• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 7,844 Views, 611 Comments

School Days - Dai Kirai



The portal between Earth and Equestria has been open for 5 years and cultural exchanges have started taking place in earnest. One of these exchanges is sending ponies to human institutions for higher learning.

  • ...
23
 611
 7,844

Unitended Consequences or one to many books

Stormy galloped over the twisted and gnarled tree roots that jutted from the earth in gnarled twists as if their goal was to snag his hooves. Somewhere along the way he lost his saddlebags and developed a painful stinging in his right wing. Thankfully the moon was full so he never tripped even if the panicked pegasi stumbled. He had to get away, had to run. There was someone or something hollering from the treetops. No, it sounded higher, as if it came from the sky itself. Probably another person or pony trying to catch him. Off in the distance the nightly harsh reverie of canons made itself known, making a rapid clopping sound.

He was alone at least. It felt safer, more secure. His mind barely functioned as adrenaline coursed through his system, but there had to be somepony who could help.

“Stormy!” a female voice called. It was to far away and seemed to come from everywhere at once. “STORMY!” The ground beneath his hooves shook. The world itself shook.

He stopped. That voice, I know that voice. The panicked pegasi paused to catch his breathe and look at his surroundings. The trees formed two perfect rows as the upper leaves coalesced into cruel, curved and knotted wires. An old fashioned biplane could be seen careening through the ravine in the sky, as it seemed to release something like a thin string of clouds. A pleasant but jarring tingling filled his head and the pony gasped.


***


The smell of old books assaulted him. The smell suffused everything to the point he could swear he had never smelled anything quite that strong. The lights seared his eyes, causing his eyes to water, he could barely see the purple mare standing in front of him, let alone her expression in his state. His ears rang from the sound of his own breathing. Stormy retched and a sour taste abruptly filled his mouth. He looked at the piles at stacks of books, he knew it was there somewhere.

Look for the blue circle, look for the blue circle. There was a subtle but sweet smell in the air Stormy associated with rainstorms, sometimes referred to as ozone. With it came a purple haze… surrounding the blue circle.

Stormy yanked the floating bucket to the ground and hugged it, shoving his snout into the interior. Thank Celestia! He also tried to thank Twilight for bringing the container but upon opening his mouth other things happened with an acrid, bitter taste. Small pieces of roughage accompanied the liquid.

“Are you okay?”Twilight placed a caring hoof on his back right between his scapula and rubbed. It didn’t soothe his stomach or his mind; it didn’t hurt either though and he didn’t have the energy to decline it. “It happens to everypony at least once reading the 6’s or 7’s. Especially when you fall asleep reading them.” She said with obvious experience showing in her somber and embarrassed expression, pretty much everyone in the library had seen the mare when it had happened.

“I think you need a break for a few days.”

Stormy’s eyes drifted up to his stack of books that had grown and shrunk several times over the last month, almost none of the first books still sat there. The library added more books every week after all, more than even Twilight could read. I wish it was falling asleep while reading that did this. He emptied what had to be the last contents of his stomach into the bucket. I was hoping sleeping in the library would help with the nightmares from the past week but it just made them worse. A change of scenery, something different or more homey as I spend more time here than anywhere. The dreams felt more vivid and real here than at brother’s. Though I won't wake anyone up here with these nightmares.

“It’s odd that Luna didn’t stop your dream though.” Twilight lifted some books, jotting down their reference information on a piece of parchment before reshelving the book, all without even moving her hooves.

“L-luna?”

“She appears in the moon in pony’s dreams, observing and approaching them to help them face their fears.” A few books were getting quizzical looks from the unicorn and set in their own little pile.

Maybe that was the voice. Stormy saw which books were being set aside as his vision cleared, they were easy to spot with the large 8’s and 9’s on their sides and titles mentioning: Nanjing, Bosnia, and Holodomor. They were all about wars. The pictures flitted through his mind. Oddly his stomach was finally settling down as his body returned to its normal rhythm and stood up, forcing Twilight to take back her hoof.

“Did I mis-shelve these books?” The mare muttered, walking off as she flipped through the books. “How could this have happened?” Her ears shot up. “OH NO!” she flipped around with huge eyes. “I’m sooo sorry Stormy! I-i-i didn’t mean to…” Her eyes and lips quivered, seemingly begging for forgiveness.

“. . .” That look. It hurt Stormy worse than all the week’s nightmares combined. Here was a pony who had helped him and even bent some rules so he could research beyond the expressed limits. And here he was unable to speak what he knew would allay her fears.

“I should have paid more attention. Maybe had them locked up so nopony could just pick one up and read them.” She looked dejected. Or, Stormy thought, like she was an abject failure in the face of her responsibilities.

“It... wasn’t you.” Stormy had to fight for every word. It would be better to just stay qui- no it wouldn’t. Just look at her and quit lying to yourself.

“Of course it was.” She was near tears. “I should have noticed. Celestia trusted me with protected ponies.”

“I waited until you were distracted and or out of the room to grab them. I wanted to understand.” It hurt, it was painful, he felt like withering into himself, that he betrayed something almost sacrosanct. Instead, Stormy looked her in the eyes. I deserve this.

“Why? Why would you intentionally read these?” Twilight was aghast as she stared at him, clearly not quite sure if she were looking at a sane pony any longer. “What could you need to understand so badly?”

“Conflict.” He choked out. Stormy was quickly losing his resolve. Consequences would be coming soon.

“Ooooh.” Realization dawned on her face. “I should have seen it.” The books and paper dropped, though Twilight being herself the literary material did so gently.

“Is this where I get banned?” Stormy shivered, it wasn’t the heat or cold but that he may have just ruined everything and not just for himself. He could be forced to go back to his old life and be not just banned from the library but from ever stepping hoof on Earth again. Or Twilight could be punished. Would she lose her job? Her position?

Twilight let out a sigh and settled her eyes on the stone floor in contemplation. “I don’t know exactly. It will have to be reported to Celestia, you can probably expected to be contacted by someone soon. This hasn’t exactly happened before”

Will I be jailed? Banished? He couldn’t voice those ideas, not if there was even a chance of them happening, he refused to contemplate it out of simple fear.

“Until then.” Twilight swallowed, making a show of sitting up straight and trying to hide her emotions, to be official as she said what came next. “You are not allowed on the library grounds for at least the next 168 hours.”

Stormy’s lip quivered, he felt something hot sting his eyes. “I understand.”

“It’s not what you think. You need to get away from these musty old books for a while and meet some friends. Maybe a special somepony.” A box flashed into existence to which the books he had been reading, including the reshelved ones were pulled down, and carefully placed into the box. “You should also see the doctor about those nightmares and to get long term clearance for Earth. I’m assuming you haven’t had your physical yet and they need to check stress tolerances and common allergies.”

Stormy got up and headed for the door at a shaky pace. Maybe a break would be for the best. He thought more about Twilight’s advice, he had to do something, and there was a potential mare that sprung to mind.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the dark turn, next chapter will be happier, but there are consequences sometimes to leaving what is safe.

The questions I tend to ask at the end aren't always for people to answer but to mull.

I think there was only one time I have had nightmares from studying. and that was because I didn't listen to the TA telling us that what we were about to see was bad. It was the execution of a vietcong soldier, it was not pretty and I say do not look it up. Not sure if this ever happens for others. No question. I have since seen worse and needed to for research and my own stubbornness but it still sucks.

oh yeah, and the feeling of being an idiot when asking a cute lady out, or guy depending on your preference. expect that soon

as for the slow update. had issues with internet being down for 3 weeks and am having doctor issues with an upcoming 8 hour surgery that has been pushed back and an annoying tube in abdomen since july.

and once again, HUGE thanks to ScopeEva for editing, he really does an amazing job