• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 27,923 Views, 1,513 Comments

Family - FleetlordAvatar



Applejack finds a starving colt hiding in her barn, one that knows a lot more about her and her friends than he should.

  • ...
80
 1,513
 27,923

Revelation

Author's Note:

Also known as the really long exposition chapter. I went over this multiple times, wrote and re-wrote sections until we have what you see before you. I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out but I feel like I may be repeating myself on some points.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it. Next chapter, we are back with Reivers Father, and Redheart talks with the Apple Family.

Twilight nervously paced back and forth in front of Golden Oaks.

"Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, how could I have been so careless?" she muttered to herself. "Well maybe if I hadn't found a colt that's really an alien from another dimension, then I wouldn't have neglected those weather studies until I nearly let the town get destroyed by wild magic!"

She took a few deep breaths, moaning about it would not help now, she was just thankful that she re-discovered the letter that sent her into the Everfree forest in the first place.

After a slight panic attack, one that Spike had to slap her out of, she rushed into action, checking neglected instruments and analysing data at a record pace. It was after several days of this, that she had finally reached a conclusion, the magic was building to catastrophic levels, a Storm of Magic was brewing.

Thankfully, there was still time to act and, after a letter to both Canterlot and a request to Mayor Mare, a town meeting was arranged. In addition, Princess Celestia was sending specialist equipment and ponies to help prepare the town.

"Twilight, please stop moving," said Spike, emerging from the library. "I've been watching you pace for the last twenty minutes."

Pausing to take some more deep breaths, she sat by the dragons side.

"Better?" he asked.

"Better, "she replied. "Thank you for your support Spike, I didn't mean to forget this."

"Yeah, that's not like you at all," he said. "That stuff from the forest must be really interesting."

"You have no idea," she muttered.

The clip clop of hooves caught their attention and they looked up to see an elderly mare with a grey mane and spectacles approaching, she had a rolled scroll as her cutie mark, denoting her as Mayor Ivory Scrolls, although the townsponies affectionately called her Mayor Mare.

"Twilight Sparkle, it's so nice to see you again," she said. "Although I wish it was under better circumstances."

"So do I," replied Twilight.

"Honestly, it seems the only time I ever speak to you is during some catastrophe or other. We really should just have tea someday, maybe go for a nice dinner."

Twilight smiled as she bumped hooves with the Mayor. Ivory Scrolls wasn't the typical stuffy politician, like those from Canterlot, she was a local pony through and through. Perhaps it was that familiarity which endeared her to the townsponies.

"So, a Storm of Magic?" she asked, seriously.

"I'm afraid so," replied the unicorn. "A big one, if the data is correct."

Ivory Scrolls sighed.

"I was only a young pony when the last one blew through, I just hope the town can cope."

"Don't worry," interjected Spike. "Twilight will help keep the town safe, she can do anything when she gets going."

“Indeed, master dragon,” she replied. “She is a most capable pony, the town is lucky to have her.”

The unicorn blushed a little at the praise, before a trumpet call blared from above.

Following the sound, the two ponies and one dragon saw a several large carriages and a chariot soaring towards them. The carriages were the typical white and gold of Celestia's Day Guard, but the chariot was midnight blue and pulled by a pair of bat winged thestrals. Princess Luna herself stood aboard, her ethereal mane pillowing in an unseen wind.

As the three vehicles touched down, the carriages disgorged a crowd of unicorns, who immediately set to work unloading crates. Meanwhile, Princess Luna disembarked and approached the group of three, who bowed respectively.

"Greetings Twilight Sparkle, it is good to see you once again."

"It's good to see you too, Luna," replied Twilight. "You remember Spike,” the dragon gave a friendly wave, “and this is Mayor Ivory Scrolls."

"It is a pleasure," said Luna, with a smile. "Our sister bid that we help you with this Storm of Magic, we have brought many magical artefacts and some of the best unicorns from Canterlot to assist us."

"And your arrival couldn't be better timed," replied Ivory Scrolls. "The town meeting is scheduled to happen this evening, that gives us enough time to get a plan together."

"In that case," said Twilight. "Let's get to work."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Later that night

Ponyville’s town hall was quickly filling up with concerned residents, each muttering nervously about the Storm of Magic and it’s possible consequences. This included Reiver and the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were sitting under a table away from the crowd of adult ponies.

"So, ya'll reckon that you got here because of a Storm of Magic? I thought magic wasn't a thing on your world?" asked Apple Bloom.

"It isn't, but what Granny Smith said about a rainbow tornado made me think about the rainbow tunnel that brought me here in the first place. What if they’re connected?"

"Well, if anything can happen during a storm, then it makes sense that maybe portals to other worlds can open as well," said Sweetie Belle.

"Which means, maybe we can send you home through another one?" enquired Scootaloo.

Reiver shook his head.

"Granny said it herself, that thing is dangerous and unpredictable, I’m not throwing myself into a magical maelstrom and hoping for the best,” he replied. “But, it gives us something to look for, it might even be a break for us."

“And what am I, chopped liver?" said Bedlam as he materialised beside them, causing the group to jump back in shock.

The strange entity had not appeared as a drawing on the wall, as he typically did, instead he was sitting between Reiver and Apple Bloom as a transparent, flickering, shade of a pony that could very well have been Reivers twin.

He laughed at their slack jawed expressions.

"Oh the looks on your faces, you four really do a remarkable impression of guppies at feeding time," chuckled the shadow pony. "But really, out with it, I know you are just dying to ask."

"...eh...um..." stammered Reiver. "What...you..."

"Yes, I have a body now, well, kind of," replied Bedlam. "It took a lot of work actually, but I've been getting quite strong. Like I'm a battery being charged up, it's awesome!"

He punctuated this statement by shifting his form though several colour spectrums.

"So... what are we all doing here then?"

"Um...we were waiting for the town meeting to start," stammered Sweetie Belle. "There's a Storm of Magic coming."

“So I heard,” he replied. “You know, just because I’m not here doesn’t mean I don’t listen in from time to time.”

He looked at them disapprovingly.

“But I am disappointed that no pony has managed to find out just what I am yet.”

“We hadn’t forgotten about you,” replied Sweetie Belle. “We just, had to step back for a bit, then this happened.”

Bedlam sighed.

“No argument from me, goodness knows I’ve tried looking myself and come up with nothing.”

Apple Bloom tentatively went to lay a hoof on his shoulder, discovering that his shadow body was solid.

“That just means we have to try harder, or look at something else," she said. "It’s what we do when we’re Crusading.”

“Yeah!” continued Sweetie Belle. “No matter the odds, the Cutie Mark Crusaders will help you both!”

The three fillies punctuated the statement with a cheer that had both Reiver and Bedlam smirking.

"Could everypony take their seats please!"

Peeking out from under the table, the group saw Mayor Mare standing behind a podium on the large stage that occuipied the end of the hall. Twilight Sparkle stood to her left, with Princess Luna to her right.

Revier gawped a little at the sight of the lunar princess, he had not expected to see one of the two alicorns in person. She radiated poise and power, the stars in her mane shimmering like raindrops in moonlight.

“Close that mouth buddy, or you’ll start catching flies,” smirked Scootaloo. Reiver snapped his muzzle shut, blushing a little. As the fillies went to their respective families, he looked around for Bedlam, but the strange creature had vanished.

"Just staying in your head for now, can't have two of you wandering around, can we mate. Especially with moon butt over there."

Rolling his eyes, Reiver went to where the Apples were sitting and took a vacant chair next to Apple Bloom.

Once all were seated, Ivory Scrolls started speaking.

"Thank you all for coming on short notice," she said, projecting her voice throughout the chamber. "As you are aware, a Storm of Magic is imminent and we must prepare the town. To that effect, we have had additional supplies and expert ponies from Canterlot to assist us. Princess Luna has also graciously agreed to aid us in this hour of need."

A screen unrolled behind her as the lights dimmed. A diagram was then projected on it, showing magic being drawn from the environment to a point that grew and grew until it took shape as more power was drawn to it. Planets and star constellations were depicted over each stage, moving closer together until they were aligned over a violent malestrom.

“For those who may not be familiar with them,” said Twilight, taking over from Luna. “A Storm of Magic is what occurs when an area of wild, or untamed magic, such as the Everfree forest, experiences a build up of power.”

The image changed to show an image from the forest in question.

“Magic permeates everything in Equestria, it ebbs and flows like water. In places like the Everfree forest, this flow can be dangerous, but as long as it is not interrupted, all is well. As the planets and stars can affect this flow, certain stellar events draw magic to places like the Everfree, where, unless dispersed, it will build to dangerous levels. Swirling upon itself until you have an unstoppable magical tornado that will destroy everything in its path until the magic has faded.”

More nervous mutterings from the crowd, as Luna stepped forward to speak once again.

"Citizens of Ponyville, the situation may seem dire, but do not fret, for we have time to prepare ourselves. My own power can disrupt the heavens, forcing the magic to disperse and weakening the storms power. Furthermore, we have come with several Waystones, these shall draw the storms power away from thy town, earthing it where it can do no harm.”

At this point, a Unicorn came forward, using his magic to haul a large object under a tarpaulin. Placing it down, he pulled off the cover revealing an intricately carved stone that glowed with magical power.

Luna stood aside as Twilight Sparkle once more took to the stage.

“Waystones are like magical lighting rods, drawing wild magic away from its source. However, they cost a lot of power and energy to produce, so there isn't enough to cover the whole town. I recommend we use them around important buildings and locations, like the hospital and school."

A few groans were heard from the Ponyville foals.

"Furthermore, the Canterlot ponies that have come to help are all experts in weather, magic, or both. However, our own weather team have more experience with wild weather than most in Equestria, so they will be working together to disperse as much of the storms weatherfront as they can. Rainbow Dash’s team have kept Everfree weather from us before and their experience and skills are invaluable.”

"Don't worry Twilight, we got this," came Rainbow Dash's voice, causing a few cheers from the weather team.

Twilight smiled a little before passing back to Mayor Mare.

"We will be taking volunteers to help with preparations before the storm hits, Twilight will be coordinating efforts with both myself and Princess Luna as we look to reinforce vulnerable buildings and evacuate those who wish to leave. If you want to help come to see one of us, all ideas are welcome. Ponyville is a tough town, we survived Ursa Minors, Discord and rampant spells. We are used to adversity and this is no different, working together we will survive this!"

She smacked her gavel on the podium.

"Meeting Adjourned."

As the ponies filed out, Reiver and Apple Bloom met up with the rest of the CMC.

"Let's get to the library, it should be quiet and we can look at the books undisturbed."

Quickly excusing themselves they headed straight to Golden Oaks, where they saw Spike by the door.

"Oh hey guys," said the dragon. "What are you doing here?"

"We...were looking for something to help with a school project," said Scootaloo, improvising. "Is the library open?"

"It will be, just need to find the right key," he replied and they saw he had a keychain in one claw. Finding the right one, Spike unlocked the door and they quickly headed inside, the dragon lighting a few lanterns with his flame breath.

Heading into the stacks, the four young ponies started searching for anything on Storm of Magic and soon a pile of books was laid out before them.

"Find anything yet?" asked Bedlam, his sudden appearance causing them all to jump.

"Would you please stop doing that!" snapped Apple Bloom.

"I would, if it wasn't so funny," chuckled the shadow pony.

The group sighed in exasperation.

"This might help," said Sweetie Belle, laying down a book. "It says here that wormholes always connect to two different locations, but that most are unstable unless controlled by a unicorn of great skill and power, maybe we could have Twilight keep one open for you?"

"We could, but we have no idea where they actually lead, it could put me in my world, this world or some other world for all we know," replied Reiver.

"I'd rather not end up in another universe entirely," said Bedlam.

"Maybe we could make one of our own?" ventured Scootaloo. "Twilight would definitely be up for that."

"Thats a possibility..." said Bedlam. "I'd run the idea by her when this Storm of Magic is over."

"Agreed," replied Reiver, although he found himself a bit reluctant to do so. He had been wrestling with the idea of leaving ever since Pinkie's Party. He liked his home and knew that there was still some family waiting back on earth. Returning might even put him back in an adult body.

But he found himself opposed to the idea. What family he had, he did not interact with, his anti-social behaviour, coupled with his mother's death meant he had practically withdrawn from society as a whole. In fact, he felt more connected with the Cutie Mark Crusaders than anyone else in his whole life, he missed not having them around and enjoyed their company immensely. The colts body was also something that had been growing on him, he might not be able to do anything an adult pony might do, he was also dreading puberty for a second time, but he found himself not caring. He was having more fun with the Ponyville foals that he had at any time in his life.

His train of thought was interrupted when Apple Bloom let out a cry of surprise.

"Hey guys, look at this."

The group looked over at the approaching farm filly, in her teeth was a book. It's cover was a dark brown that was old and frayed at the edges and as she set it down, they saw it had no title or any writing at all to denote it's topic or author.

"Where did you find this?" asked Bedlam.

"I was looking through the magical creatures section, when I found some kinda hidden compartment in one of the shelves."

"Seriously?" asked Scootaloo.

"Yeah, but that's not all," the farm filly replied, opening the book. "Look what's inside."

Looking at the page, they saw it depicted a large, swirling tornado of magic. Wormholes were pictured around it, while bolts of power were crackling and sparking in a chaos of power. But what caught their attention was the creature wrapped around it, laughing with glee.

It was Discord.

"What the hay?" muttered Reiver, as Sweetie Belle started reading.

"The first and only one of his kind, the draconequus known as Discord was originally a unicorn known as Quantum Continuum, or ‘Q’ to his friends."

While the others gasped at the revelation, Reiver and Beldam released a snorted laugh, earning a few puzzled looks.

"Sorry, just thinking of something funny."

“So, Discord was a unicorn?” exclaimed Apple Bloom.

“Looks like it,” said Scootaloo. “What else does it say?”

Returning their attention to the book, the unicorn resumed reading.

"Q felt that the power of a Storm of Magic could be harnessed for the greater good, believing that it would lead to a new understanding of magic and the universe as we know it. During a particularly fierce storm, he attempted to absorb its power."

An image underneath showed a grey unicorn with a brown mane firing magic from his horn, into the swirling maelstrom of magic.

"However, his spell unravelled in the face of so much raw power and he was exposed to a large amount of unstable magic. In the weeks that followed, he claimed that a strange creature was following him around, appearing as an image on walls, text in a book, or a shadowy reflection of himself."

The group looked at Bedlam, who felt a growing pit in his ethereal stomach.

Turning the page, Sweetie Belle read on.

"He described this creature as a sarcastic troublemaker, it would appear suddenly and without warning, whisper in his mind and after a while it could even use magic to play pranks on ponies. He tried to get rid of it with spells, charms to suppress his magic and even therapy, as he believed he was simply going mad.”

The image below showed Q, followed by a shapeless creature, hiding in the darkness, using it’s magic to change two ponies to candied statues while he looked on in horror.

“One day his magic started sparking uncontrollably as he experienced a build up never seen before in a unicorn. He screamed and writhed as the power he had once tried to control consumed him, his body twisting and changing, his mind warping into madness."

They turned the last page, revealing an ominous image of Discord laughing maniacally as Q lay beneath him as a grey, faded shell, his hollow eyes tinged yellow with red pupils.

“Q was no more, left in his place was the creature in its true, chaotic form. Discord was born.”

The silence was deafening.

"So...I'm...a draconequus?" asked Bedlam, tentatively. "And I'm...going to..."

"No, let's not go there," snapped Reiver.

"But it says so in the book!" replied Bedlam. "Q was consumed by Discord and now I'm going to do the same to you."

"We don't know that for sure!" replied Apple Bloom.

"But it's written right there!" he replied. "Sweetie Belle just read it out for everypony!"

"That means nothing!" replied Reiver. "No pony knows anything about Discord, except maybe the Princesses, but I don't see them writing a book about him. There's no way this could be real!"

"I'm afraid my little pony, that this book is very real."

They froze at the voice, the haughty, arrogant voice that spoke from the pages of the text. Slowly looking down, they saw the image of Discord looking at them disapprovingly. Then a claw, followed by a lions paw emerged from the paper, followed by a pair of mismatched horns and a long, serpentine body as the spirit of chaos pulled himself from the pages. Floating over the group, his attention was focused squarely on Reiver and Bedlam.

"It's so nice to finally meet you both, you know who I am of course," said Discord. "But what you might not know, is just how much trouble you two are in."