• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 7,845 Views, 611 Comments

School Days - Dai Kirai



The portal between Earth and Equestria has been open for 5 years and cultural exchanges have started taking place in earnest. One of these exchanges is sending ponies to human institutions for higher learning.

  • ...
23
 611
 7,845

Canterlot Library

Large wooden doors towered over the pony, and while they stood open he was convinced a dragon could fit comfortably through them. They also looked solid enough that same dragon could never breach them if locked shut . It was a daunting sight, his reflexes told him to let his wings drop much like a human’s jaw seemed to do on occasion. Stormy fought his own intimidation as he entered the library only to realise the entire building was of similar scale. The bookcases stood at least three time taller than the doors with walkways making separate floors.

Very few ponies could be seen. There was an elderly mare manning a desk and a few others in the distance reading books. Stormy tried to remember the last time he had been to any library, and the only one was way back in primary school. How can there be so many books? The weather factory has its own collection of books but it’s nothing like this.

Stormy continued to stare until a pony came up, tapping on his shoulder. He turned to see an elderly earth pony mare with grey mane and cantaloupe fur. There was a small light brown desk against the wall, half covered in books with a “HELP” sign below it. Conveniently She wore a badge that read “Venerable Parchment”.

“May I help you find a book?”

Stormy was still struck by all the books. There had to be millions.

“Ummm,” He knew there was no way to find anything in here. How are they even sorted? “Please.” Stormy gave her what he hoped was an encouraging smile. “Books on Earth?”

“I am afraid we do not have many of those.” Parchment went back to her desk, rummaged through several papers and came back carrying one in her left hoof. As the earth pony led the pegasus through various aisles she would check the paper and compare it to numbers on the shelves. “Celestia only recently approved a budget for new materials. It then takes our researchers a fair bit of time to discover the reliable ones.”

Stormy thought about that for a while. It went against what he had heard about Celestia ordering a lot of human books, but could be true. How many things had he heard throughout his life that had only been mare’s tails? Although Nightmare Moon was true. How unreliable could a human’s books be? They don’t seem to lie that often although they have some big stories like moving building by helicopter.

“Here we are, Human Studies.” Parchment waved at a large, empty bookcase. Not exactly empty, just that where the other bookcases were jammed with books, this one had less than two dozen. Most were leaning against a side or just laying flat. The titles were even more boring. “A concise history of human evolution.” “Deities of the Sinai Peninsula.” “Scholastic Science Dictionary.” “The Way Things Work.” “Animals of Earth.” “Taming of the Shrew.” Several whose titles started with “National Audubon Society First Field Guide.”

“Are you sure there is nothing more?” Stormy questioned, flipping quickly through the books again. None of them dealt with the information he needed.

“Quite sure.” Venerable Parchment took some time to tidy up the dusty shelves. It was in a back corner and seemed like nopony ever visited this section. “This section has only been open for the last few weeks-”

“Parchment. Celestia’s student has finished going through another stack.” A snow white pegasus rounded a corner. Sunny Skies gave a brief wing wave to Stormy before saying more to Parchment, as if a whole spiel had been memorized. “There is nothing new in this section but at least four-thousand have recently arrived from Earth, most are in section 3 but there are a few new additions to section 9, if you can please inform our ‘special’ readers of these new acquisitions.”

Venerable Parchment took a brief bow, it lasted all of a second. “I was just showing this pony our current selection of books on Earth.”

Sunny hid a petit giggle behind her radiant hoof.

A look of horror crossed the maretron’s face as she looked between the two pegasi. “Oh, no. You two know each other…” Parchment took an immediate longer bow which was met by a less stifled giggle out of Sunny.

“Tis nothing like that.” A snort or two could be heard when Sunny took in breathe. An instant later she was back under control, though the smile never left her face. “Stormy here was at my orientation. He’s one of the new ‘ambassadors’ to Earth. The new list of accredited individuals should be at your desk within a week.” Sunny lowered her head in apology. “We never expected somepony to show up quite this quickly.”

“Yes Ma’am.” Venerable Parchment gave another deeper bow. “I will leave him with you then and return to my work.” The elderly earth pony turned and left, moving at a canter and turning down another aisle at the first chance.

“Looking for books on Earth?” Sunny had followed the other mare with her eyes, and looked still to be following her.

Stormy’s eyes darted between his fellow ‘student’ and where the librarian had stood. “Yes.” He gave a truncated nod, unsure what was going on, again. “There was some stuff I wanted to research.”

The cheery pegasus finally moved her attention fully to the stallion. “Then this is the wrong place to look.”

“But isn’t this where they house all the books?” Stormy took another sweeping look at his surroundings and the massive aisle of books. A city in its own rights.

“The books on Earth have been separated depending on their sensitivity.” Sunny spoke as if only they two existed and walked a circuitous path around various bookcases. “They are ranked from one to ten with one being what was on that shelf and ten being only for the Princesses and very select others.”

“Why would the Princesses do such a thing?” Somehow Stormy found he was in an old stone hallway.

Sunny’s eyelids lowered as she stopped walking. This was the first time the pegasus had looked stern, there was no more sense of levitity or regality she had embodied until now. Instead she looked like a disappointed teacher explaining how to buck clouds for the twentieth time to the same student. “There are beings, on both worlds mind you, that would like nothing more than to see any and all alliances fail. Neither humans, nor ponies, nor griffons, nor many others look great when viewed through certain lenses. What do you think would happen if the average fearful pony got ahold of that book you were reading?”

“. . .” All Stormy could do was meat the question with a stunned silence.

“80 million people died in their last big war.” Sunny’s wings ruffled as she faced the other pony. She began radiating something, Stormy had never felt that kind of an emotion before, like a deep sadness. “More than 50 million were civilians. If that became common knowledge Celestia and Luna would have to work constantly just to keep their ponies from reacting out of hoof.” Sunny pointed to a mirror on a wall. “Look at yourself, how you look after learning that. You have met these humans. Now imagine how the average pony would react. How you would have reacted before going to Earth. That is more life than a pony can reasonably understand. That number is only one note in their history and a very little detail compared to the bigger picture.”

Stormy declined to look in the mirror, one that had seemed to materialize out of nowhere. He could feel his stomach turning, increased blood flowing through his body. Hooves clopping on the stone floor.

Sunny turned away, her tail moving as if it was a creature in its own right and completely avoided Stormy where anypony else would have hit him with their tail. He could see her sides and wings quivering. Her chest making big movements.

“I’m sor-” The stallion apologized.

“You have nothing to be sorry for.” Sunny sighed. “It has been a long week. I have not slept since returning to Equestria. There are so many errands and things to file. The paperwork piled up. Celestia needed crop reports from Ponyville, the list of requested imports and exports, new tariff laws, researcher requests.” Her head rested against the cool wall.

“You will have access to everything level 5 and below.” Sunny metered her voice. “As will most every other student visiting Earth. There will be some restriction based on past history and personality.” She took one last deep breath followed by a loud exhalation. The smile slowly returned. “Next time you want to see these books, just show Parchment your UCLA ID and she will lead you to the proper doors.”

“How will you handle all this work while on Earth?” Stormy followed her down the hallway to a wooden door just the right size for an alicorn.

“I am training my younger sister, Moonlight Sonata, how to take over my duties. It is quite tiring.” The mare let out her own small laugh. “But that is its own interesting matter.” Her manner had entirely returned to what it had been as she opened the wooden door.

Author's Note:

Another HUGE thanks to Scope Eva. Best editor I have ever had. He catches a lot of my mistakes.

Apparently I am bad with subtlety. It is either to subtle or too blatant. :pinkiesad2: That and its weird trying to write stupid characters.

On a different note. It is hard to write a character and not have them reflect some aspect of your soul as they can only represent what you know or perceive. That is why self inserts can easily turn in a mary sue, and why they should be avoided. And writing this I though Stormy was an earlier version of myself and I was very wrong, he annoys me. But I did put someone in who is very like me, Sue. Shocker, but that is the character in here most like myself. Would like to point out there is a difference between accommodations and being treated differently. I was kicked out of my major due to health issues, things I have always had to struggle with. I could do the same work, or more, than other students but would not be in my desk everyday. So, where is that line in accommodations?