• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 3,577 Views, 16 Comments

The other side of the coin - Unbekannt



Princess Twilight Sparkle's work days are hard. She never comes to see her friends anymore. The only thing to cheer her up is Flash Sentry, the new, handsome guard. But when he suddenly disappeared, Twilight had no choice...

  • ...
13
 16
 3,577

The other side of the coin

This morning started for Princess Twilight Sparkle like every other does: Early. Too early for the new princess. She yawned and slowly got out of her bed in a huge room in the castle of Canterlot. Spike could continue sleeping, HE didn't have to work at 6 in the morning. While putting on her crown and dress, she thought about her royal duty. Princess Celestia told her to be her assistant, for "learning". Basically, that means "Do all the boring stuff for me while I do the important work". On the other hand, Twilight was new and had no experience in being a princess, so maybe that's alright.
But the worst part: She never gets to see her friends. They visited her once, but never again. The princess just had too many things to do for her mentor – and now boss – Princess Celestia. She couldn't even get a free minute.
Sometimes, after a hard day, Twilight thought "Why am I still doing this?". But when she walks out of her room, she remembers: The new, kind of handsome blue-maned pegasus with his orange fur and shimmering blue eyes, guarding the princess' room.

"Good morning, princess!", he said loudly.

"Vice versa. Please stop the shouting Flash. And I told you to call me Twilight", she answered, tired from her way too short sleep.

She already had some conversations with him in the morning, so the two know each other well. But the guards' rules forbid them to call a princess by their first name. She wasn't sure how she should feel about Flash Sentry. He did look good, but...

"I'm sorry, Princess Twilight. Princess Celestia awaits you in the garden."

"Like always" Twilight said, slightly annoyed.

This day wasn't different from the other 3 weeks of being a princess. Twilight had to fill out formulars for her mentor, walk next to her on the way through the castle, sit beside Celestia while SHE talks to important ponies from all of the world, raised the sun and discussed with her sister. Twilight was a princess too, so why does she never gets to do things like this?

"The time will come for you, one day.", was the same answer everytime she asked.

---

In the next morning, Twilight was even more tired. Dragon tired. She really needed something to cheer herself up. Maybe talking with Flash Sentry would help her through the day.
But when the princess opened the door, she couldn't believe her eyes: The handsome Pegasus was gone. Now, there was a white, plump pegasus with a yellow mane guarding her room.

"Good morning, princess!" he shouted.

"W – Where is Flash? Flash Sentry?" Twilight asked confused.

"I'm sorry princess, but I don't know. Princess Celestia told me to be the guard of your room from now on. He didn't show up for work today."

She held back a tear.

"Thank you" she said softly and trotted away slowly.

---

When Twilight met Princess Celestia in the garden, she asked:

"Before we get to work, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Twilight Sparkle."

"Could you please tell me where the orange-fured guard with the blue mane in front of my room went? Flash Sentry?"

"Flash Sentry? He now guards a museum in Ponyville. To have a shorter way to his new work, he moved there. Why do you ask? Are you not satisfied with your new guard?"

"P – Ponyville?" Twilight couldn't believe this. Not only that all of her friends live in Ponyville, now her crush - wait, did she just say crush? - moved there too! And she is stuck here in Canterlot with a hole hayload of work to do.

Twilight thought a few seconds. Her mind worked out something. A plan.

"Another Thing... Could my friends come and visit me tomorrow?" she asked.

"Your friends may visit you in the morning. Is there something bothering you, Princess Twilight?"

"Well... no. Let's go to work."

Twilight knew, she only had to get through this day, because tomorrow...


--------------------------------------------------------------------


"Wake up wake up wake up Twilight! We're here! Surpriiiiise!"

Waking up to such a high and loud voice is not very nice. Waking up to your friends after almost a months is. All of her five friends were standing in Twilight's huge room. Well, not everyone was standing. Pinkie Pie jumped through the room, happy to see her friend, and Rainbow Dash did a looping in the air, her rainbow-coloured mane twirled around.

"You made it! I'm so glad you're here everyone!" Twilight said full of joy, a bright smile on her face.

"Of course we made it, Twi. The apples can wait. We were waiting so long for seeing you again!, Sugarcube", Applejack said.

After a long group hug, Twilight became serious.

"Alright, everypony. There is something we must discuss. Let's go to Princess Celestia. This is important and the reason why I wanted you to come."

The five friends looked each other confused in the eye. What did she want to discuss them with Princess Celestia?

---

"Good morning, Princess Twilight Sparkle", Celestia said in her soft, but powerful voice. "I see your friends are here. But why did you bring them..."

"Princess", Twilight interrupted her, "I think I have to tell all of you something important."

Celestia looked confused, just like the five friends.

Twilight took a deep breath, preparing for the reaction she would get.

"Princess Celestia? I... I don't think that... I want to be a princess anymore."

Her friends gasped loudly.

"WHAT?!" They all shouted simultaneously.

Celestia didn't look confusedanymore, but interested.

"Why is that, my former student?"

"I-It's just... I never come to see my friends. And all the other ponys in Ponyville. I miss them so much", she said while smiling at their friends, holding back a tear.

"I have so much work to do... And you do all the important stuff. 'The time will come for you, one day'. But what day? When am I a full princess? I don't want to hear the answer anymore. I want to live in Ponyville again, with my friends, but without my crown or my wings, from which I don't even know how to use. Please. Is there a chance for me to be just a regular unicorn from Ponyville?"

These words brought absolute silence with them. Her friends stared at her, their mouthes wide open. Pinkie even stopped jumping, and Rainbow Dash landed instead of flying above her friends.

After five quiet seconds, which seemed like a eternity for Twilight, Celestia answered calm and slowly:

"Princess Twilight Sparkle. Are you sure you want to give up your life as a princess? You'll lose your home in Canterlot, your wings, your guards and, of course, the status as a princess. There is no way back. Are you sure you want to go back to Ponyville with your friends?"

Twilight took another deep breath.

"Yes, I do."

"Well then."

Prepared for anything, for Celestia putting a spell on Twilight, for losing her wings, for getting kicked out of Canterlot, Twilight closed her eyes and hoped for the best.

Ten more silent seconds later, Celestia said:

"Congratulations, Twilight Sparkle. Your friends are more important for you than anything else. Your time has come. THIS day. You have just learned the last lesson about friendship."

"I – I did what?" Twilight said. She wasn't prepared for THIS. "Wait... does... does that mean I'm a full princess now?"

"Basically, yes. But, your courage and your love for your friends shall be rewarded.” Her voice rose. From now on, you will be... the princess of Ponyville!"

The six friends were stunned by these words. Their mouthes widening more and more every second, her eyes looking more perplexed than ever, Princess Celestia continued:

"You will rule Ponyville like Princess Cadence rules the Crystal Empire. Also, you will have time to have fun with your friends. As a princess, you will keep your crown and wings, too. But, since there is no castle, and we don't have the room to build one there, you have to stay in your old home: The library of Ponyville. Is that alright with you?"

"Y-yes! Of course! Thank you very much, princess!"

Twilight could hardly believe her luck. This was great! The confused faces on her friends now turned into big smiles from ear to ear. Pinkie jumped around Twilight, full of happiness.

---

On the way to her new old home, the library of Ponyville, Twilight laughed and talked to her friends. She was happy like she never was. But still, she felt like something was missing...

"Princess Twilight!"

A voice called her name from the big tree full of books. It came from a guard. A pegasus with orange fur, a blue mane and shimmering blue eyes.

"Flash! You're here?" Twilight shouted, running at her cru – um, guard. She flung her arms around his neck.

Her friends chuckled at the two, but Twilight didn't care.

"I – I'm happy to see you, too?" Flash said, slightly confused, but smiling.

"Weren't you supposed to guard a museum?"

"Nope, Princess Celestia told me to stand in front of this empty library and wait for “the new occupant”. But she didn't tell me it was you!"

Twilight never had more sympathy for Princess Celestia than now.

She knew, everything is gonna be just fine.

THE END.

Author's Note:

Hey,

this is my very first story I ever wrote. Besides, I am a German student who learns English for six years now. So if there are any grammatically errors or things I could write better, PLEASE tell me in the comments. I want to improve, and I also have an idea for a next fic, but I don't know if I will write it.
I know it's a short story, but I can't wrote long storys, no matter how hard I try, they always end up too short.
The idea for the story sounded better in my head, but anyway...

Thank you a lot for reading!

Comments ( 16 )

Too short, but daws anyway.

She forgot the one thing to make this all fine: The kiss.

2863167
Well, I made it a hug ;)

Good story. Congrats on learning English.:moustache:

2879211

Umm... thanks? :rainbowhuh:

2879936
I know, it is my First Story. It didn't end up as well as I thought it would. Also, I expexted more criticism like this. Thanks :D

good plot, pretty decent for a first story.

I've seen many tenth stories that were ten times worse.

Keep learning.

It may have been a very short story but I really enjoyed it, if you ever decide to make a sequel I think it would be great to go more into there relationship

2895868

Sorry, I don't really want to do a romance, although i think these two are pretty cute together...
But I'm going to write more fictions, I already have two ideas for long stories.
Anyway, I write veeery slow so it could take a while.

Dude that story fucking zoomed

But still got a daw/daaaaaaawwwwwwwww

2918982

Dude you have one awesome profile there...
Thanks for commenting ^^

Omg that was awsome :pinkiegasp: new fave

2880230 It's not boring! It's really great for starters! I'm not English too.

2863167 the kiss could be too much.

Login or register to comment