• Published 17th Jun 2013
  • 559 Views, 10 Comments

Inner Self - zenthechangeling



A changeling defies his queen, escapes to ponyville, and manages to survive through his job as psychologist, but how long till some pony finds out his secret?

  • ...
6
 10
 559

Chapter 1 (Zen)

Inner Self
Chapter 1
Zen

The forest was dark, perfect for a changeling like me to hide. There was a strange feeling in the air though like at any moment something might jump out and attack me, but I couldn’t think about that now. I must figure out how I’m going to survive now. Where will I live? Well I guess that’s obvious Ponyville, though I’m none too eager to live alongside the bearer’s of the Elements of Harmony. Unfortunately, there are no other real options available right now; I’ll find some way to make do.

Now what about a disguise, something that’d fit in well with pony society that noling would believe was a changeling, White! (1) One problem, the tail, it was all bloody from the gate falling on it; I failed to notice how bad it was earlier cause of my naturally red mane and tail. I needed to get love, but getting love through that pity just didn’t seem right, besides it could bring up several unwanted questions. Of course!, I’d just keep the main and tail the same, even with that still the same no one would recognize me as a white pony, besides most changelings are maneless. What about a mark? Nah, that would be too much effort to come up with and holding it would be hard in my condition.

Just one step left a name, this could be hard. Hmmm… what could my name be? As I pondered this, I suddenly heard something, something was coming, and it was growing ever closer.

Then from the bushes it jumped, I was now standing face to three faces. In front of me stood a cerberus! Oh, No! I was in trouble now exhaustion had done hit me, I could hardly move now from that long flight. (2) I couldn’t run or fly to get away, and I sure wasn’t gonna stay and be eaten. I’d have to stall, but how? All three heads were staring down at me, drooling ready to strike.

Oh no I’m gonna be eaten by one of these dog heads!

The cerberus stopped suddenly, staring amongst its heads in confusion. The answer is clear just as before, with the ponies and my brethren I would let my enemies beat their selves!

“Hey liver breaths!”

All three heads returned back towards me. For a moment I wondered if I was doing the right thing.

“Which one of you meat loving hounds is the Alpha head? You know the toughest, clearly that’s the one that’ll eat me!”

There was a pause for a second, and then all three heads were at each other trying to prove which one was the alpha. Perfect just as I hoped, no need to worry now, the problem was dealing with itself. Wow, was I smart.

Well before I get to full of myself I might want to move away a bit, rather not be here when this beasty composes its self. As I slowly walked (3), I decided I better go ahead and get into disguise, and then I remembered one thing I forgot to consider earlier. I knew the basis of what my disguise would be, but which of the pony races should I be? Let’s see, Alicorn is out of the question, that’d bring to much attention. Rather not be Earth pony either, that’d be without either gift. So pegusus or unicorn? Magic or flight? Well after all that flying earlier today I’d happily live the rest of my life without flight, ok then I’ll be a unicorn.

In a flash I changed into my new desired form. Suddenly I heard a voice! Was I seen? I turned around to see a huge sea serpent. A rather flamboyant looking one at that!

“Well hello there little one” he said cheerfully, “What is your name?”

Wow not what I expected at all! I though this monster was gonna eat me. But, this was a problem I still haven’t named myself, gotta think fast. Well I seem to have found myself rather good at understanding the mind, better be something psychological I guess.

“Oh how rude of me”, the serpent interrupted my train of thought “my name is Steve Magnet and you are?”

Think, think think.

“I’m waiting”, “Zen!”,I suddenly blurted out “my name is Zen.” Hmm… that name has a nice ring to it and a nice hidden humor to it as well. (4)

There was a moment of silence then Steve spoke up, “So what’s a changeling doing out here in the Everfree?”

Looks like the jig is up! Was I that obvious? What’ll I do now?

Author's Note:

(1) changelings hate white the bright color hurts their eyes
(2) Yall didn’t actually think it was a short flight did yall?
(3) not a good idea to make much noise while sneaking
(4) I’m curious as to who will notice the hidden joke, please comment if you understand it

Comments ( 5 )

just thought I'd give a little heads up, things go a little WTF! next chapter, I will get to work on it as soon as possible, and I hope this is enjoyed, despite my lack in skill at writing, I truly enjoy doing it, I hope to get good enough that this story really will be a good one

I like the story so far it would be nice if the chapters were a bit longer but still a good story I like it so far. Keep writing :)

2790985 once I get better at writing chapters should become longer

2793241 ok :) I like the story :)

I am sorry I am quitting on this story. I am unable to do it as originally hoped, I plan to eventually try again, starting differently in order see this story to where I want it. I am sorry.

Login or register to comment