• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 7,844 Views, 611 Comments

School Days - Dai Kirai



The portal between Earth and Equestria has been open for 5 years and cultural exchanges have started taking place in earnest. One of these exchanges is sending ponies to human institutions for higher learning.

  • ...
23
 611
 7,844

Advising

With the general catalogue under his right wing and everything else under his left, the pony soon arrived back at Rieber Terrace; for some reason it seemed to be the central hub for everything he did so far. Everyone else had different locations for their departmental advising. From what the pony heard at lunch he expected this to be similar to the session after breakfast, but he didn’t have a department so what would this one cover?

Stormy went back up to the ninth floor lounge and stood in shock when he opened the door. He knew how this one would be different. All the chairs had been removed in lieu of sitting pillows of varying colors. Several of the soft looking seats had already been taken up by conversing ponies. Outside of the human who sat behind the table, the room was only ponies.

The Onyx pony he saw when picking up his first room key was talking to a pewter colored stallion, a red cross adorning his flank. The dirt brown stallion walked in behind Stormy and joined the pair. At a set of pillows were the white pegasus mare from the previous day still as serene and talking to another pegasus that almost caused Stormy’s jaw to drop.

Sitting there was another pegasus, but anything like the stallion had ever seen. Atop her orange coated body sat a mane of brown, but when hit by the sun it turned almost golden. Her red eyes met his amber ones. She looked like a midsummer’s sunset over Canterlot. He stood there in a stupor until the white pearly white pegasus waved him over.

Stormy took a light orange pillow across from the two mares, a few other ponies still trickling in. A royal blue unicorn with a cyclone cutie mark joined the two mares.

The white coated pegasus spoke up first. “Nice to meet you. I’m Sunny Skies.” She reached out a hoof to shake both Stormy’s and the unicorn’s. She didn’t get much farther before the human at the front spoke up.

Stormy took the time to look about the room and the eight other ponies sitting in the room. A unicorn sat next to the pewter pony, along with a sienna maned earth pony.

The human stood, grabbing a stack of puce papers to pass out among the ponies. “My name is Chris Barnes in charge of Equestrian Retention and Outreach.” She made a show of professionalism. Brown hair in a bun, black suit similar to Edward’s except for the skirt, controlled expression. “Despite having majors already, you are here because the requirements for ponies are different than that of regular students and to give specific advice to help you adapt to this school.”

Without allowing any questions, Chris continued. “The classes required for anyone from beyond the portal are different than that for those born here.” She passed out a paper to the last pony in the room, the zebra. On it was a list of classes. “Normally students only need to complete two courses of history and what they cover can vary. But you must complete a minimum of three courses on history with at least one being a US history and one being a World History Course. Along with that you must take at least one additional philosophy course. This is so you can better understand humans and because you haven’t had the same basic instruction in these fields as others at this school who covered it throughout twelve years of education.”

“We do not currently have a special history course to bring ponies up to speed and highly suggest you get tutoring if you have any troubles. It is also suggested you not take a history class until your second year due to the stress of adjusting to life on Earth.”

Sunny raised her hoof. “But wouldn’t a grasp of history help us to better understand this world?” Her question was met by nodding from other ponies around the room.

“No.” Chris replied brusquely. “We have found it harder after Equestrians study about human’s past mistakes before understanding people they have twice the risk of dropping out.”

The onyx pony raised her hoof next. “Is this enforced?”

“Yes and no. You must eventually take these classes but when is ultimately your decision. You will also have to take one additional English course for similar reasons, to take whenever you choose.”

“It is also suggested the science you take be related to whatever you studied back in Equestria. If you studied weather you should do the same here. If you studied magic than you should do chemistry.”

“Why?” The onyx mare spoke up. “Because they are easier since we’ve already done them once before?” There was obvious anger in her voice.

“No. Because it can help you understand the differences between our worlds. They aren’t the same and if you jump into something completely foreign it will be a LOT more difficult. These tips are designed to help you succeed.”

Why is that mare so argumentative? Stormy wondered, it was almost adversarial in appearance. Has she been having the same issues with people assuming what she should do as I have?

This answer didn’t seem to appease the unicorn. But it mollified her enough for Chris to continue speaking. “There are also special tutoring programs you can use for most classes. I suggest you use it even if you are doing good. It can be the difference between a B and an A.” She took one last look around at the ponies.

“There are also special regulations as to what you can and cannot do on campus that is different than that of humans.” The onyx mare tried to cut the human off, disdain obvious; however, the human ignored her and kept talking. “Magic needs to be strictly controlled. Any magic use that violates basic rules here at UCLA will be grounds for expulsion. In addition, any use of magic on a test may be considered cheating by your professors and will be treated as such. If you feel the need to use magic for writing, you can go to the OSD for proctoring.”

“Magic isn’t a disability!” The mare practically shouted.

Sunny spoke up quickly behind her. “What I think she means to say is: Why must we go to the Office for Students with Disabilities.” She offered. “I am sure she meant no offense.”

“It is quite alright Miss Skies. The reason is that is the ONLY place on campus with the needed resources to proctor a test, as it is they have to pull a pony from Ashe to monitor you.”

“From the medical center? Are things that much off kilter?” Stormy didn’t catch the voice or where it came from.

“Yes. There are only so many ponies on staff. Almost all are doctors here to care for other Equestrian’s health.” Mrs. Barnes stayed calm and rooted to her spot.

“Pegasi, flying is to be restricted to the field or stadium; there is not enough room for proper takeoff or landing procedures without endangering other students. Be warned there may be other objects flying through the air like balls and Frisbees.”

“You are not allowed to make potions outside of a proper facility with a hood in case of ‘side effects’, and any tampering with UCLA grounds or injuring of students is subject to immediate dismissal. Last year a student was kicked in the sternum by a surprised earth pony. We cannot have that happen again. This is still a pilot program without any guarantees you won’t be the last.”

“Now I suggest you take some time to get to know each other. You are the only new students from Equestria this year.”

Sunny’s smile never seemed to leave her. “I’m Sunny Skies. I work in Canterlot Castle as an aide to Princess Celestia. Guess I should say I worked there.” Followed by a giggle. “I came to study folklore.”

“Why?” Asked the royal blue unicorn.

“Before the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration, did you ever wonder where the old mare’s tale about NightMare Moon came from? What about the Saddle Arabian Nights? There is so much in there and it can progress relations. What impact does religion have? What does their literature say about them as a species? So many of their books cover things we would never think of.”

Stormy thought about the book in his room and how much of an understatement Sunny had made.

“Does that include history?” Another question from the unicorn.

“No, Celestia has other ponies covering history at different places.”

Stormy felt his mouth drop, thinking he saw a pattern. “Are you here by decree?”

Another giggle. “No. Some were given suggestions, but I did have to request a leave. My family has been serving as Celestia’s aides for generations. Dawn, would you like to go next? What you plan to study, what you did and why you came here?”

“Ok.” Her voice was the essence of melodic to Stormy. Her cutie mark a sunrise as radiant as her mane. “I’m Radiant Dawn. I came to study weather. I lived my whole life in Manehatten but never had the chance to travel.” She was demure, hiding an open mouth smile behind her hoof. “I heard stories from my parents about lending aide after the portal opened. How wild the weather was. How it was a new frontier. There was a hurricane over the Atlantic, it never made the news but it was a trial to see how much pegasi could affect weather here. It just sounded like fun. Weather duties are dull, they never change, but this is my chance for some excitement and to see this world and maybe more of my own later.” Every word was soaked with passion.

Stormy couldn’t help but feel rejuvenated towards weather just by listening to her speak. He decided to speak up next. “Stormy Skies. I helped with the weather over Canterlot.” He couldn’t just leave it at that, and he didn’t just want to give the same story, not to these ponies. “I got tired of weather though. I want to try something new. See a new world, maybe rediscover what I saw in weather.”

“Very admirable. That takes a lot of courage.”

Despite Sunny’s words, and his own thoughts, Stormy realized there was a grain of truth in what he said. He hadn’t been enjoying weather, it was always the same thing day after day. His days had blurred together.

“Balance Sheet.” Although the unicorn seemed excited, there was a sadness in his voice. “So we have three weather ponies here.”

Dawn gasped and jumped to all four hooves. “YOU!” She practically screamed then started to prance. “You’re the manager for the Cloudsdale Weather Factory. The first unicorn to attend weather school. We’ve heard so many stories about you in Manehatten!”

Stormy didn’t recognize the name. Nor that a unicorn had ever, or never for that matter, been in charge of weather before.

“Guess my reputation precedes me.” And while the corners of his mouth raised, his eyes stayed flat. “My reasons are pretty similar. I want to learn, see what I can take back home to get better.”

Stormy looked over at the other group, it was going strong. He then looked over at Sunny and Dawn. Dawn was trying to get a conversation going among the three weather ponies. But there was something about Sunny’s eyes, something the pegasus couldn’t identify.

“Has anyone picked out their classes yet?” And just like that, Sunny was back to how she seemed before, calm and serene, almost a royal grace.

Stormy just listened as everypony else talked, only speaking when asked a direct question. It was hard coming to terms with. Had he ever enjoyed weather? He must have, he had the cutie mark for it. Sunny would talk about life in the castle and working for a princess. Sheet talked about his colt friend and their plan to start a farm. Dawn talked ceaselessly about weather, which didn’t bother Stormy as much. But his life had been bland and boring, just like the rest of his time here, he realized he was passive.

Stormy knew from his schedule that he could meet with an NSA anytime between 1:30 and 5:30 for individual advising. With that thought in mind he bid his fellow ponies goodbye and went back to the eight floor.

The door to room 801 was closed, voices could be heard coming from inside. Two female voices were yelling at each other. The voices were muted, the words jumbled. “…ot o…lease!?” “…. own payme…ack.”

Stormy left, not wanting to interrupt. According to his schedule, individual advising would last until 5:30, and it should be 1:30. He deciding to take a nice shower to get cleaned and go to the “Choosing a Major” workshop in Covel at 2:30.

Compared to the rest of his day, the trip back to his room was peaceful; the corridors were empty outside of one or two people, as was his room. He quickly set his papers on the desk under Roderick’s bed, the one that had to be his desk, made of cheap looking wood it would perform its job.

The bathroom was the same as it had been before, the closer door being the shower and the further the toilet. Stormy twisted and pulled the knob and the door opened easily. Inside though was another matter. He had noticed how nothing was made with ponies in mind from the counters to the high toilets, but the shower, as it was only a shower, highlighted this. There was a small area with a towel rack where human most likely got dressed, brown and white tiles without a drain. The shower was closed in by another glass door, this one frosted. Inside was two foot square at best, it would be small even by human standards. There was no way to expand his wings in there.

Stormy considered a cloud shower but the weather was clear as a summer’s day, if he could even reach an Earth cloud. He could go without a shower, but that would be another two days before he could get to one. Thankfully he didn’t sweat like a human, he doubted he could ever emit that much odor, but somehow that one thought he did.

In resignation, Stormy turned the faucet, a torrent of water shot out, only taking a few seconds to become steaming hot. The pony had no choice but to leave the shower door open and doubled checked that the connecting doorway was shut tight.

The warm water cascaded down his back. It sent a shiver up Stormy’s spine before the heat penetrated his fur and relaxed his muscles. He had trouble getting everything wet with part of his body out the glass door. Hooves and teeth working the water throughout his fur and feathers; working any dirt or grime out. There was a surprisingly large amount of grime for the pony, leaving a sour taste in his mouth. His ears folded down as he washed his head and face, the water reminded him of a good strong thunderstorm, relaxing, refreshing and invigorating.

Stormy didn’t bring a towel, he would normally just fly it off and air dry, it solved two clouds with one buck. He stood there debating how best to dry off and was left with only one solution. The shaking started at the pony’s head and moved down his body, removing a large amount of excess water even from his mane and tail. All in all the pegasus estimated the shower took thirty minutes. As he exited the shower room, Stormy saw the door to the other room shut, missing who went with it.

Stormy stood in the middle of his dorm room, keeping his wing outstretch as far as he could and flapped them to help speed up the drying process, the last thing he wanted was to soak his papers just carrying them to his next meeting. The tingling in his wings had subsided to occasional twinges at the very tips, he wouldn’t try to fly though for a while less he crash face first again. But the inability to fly made his wings itch, made him want to fly all the more. With a sigh of resignation, he trotted out of the room like a regular ground pounder.

***

The area from Rieber to Covel wasn’t as empty as inside Rieber. In fact, it was just as packed as the pony had come to expect although inside Covel very few people were milling about. The people were just happy to hang around in groups outside and talk.

Stormy climbed the circular steps behind the double doors he got stopped at last time, people going up with him. He assumed the number worked the same as in the dorms and followed the others to a room at the back with another large set of metal double doors open. Inside were tables scattered about the outside with the middle taken up by rows of plain blue chairs.

The room was rather empty of people, besides the half dozen that came up with him, not even a third of the seats were taken up. The seats people were taking were also spread apart from each other except for the odd groups of two or three people, friends who came or found here, supporting others or seeking help for themselves.

There was a human male on stage, but Stormy stayed near the back so he couldn’t see any detail of his features outside of the suit and his name was a jumble of consonants.

“Pick a field that you like.” That was his opening statement. “Think of what you enjoy. If you are doing what you love you will never work a day in your life.” He just stood at the front, on a platform large enough to hold a dozen people side by side, with his hands in his pockets. “Some of you may not want that though, not enough money or recognition. If that’s the case then pick what you are good at or have the skills to do. Don’t be a doctor if you can’t do chemistry.”

“Scattered about the room are advisors, they help students for a living. They can help you check out different fields or look at what skills you have. Don’t be afraid to pick something hard, if you work at it enough you can pick up the skills, most of the time. For this, think. It is ultimately your call.”

At that students started to stand, most left complaining about it not being any help. Others milled around and yet others talked to the advisors. Stormy was in the latter group and found an advisor near the door.

She was a rather bland person, as were most people it seemed. “You should be a simple one. Do you prefer predicting weather, studying the effects of weather, or some other aspect of it?”

You can also cover environmental science or something similar.” She continued. “Do you have any skills? We can use those to narrow it down. Or we can go over what you want to do.”

Again. Again it came down to weather. He didn’t know what he wanted. But he did know it was at least a break from weather.
“I don’t know. Can I come back later?” The pony asked.

“Of course! And if we aren’t here, just talk to your NSA, they should be able to help you or direct you to someone else.”

On his way back up to Rieber Terrace 801, Stormy thought about the workshops, both the ones he’d gone to and the ones yet to come. Outside of the mandatory ones, there wasn’t much information useful to him. The class advising was useful, but all of that he could have gotten from Chevonne. The “How to Budget” one wouldn’t be useful. What pony living on their own didn’t know how to plan out a budget? To know exactly how far or what they could do on it? The “Financial Aid” workshop would be just as bad, especially since Ai had already walked him through that list, the list which specified down to minutia who could and couldn’t apply for any given scholarship, and all but a few exempted ponies, and he could put that off for two years if he decided to leave, summer allowed an out.

Or maybe I should just learn it on my own. Maybe my friends can help.

Before realizing he was there, the pony faced the partially opened door of his NSA. Inside were two voices talking, a different one from before, a male and female voice.

“You really think he can do it?”

“Yes, give him some credit. How stupid were you as a freshman?”

“I never said he was stupid. Just very innocent. You know what happens to people like that. You can’t be that naïve.”

“Fine.” There was steel in the voice, the male one. A moment of silence. “I will.”

“You are free to help, so long as you actually help. But you can’t stay in here if he doesn’t want you to. There is a sense of privacy that needs to be maintained.”

“Agreed.”

“Now, do you need any help?”

“No, it is all very simple. Find a class, see if it fits, have it ready to register. I set up a schedule before coming here.”

“Did you just want to wait here until he shows up then?”

“Yes.”

A moment’s pause. “Why are you doing this?”

“That is my business. Which means none of yours.”

The sound of confusion by one was followed by the sound of steel.

Stormy recognized the voices, Chevonne and Edward. What he didn’t know is if they were talking about him. Unfortunately, he couldn’t think of any other ‘he’ than himself. The self-doubt came rushing back in that instant along with his own niggling fears. Very few seemed to have any faith in him. The pegasus took a moment to calm his quivering breathe and rang a hoof against the solid metal door, it rang out hollowly but loud enough to be heard.

“Come in.” Chevonne called.

Stormy metered his steps; he tried to immolate his own normal gait and hoped it worked, he couldn’t keep his wings from drooping but kept his ears up. He would treat this like a test, just a weather test.

Chevonne sat at her desk with her computer open, chair turned to the bed where Edward sat. Her eyes were looking straight at the pony, but she wouldn’t meet his eyes, her legs fidgeted. While the other human grimaced but looked into Stormy’s eyes with his arms resting on crossed legs. Nobody talked.

Stormy forgot why he came and what help he needed, the silence continued.

Edward stood, straightening his clothes. “You are probably here for advisement on classes. I will leave you to it since you most likely want your privacy.”

“NO!” Stormy stepped forward, the response was automatic. But if the two humans had been talking about him, then one would provide better support. He was already alone. He didn’t want to be more so. “I could use another set of eyes.” He tried to smile, it wasn’t coming.

Edward sat back down straightening his back, it reminded the pony of a judge or manager having a ‘talk’ with someone.

“What do you need help with?” Chevonne tried but her voice didn’t reach its earlier tone of cheer.

“I don’t know what to do!” His problems hit the pony like a foal finding a hole in the clouds; his stomach was churning just the same. Despite the words of encouragement from the people here and a certain mare back home. Were those just being nice because they thought I couldn’t handle the truth? Again, he did his best not to let it show. This was no different than back home.

A hand with its five weird fingers fell on the pony’s back, covering both shoulder blades. It was a gentle touch, something that helped to assuage his fears if just a little. It was a sign of support, a physical sign of support and not just some words. Edward removed his hand after they made eye contact, retuning his face to its set neutrality from something kinder.

“What don’t you know? Be specific.”

“What classes to take. What to even study. Everypony…everybody,” Stormy corrected when he saws the human’s quizzical looks of knit eyebrows, one more subtle than the other. “Everybody keeps asking me about weather, assuming I’m a weather pony.”

“But you are one.”

“But I don’t want to be…” He pleaded.

Stormy stopped dead. That can’t be. I’ve always done weather. I have a weather cutie mark. I had decent marks, could eventually be a manager. How could I not want to be? But the words rang true even in his own head, he was tired of it.

“OK, that’s a start.” Edward remained neutral, but there was something else there. “What do you want to do?”

“I don’t know.” The panic started to return.

Chevonne finally spoke up, voice more cheerful, more what Stormy was used to hearing from her. “That’s perfectly fine. You still have a few years to decide. Why don’t you explore something new? Take some classes that interest you.”
That’s a long list! Stormy had gone through that class schedule, there were so many to choose from. How does someone narrow that down?

“Start by picking some GE’s. Later you can pick more fun classes, but get those others out of the way. That should give you some room to explore.” Chevonne offered, moving back to her computer screen and pulling up the list of classes. “What kind of things do you want to know more about? We can start there.”

Stormy looked about the room. He thought about his time on Earth and his time back home. What could he study to help him learn? “I want to study Earth! About people!”

“That is not very specific. Technically all classes involve people somehow.” Edward countered. “Be more specific.”

“What makes people people.” Stormy replied, he could feel himself rising on his hooves, heart rate increases but in a good way. Panic slowly being forgotten, but still at his periphery, ready to crash in at any moment. The pony thought for a minute about Equestria. If he wanted to learn more about home, what would he study? “History!”

His statement was meant by blank stares by both humans who then looked at each other. “Why not something like anthropology or biology? They each cover a science requirement and talk about what humans are.” Chevonne offered. “History is well…” Her sentence trailed off.

Edward picked it back up quickly. “History is violent.”

The matter of fact tone didn’t deter the pony, but he was left with another question. “What is anthropology?” He had heard that word somewhere before.

“It’s the study of people and their culture. Why they do certain things over others, what traditions they follow as well as what is taboo. It covers language and physical traits.” Chevonne offered. Emotions playing over her face, an attempt to change the topic and her own passion mixing.

“Ok. That’s two classes right?”

“You only need one anthro class though for your GE.”

“No. Anthropology and history. That should cover humans well.” Stormy felt excited on the cusp of a new world, surprised at his own change of moods. Ever since applying though he had been curious about humans. They still seemed nice for the most part, what population didn’t have less desirable people? Canterlot had its fare shares of stuck up ponies, or even egotistical ones.

“Think about your book.” Edward advised. “That is pretty much how human history works.”

That gave the pony a moment of pause, quite a few moments. “Is there a better way to learn about humans?”

Chevonne started to speak, only to be interrupted by Edward. “No. There really isn’t. Just be warned.”

Chevonne shot a sideways glance at the other human who gave a slight nod back. He mouthed something the pony didn’t catch.

“What era and what area did you want to study?” Chevonne asked, slight sputtering in her speech.

“Modern, either US or world history.” Stormy knew he had to take a few history classes, and modern would be best in his mind. It would inform him about how things are currently set up as well as keep myths out of the room. Equestrian history had some problems in anything over a couple hundred years old falling out of memory or becoming “an old mares tale” like the incident with NightMare Moon a few years back.

“That looks like…” Chevonne scrolled through several pages, eyes intently focused. “History 1C. Introduction to Western Civilization 1771 to present. It will cover the entirety of US history.”

“But that’s over 200 years? Isn’t that a long time?”

“Not really.” Chevonne closed her eyes and leaned her head back. “Humans have been around and keeping track of history for over 4000 years in some form or another.”

“Or, we have History 13C. History of the US and its Colonial Origins: 20th Century. That would be just the 1900’s. There are three separate ones, each covering a different century, they would all be useful.”

“That last one.” If the world had over 4000 years of history, he would get a grasp of how it was now and work backwards.

“Let’s see, it’s typically a sequence.” Chevonne scrolled some more. “Normally it is only offered on the Spring. But… you are in luck, for some reason they are offering it in Fall as well as 13A which covers how the United States became a country.”

“The times are… Monday, Wednesday from eleven to twelve twenty-five for lecture and the same time on Friday for discussion.” She hit some more buttons and paper ejected from a device from the small bookshelf at the back of her desk. Chevonne handed the summary to Stormy for registration the next day.

All three sat there for an hour, going through classes and possibilities until he finally had three classes picked. He tried for a mythology class, but it conflicted with history on Fridays so the pony had to decide which he would rather take.

In the end Stormy settled for History 13C, Anthropology 7: Human Evolution, and Geology 1: Intro to Earth and Space Science.

Author's Note:

Ok, this is where I start taking liberties. The history section though is just wow. Yeah. About 200 classes and they get so very specific it isn't even funny. They are either very broad or very specific, there is no middle ground. Writing this note while writing the chapter so ha! I have no clue what I am going to do, the point of these classes now is to put as much pressure on him in one go as possible as well as break any notions he may have as to what is too come. But he won't realize that until fall quarter is well under way.

And selected an actual class and planned out all the GE classes for Stormy. And whoever said mythology should be shot, reasons to be given out later. And the Onyx mare is Technia, but I don't remember whose OC it was.

Long to short. Next chapter (or the one after it) will include an event called Carpe Noctum, seize the night.
What is the weirdest or most unexpected class you've ever taken?