I’ve done all the hard work, both with Biggs and the Invisible Bandit last week.”

“Yeah, but where would you be without your backup?” He asked.

“Safe in my study,” I pointed at him. “You’re the one who’s got me helping the Royal Guard.”

“Cause you’re awesome at it!” He exclaimed. “I still think you should join the guard.”

“Nah, then I would have even less time to study magic,” I said. I’m not normally one for ‘study’. I mean, just look at my grades back in high school, but this stuff is really fascinating. There seem to be infinite possibilities with it!

“Augh, you and your books.” Smith took a huge swig. “I swear, you’re such an egghead, sometimes.” I laughed into my cup, spilling cider everywhere, and started choking. “You alright, buddy?” he asked.

“Hehe, yeah,” I said, wiping up the cider. I always spill something. At least it doesn’t come down on my head. “You just said something that reminded me of somepony.”

“Oh, somepony from your past?” He asked. “Are you getting some memory back?”

Oops. How do I get out of this one? “Uh, N-no. I met her here in Canterlot a few weeks ago,” I lied. “She had a multicolored mane and a huge ego.”

“What, you think I have a big ego?” he asked.

“Huh? No.” Yes. “What makes you say that?”

“Well, you said I reminded you of her, and seeing as how I’m sort of grayscale, it must’ve been the ego part,” he clarified.

“Oh, no. It wasn’t that,” I laughed. “She just used to call somepony an egghead if they so much as picked up a book.”

“Huh.” Smith took another drink.

“I should probably take off soon,” I said.

“Why?” He smirked at me. “Got a date or something?”

“No!” I said just a little too quickly. “Tia just wanted to see me about something in…” I looked at the clock on the wall. “TEN MINUTES?! Sorry, buddy. Gotta run!” I threw down some bits for the drinks and was about to sprint out the door when Smith spoke up.

“Don’t forget you can teleport!”

“Oh right, thanks!”

Smith just rolled his eyes and went back to drinking as I blinked out of the pub.

------------------------

I quickly opened the doors to Tia’s study, ignoring the guards’ complaints. “I’m sorry I’m late, Tia,” I said as I closed the door behind me, “I was hanging out with Smith after we finally busted… Biggs.” I trailed off when I saw Tia. She still had her pink mane but she was wearing the same thick gold necklace and gold shoes from the show. She lacked the Tiara, though. “What’s going on?” I asked.

She beamed in delight. “You managed to capture Chief Biggs? That’s wonderful!” Tia ran up and hugged me, lifting me into the air. I blushed at the close contact, but tried to hide my wince in pain. I’m still a little sore from the hospital visit. “I have some good news, as well!” she said when she sat me back down. “The council has decided to give me and Luna a chance to prove ourselves as rulers.”

My smile grew. “They did? Awesome!”

“Yeah, I know!” She suddenly realized that she was going a little overboard and calmed herself down. “Ahem, I mean, it is delightful to get a great opportunity like this,” she said, trying to sound regal.

“Eh, your Princess voice could use a little work,” I said.

She just giggled as we walked to her balcony. “It’s only temporary, though. Just to see what we’ll do and how the populace will react.” We both sat down, watching the sun make its final decent for the day. “I still can’t believe it, though,” she said, looking at the horizon. “You’ve been here for only three months and you’ve already greatly affected so many lives.”

“I haven’t done that much,” I said.

She smirked at me. “Really?” I nodded. “Well, let’s see.” She brought a hoof to her chin. “You’ve helped Luna overcome her magic block, saved our lives once, saved Smith’s career, stopped both the Invisible Bandit and Chief Biggs, improved our City’s wealth tenfold, gave me and Luna a chance at being Princesses over our little ponies, and made more magical discoveries than all of the council’s magicians combined, not counting Starswirl.” She leaned over and nuzzled my neck, causing my cheeks to burn again. “I say you’ve done quite a lot.”

“Hehe, well when you list it all out like that, I guess so, but…”

Tia shoved me a bit. “You’re too modest. I’m sure you’ll go down in history books.” That’s what I’m afraid of.

I looked at Tia for a moment or two. I… I think I should tell her… about me. She and Luna both deserve to know. I looked down at the floor before returning my gaze to the horizon.

We sat there, staring at the sunset for a while. The orange glows faded over the city below as shadows grew and the moon peaked over the eastern horizon. I looked at Luna’s room a couple towers away and saw her standing on her balcony, raising the moon with practiced ease.

“She’s made a lot of progress, hasn’t she?” I asked Tia.

She looked over to Luna and smiled. “Yes. She’s happy that she finally has her cutie mark and knows her purpose.” Tia nudged me. “You helped with that bit too, you know.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, I guess. Hey, I’m hungry. Want to go fetch Luna so we can eat?”

“Sure.” We stood back up when the sun was no longer visible and made our way to Luna’s room. I'll do it. Soon...


Twilight and I had been sitting in the main room of the Boutique for about 40 minutes now. Almost immediately after we arrived, Rarity started measuring Sunny and took her to the back to try on some stuff, and once Smith saw how Frou-Frou this place looked, and stared at Rarity’s flank for a moment, he opted to go get something from Sugarcube Corner.

I decided to use this time to study my magic with my new-found assistant, and we managed to discover a few things. We started with charging up my magic. Twilight pointed out that when I focused my magic on my hoof this morning, only my hoof glowed cyan. That led us to discover that I could focus my magic through any part of me, including my hair. I’ll stick with charging my hoof for spells. Seems a little less weird than a glowing tail.

Then we moved on to levitation, the fundamental spell learned by every unicorn. I practiced on a ball nearby, probably Sweetie’s, and noticed it wasn’t as precise as before. Now when I move things, it swings a bit, like holding one end of a nun chuck. You can point the base in your grip anywhere, but the second handle swivels around before settling where you want it. I nearly knocked over a ponyquin a couple of times.

“Alright, so we’ve discovered the possibility of channeling your magic to different areas of your body, and that spellcasting seems a little imprecise or unstable,” Twilight summed up as she wrote everything down.

“Hmm. I guess that means I should avoid teleporting unless I want to end up in a wall,” I laughed.

“Yeah, it’s a miracle you didn’t back in the throne room in Canterlot,” she mused.

I crossed my forelegs in thought. “I should also put all of my research on hold until I can find a way to stabilize my spellcasting ability.” I turned to Twilight. “Are you alright with that?”

She seemed a little upset and rubbed the back of her head. “I guess. I mean, your research has technically been on hold for 3000 years, so what’s a little while longer gonna do, right?” She smiled.

I chuckled. “Well, I can still teach you a few tricks I have written in my notes next time you visit Canterlot.”

Twilight brightened up, but before she could reply, Rarity opened the door to the back room.

“Presenting Sunny Skies, the most fabulous mare in all of Canterlot!” she announced.

Sunny walked through the doorway and my jaw nearly detached itself from my skull. She was in a beautiful light pink dress with a light sparkle to it. It was just short enough to show off her rear fetlocks and had gold trimming all the way around it. Her tail, beautifully groomed by the way, was sticking out the rear of the dress, with the split in the dress coming back together to avoid revealing anything. It had a single strap that went over her left shoulder held by a gold broach in the shape of her cutie mark. The front of the dress remained open, minus the strap, letting everypony see her forelegs. She wore gold shoes similar to her Royal ones, just a bit shorter. How the HAY did Rarity even make all this that fast?

Sunny held her wings out to let us see the whole thing, but it only increased her radiance in the room. Twilight and I just sat there, dumbfounded. Rarity beamed at our reactions and Sunny blushed a bit. I then noticed that she was wearing some light makeup, just a bit of eyeliner and mascara.

“Oh, you like it?” Rarity asked, still grinning in excitement. “You don’t think it’s too much, do you?”

I still couldn’t hardly breath, much less talk, but Twilight managed to speak up. “N-no. It’s great, Rarity! Quite possibly the best you’ve ever done! How’d you do all of it that fast?”

Rarity blushed at the compliment. “Oh, please darling. It’s the model that makes this simple piece spectacular.” She gestured to Sunny, who was turning even redder. “I was so excited when I returned home last night, that I just had to get started on some designs. I didn’t have Sunny’s exact measurements so I had to do a little tweaking, but I think it came out fantastic! But, it really all depends on what the coltfriend thinks.” Rarity looked at me with a brow raised and a smirk on her face.

That brought me out of my stupor just to send me into another. “H-huh? I-I… I’m not, we’re not…” I was frantically trying to find the right thing to say, looking every which way, my cheeks on fire. “I-I mean, I don’t… I don’t th-think we are…” I rubbed the back of my head and looked away from the others. This is one of those times I wish my great verbal skills would kick in and bail me out.

Sunny walked over to me and nuzzled my cheek. “Would you like to be?” she asked gently.

My heart stopped. The bomb has been dropped. The dogs were released. The missile has been fired. The bucking question has been bucking asked!

I slowly turned to Sunny and looked at her. No, into her. Into Celestia. Even though she was blushing, she still held that calm smile that I always loved, and I could see that she genuinely meant it.

After a few moments, I returned the nuzzle. “Yes, Tia. I would love to.” She picked me up with her magic and brought me in for a hug. A couple ‘awws’ resounded in the room.

“HA! Bright Flare can kiss my flank!”

Everypony turned to see Smith standing at the front door with a box of donuts on his back, half eaten. Twilight and Rarity both shot him a dirty look. “What?”

“Really, Silver?” I said. “You just had to ruin the moment with some dumb bet. You realize Flare’s been gone for 3000 years, so you can’t get any bits from him, yeah?” Sunny gave me a confused look. “You don’t want to know,” I told her.

Author's Note:

Edit May 24th 2017: IMPORTANT! I am currently rewriting the entire story and with that, many details and aspects are set to change. As such, it will essentially be an entirely new story, meaning this version of Past, Present, and Future is technically Cancelled. There will be no more chapter updates until I finish the rewrite, meaning that this version will not have a proper ending. If it's requested enough, I may do some kind of Cliffnotes version of how the rest of the story was meant to play out, but for right now just know that if you start reading this version, you will not get an ending. I will post an announcement chapter on this story and Blog on my profile when the writing nears completion and I'm about to start uploading chapters. Thank you for all of your interest in my first public work of fiction. It really means a lot to me.