• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 21,855 Views, 607 Comments

Past, Present, and Future - Bpkyle777



Name's Zack. After apparently having vanished 3000 years ago, I returned to Equestria, only this time I'm actually in the same time period as the Element Bearers. I just hope Tia isn't upset that I disappeared...

  • ...
40
 607
 21,855

Chapter 10: Up and About (Part I)

Smith just stared at me. His face was blank, so I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. Umm, should I say something? He just sat there on the hospital bed, perfectly still. I shifted on my hooves a bit. His stare was starting to bug me.

“I think you broke him,” Twilight said. She had arrived halfway through my explanation of MLP to him; right after Tia raised the sun.

“He may just need some time to process everything,” Tia suggested.

After a few minutes, he finally said something. “I always had my suspicions,” Smith mumbled.

I raised an eyebrow. “About what?”

He smirked a bit. “That you were some kind of pervert,” he stated.

“What?” everypony in the room asked.

“How, out of everything I just told you, did you get that?!” I asked.

Smith just laughed and shook his head. “It’s fairly obvious,” He said. “You use to spend your free time watching the day to day lives of six pretty mares for two years.” Smith motioned to Twilight, who blushed. “Kinda creepy if you ask me.”

I facehoofed. “First of all, it’s not like that. I could say the same thing about you when you read about somepony in a book!”

“That’s different,” he said.

“How so?”

“They’re not real!”

“Well neither were these girls before I came here!” I retorted. “Did you not listen to a word I said about the Multiverse thing?”

Smith shook his head. “Nah, too science-y. I couldn’t follow.”

“Oi,” I sat down and rubbed my head. “Even Rainbow Dash could follow that,” I mumbled.

“What was that?”

“Nothing!” I looked back at him. “So, out of everything I told you, that was the only thing that stuck out?”

“No,” he replied.

“What else?” I asked.

“Luna,” he said, and then smirked. “Did she really cry over me?” I jabbed him in the shoulder. “Ow! I’m injured, remember?”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t care. You deserved it.” Smith huffed.

“So what do I call you?” he asked.

“Huh?”

Your name, dipwad,” he groaned. “You have like eight now.” Twilight glared at him for calling me that. Tia just giggled.

“I only have three, thank you.” I thought about it. “Well, Tia and Luna call me Zack. Everypony else calls me Blast, so I guess it’s really up to you.”

“Hmm. I think I’ll try ‘Blast’. It’s a much better name than you chose last time,” Smith chuckled. “I mean, really. ‘Sapphire’?” He laughed harder.

“Hey, I was put on the spot!” I said. “Besides, ‘Silver’ could be considered a mare’s name.” We both laughed.

Smith calmed down a bit. “So what do we do now, oh great and powerful human?” he mocked.

I raised a hoof to jab him again, causing him to flinch back. I laughed and dropped my hoof. “First, we wait until you’re well enough to leave-”

“What are you talking about?” he said. Smith pulled back the covers, yanked off his gown, and jumped to the ground. “I’m just fine!”

Twilight stepped back in surprise and leaned over to me. “Are all your friends as resilient as you?” she asked.

“Pretty much,” I said. “Except Luna. She started bawling one time when she tripped over a fallen tree branch.” I started laughing, but was cut off when Smith jabbed my shoulder, giving me a hard glare. I rubbed my shoulder, returning the glare. “Well, now that you’re obviously well enough,” I looked at Tia and smiled, “we’re all getting a day off!”

Smith tilted his head. “A day off? But I just got here!”

“Yeah,” I said. “You just arrived from traveling over 3000 years in time in the middle of the Everfree Forest, and had to go to the hospital.” He sat on his haunches and frowned at me. “How’s your wing doing, by the way?” I asked.

Smith looked to his left and gave his wing a flex. “It’s better. I don’t really feel the pain anymore.” He looked at me. “And my best buddy is a Pegasus now!” he said pointing at me. “We should definitely go flying sometime!”

I shook my head. “I don’t know if I can.”

“Of course you can. I’ll teach ya.”

“No,” I corrected. “I mean, I don’t think I’m physically able to fly. My internal magic works like a Unicorn’s, so I might not have the magic of a Pegasus.”

“Hmm, magic of a Pegasus…” Smith thought about it for a moment. “Hold on,” he said, and took off out the window. He came back a minute later with a piece of cloud the size of a basketball. “Try stepping on this.”

I did so and my hoof went right through it. “See?” I told Smith. He started frowning. “But I could fudge it a bit using magic.” I picked up my hoof and it glowed cyan for a moment. Smith raised his brow at me. “Watch.” I stuck my hoof back on the cloud, and this time is stayed like it was on a solid object.

“Whoa, how’d you do that?” Smith asked.

“Cloud-walking spell,” Twilight said. “It allows any non-Pegasus to walk on clouds for a short amount of time. I used it on me and my friends once when we all visited Cloudsdale.”

Smith looked up. “Cloudsdale? They finished it?”

“Of course they did,” I said. “They’ve had over 3000 years, remember?”

“Hehe, right.” He rubbed the back of his head. “I guess I owe Flare 15 bits.”

“For what?”

“I told him it wouldn’t be finished for like 5000 years, at the pace they were going.”

I facehoofed. “That is the dumbest bet I have ever heard.” I looked back at the cloud. “Anyways, I’m sure I can make an enchantment to let me fly. It’ll probably be some combination of levitation and power for my wings.”

“Don’t forget Aero magic,” Twilight reminded me.

“Oh yeah, thanks,” I said. “Take note of that so we don’t forget.” Twilight flashed a quill and notebook in front of her and wrote it down.

Tia smirked at me. “You’ve already got her working as your assistant, Zack?”

“Well, yeah,” Twilight said. “We did agree to Sundays,” She teleported the notebook away again.

“But I thought you said this would be our day off?” Tia asked me.

“Oh yeah,” Smith said. “You said something about a huge party later?”

“Yep,” I nodded, “but until then, I guess we can tour Ponyville for a bit.” I looked at Twilight. “Care to show us around town?”

“Sure,” Twilight said.

I looked at Tia, who seemed a little tense. “Come on, Tia. Loosen up. We’re here to have fun today!” I smiled.

Tia nodded, still unsure, and transformed into Sunny.

“Oh, by the way,” I said to Smith, “make sure to call her Sunny. She can’t relax like a normal pony if everypony’s swarming her.”

Smith nodded. “Are there any good pubs in town?” he asked Twilight.

She shook her head. “No, but if it’s hard cider you want, Applejack’s big brother brews the best in Equestria.”

Smith grinned. “Great! I say we stop by there first!”

“Augh.” I facehoofed again.


I rolled out of the way as a red bolt of magic flew past me. I stood back up in time to shield myself from another attack, but an Earth pony jumped me from the side, bucking me in the ribs. I screamed as I felt something give and I flew across the warehouse, missing the huge crates along the way. I landed on my back and rolled a few steps, my black mane falling over my eyes. That son of a-

“I won’t tell you again!” Biggs called from the other side of the warehouse, his horn lighting back up for another attack. “Surrender now and I’ll consider sparing your life.” He stepped closer as I stood back up, legs a little shaky.

“And then what?” I asked. I winced at the pain coming from my ribcage as I spoke. Yep, definitely broke something this time. “You go back to thieving and mugging everypony on the street?”

The dark green unicorn laughed as he approached me, his red mane shaking as he did. “What? Moi? I would never!” His two bodyguards walked on either side of him, one a bald, burly yellow Earth pony with a brown tail, the other a lighter green Pegasus with short grey hair.

“No,” I called out. “You send you’re lackeys to do it.” My horn started to glow cyan again.

This sick-o was Chief Biggs, the largest crime boss in Canterlot. The Royal Guard had been after him for over six years now, but he never left a trace to follow. That is, until I caught one of his messengers at the edge of town, and I managed to scare Biggs’ location out of him.

Biggs just laughed harder. “Like you could really stop me,” he said. “You’re not even a royal guard!”

I smirked at him. “No, I’m not. I’m something much worse.”

He raised a brow at me. “And what, pray tell, is that?”

“A mage.” The image of me they were looking at fizzled out of existence and they looked around in panic.

“Find him!” Biggs ordered. The two bodyguards nodded and took off. The Pegasus inspected the rafters at the top of building, while the Earth pony ran around looking behind and inside every crate.

I laughed, and it echoed throughout the whole building. Biggs grit his teeth and looked all around him, horn charging red again.

“Ah, ah ah!” I called. Biggs’ head jerked as something whacked his horn, causing him to lose focus on his magic for a minute. He looked all around for his attacker, but couldn’t find anypony.

“Show yourself!” he yelled.

“Now!” I yelled. Biggs’ head jerked to the left as he heard his henchmen cry out in pain. Or would they call them ‘henchstallions’? ‘Henchponies’?

“Lance!” he called out. “Hunt!” There was no reply.

I appeared a couple meters behind him. “They won’t help you now,” I said.

Biggs turned to me in shock for a moment, before getting angry again. “Now, you’re gonna die!” he yelled. His horn began to glow again and he fired it at my head. I quickly ducked and returned fire, my blue bolt striking his side as he jumped away. Biggs yelled, more in anger than in pain. He charged at me and fired another shot. It barely singed my hoof as I rolled away. He quickly turned his back to me and raised his hind legs for a kick. I stuck a shield to the bottoms of his hooves, causing him to push himself forward and nearly flip over.

Biggs fell on his face and started charging his horn again before standing up. I took the opening and telekinetically threw the nearby rock I had used earlier to hit his horn again. He stumbled, almost falling again and looked at me in absolute rage, sparks flying off his horn. “Aaaaaaaagh!” he yelled as he launched himself at me, horn first. I quickly teleported behind him and kicked his backside, making him ram his horn into a crate, getting it stuck.

He frantically tried to pull his horn from the crate as ten royal guards swarmed the place, spears at the ready. “It’s about time you all got here,” I said. “I could have used the help, say, ten minutes ago?” One of the guards trotted up to Biggs, clamping a magic dampener on his horn and shackling his hooves together.

“Looks like you had fun,” Smith said, trotting around the corner of a nearby crate. He was in his full gold armor, still looking brand new. I probably look like manure. Two more guards were behind him, each carrying an unconscious bodyguard.

“Yeah, well, you didn’t have to take the bulk of the heat!” I laughed, and started coughing, a little blood hanging on the corner of my mouth. All of the guards left, taking Biggs and his crew back to the castle to lock them up. Biggs was calling back to me, swearing and cursing like it was nopony’s business. Did he just say that I’d ‘rue this day’? Seriously?

Smith trotted to my side. “Well, let’s get you to a hospital. The buck that yellow oaf gave you earlier might have fractured something.” As much as I hated hospitals, I nodded, following him out of the warehouse.


“Oooo! Can I eat it?” Smith asked.

“Of course not!” I said. “It’s not actually candy and gingerbread…” I turned to Twilight. “Is it?”

Sunny was standing next to her. Twilight just giggled and shook her head. “No, it’s not. I’ve seen plenty of kids try to lick it, and their faces would turn to disgust,” she looked past me, “just like your friend’s over there.” Sunny facehoofed.

“Huh?” I turned back around and saw Smith right next to Sugarcube Corner, a large line of drool on the candy cane post near the entrance. He was spitting and wiping his tongue off. “Told you!” I called and laughed at him.

Pinkie suddenly popped out from behind the post, making Smith jump back and fall on his butt. “Yeah! Can you imagine how big the oven would have to be to make a house this size?” she asked.

“H-how did-” Smith stumbled.

“Don’t question it,” I told him.

“But that post isn’t even wide enough to-”

I cut him off again. “It’s just Pinkie being Pinkie. Don’t think about it too hard, or you’ll catch fire like Twilight did.” Twilight blushed and Sunny giggled at her. Smith suddenly looked at the pink mare in fear.

She just giggled. “Hi! My name is Pinkie Pie,” she reached out and grabbed Smith’s hoof to shake it. “I work here at Sugarcube Corner and throw parties for everypony in Ponyville. You must be Silver Smith. Blast has told us all about you! Well not really that much besides your name and what you looked like and that you were his friend and-” A burnt orange hoof cut her off. I think one Pinkie Pie Ramble was enough.

Smith got his bearings and stood back up. “Uh, hi. Are you the mare throwing us the party later?”

“Mmhmm,” she nodded. “Mhmmhm hmm mmm hm hmm hmhm mm hmhmhmhmm!”

“What?” Smith asked. I removed my hoof from her mouth. Ew, it’s all slobbery.

“I said, ‘Everything you need to know is on your invitation!’” Pinkie repeated.

Smith looked at me confused. “What invitation?”

“Oh!” I reached back and pulled out the card Nurse Redheart gave me. “Sorry, I forgot to give this to you.” Wait! How did I do that?! I looked at my backside. Where did I keep it?!

Smith took the card from me and opened it, a bunch of confetti flying everywhere. He wiped his face off and started reading it aloud. “‘As a new pony in Ponyville, you, Silver Smith, are hereby invited to the bash of the year, along with Blast Shield and Sunny Skies. This party will be hosted at Sweet Apple Acres in the barn at 4:00 PM. Hope to see you there. Signed, Pinkie Pie. P.S. – Bring your own lampshades as barns tend to lack in them.’” He raised an eyebrow at me, then Pinkie.

Twilight walked up to read the invitation. “This seems a little duller than your normal invites, Pinkie,” she said.

“Well since I had never actually seen him in pony before,” Pinkie explained, “I wasn’t sure how he’d react to my normal invitations, and I didn’t want to scare him, so I went with a normal card.”

“Normal cards don’t fire confetti,” Smith pointed out.

I looked impressed at Pinkie Pie. “That ‘Cranky Doodle’ thing really taught you a lesson, didn’t it?”

She nodded her head. “Yep! Well, I need to finish planning, so I’ll see you ponies later!” She bounced off.

Smith looked at me. “Is she always so…”

“Yeah,” I said and turned to Twilight. “So, that’s most of Ponyville covered: Town hall, the library, the marketplace, the fountain, Sugarcube Corner. I guess all that’s really left is the Carousel Boutique and Sweet Apple Acres, right?”

She nodded. “Pretty much.” Twilight looked up at the clock tower across town. “We still have a few more hours so we can stop by Fluttershy’s Cottage along the way if you want.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I said, as we started walking towards the edge of town.

“We did promise to let her know what happened,” Sunny reminded us.

After a few quiet minutes of walking, we crossed the bridge leading to Fluttershy’s place, and we could already see swarms of birds, bunnies, and a bear in the distance. Smith’s eyes brightened up. I smirked at him.

Twilight walked up next to him. “Fluttershy is the local animal caretaker,” she explained. “She feeds and treats any animals that need her help, as well as provide the town with pets.” Smith nodded and I could see his excitement growing.

We approached the cottage. Fluttershy was flying around, refilling the bird feeders hanging off her house. She saw us walking up, put the bag she was holding down, and fluttered over to us. “Hey guys. How are you this afternoon?” she asked softly.

“We are well, Fluttershy,” Sunny responded. Fluttershy looked at each of us, stopping at Smith in surprise and shrunk down, hiding behind her mane.

“Hi,” Smith said. When she didn’t respond, he continued. “My name’s Silver Smith.” She stayed there, barely glancing at him. He turned to me. “Wow, name says it all, huh?”

I chuckled. “Pretty much. She just has to get use to you.”

Angel Bunny hopped out of the cottage over to Fluttershy, not even paying us any attention. He started thumping his foot, waiting on something from Fluttershy.

I smiled as Smith gasped and jumped at Angel, bring is head down to his level. “Oh my gosh! Such a cute bunny!” Angel ignored him until Smith started to rub his head. Angel smiled and started to thump his foot in pleasure instead of impatience. “What his name?”

Fluttershy livened up a bit. “Oh, his name is Angel Bunny. He’s my pet.”

“What a cute name,” Smith said. He paused when he saw Twilight and Sunny looking at him, confused, and me about to burst out laughing. He immediately shot back up. “Ahem, I mean, that’s nice.”

Fluttershy just giggled at him. Angel got mad that the rubbing suddenly stopped and looked back at Fluttershy. “He must be hungry,” she said. She looked at Smith. “Do you want to help me feed him?”

Smith’s eyes lit up again, but he quickly pushed his excitement back down and cleared his throat. “Sure, whatever,” he said, trying to sound cool. They both walked back to the cottage, Angel trailing them.

Sunny and Twilight looked at me confused. I just smiled. “He’s always had a soft spot for rabbits,” I explained.

“He just doesn’t seem the type,” Twilight said.

I laughed. “They never do.” I trotted to the cottage and they followed close behind.

Author's Note:

Edit May 24th 2017: IMPORTANT! I am currently rewriting the entire story and with that, many details and aspects are set to change. As such, it will essentially be an entirely new story, meaning this version of Past, Present, and Future is technically Cancelled. There will be no more chapter updates until I finish the rewrite, meaning that this version will not have a proper ending. If it's requested enough, I may do some kind of Cliffnotes version of how the rest of the story was meant to play out, but for right now just know that if you start reading this version, you will not get an ending. I will post an announcement chapter on this story and Blog on my profile when the writing nears completion and I'm about to start uploading chapters. Thank you for all of your interest in my first public work of fiction. It really means a lot to me.