• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,415 Views, 163 Comments

Mass Effect: New Beginnings - Sleepyted



What if Commander Shepard didn't die on the Citadel?

  • ...
32
 163
 4,415

Chapter 16: Canterlot

Shepard

=========================================================================
After finishing the helmet Blackjack went back to his friends while I stayed in the corner to think about things. I have so many questions, why am I a pony? How did I get here? Why aren’t I dead? So many questions and no answers, this is so annoying.

I wonder how many people will be trying to join the guard. And I hope I’m not the only girl there, if I am I’m never going to hear the end of it.

I wonder how long it takes to actually get into the guard. In the Alliance it took 6 months to pass training.

I think I’m going to try and catch a few z’s before we get to Canterlot. I go over to the war which I sit down and lean ageist the wall and close my eyes.

“Umm, excuse me?”

I open my eyes and tilt my head up, it was a normal pony with a white coat and a light blue mane and his cutie mark was a couple of icicles.

“Yea.” I still have my helmet on and the rest of my armour as well.

“I just wanted to ask were you the pony that stopped the robber the other day?”

“Huh, I’m surprised that you know who I am when you can’t see my face.”

“I recognised you from your cutie mark, what is it?”

“So you just admitted that you were staring at my flank?”

He blushed a bright shade of red. “Anyway, about your question it’s an Omi-blade, a very deadly weapon and if you don’t want to be on the other end of it I recommend you leave.” He swallowed nervously and walked off.

I leaned my head back down and closed my eyes again, I need to get some rest, I’ve done training for an army before and you need as much rest as you can get. And soon after closing my eyes I fell asleep.

I soon woke to the feeling of the jerk of the train stopping, I guess we’re at Canterlot now. I stand up and look around the train cart, everyone is getting off. We all wondered out onto the platform, I was staring at the castle, how did that thing even support its own weight?

“RECRUITS, FRONT AND CENTER!” I turned my head to face the voice.

It was a white unicorn with a multi-coloured mane. I guess he ether a drill instructor, captain or something like that. We all quickly ran towards the unicorn and made rows of five in front of him.

“OKAY RECRUITS, WE ARE GOING TO GO GET YOU TO THE REST OF YOU MAGGOTS!” Wow, this guys is much nicer that the drill instructors in the Alliance.

“SINGLE FILE!”

We all made a single file line in front of him, I was seventh from the front, and I was behind that creep white pervert. I wonder how many other recruits there are.

We followed the guard for some time till we reached to castle, I’m happy I had my helmet on to hide my jaw which would be agape and eyes wide. The castle was so awesome I had trouble to keep up with the rest of the group, the style reminded me of old timey Europe back on earth, I never saw many the museums while on earth so seeing stuff like this really stuck me in a state of awe.

We enter through the main gate and started to head to the far off side of the castle, I guess the guard barracks are on the castle grounds.

We continued walking through the castle grounds till we reached a large open field. It seemed that there were many other ponies in said field and half of which were a dark shade of gray. I want to get a better look, wait, I could use the zoom function on my visor, yea, I have my helmet on so no one will really notice. With a quick push of a button the visor turned on. All of the HUD entered my vision, I look at all the different icons in it. My barrier is down, I have no gun and the clock is blinking 12, so most of this is useless unless I get the time and power up my barrier which I have no use for at the moment. Ok, I'm getting side tracked, on to the task at hand, hoof, whatever. I allow my visor to zoom in onto the crowd in front of me, they’re a lot stallions here than mares, it seems to be about 20 to 1, I guess I'll be the only chick in my squad it seems. I also see as I'm looking through the crowd that most of the black ponies seem to look a bit like bats, Bat Ponies? You learn something new every day. They seem to have dagger like irises and webbed wings instead of feathered ones, they also had fangs, and if they try to drink my blood I’m shoving my blade right through their abdomen. Once I see all there is to see I un-zoom my visor going back to my normal vision, god, I need to use this thing more often, it seems so useful and all I now need is the time.

“Anyone got the time?” I asked looking behind me.

“Yea, it’s 5:27.” Great, I’ll put it into my visor and Omi-tool.

“Thanks.”

I hold my hoof up to my mouth to use the voice function on my Omi-tool, I don’t want them to see it.

“5:27.” I whispered into my arm.

The clock on my visor turned off then turned back on with the time instead of just blinking 12.

We soon got to the field where all the other ponies were, there are a lot more than I thought, around eleven hundred at best.

“ATTENION!” We all turned to face the front of the group where a small stage was set up.

“OKAY, RECRUITS THOSE WHO WANT TO JOIN THE NIGHT GUARD WALK TO THE LEFT AND EVERYPONY ELSE GO TO THE RIGHT!” Huh, so there’s a different faction of guard for night and day. I wonder if I should join night or day, if I join day I don’t think they’ll let me keep my armour, I’ll go night.

I walked off to the left with most of the bat ponies and a few normal ones like me. I turned my head to get a better look at the other recruits with me, I only see 7 other non-bat ponies here, I guess if their like bat’s they can see in the dark better. I have my night vision and heat vision on my visor to help with that.

We all went to the left of the field where we were told to go, there was another small stage which was a little larger than the one in the centre of the field.

We all lined up in front of the stage waiting for what will happen next. We stood there for a few moments until a bat-pony walked on stage, he was wearing what I guessed was the night guard armour.

“ALL RIGHT MAGGOTS, LET ME GET ONE THING STRAIT, MOST OF YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO JOIN THE NIGHT GUARD!” She pursed for a moment to let it sink in.

“WE ONLY LET THE BEST OF THE BEST TO JOIN THE NIGHT GUARD SO IF YOU THINK YOU DON”T HAVE THE GUTS GO JOIN THOSE DAY GUARD WIMPS!” Wow, subtle.

To my surprise quite a few of the ponies in the group left to join the day guard, even some of the bat-ponies.

“OKAY, WE ARE GOING TO BRAKE UP INTO SMALLER GROUPS, AND THE WAY US NIGHT GUARDS CHOSE WHO GOING TO BE LEADING THE GROUP IS DECIED IN BATTLE!” I heard many a gulp behind me.

“ANYPONY WANTING TO LEAD A SQUAD STEP UP ON STAGE!”

I stepped up and got on the stage, about 20 other people hopped up as well.

“ALRIGHT MAGGOTS, BRAKE OFF INTO PAIRS!” Did he still have to yell?

I looked around to find a partner, I saw one, and he was a bat-pony who stood there looking around with a smirk on his face. I walked up to him to which he gave a chuckle. “You should just forfeit now, I’ll crush you like a bug.”

I want to seem as badass as possible so I won’t talk.

“ALRIGHT, NOW ON THE COUNT OF THREE, START FIGHTING TILL THE OTHER ONE FORFEIT’S OR GETS KNOCKED OUT!” Huh, this seems to be a lot nicer than the Alliance boot camp.

“ONE, TWO, THREE!”

And with that it started.

Author's Note:

Okay first things first, i wanted to say thank you for 500-ish views, wow guys, thank you so much.
Secondly this is a question of preference, do you want me to post 1-2 thousand word chapter every 2-3 days or a couple of 10-12 thousand word chapters a month?