• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 7,844 Views, 611 Comments

School Days - Dai Kirai



The portal between Earth and Equestria has been open for 5 years and cultural exchanges have started taking place in earnest. One of these exchanges is sending ponies to human institutions for higher learning.

  • ...
23
 611
 7,844

NSA

Stormy thought back to his orientation packet and all it mentioned was meeting their advisor. “How do you know our advisor is a she?”

Edward kept walking forward, his face neutral and not in his book.

They turned right; there were several groups of people standing and talking, inside Covel he saw other groups sitting on the floor. Each group consisted of about seven people. Dead ahead, halfway between the doors to Covel and the donuts, a lady was sitting on the edge of a planter. She turned her head in their direction and waved, but that was the direction Edward was going as he waved back.

“I see you’ve managed to find our last student.” She said to Edward before looking over to Stormy and putting out her hand which Stormy shook. “I’m Chevonne Brannon, your New Student Advisor. We can get started as soon as the other two return.”

Chevonne was wearing the same shirt yellow shirt as the previous lady, but it contrasted sharply with her vibrant orange hair, which was also the wildest mane the pegasus had ever seen with its numerous curls and her hair going past her the outside of her shoulders. Her skin was also pale with numerous brown freckles covering her cheeks. She then waved over at the doughnut stand, calling out “Sue, Kat, the group is here.” Her voice was rough with a high pitch.

Stormy looked to the directions of the tables and froze. Please don’t be them two. He pleaded, seeing the two women whose room he woke up in talking. Their faces were excited, eyes wide, emotions so vivid even Stormy could read them without effort. Their hands were moving rapidly, moving all about as they talked. The dark haired one looked over and waved before motioning for her friend to follow.

Stormy’s chest heaved as he tried prancing while sitting down. The dark haired one wore a black shirt with blue denim pants, while the blonde was wearing a thin pink sweater over a white shirt and the same type of pants as her friend. To distract himself from the coming problem, he looked back to Edward. “What were they doing with their hands?”

Edward already had his book up but looked over at him. “More than likely just gesticulating. It is something humans use to better convey their ideas.”

Stormy heard snickering from behind and turned to see the dark haired female with her hand covering her mouth to keep from laughing any louder. Her eyes conveyed a different idea as she removed her hand to speak, lips raised predatorily. “Nice to see you again.”

Chevonne’s eyes widened with a grin. “So you’ve already met? That’s great! How did you meet?”

“I don’t know his name, but my friend here woke up under him this morning.” She choked out the end through her laughing.

Chevonne was silent as was Edward staring between Stormy and the blonde. Stormy felt his cheeks redden.

“Suzanne!” The blonde started. “That is not what happened.” Her hands were moving snap quick as she spoke. “He was in the wrong room and crashed on the top bunk.” Her speech seemed odd, Stormy tried to mouth the words and it seemed like her tongue didn’t move properly.

“That’s what I said.” Suzanne “You woke up under him; you were on the lower bunk while he was on the top.” Her grin got wider. “It’s not like I mentioned how he ran into you when you got out of the shower.”
The argument between the two friends got worse as Stormy felt he was about to die of embarrassment. Edward stood there grinning.

Chevonne barely missed a beat. “Well then why don’t we properly introduce ourselves properly. I’m Chevonne, a fourth year anthro major and your NSA, New Student Advisor. Originally from San Francisco. If you have any problem I’m in Reiber Terrace 801.” She reached into a small bag at her side and pulled out a few plastic cards. “And before I forget here are your student ID’s, needed them to make sure I found the right people.” She grinned passing them out.

Stormy took his with a hoof. Most of the card was taken up with an angled view of a brick building that appeared to have a clock tower on either side with trees on either side. The bottom quarter was a dust blue, a line of yellow separating the building from the bottom. The blue area contained his name, a nine digit number and his designation as a student. To the left was a picture of him and above that was a picture of his cutie mark. It was the same image as was on his visa, one he had to send in to the school.
Stormy glanced at Edward’s card, and it was the exact same but without the cutie mark picture. But where did they get the picture? Surely they didn’t have to get a visa.

“Those cards will get you into the dining halls and into your residence halls once the quarter starts, and you can put money on them to pay for food or buy things at various stores around campus. They also contain you student ID number.” Chevonne smiled. “And I would like to welcome you to UCLA. Kat. Would you like to introduce yourself next and we just go counterclockwise?” Chevonne asked.

“Ok.” Kat replied, hands clasped in front of herself. “My name is Katherine Thomas.” Her tone was flat and the lisp still present. “I am a pure math major. Been in LA my whole life. As you can probably tell I like pink.” She said, pointing to a pair of rose pink pumps on her feet. “And my evil friend here is Suzanne.”

With crocodile grin in place, Suzanne spoke. “I’m Suzanne Liu, not evil, just like some fun. Born and raised in LA Me and Kim have been friends since second grade. I’m a physics major, all the better to make traps with.” At this Kim cast her a glare. Sue’s smile never left her face.

“I assume it is my turn then. The name Is Edward Lee. Linguistics from Oklahoma. You can call me a bit of a bibliophile.” He said, still sounding like an upper Canterlotian and holding up his book. “There is not much to tell.”

Stormy felt all eyes on him now, forcing himself to swallow, he started. “I’m Stormy Skies. I don’t really have a major yet. I’m from Canterlot, and haven’t been to school in several years, and have been working at the weather factory.” He was too nervous to watch anyone else as he spoke, but he could have sworn Suzanne’s hands were moving as he spoke.

“Great.” Chevonne enthused. “You are all a talkative bunch. Let’s get started with some icebreakers. Have any of you traveled before coming here?”

The first to speak up was Edward. “I have never traveled before coming here. My parents never cared much for it and anything worth visiting is a long way from home.”

“Well, I go to Hangzhou, China every summer to visit my grandparents. Have been to a few places around California like Yosemite though.” Suzanne finished.

Katherine looked hesitant to answer, so Stormy started to speak. But before he could get a word out, she started. “My family likes to travel in the summer. The only one that comes to mind would be Alaska.” She closed her mouth, taking in a deep breath. “The air was so fresh and clean, crisp and chill like you wouldn’t believe, especially next to a glacier. It was invigorating. Makes you feel alive.” Her voice became more animated the longer she talked.

Stormy had a vague idea where some of these places were, like China. But Yosemite and the other ones meant nothing. “Outside of attending school in Cloudsdale, I haven’t been outside of Canterlot.”

“What is Equestria like?” A voice asked, it was female and it sounded like Kat, but Stormy couldn’t be sure.

The pegasus started and stopped, he had no quick answer and didn’t expect to be questioned. “It has shorter counters? I don’t know how to explain it; I don’t even know how different this place is.”

“Well said.” Edward replied. “Never give an answer until you can give an accurate one.”

A lull came to the conversation which Edward quickly filled with a question. “Why are all of the other groups so large?”

Chevonne pressed her lips together trying to avoid eye contact with both Edward and Stormy. “They don’t really want us telling this, but…” She sighed. “They never said we couldn’t. It has to do with ponies. It was decided small groups with only one Equestrian would be best for acclimating them.”

Stormy looked down. Was this his fault? Were ponies viewed negatively? He looked around at the other groups of eight or nine, already split up into smaller groups of people talking. He didn’t even realize he was muttering to himself until a hand between his wings shook him awake.

Stormy looked up into the concerned faces of the humans around them.

“How weird are humans already? Just think of that book you are reading. How would you respond with double the number of humans here? I’m sure Celestia is aware of this and finds it acceptable.”

Stormy thought about Edward’s words, these days had already been trying and he had met some mean people. Was this also done to improve his feelings?

“Besides,” Kat continued, “You see how all those other groups have split into smaller ones? A group this small can keep everyone included. Larger groups tend to exclude people, especially ones that don’t fit.”

“And crazy is best in small doses.” Sue finished. “Besides, you get to know three different kinds of crazy really well instead of eight vaguely.” Her grin never left, but it seemed gentler now.

Stormy thought about it, and while the first two seemed comforting, he did not trust Suzanne. The talking became a little warmer as they started to compare notes on movies, followed by music. They all seemed to differ but the pegasus paid attention to what they said and tried to remember what they said for later.

“Surely you have seen ‘Stand and Deliver’ it’s a great movie about a math teacher in inner city LA. How can you not have seen it?” Edward asked incredulously.

“Seen it? I’ve never even heard of it.” Kat replied. “And it doesn’t sound like my type of movie.”

“If I watch a movie you recommend will you watch it?” Edward rebutted.

“Yes. ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, but you will have to look it up.” Suzanne replied before her friend could speak. “You do like it,” She told her protesting friend, “besides, it will be good for you.”

“Fine.” Katherine humphed.

“Deal.” Edward sealed as they shook hands.

“I’m glad you all have started to get along but we should get going to Ackerman for the opening address if you want a decent seat.

Stormy looked around, at the different composition of humans. About half the groups had left while several small groups or individuals carrying bags headed from different building past Covel.

Author's Note:

Sorry if you thought it was about some US clandestine intelligence operation :trollestia:

And in case you are wondering, Chevonne is an Irish name.

No, this is not dead, just as hiatus as I sort through some things, if I ever end it, it will have an actual ending or the status will be changed to cancelled or completed. I have the next five chapters written so have no fear, and the next five are planned out I just have to sit down and write. This will all be explained next chapter, as well as the introduction of real life anecdotes about school if people are interested.

What I would like to do first is explain why I started this story. I club Bronies@UCLA which I participate in decided to have a writing contest with the prompt being a pony at UCLA and could even just be anything so long as it fit. So hope you enjoyed the first part of orientation.