• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 27,965 Views, 1,513 Comments

Family - FleetlordAvatar



Applejack finds a starving colt hiding in her barn, one that knows a lot more about her and her friends than he should.

  • ...
80
 1,513
 27,965

Interlude: Twilight

After Applebloom had left, Spike resumed what he was doing before her arrival.

In her haste to answer Princess Celestia’s letter Twilight had managed to empty an entire bookcase onto the floor in search of the relevant texts and had asked him to tidy up. Having replaced all the books he was currently perched precariously on the top of a ladder as he ran a pink duster along the uppermost shelves, humming a small tune as he worked.

It was at this point that fate decided the door would burst open with a loud bang.

Startled, the dragon lost his footing and careened into the bookcase which, sadly, caused all the books to come crashing down on top of him.

Head spinning from the sudden literary onslaught, several of which had page numbers going into the tens of thousands, the young dragon heard a voice calling.

‘’Spike? Spiiiike!’’

Silhouetted in the doorway was a purple unicorn with a dark purple mane and tail. On her flank was emblazoned a six pointed star, showing her talent in magic.

This was Twilight Sparkle, personal student to princess Celestia herself and bearer of the Element of Magic.

She was also Spike’s adoptive sister.

Looking around Twilight saw a pair of scaly legs sticking up from under a veritable mountain of literature.

‘’There you are Spike.’’ she said ‘’Didn’t I ask you to clean this up?’’

‘’Well it’s hard to clean when your entrance would make Rainbow Dash proud’’ Spike deadpanned.

‘’Uh...oops.’’ Twilight blushed.

Flailing his limbs in an effort to get up, Spike instead found himself enveloped in a purple aura as Twilight pulled him free with her magic. Setting him down on the floor Spike turned and surveyed the damage.

The bookcase itself was fine, solid oak furniture being what it was, but all the books had spilled out and were now carpeting a large section of library floor. He could see a few of them had been bent open backwards by the fall and several others had their pages folded inwards.

‘’Ugh! This took hours the first time.’’ He groaned in frustration.

Feeling guilty that she had accidentally destroyed his hard work, Twilight trotted up and focused her magic on the mess. Books twitched and fluttered before they flew off the floor and around the room, unbending and unfolding before sliding smoothly back into place. In a few seconds it didn’t even look like there had been an accident to begin with. The duster had even finished its task with a flourish.

‘’Why can’t we do that every time the cleaning needs done?’’ asked Spike.

‘’Because then you would expect me to do all your chores for you.’’

''Would that be so bad?''

Twilight frowned.

‘’I know, I know, if I don’t do them myself then I won’t learn anything about being responsible.’’

He sighed. ‘’So, how was your trip? Did you find whatever Princess Celestia wanted?’’

Twilight's eyes lit up and she began rummaging in her bulging saddlebags.

‘’You may not believe it Spike, but I found something unusual.’’

‘’You found something unusual... in the Everfree Forest?’ he replied sceptically.

Twilight paused.

‘’Well, unusual by the forest’s standards anyway’’ she clarified before resuming her search.

‘’Well whatever it is, it’s got you excited. So what have you found? It’s not some new type of creature is it?’’ he asked with a degree of trepidation, ‘’because I don’t want some kind of mutant manticore, zombie, hydra hybrid running about here.’’

‘’Don’t worry Spike.’’ Twilight chuckled. ‘’It’s nothing dangerous, at least I don’t think it’s dangerous.’’

‘’That’s comforting; so what is it exactly?’’

Twilight rummaged for a few more minutes before levitating a small bundle out of her saddlebag and floating it over to Spike.

‘’Take a look at this.’’

Spike unwrapped the object.

It was a metal circle with some lines in the centre creating an odd symbol. It was made of some kind of silver metal and it was scuffed and scratched in a few places.

‘’Is this a medal?’’ he asked, turning it over in his hands.

‘’I don’t know Spike, that symbol isn’t like anything I’ve ever seen before, but that wasn’t all I found. There was a trail of debris that led me to this.’’

Twilight pulled out her notepad and quill and flipped the pages with her magic. Locating the relevant page, she showed Spike a sketch of her find.

Twilight was by no means an accomplished artist, but when you do enough field work you learn to draw anything with a degree of accuracy.

The picture showed what Spike at first assumed was a carriage; it was the same shape, had four wheels, seats, and the back end was open to reveal luggage space. But as he examined the picture closely he realised he couldn’t see a seat for the driver or even areas to hitch the ponies that would pull it.

The strange vehicle had collided with the trunk of a large tree and the impact had caused the front end to crumple inwards. Debris was littering the space around the vehicle and Twilight made a few notes about each one on the edges of the drawing.

‘’What is it?’’ asked Spike.

‘’I don’t know Spike, but there was an identical symbol on the back of it and there were some really strange items inside it.’’

Opening her bags again, Twilight used her magic to levitate out several objects.

One looked like a black box with a window, but the glass had been cracked, presumably by the crash. The next were two small bottles with strange writing and images of plants on the labels. There were a few smaller items, including a pile of coins and a book with some strange creature on the cover.

As Spike looked over the small collection of artefacts, Twilight pulled out the last item she had been able to fit in her saddlebags.

It was a box, made of a light wood and big enough to fit in the palm of his hand. A latch, held in place by a small padlock, kept it shut and the lid had several symbols carved in it along with what looked like some writing.

‘’What do you think they are Twilight?’’ he asked, more in confusion than curiosity.

‘’I don’t know Spike. I’ve never seen anything like them before, but that writing doesn’t look like anything from Equestria and that’s not even the strangest thing about them.’’

Twilight’s horn glowed as she cast a spell over the objects; each began to glow softly in a spectrum of colours.

‘’They’re all saturated with a magic that I can’t completely identify. It’s got traces of a teleportation spell, but it’s far more chaotic.’’

‘’So you're saying that this.... was teleported from somewhere?’’ replied Spike.

‘’It looks that way’’ answered Twilight. ‘’Whatever this is it’s definitely not from Equestria, which means we need to do some research.’’

Before Twilight could continue there was a knock at the door.

Using her magic to open it, Twilight revealed Applejack.

‘’Howdy there Twilight, Spike.’’

‘’Hi Applejack, what brings you here?’’ asked Spike.

‘’Can ah come in? Ah need your help with something.’’

‘’Sure, Spike could you get us some tea please?’’

‘’Coming right up.’’

As Spike made for the kitchen, Twilight pulled up a few pillows for herself and Applejack.

‘’Ya’ll should really clean up after your study sessions, Twilight’’ said Applejack.

Twilight followed her gaze to her finds.

‘’Sorry about that’’ she said, using her magic to carefully put them to one side. ‘’It’s something Princess Celestia had got me looking into.’’

With some space cleared for the pillows, the two mares sat down.

‘’So how can I help you?’’

As Spike returned with their tea Applejack told Twilight about Reiver; how she had found him hiding in the barn and how he had reacted. She even told Twilight about his apparent fear of doctors.

‘’Sounds like this guy’s had it rough’’ said Spike.

‘’Ya should see him Spike, he’s all skin and bones right now.’’ She sighed. ‘’And ah hate to think how long he’s been out there, especially with the weather we’ve had.’’

Twilight hummed in agreement.

‘’If it’s not too much ta ask, can ya’ll check the town notices and see if anyone reported a missing colt? Ah would do it myself but the harvest needs collecting and Big Mac can’t do it all by himself.’’

Twilight smiled inwardly as she remembered Applejack attempting to do just that.

‘’Don’t worry Applejack’’ she said. ‘’First thing tomorrow I’ll check the town notices and see if Reiver was reported missing. A colt his age will have somepony looking for him.’’

Applejack smiled.

‘’Thanks Twilight, Ah appreciate this.’’

Finishing her tea Applejack stood up.

‘’Well, I’ve got ta get back home and help with the clean up; that colt can certainly create a mess. See ya’ll later.’’

With a wave, she stepped out the door and trotted back towards Sweet Apple Acres.

‘’So what do you want to do Twilight?’’ asked Spike as he helped clear up.

‘’It’s too late to go check the town notices right now’’ said Twilight, checking the clock on the wall, ‘’but I’ll head over first thing tomorrow.’’

Levitating her finds onto the table, she picked up the strange medal.

‘’In the meantime, let’s see what we can find about this.’’

Author's Note:

This took far too long to finish, thank my shift timetable for that.

Anyway, comments and constructive criticism is appreciated.