• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 21,854 Views, 607 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - Bpkyle777



Name's Zack. After apparently having vanished 3000 years ago, I returned to Equestria, only this time I'm actually in the same time period as the Element Bearers. I just hope Tia isn't upset that I disappeared...

  • ...
40
 607
 21,854

Chapter 7: Past, Present, and Future

I gave a nervous laugh. “Hehe. Uh, about that…” I looked around and saw everypony giving me questioning looks. Tia was just smirking at me. She must’ve figured it out from my comment about Twilight surpassing Starswirl one day. “I may still be a little early in the timeline,” Twilight’s eyes widened a little, “And I may know one or two small things about…” I paused to think about how to word it. “…every major event within the next year,” I rapidly blurted.

Everypony just stared at me in silence. “Approximately!” I corrected. “The show was never too clear on dates.”

Silence…

And then with the force of a tsunami, everypony began screaming questions. I was only able to make out a few, though.

“Are there going to be any new discoveries?”
“Really? That’s so awesome! Will I finally become a Wonderbolt?”
“Will I bake a cake tomorrow?”

I backed up a few steps, frightened. The only ponies not taking part of the onslaught was Fluttershy, for obvious reasons, and Tia.

“Girls,” Tia tried to get everypony’s attention.

“Do my designs make me rich and famous?”
“Do We finally beat Our sister at chess?” Seriously, Luna? Chess?

“Girls!” Tia yelled. Nopony could hear her. “GIRLS!”

Ow. I hate the Royal Canterlot Voice. Everypony in the room went quiet, ears pressed to their heads. I slicked my mane back down to its previous position.

“Please, settle down,” Tia said in a calm voice.

Once everypony had settled back into their seats and fixed their manes, Twilight spoke up. “This is incredible, though. Imagine the kind of catastrophes we could avoid if Blast were to warn us. We could even-”

“Ah, ah!” I cut her off. “Stop right there. I have no intention of revealing your future.”

“But-” Twilight tried.

“Ah! No. Knowing your future could be disastrous,” I pointed out. “You of all ponies should know that, Twi.” Although, Solid Snake Twilight was pretty cool.

Twilight sighed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. I should have known better.”

“How could knowing about a problem ahead of time be bad thing?” Dash asked.

“Because,” I said, “Whatever measures you take to avoid said problem, could very well lead to that problem. Time is too unstable to mess with. That’s the main reason why I didn’t tell the princesses about this 3000 years ago.”

I looked over to Luna, who seemed to have just put it together. “So, you knew I would become Nightmare Moon? And you didn’t tell us?” She was getting upset again.

“Listen,” I explained, rubbing her back, “it’s like I said. Knowing your future could’ve become the cause for it to happen. I tried to help by giving you some friendly advice, but as you can see, some events are set in stone.” I looked back at the group. “A perfect example of this being true is the Changeling Invasion.”

“How is that a good example?” Rarity asked.

“Shining Armor and the Princesses were warned of a potential threat to Canterlot ahead of time, yes?”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. “That’s why my brother put up the barrier around Canterlot.”

“Exactly. That was the problem.”

“Huh?”

“He was so focused on a potential threat coming in the future, that he neglected to think that the threat had already manifested itself on the inside beforehoof.”

“Cadence…” Twilight whispered.

“Yes. If this knowledge of a future threat didn’t exist, and everypony wasn’t busy worrying about what would come from outside Canterlot, Shining or somepony else probably would have noticed something weird about ‘Cadence’ like you did, Twilight,” I explained. “None of your friends knew her before then, and the only pony that knew her personally that didn’t have their attention focused on an invisible threat was you. That’s how you were able to see through it.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Twilight said.

After a few moments of silence, Applejack spoke up. “So let me see if Ah’ve got this right. You were a… Hue-man that was magically dropped in Equestria 3000 years ago as a fancy Unicorn, disappeared, and then reappeared here as a Pegasus, and you know a heap about our past, present, and future?” Pinkie snickered for some reason.

I rolled my eyes. “If you want it to sound boring, then yes,” I said.

“Well, is there anythin’ ya can tell us?” AJ asked. “Ya know, that won’t mess up the future?”

I thought about it for a moment. I guess I could be as vague as possible. It’s a good chance to mess with them a bit. “Sure, I guess I can tell you girls a few things.”

Everypony brightened up. They must really want to know their future. Well, everypony but Fluttershy. She looked distracted.

Before I could ask Fluttershy what was wrong, Tia leaned over to me. “Are you sure, Zack? You don’t want to mess anything up.”

“Don’t worry Tia. I know what I’m doing. I did pretty much the same thing with you two all those years ago and you barely suspected a thing,” I grinned.

“Alright, where to start…” I looked around the girls until I stopped at Twilight. “Ah, Twilight! I see…” she was holding her breath, “…a couple of tests somewhere in your future.”

Twilight released her breath and sagged. “But I always get tests. Can’t you be more specific? On what?”

I smiled at her. “Sorry. Can’t tell. Spoilers.”

“W-well, what about ‘When’?”

“Definitely can’t tell that. Like I said, the show was never too clear on dates. But I can tell you they will be very important.” I scanned back over the girls. “Rarity. For you I see… Crystals. A ton of beautiful crystals, with a beautiful white mare standing in the midst of them.” Rarity’s grin grew.

“Ooh, I can’t wait. I bet it will be fabulous!” Rarity was gushing with excitement.

I looked over toward Rainbow and took a deep breath. Dash got really excited… and then I turned to AJ. “Applejack.” Dash deflated. “In your future, there will be Apples visiting from all over.”

AJ just looked at me. “Uh, we hold a family reunion every year, ya know?”

I grinned. “Yeah, but this one will be different. I can guarantee it!”

I looked back at Dash, and she looked annoyed. “Rainbow Dash!” She started getting excited again. “For you, I see…” I closed my eyes and brought my hooves to my temples.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“I see…”

“Yeah?!” she asked again.

“There is…”

“What?! What is it?!” She was yelling at this point, with a ridiculous grin on her face.

“…nothing,” I stated. Did I ever say how much fun it is to mess with Dash?

She froze in place, like her brain suddenly quit on her. “…”

“…”

“…nothing?” she mumbled, still grinning.

I gave her my best smile. “Nope. Nothing.” I turned to Pinkie. Dash looked like she was about to explode, when I suddenly turned back to her. “Wait! There is something!” She stopped in surprise. “I can see another face to face meeting with Spitfire. And somepony does something to earn her respect.”

Dash grew happy again, hoofpumping the air, repeating ‘yes’ over and over again. I just laughed, turned back to Pinkie, and my face fell into a horrified expression.

“Pinkie Pie!” I yelled, alarmed. I quickly ran over to her and put one foreleg around her back. “Oh my gosh, Pinkie. I see pink!” I swept my other hoof across our view. “Pink everywhere, yelling the word ‘Fun’!” She grew excited, while the other girls looked terrified.

“Oo! What about me?” Spike asked.

“Hmm.” I had to think about it. Not much happens to him that I can be too vague about. Let’s see, the crystal heart? Nah, too important. Petsitting? Maybe. Oh wait! I walked next to Spike and whispered something in his ear.

“Awesome!” he yelled. He jumped off Twilight’s back and ran out the door.

“What’d you tell him?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, just about a certain jewel cake recipe Tia keeps hidden in the Archives,” I said.

Tia bit her lip. “You didn’t tell him exactly where it was, did you?”

“Nah. It’ll take him weeks to find it. Alright, Flutters, your tur-” I looked at Fluttershy, who still seemed upset about something. “Uh, Fluttershy? Are you alright?”

“Huh?” she said, distracted. “Oh! Sorry. I was just, thinking about something else.”

Dash sat next to the yellow Pegasus. “What were you thinking about so hard that made you not pay attention to our futures?”

“I-I was just thinking about what Blast and the Princesses said happened at the Everfree all those years ago.”

“What about it?” Twilight asked.

“I was just thinking th-that…” she trailed off. We all looked at her expectantly. “Um, n-nevermind.”

“No, go ahead Shy. It’s fine,” I said. “What’d you think?”

“W-well, it’s just that… if Blast doesn’t remember what happened, and that Lieutenant guy said both him and Smith disappeared, who’s to say Smith didn’t just end up here with Blast?”

Everypony went silent. The Princesses and I looked at each other.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Fluttershy said. “I knew I shouldn’t hav-”

“N-no!” I cut her off, waving my forelegs at her. “You’re right! He could be here!” I looked back at the Princesses, a little panicked and excited at the same time. “I need to get back to Ponyville. I was found, crash-landed, just outside the Everfree. If the same happened to him, he could have landed inside the forest and could be out there, lost right now. I need to find him.”

“No!” Tia said. “Not this time. I am not losing you to that accursed place again. I will go with you.”

Before I could respond, Luna spoke up. “We wish to go as well!”

Tia turned to her younger sister. “I’m sorry Luna, but you must stay here. One of us needs to be here in case something happens, and you are due to raise the moon very soon.”

“B-but I want to find him! I want to help find Silver.” Luna was almost in tears.

“Don’t worry, Lulu,” I said, giving her a hug. “We’ll find him. I swear it. We will find him and bring him here.”

After a few moments, Luna reluctantly nodded. “Good,” I said and turned back to the rest of the group.

“Alright, we need a plan.”
“Alright, we need a plan.”

Twilight and I looked at each other.


“Haha! And, and then you know what he says” Smith asked me. “He says, ‘Sir, I’m gonna need to see some identification.’” We both busted out laughing.

“And you were still in uniform?” I asked. Smith nodded and we laughed some more. “Ha, what an idiot,” I said. I took another sip of my Hard Cider. We were sitting in a pub somewhere near the Castle, called ‘The Hay Noir’. This was where we would hang out in our free time. It wasn’t the prettiest looking place, considering how close it was to the Castle, but we had still made memories here over the last few weeks.

Smith took a huge swig of his cider, his helmet gone and mane rustled. “So,” he turned to me, “have you asked her yet?”

I looked at him, confused. “Huh?”

He laughed at me, picking up his freshly refilled cup. “Celestia, ya flank! Have you asked her out yet?”

I started choking on my cider. “W-what?”

“I’ll take that as a ‘No’ then.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, cleaning myself of the spilled cider.

Smith rolled his eyes. “Dude, come on. Everypony in the guard knows you two like each other!” I looked away, my cheeks getting warm. I hope that’s just the cider doing that. “In fact,” he continued, “we actually have a pot going around on who’ll ask first.”

I almost choked again. “What? Why? Did you at least bet on me?” I asked.

“Pshh. Nah. I think she’ll ask first, seeing how much of a wimp you are.” He laughed as I jabbed his shoulder, nearly knocking his cup from his hoof.

We went silent for a few minutes. It wasn’t an awkward silence, just one of those friendly ones where we reflect on what we’ve talked about.

I smiled over at Smith. “What about you and Luna?” I asked.

“Hmm?” He asked from his cup.

“We’ve all seen how she acts around you,” I pointed out. “Don’t act like you don’t know about her crush.”

Smith chuckled at me. “Dude, I got this. It’s called ‘Baiting’, my friend. You let the mare's crush grow and grow, acting like you barely notice it, until…” He gave a drunken, over-exaggerated trap sound. “You spring the trap, and she’s all yours!”

I rolled my eyes. “Come on. Like that actually works.”

“It does!” he said. “An old friend of mine’s brother’s buddy’s uncle did that, and he’s been happily married for over fifteen years now.”

I grinned at him. “You know,” I said after a while, “Even though Luna is technically older than you in normal pony years, in alicorn years, she’s barely legal.”

Smith did a spit take. “What? Really?” He asked.

I smirked and nodded. “Yeah. Do you have any idea how long an alicorn lives for?”

“I thought they had the same life span as everypony else.”

“Not a naturally born Alicorn,” I said, shaking my head. “Tia explained all this to me last week. Alicorns made through magical means have a normal life span. Those who are born alicorns can live for millennia!”

Smith looked back at his cup. “I guess that would explain her height compared to her sister.” After a minute, he suddenly got a smirk on his face. “Hehe, I guess that means when I get old and wrinkly, I’ll still have a mare that looks about twenty at my side. Oh, the guys will be jealous!” He started laughing again, and I just rolled my eyes.

It went silent again for a few minutes before my expression fell. Smith immediately picked up on it. “Bit for your thoughts?” he asked.

“It’s just… growing old,” I said. “I mean, what if I can never get back to where I came from? What about my old friends and family? Hay, what about the old me?!” I looked Smith in the eye, as he frowned back. “I’m just afraid I’ll never get any of it back.” I looked back at my nearly empty cup.

“Look, Knight,” Smith started. “There’s not much I can say for your old friends and family. Those may very well be lost forever.” Gee, thanks for the pick-me-up. “But listen here,” he continued. “Whether or not you get your memory back, no matter what happens up here,” he pointed at my head, “you will always be the same pony in here,” he moved his hoof to my chest. “So what if you never remember who you once were. What about everything you’ve done here?” He motioned toward my new cutie mark. “If you could go back, do you think you would? Would you leave me and the other guards you’ve made friends with? Would you leave Celestia?”

He was right. Even if I was given the choice to go home, I doubt I’d take it now. I smiled up at him. “You always know just what to say, don’t you?”

“Hey, don’t look at me,” he said. “I think I’ve been taking after you. You’re the philosopher here. You know what they say, ‘Good Company’ and all that.”

I just laughed at him. “Well, you’re right, anyways. Thanks.”

He looked offended. “Of course I’m right! When am I ever wrong?”

I was about to bring up the Tutu incident when he cut me off. “Not a word,” he growled.

We both laughed and returned to our drinks.


I quickly trotted down the corridor leading to the courtyard, Tia and five of the girls following. Luna left to get ready to raise the moon, and I had Twilight gather Spike and her brother.

“Why are we going to the courtyard, again?” Dash asked. “Shouldn’t we be on our way to Ponyville right now?”

“Twilight is getting Shining Armor and the other commanding officers together there,” I said. “We need to spread the word to increase our chances of finding Smith.” I sighed, having to explain it a third time. Am I that bad?

“But if he’s at Ponyville, what good would it do to tell the guards here?” Dash asked. If I wasn’t trotting, I would have facehoofed. Luckily Tia helped me out.

“Because Smith used to be a guard," she explained. "As part of his training, if he found himself in an unknown location, he must quickly try to get out and report to a higher authority at once.”

“Exactly,” I said. “And it’s been, what? Twelve hours since I woke up? If he isn’t lost in the Everfree, he is more than likely on his way here.”

“Oh,” Dash breathed. She’ll probably ask again later.

After eight more minutes and another questioning session from Dash, we finally made it to the courtyard to find it packed with guards. There were at least 100 guards standing at attention when we walked out the doors. Next to the entrance was Twilight, with Spike on her back, looking grumpy, and Shining Armor next to her.

“That was quick,” I told Twilight.

“That’s the beauty of teleportation,” she smirked. She’s just trying to make me feel bad, isn’t she?

Shining saluted Tia. “We came as soon as possible when you summoned us, your majesty.”

“Actually,” I said, “I summoned you all here.” I turned to the crowd of guards. “Alright everypony, listen up. We are on the lookout for-”

“I’m sorry,” Shining cut me off, “but who are you and what gives you the right to give us orders?”

I do, Captain,” Tia said. “He is an old friend of mine, and you will listen to him.”

Shining was a little flustered. “U-uh, sorry. Yes, your majesty.” He looked back at me and cleared his throat. “Please, continue.”

“As I was saying, we are on the lookout for a stallion by the name of Silver Smith,” I said. “We don’t know what type of pony he is or what he looks like. He may be wearing guard armor.”

“Wait,” Twilight said, “I thought you said he was a short grey Pegasus?”

“He might not be,” I told everypony. “Whatever magic brought me here and changed me could have also changed him.” Shining raised a brow at that but didn’t question it.

“If he’s wearing guard armor,” one of the guards spoke up, “Then couldn’t he just blend in around here?”

“Nah,” I said. “Knowing that guy, he’ll try to draw attention to himself. Probably even try to get in to see Luna or Tia.”

“Is he dangerous?” another asked.

“No,” Unless he’s been drinking. “He was trained as a royal guard, so he is as non-hostile as you lot, and just like a guard, he won’t engage unless provoked. He is, however, fast and cunning. He will more than likely slip by you if you are not paying attention.”

“You heard him,” Shining called out. “Spread the word and move out!” Everypony saluted and took off, some flying away, others returning to their post in the castle. Shining looked back at us. “I expect answers when this is over.” He then vanished in a flash of light.

I leaned over to Twilight. “Is everypony in your family skilled in Blinking?” I asked.

“Yep,” Twilight said, puffing out her chest. “My mother more than most.”

“Hmm.” I looked up and saw a couple chariots descending to us. I turned to Tia and the girls. “Well, off to Ponyville, then?”

Author's Note:

Yep. That just happened. Is Smith actually here? Or is this just a wild goose chase? What will they find in the Everfree Forest? Why am I asking you? It's not like you actually know, do you? Thought not.

Edit May 24th 2017: IMPORTANT! I am currently rewriting the entire story and with that, many details and aspects are set to change. As such, it will essentially be an entirely new story, meaning this version of Past, Present, and Future is technically Cancelled. There will be no more chapter updates until I finish the rewrite, meaning that this version will not have a proper ending. If it's requested enough, I may do some kind of Cliffnotes version of how the rest of the story was meant to play out, but for right now just know that if you start reading this version, you will not get an ending. I will post an announcement chapter on this story and Blog on my profile when the writing nears completion and I'm about to start uploading chapters. Thank you for all of your interest in my first public work of fiction. It really means a lot to me.