• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 1,070 Views, 1 Comments

A Weekend Getaway - DJ Dreamtheater



Applejack and Rainbow Dash try to take a weekend off to get some alone time together.

  • ...
6
 1
 1,070

Chapter I

Chapter I

“Everyone needs time to get away from their life and relax.
It helps to spend that time alone or with a special person.
Spend that time to get to know one’s self.
Get to know one’s true desires.”

“So what do you say AJ?” Rainbow asked with high hopes

“Ah don’t know Rainbow.” Applejack replied hesitantly

“Aww come on! It’s a great idea.” Rainbow moaned as she nudged Applejack

“Ah’m sure it’s great place and all but Ah’m just too busy right at the moment.” Applejack answered as she bucked the tree next to her

“Please!” Rainbow insisted

“We’ll talk about it later. Right now Ah gotta finish this row of trees” Applejack replied as she motioned to the row of apple trees behind Rainbow

“Fine…” Rainbow groaned

“Don’t ya’ll worry your pretty head. Once this order is done we’ll spend the whole weekend together.” Applejack reassured

"You promise?" asked Rainbow

"Of course Ah do sugar cube." Applejack replied as she rubbed against Rainbow

About two weeks have passed since Applejack confronted her family and told them that she and Rainbow Dash are together now. News like this was something that the Apple family was not expecting or even thought possible. This announcement was not only hard on the family but also on Applejack herself. She was taught as a filly that love did not objectify, that love can come in all sizes, shapes and race but she never thought that her love would be between her and another female. She had her doubts about the relationship with her Pegasus friend and wondered if this was the true thing that she had looked for most of her life or just a passing moment for them.

Of course Applejack had her doubts about this after all it’s not like this was just somepony she met randomly. This was Rainbow Dash her friend, her best friend, and now her lover. Applejack wondered what if this doesn't work out. Will they be friends afterwards or would she lose a friend. What if her family doesn't accept Rainbow? Or for that matter both of them. What if their friends find out before they tell them? How would they act? Applejack had many thoughts still running through her mind but as always she would pull that signature cowboy hat of hers down over her face and try to block those thoughts out. Then Rainbow would come around the farm towards the end of the day to spend a little time with her and all those doubts would disappear for the night.

These past two weeks have been havoc on Applejack. First she came out to her family and now she is in an intense relationship with her friend Rainbow, that she has doubts about, and now a big order for two dozen barrels of apples came in from some fancy chef friend of Rarity’s that lives in Manehatten. Applejack really hasn't had any chance to spend real quality time with Rainbow which is probably why she is having doubts about their relationship.

Rainbow, being the kind of pony she is, she wants to spend time with AJ but knowing how hard Applejack likes to work Rainbow gets annoyed with her because she tends to focuses more on work than anything else. Rainbow then decided she would go over to the farm after her weather patrol duties and help Applejack with the bucking. This way they could spend some time together and Rainbow could show Applejack how useful she can be around the farm.

Rainbow had seen how hard her marefriend had been working the last few days and she also could tell AJ had a lot on her mind so Rainbow came up with an idea that Applejack couldn't refuse. Rainbow approached Applejack one afternoon with the idea that after she finished this order that the two of them should take a weekend vacation. Just the two of them, together and alone, so they could finally spend the time together they have been wanting.

* * *

Rainbow’s and Applejack’s weekend was drawing close and Rainbow had everything planned out for the two of them but the only problem was that, as usual, Applejack is buried in her work and is unwilling to leave the job unfinished. Rainbow did respect this aspect of Applejack but it still can be annoying. Rainbow did have a plan that would help out Applejack and also show the Apple family that she is going to be a permanent member of the family and farm.

As usual, after Rainbow’s duties around Ponyville, she headed out to the Apple family farm where she met up with AJ hard at work and slowly making her way through the orchard. Normally Rainbow wouldn't mind helping out Applejack with some of the work load but today she seemed less interested in helping and more with lazing around on a cloud above Applejack and recanting her day. Rainbow kept talking about the newbie added to the weather patrol team and how clueless he was at certain things.

Today Rainbow had seemed to be like her old, lazy, self. Of course Applejack didn't mind at first because her and Rainbow haven’t had the time to sit around and talk like this since she’s been working. Applejack just kept up with her usual routine and listened to Rainbow go on and on about nothing. Applejack wasn't minding Rainbow’s presence that was until Rainbow started to get in AJ’s way. After Rainbow was done talking she floated down onto a branch in an apple tree then began to take a nap. Applejack wouldn't mind this if it was a tree she had bucked already but Rainbow would fly down in a tree that AJ would head towards then lay there. Applejack would then move on to the next and sure enough Rainbow would be in that one too.

After about five or six trees AJ kicked the tree Rainbow was currently in making her fall out and landing in the cart Applejack was pulling.

“Now what’s the big idea Rainbow?!” Applejack demanded

“What? Somepony can’t take a nap?” Rainbow answered

“Not if it’s in one of my trees Ah’m bucking.” Replied Applejack

“Well I was trying to find a comfy enough tree.” Retorted Rainbow

“Gosh darn it Rainbow this is no time for games. Ah have to finish this order and now its sundown.” Applejack motioned at the setting sun.

“Ah guess Ah’ll finish tomorrow then.” Applejack mumbled as she headed to the house.

“Night AJ” said Rainbow

“Night Rainbow” Applejack replied

Rainbow sat there and watched the sun set over the orchard as she silently counted the trees with apples still on them. She finished counting and headed to the barn where the supplies were. In the back of the barn were eight barrels filled with apples and four set to the side each one of them had the same name, address, city and zip code on them. Rainbow walked to the barn door and looked out. It was night now and only the glow of the moon was illuminating the trees. She grabbed four buckets and flew out to the orchard where she placed the them under one of the trees she was in earlier that day. Rainbow then flew back, grabbed four more, then headed back to orchard and placed the buckets down at another tree. She repeated this process until ten trees had four buckets under them.

Rainbow cracked her neck and stretched then took off into the trees. She shook one tree until the apples fell then moved onto the next one and did the same until the trees were bear but the buckets were filled. Rainbow flew down grabbed four buckets at a time and took off to the barn and poured them into the empty barrels. All night long Rainbow repeated this process of placing buckets, shaking trees and pouring apples. The moon glowed overhead giving her the light she needed and the sounds of the wind concealed the flapping of her wings. It was a slow and tedious process but the thought that she was helping AJ kept her going through the night.

* * *

The sun broke the horizon and morning was coming. Applejack woke up from her sleep when the sun hit her in the face and the sounds of birds could be heard chirping. She sat up in her bed and rubbed her face then walked over to her mirror. She brushed through her long, blonde, mane to get it looking like how she likes it. She tied the ends together with her favorite red bands and added the finishing touch being her hat then heads down the stairs to start the day.

Applejack doesn't even bother with eating breakfast this morning she just wants to get this order done so she and Rainbow can have some time together. Rainbow’s idea about them going off for the weekend did sound pleasing. That idea is the reason why she’s been working as hard as she has been these last few days. The idea of them being alone for the whole weekend is enough to make her face turn red. Applejack shakes her head and walks out the front door.

In her head Applejack had the day planned out. She has four barrels left so she figures that she can do two or three today leaving the rest for tomorrow. As Applejack was calculating the number of trees she would need to get through today she was caught off guard by something. The barn door was slightly open which is weird since she closed it last night. Applejack leaned her head in the door and to her surprise saw that all the barrels were filled and stacked near the front of the barn.

She slowly walked in and inspected the barrels to see if they were actually filled which they were. Applejack looked around the barn in puzzlement trying to figure out whom or what did this. Suddenly the slight sounds of heavy breathing could be heard. They were coming from the back of the barn. Applejack slowly wondered to the back and saw Rainbow lying on a mound of hay covered with a blanket. It didn't take AJ long to put two and two together. Rainbow had worked through the night to finish her work so the two of them could have the weekend together like Rainbow planned. Rainbow must have acted the way she did yesterday so Applejack would turn in early giving Rainbow the entire night to work on her surprise for this morning. Applejack let Rainbow sleep as she and Big Mac began to load the barrels onto a cart then headed out to Ponyville so the barrels could be mailed off.

On the way back to the farm Applejack kept thinking about how hard Rainbow must have worked in order to finish this order. Applejack had a small smile going across her face the whole time her and Big Mac were walking back to the farm. She was lost in her own thoughts about Rainbow that she nearly walked pass the farm entrance. If it wasn't for Big Mac nudging her out of her dream world she could have kept walking for miles.

When they made it back to the barn Applejack went to the back to check on Rainbow and sure enough she was still sound asleep and oblivious to the world. Big Mac noticed his sister sitting next to Rainbow and decided that this is no place for him right now. He walked out and silently closed the door behind him. It was still early in the morning and even though Applejack wasn't tired that didn't stop her from taking her hat off and curling up next to Rainbow. It had been a long time since they slept side by side and Applejack had forgotten the smell of Rainbow’s mane.

Applejack lost track of time lying there with Rainbow but today it didn't matter. She had nothing to do and she didn't want to do anything but be here at this moment. Rainbow turned over and opened her eyes to see Applejack lying next to her with her eyes closed. Rainbow could tell Applejack wasn't asleep but she let her keep lying there. Applejack placed her nose under Rainbow’s chin and whispered to her.

“This is a great start to our weekend Rainbow.”

-End-

Comments ( 1 )

The d'awws wont stop...

Login or register to comment