• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,415 Views, 163 Comments

Mass Effect: New Beginnings - Sleepyted



What if Commander Shepard didn't die on the Citadel?

  • ...
32
 163
 4,415

Chapter 18: Swords

Shepard

=========================================================================
The sword wasn't that heavy but I can still tell it was good quality for an iron sword even though I’ve only seen them in picture books and such, I never thought I would be using one in an old fashioned fencing match. First time for everything I guess.
My visor starts scanning Deep Cut for any weak points, huh, it seems he only has one weak spot and that is his muzzle.
Hmmmmm, how am I going to go about this? He seems to be like the other bat pony I fought with, quick and nimble, he'll go for fast hits, trying to get out as many as he can before I can attack. I have to make sure I'm not open for attack, I also should protect my muzzle due to the injury in the previous match.
"Don't you think you should watch how he fights first?"
I snap my head around to look behind me to see who's talking to me but to my suppose no one was there. Huh, I must be hearing thing, but the voice has a point, I shouldn't judge him just on how he looks, I need to see how he moves and attacks.
"We'll of cause I have a point, why wouldn't I?"
Dan it there's that voice again, I going on meds once this is over, I probably on the verge of breaking down as it is and the last thing I need is a voice to annoy the crap out of me. I wonder where I can get meds fro-.
I was cut from my thinking as Deep Cuts blade went straight towards me, I had little time to block but I managed it. That's what I get for not paying attention.
He swings again this time diagonally downwards, I quickly brought up my sword to block and when I did it made a massive clank noice, if that were to hit me I wouldn't have a head anymore, I really hope the blades aren't too sharp other wise someone might get killed.
I now try my go at the offensive by going for an upwards swing but he blocks it with ease. He slams his sword on top on mine holding it in place. I stood there dazed with my sword in the stage trying from the recoil from the block, I looked down to my sword and saw almost half the blade buried into the think wood. I look back up to him but only see a fast approaching black object, I closed my eyes waiting for the pain I'm about to feel. A sharp sting was felt along my cheek, I'm supprised that he didn't go for my muzzle but who am I to complain?
The force of the hit sent me spalling back about 7 feet. There goes my theory about him being fast but soft, he hits like a brick wall and I know how much they hurt.
How am I going to beat this guy, it seems as if when ever I go for an attack he's ready for it.
"Try using your biotics." and there's the voice back.
I can't use my biotics or I might become some lab rat, I don't want to spend my life on a table, I already did that for two years.
"Technically you didn't spend much of your life on a table, do you remember the fact that you were dead most of the time?"
Deep Cut starts to advance over to me, I just need to hold out till I find a weak spot.
"You know if you don't at least put up your barrier you will be in a lot of pain?"
I'm still not using my biotics, I can't risk it in the slightest. Also who the hell are you?
"All in good time my friend, all in good time."
Okay back to the fight, I'm on the ground with what mostly is going to be a black eye and a brushed back, my weapon in the stage and my opponent approaching me ready to attack. Come on think, I could try and use my armor as a shield but it will hurt like hell, Kevlar is made to protect against small impacts, to big the impact as the armor will protect me but all the pain will get through, I do have upgrades to my skin and bone to make the stronger, if I use my arms as a make soft shield it will hurt but nothing too bad will happen especially with the Kevlar armor on.
Deep Cut approaches me, I get ready to defend a attack but to my surprise he just holds out a hoof. "Need a hoof?" I reluctantly grab his hoof and he pull me to my feet.
" it not a fair fight if you can't fight back, just grab your sword when your ready to start again." Huh, he seems like a nice guy, unlike all the other bat ponies I've seen.
Once I've got stable footing a give him a nod, I still didn't want to talk, I want to be the badass who doesn't say anything. I walk over to my sword which is still imbedded into the stage and give it a good hard pull. It takes a few try's but I manage to free it in little to no time. I walk over to the other side of the stage to Deep Cut and get into a fighting stance. I have my whole body, I need to use it, I distracted him with a hoof and when he's trying to block that I go for the swing of the blade.
We stand there for a few moments before we both rush at each other. He goes for a head hight swing to which I duck down, with my head by his feat he brings one of his fire hooves back ready to kick me in the face. I hold one of my fore hooves over my face to protected it from the heavy blow that would have left me concussed. I hear a load thud as his shin connects with my armor hoof, I can tell that hurt a fare bit for him because it did for me. As he retreats his leg back I bring my head up and go for a swing to the legs, he saw this and jumped over my blade before bringing his down on top of my head. On reflex I dropped my sword and brought my forehooves over my head to block to blow. A sudden sharp stinging shot through both my arms to where they meet my body, it was so painful, it felt like I broke both my arms but I know that didn't happen. I heard the whole crowd gasp and I block a sharpened blade with my bare hooves, if I didn't have to Kevlar it would have cut me with little trouble. I look up to Deep Cut who is wide eyed shocked about what just happened. Before anyone could reacted I yanked the sword from Deep Cuts grasp and bring it around for another swing.
The blade goes straight for his face, his closed his to prepare for the pain he would be feeling, when the sword was just about to hit him I stopped it. It took a few moments for Deep Cut to open his eye but when he did he was greeted with the shine of a sword hovering just next to his muzzle, know that I had to draw blood to win I gave a quick flick of my wrist giving him a small cut on his cheek. As the single drop of blood rolled down his face and dripped to the floor the crowd cheered, the load whistling and yelling made it all the the more satisfying to have won. The sword which is still held out next to Deep Cut's face is lowerd, I move my hoof down the blade so I was gripping it by the hand guard. I held out the sword towards Deep Cut to which he gave me a smile a took the blade.
I walked over to the sword which I used during the fight and picked it up, when I leaned up with the blade in hand, hoof, what ever, I saw the drill instructor staining at me with a frown.
"SO, YOU WERE ABLE TO WIN, DIDN'T EXPECT YOU TO, WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE A NIGHT GUARD OF YOU YET!" Does this asshole ever stop yelling?
"I don't think so."
God dam it, I almost forgot about you, can you just leave me alone?
"You can't get rid of me that easily."
Worth a try at least.
"RECRUITS, ALL OF YOU HEAD TO THE BARRACKS AND GET SETTLED IN, DISMISSED!"
I wonder what room I'm in, I hope at least one other girl is there, I've been the only girl in a team before and boy does it suck. Lets just hope it's not the case here.

Author's Note:

Okay here's a new chapter (happy face)
Also thank you guys for the 599 views, I really love all the support you guys give, it makes me feel so good inside (not like that you perv)
Also I played through ME3 again and changed around my class and it got me to think, should I make Shepard's powers a mixture of different classes or stick with the one I can't remember the name of?
Also if any of you can guess the voices name I'll put one of your OCs in, Adamdwarf, you can't guess cause you already know his name.