• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,415 Views, 163 Comments

Mass Effect: New Beginnings - Sleepyted



What if Commander Shepard didn't die on the Citadel?

  • ...
32
 163
 4,415

Chapter 21: Macaroni and cheese

Shepard

=========================================================================

The cafeteria.

In the alliance it was just an area where we ate tinny amounts of crap food ever seven hours. We used to sit around eating processed ‘food’ that tasted like cardboard, wait, cardboard would be tastier. There were only two times when I had REAL food was when I bought provisions from the citadel or when I was court-martialled.
When we entered the cafeteria it was as if I was hit with a freight train of smell. It was so powerful I think I might have actually recoiled. The sight around me made my mouth water, there was food stalls all around the room, and each had a delicious goody in it. Some had fruits and vegetables while others had cooked food.
“Jane, what’s wrong?” I was startled out of my daze by Dark.
I whipped a small bit of drool from the side of my mouth and looked at him. “Huh, oh I’m fine, also just call me Shepard.” I said with a smile.

As I looked around I saw a mailbox by the door, huh, handy. I walked over and put in my letters, there was a small florescent yellow sign above the box which read.

”WARNING
DO NOT PLACE HOOVES INTO BOX.”

Well guess what the first thing I wanted to do was? Although I wanted to put a hand in I didn’t want to see the repercussion of my curiosity.
I put in my letters and walked off to the stalls, okay let’s see. Pasta, Macaroni and cheese, Salad, Sandwich-.
”WAIT, GO BACK!”
Gah, how the hell can you be so loud? I think I can hear a ringing.
”Shut up Shepard, just go back a few stalls.”
I walked backwards a few steps looking at the stalls.
”STOP!”
I was currently standing in front of the Macaroni and cheese stall. You want this?
”Just get it before I annoy you until you go insane.”
Doesn’t you being in my head already mean I’m insane?

Silence

I let out a sigh and walked up to the stall. The smell of cheese was now all I smelt, never really liked cheese. I grabbed a small bowl of the steaming meal and walked over to an empty table and sat down.
” Now eat it.”
Since when has my mind controlled me?
”I wouldn’t be surprised if that were true but sadly that’s not the case, your brain controls you and your mind controls your brain.”
I don’t think it works like that.
”But I know you don’t know that.”
Ughhhh, you’re too confusing, I’ll eat your food if you give me some answers.
”*sigh* Fine, what do you want to know.”

=========================================================================

Twilight

=========================================================================

Sitting in the locked up library is an odd experience to say the least. We were all (except Rainbow Dash) in the library, sitting in a circle.
"Alright girls, you all probably all already know why I called you here?" I said looking at my friends.
"I presume this is about Shepard?" Rarity said with a smile.
"Yes it is, there's something wrong, but I can't tell what." I said rubbing my chin.
"Shep seems like a good pony to me." Pinkie said with her massive smile, I'll never know how that's possible.
"Oh yes Twilight, she seemed nice." Fluttershy whispered.
"Well ah hav'ta agree with Twi, that mare seems to be hiding somethin." We'll at least Applejack agrees with me.
"Dash did say she's been through a lot, remember Dash told us, not Shepard, she might think we don't know." Rarity pointed out.
“But I feel like that’s not the only thing she’s hiding. Did you see the way she tried to avoid talking about her armour.” I said rubbing the bottom of my chin.
“Um Twilight, she did say she wasn’t from around here, maybe where she’s from has that sort of stuff.” Fluttershy said.
“But that’s the thing, there’s nothing up north, it’s just a large ocean.”
“Huh, then she’s definitely hiding something then.” Rarity said.
“That’s not all, with the way she talked about this ‘N7’ thing, it seems that it was currently in battle with something and I don’t know anywhere where ponies are fighting each other.”
“Why not ask the princess? She’ll know something about this.” Applejack said.
“I’ll bring it up with her when I know more. I don’t want to jump to conclusions.”
“She might be an alien from outer-space and his here to control our minds!” Pinkie yelled pulling out a tin foil hat from inside a book, how did that get there?
“I don’t think she’s an alien Pinkie, she’s a pony.” Rarity said trying to calm her down.
“Or maybe she’s a zombie here to eat our braaaaains!” Pinkie yelled leaning over us with her fore-hooves stretched out.
“That’s ever sillier Pinkie.” Applejack said.
“Or maybe she’s a zombie alien!”
“Calm down Pinkie, your scaring Fluttershy.” We all looked over to Fluttershy who was curled up in a ball trying to hide.
“Sorry, Fluttershy, I didn’t mean to scare you.” Pinkie’s mane seemed to deflate and head hung low.

We all sat there in an awkward silence.

KNOCK KNOCK NNOCK

Pinkie’s mane inflated itself back to its poufy state and a wide smile appeared on her face. “I’ll get it.” She said as she bounced over to the door.
“Who do you think it is?” Fluttershy said uncurling herself from her ball.
“I’m not expecting anypony at the moment.” I said looking towards the door to see it closed and Pinkie bouncing back.
“MmmMmm Mmmmmm.” She said through a mouth full of letters.
“What now?” Applejack said raising an eyebrow.
Pinkie dropped the letters in front of me. “Dah, I said it was Derpy with some letters for Twilight and Dash.”
“Why is Dash’s mail coming here?” I asked.
“How would I know?” she said with a shrug and sat back down.
We sat there for a few moments looking at the envelopes in front of me. “Well, aren’t you going to open it?
I levitated the letter up that had why named on it in really bad writing, guess it might be a foal? But why would a foal send me a letter?
“Whoever sent this has very bad mouth writing.” I said tearing open the top and pulling out the note.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle

I would like it if you could give the other letter to Dash, I don't know her address.

From Shepard"

“It’s from Shepard, she doesn’t know Dash’s address so she asked me to give her this other letter.” I said lifting up the other letter.

“Well, are you going to open it? Pinkie said bouncing up and down.

“We can’t pry into her mail, it’s un-ladylike.” Rarity said putting a hoof to her chest and sticking her muzzle up in the air. “Go on open it.” She added.

“But what if Dash finds out that we opened it though?” I said looking at the closed letter.

“We can put it in a new envelope once we’re done, no harm done.” Pinkie said with a shrug.

“Fine, but make sure Dash never finds out, we don’t want to lose her trust.” I said opening the second letter.

“Okay let’s see.
She says she lied about being in the guard, that of which I expected. She joined the night guard, she won a small jousting match, she also talked about how ‘soft’ her drill instructor is compared to her old one. She also listed her titles with her name, Huh, her first name isn’t Shepard, its Jane, also have any of you girls heard of something called ‘The Skillein blitz’?” I said looking at all the others.

They all shook their heads.

“Oh well, I guess we have to seal this back up and give it to Dash.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait, I got caught up with the horrible addiction of video games.
On a brighter not, I will hopefully be writing more.
Also check out my other story.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/118916/fallout-equestria-tainted-soul

Enjoy