• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 8,878 Views, 550 Comments

"I don't know how to deal with this!" - Dirty Bit



This is a story about madness; Madness and black blood.

  • ...
15
 550
 8,878

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The Truth About Souls! Discord has a secret?

Discord tilted his head at the huddled ponies, ignoring Rarity laying unconscious on the ground. He glided towards them with curiousity in his eyes "Hey there, everypony. What's going on? Is there something interesting the manticore left behind?"

Twilight turned away from the group to see the draconequus approach them "Discord. Is everypony safe and sound?"

"Actually, I have terrible news..." Discord said with a look of heavy sadness in his eyes "When I came in and swept away the victims, I was unable to save them all in time..." He said as his eyes closed "They will be missed..." He murmured, earning the attention of the other ponies, save for Fluttershy and Crona. They shared his look of sadness until a snickering was heard, to which Discord bursted out laughing "I'm just kidding! They're all alive and well! I was on the ball when I dragged them out of harm's way."

While Twilight was relieved to hear the news, she groaned "That wasn't funny, Discord. They were lucky to survive any unexpected danger." She said in aggravation.

Discord held his claw and paw in a placating motion "Take it easy, Twilight; I was only trying to lighten the mood is all." He looked over at Fluttershy and Crona, both of their backs turned as they focused on their own interests "And I see that it hasn't entirely worked. What's going on?"

Applejack shuddered "Ya should probably see this fer yerself. Ah dunno if ya'd like it, though..."

Discord inched towards Fluttershy and heard the sound of her sobbing, causing his heart to nearly wrench itself "Oh dear...Fluttershy, what's wrong? Did that manticore hurt you?" His eyes narrowed as he darted his head about "That fleabag's looking for a world of pandemonium if he's anywhere around!" He snapped apprehensively, unhappy with the fact that his best friend could be possibly hurt.

Fluttershy cast a sideways glance with her tear-stained eyes "Oh, Discord...It's awful...The manticore-"

"The manticore's gone, Discord." Twilight interrupted "But he did leave something behind..." She looked over at her sorrowful friend "Show him, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy was hesitant at first, but she shifted her body to show the manticore's soul nestled in her forelegs, shining its bright red glow while the pegasus sniffled. Discord widened his eyes "I-...I don't believe it..." He pointed a claw "That belonged to the manticore, correct?" He asked in an unusually serious tone, though he was surprised all the more.

Twilight nodded "It happened to become that right after Crona..." She looked away with her ears drooping, a frightened look in her eyes "...Well, I don't want to say it for Fluttershy's sake."

Discord held out his eagle claw "Fluttershy, may I see what you're holding please?" Fluttershy reluctantly offered the soul to Discord, who held it carefully with two talons as he inspected it up close "It's been so long since I've seen anything like this." He looked down at the other ponies "But how did this happen?"

Pinkie Pie held up her forehooves "Let's just say the manticore's here, but at the same time he's NOT here thanks to Crona." She looked over at the mentioned pony staring into the puddle of black blood "Crona? You okay over there?"

Rainbow Dash hovered with a frown "You know, ever since Crona brought up the whole 'manticore's soul' thing, she's been standing over there and hasn't moved at all." She glided over to Crona's catatonic face, then where its eyes were directed towards, wincing at the puddle "Oh, I get it...You don't like staring at blood a whole lot, don't ya? I don't blame you."

Crona lightly whimpered "The blood...But that could only mean..."
_____

Crona laid in the middle of the darkened forest, giving off a pained moan as it picked itself up. It rubbed its head with a forehoof and opened its eyes to scan its surroundings "Huh? Where-...Where am I?" Crona said, waking up and looking around, feeling panicked about the scenery "Th-This isn't Lady Medusa's hideout...What happened?" It looked at its forelegs and yelped "What's going on!?"

The human-turned-pony couldn't comprehend its current situation, being sent to a different area after being fatally wounded by their own mother. There were sounds of snarls and hisses that brought Crona out of its thoughts "Who's there?" The frightened pony picked itself up and looked around 'What's going on? Is this the afterlife? I-...I-...' Crona's face grimaced, never anticipating to end up in such a random and dark situation.

'...I don't know how to deal with this!'

Crona's heart stopped when the many horrors of the dark forest came into plain sight; several ferocious animals unlike anything seen in the demon sword meister's past life slowly inched closer to surround their prey. Crona bared its teeth and whimpered "Why? I thought I would be through with this kind of suffering...Why?"

As if any unexpected actions have already occured, Crona was caught off-guard when something jabbed its head. Hovering over the frightened pony was an irate Ragnarok "Would you quit your whining!? I'm trying to sleep here!" After catching a glimpse of Crona's new form and the monsters that surrounded them, Ragnarok's anger was forgotten "What the-...Where are we?"

Crona looked around with discomfort "I don't know, but I don't like it..." It murmured. What appeared to be a wolf made of wood salivated in front of Crona and bent down in a pouncing stance, ready to strike at the seemingly helpless target.

Ragnarok leered at the advancing monsters and grunted "Whatever, these idiots are starting to bug me! Let's get 'em, Crona!"

Crona looked up, showing Ragnarok one of its forelegs "But I have no hands..." A set of fangs biting down on Crona's foreleg caught its attention. It stared at the wolf biting down before yelling and flailing its hoof, knocking the wolf away and turning it into a pile of twigs. Traces of Crona's blood dripped from the wound it suffered before it was hardened up by Ragnarok.

Before the rude growth could ask for a 'thank you', a set of claws slashed at Crona's back, eliciting a surprised look on its face while it was sent forward into the ground. Ragnarok hardened the wound shortly after some blood flew while Crona picked itself up to look back at the giant lion with wings swatting the pony away with a paw.

Ragnarok growled after his meister took so many hits "Quit fooling around and kill them, Crona!"

Crona picked itself up and rubbed its face "But I can't use you with no arms, Ragnarok...I don't know what to do." The frightened pony said, feeling helpless in its new form.

"Then use your mouth! Let's just kill these bastards and find out where we are!" Ragnarok spat while he defended Crona.

Crona nodded before looking ahead at the group of monsters, its look of anxiety gradually replaced with faint conviction "Scream Resonance..." Ragnarok melded down into a liquid trail that lined across Crona's mouth and formed a long thin blade, the pony biting down on the hilt. From the blade sprouted a set of red lips that sported a toothy grin before giving off a piercing yell.

The monsters gave off roars, screeches, and hisses from the intensity of Ragnarok's shout, but it was short-lived when Crona improvised with Ragnarok in mouth and made quick work of each one. When there was nothing but blood and souls, Crona stood with its maddening gaze 'I don't know where I am...I don't know what to do other than fight anything that comes my way...I don't want to fight anymore...'

A gasp was heard, and Crona turned its head to see what appeared to be a pony with wings staring with frightened eyes 'Another pony...Maybe...Maybe that pony can help me...' Crona slowly trotted towards the pony while she backed away and whimpered. She then jumped back into the forest out of sight, much to Crona's disappointment 'Oh no...Now what am I gonna do?' Crona's eyes went back to normal, a look of sadness seen as tears welled up in its eyes 'I'm lost...We're lost...'

"Hey!"

Crona looked down on the blade that had red lips "Quit standing around like a moron! Just grab the souls and let's get moving. We gotta figure out where the hell we are now!"

The frightened pony looked back at the carnage left in its wake and shook its head before opening its mouth to let the sword meld into liquid and seep back inside Crona "We don't need souls, Ragnarok..." It opened its eyes to see the brush where the other pony ran through "But you're right. We have to keep moving..."

Ragnarok popped out of Crona's back and glared "Seriously!? It's bad enough you decide against not nabbing a few well-earned souls back at the DWMA, but you're still gonna stick to that!?" The rude growth looked down at a rare sight to his eyes: an agitated meister who was more focused on the current matter.

There was seldom a time where Crona would ever get angry at Ragnarok; he would be lucky enough to counter with his own anger with greater force, but even he knew not to antagonize his meister when they had enough. Ragnarok cautiously inched away from Crona "A-Alright, fine. Let's get out of here..." He muttered.

After coming to an agreement, the deadly pair attempted to follow after the pony through the brush that she jumped through. Little did they know that another monster stepped into the battle's aftermath and inspected the blood that was left behind by Crona and Ragnarok. It leaned down towards the black blood and sniffed at it before lapping it up.
_____

Crona stared at the blood for what felt like an eternity and shook its head "No, this isn't good. This isn't good at all!"

Rainbow Dash inched away from Crona after its outburst and arched an eyebrow "What's gotten into you all of the sudden, Crona? The blood isn't that bad, is it?"

Crona darted its head towards Rainbow Dash "It is! We have to get rid of it!"

Pinkie trotted over to Crona as she rolled her eyes "Well, duh~! Nopony wants to look at blood, even if it's a different color." She smiled at Crona "At least you're considerate about cleaning up a mess, Crony."

Crona turned towards Pinkie "It's not about that! My black blood is dangerous!"

Twilight looked over at Crona "I'm willing to agree on two factors." She held up a hoof "For starters, we know that any creature from the Everfree Forest wouldn't leave their home unless they were provoked. Secondly, we've noticed that the manticore was bleeding black blood throughout the whole battle." She trotted over towards the puddle and frowned "We'll have to dispose of this stuff as soon as possible."

Applejack - who carried Rarity onto her back while she was still unconscious - pointed a hoof "What about Crona? We already know he's partially responsible fer this. If anypony else were t' find out, they'd drive 'im outta town in a heartbeat!"

Discord scowled while holding the manticore's soul "...I get the distinct feeling I'm being ignored..." He snapped his talons, and the traces of black blood seen through town square had vanished, and the damages have been easily repaired. All the ponies present directed their attention towards the spirit of chaos, who wore a smug grin "See? Simple as that. Normally, that would've taken hours, if not days to clean up." He stared until his expression of uncharacteristic seriousness kicked in "Now back towards the matter at hoof. Crona was responsible for this, right?" The mentioned pony nodded slowly when it was acknowledged "Then it's no doubt you're from another world." He held up the soul towards the ponies "Something like this is unattainable through simply felling foes. This shouldn't even be seen by pony eyes."

"Whoops!" said Pinkie as she reflexively covered her eyes with her forelegs "There we go." She chirped with a wide smile.

Discord shook his head "You and your friends don't count, Pinkie; you're already aware of the spectacle." He looked at the soul in his hands "Although, we'll have to get rid of this before it's discovered by any unwanted onlookers."

Ragnarok popped out of Crona's back with a gleeful look in his eyes "Done and done! Hand it over here!"

Discord blinked at Ragnarok before reaching his eagle claw towards him. Ragnarok examined the soul before he revealed his mouth and wrapped the soul in his tongue, snatching it from Discord's grasp and swallowing it whole. He ignored the many looks of shock from the other ponies while he smacked his lips "Finally! That was another good meal!" He paused before turning to Fluttershy and Applejack "Speaking of meal..."

Crona looked at the element bearers and their shock and blinked "What's wrong? We got rid of the soul, right? Why are you all looking at us like that?" The meister was beginning to think that what Ragnarok had done in front of its friends wasn't considered to be normal in Equestria.

Twilight twitched an eye and pointed a shaky hoof towards Ragnarok "Y-...Did you just-...!?"

Rainbow Dash's jaw was dropped before she covered her mouth with her forehooves as her face turned green, her cheeks puffed. She flew away without warning, and a distant sound of release was heard.

Applejack covered her face with her hat "That jus' ain't right!" She blurted out. To her credit, she was lucky that Rarity did not see such a thing to faint for a fourth time.

Pinkie was the only pony that wasn't creeped out by the grotesque display "Wait a minute...Souls can be eaten?" She looked down and silently contemplated on what her soul would taste like, oblivious to the current scene.

Fluttershy was the most devastated "How could you?" She uttered.

Ragnarok looked at Fluttershy "What are you gawking at? I was hungry, and I haven't had a soul for a long time!" He narrowed his eyes "Also, I remember you promised us a meal after we chose to acknowledge your dumb friends! I'll look the other way since we're gonna eat at Applejack's first, but I expect you to keep your promise next time!"

Fluttershy's look of shock was replaced with that of anger as she stared at the rude growth "How dare you?"

Ragnarok raised an eyebrow, confused by Fluttershy's question "What's that supposed to mean?"

Fluttershy flew into Ragnarok's face, her anger intensified "How dare you!? Why would you go so far as to eating someone's soul as if it were candy!?"

Ragnarok narrowed his eyes "What does it matter to you?" He spat irritably "In case you haven't noticed, I have a taste for souls and that one was ripe for the picking! Besides, that stupid manticore was already dead, so he's fair game. Why are you acting like it's a crime?"

Fluttershy gritted her teeth "Just because he wasn't with us anymore doesn't mean you can just go about and eating his soul like that! Who do you think you are!?" She shouted.

Ragnarok growled "Obviously I'm a weapon! If you don't like me eating souls, then it sucks to be you!" He shouted back. Crona grew unsettled over the argument that started between them.

Discord was just as unsettled as Crona, though attempted to quell the argument before more voices were raised "Look, Fluttershy, I'm just as surprised as you are about this, but at least Ragnarok was able to mask the evidence. We shouldn't dwell on this when there are bigger things to worry about!"

Sadly, his words fell on deaf ears as Fluttershy pointed a hoof at Ragnarok "I don't know where you get off with doing something like that, but it's unacceptable! How would you like it if somepony devoured YOUR soul?"

Ragnarok laughed defiantly "Like that'll ever happen! Who would even do that? You? You can't even fight to save your life!"

Fluttershy growled at Ragnarok's intolerant words and focused her eyes against his own, channeling an unknown power that found its way into the rude growth's body, causing his eyes to widen "Agh! What is this!?"

Applejack watched the sene and cracked a thin smile "Heh, serves him right..." She said to herself until she caught a glimpse of Crona, who wasn't looking so well. To her, Crona held the same exact reaction of Ragnarok and looked as if it were suffering pain "Oh horseapples." She looked over at Fluttershy "Fluttershy! Ah know Ragnarok deserves yer stare, but Ah think Crona's feelin' it, too! He ain't likin' it at all!"

Discord looked down and grimaced at Crona's expression. He gently nudged Fluttershy and grabbed her attention, then pointed at the weakened pony under Ragnarok. She gasped as her anger instantly vanished "Oh my goodness! Crona, are you alright?" Fluttershy asked as she held Crona's cheeks.

Crona's eyes wandered as if it were in a daze "What happened?" It moaned while Ragnarok was in a similar state after dealing with Fluttershy's stare.

Twilight gazed intently at Crona and Ragnarok "Incredible...It must be their symbiotic relationship that's causing them to feel 'The Stare' simultaneously." She frowned "It'll be tough for Fluttershy to get used to Ragnarok without having to resort to using it if he acts out too much."

Applejack narrowed her eyes at Ragnarok "Well, that don't help us none." She turned to Twilight "But that just leaves one thing..." Twilight shared a glance with the farmpony "How does Discord know so much about souls?"

Twilight perked up "Hey, you're right!" She looked up at Discord with a suspicious glance "How DO you know about the concept of a material soul, Discord?"

Discord stared blankly at Twilight before laughing "Oh, Twilight, you know how me and Celestia are so old and more acquainted with the aspect of certain magics. It's nothing to worry about right now, since we've just avoided something big."

Twilight narrowed her eyes "Funny, because for as long as I've studied magic from literature, there hasn't been a single passage that stated that souls can easily be acquired through killing somepony!"

Discord stared before shifting his eyes left and right. He then inched back when he got an idea "I'd love to stay and chat about that, but I should check on Spike. The little boy's all cooped up in the library with nothing to do. Oh, and I should tell everypony that the manticore's gone. Bye now!" He said hastily as he snapped his talons and winked out, much to Twilight's frustration.

Applejack sighed "Of course he'd know somethin'. Should we follow 'im?" She asked Twilight.

Twilight huffed "No...He'll come back eventually." She said with an annoyed glare towards where Discord once stood. Twilight then turned to Crona with concern "The better question is if Crona's alright."

Crona moaned before shaking its head frantically to brush off its daze "What just happened? All I remembered was you and Ragnarok fighting, and then I felt something inside of me..." It looked at Fluttershy with bewildered eyes.

Fluttershy sighed in relief before smiling at Crona "It doesn't matter now. At least you're alright." They stared until something pulled on Fluttershy's mane, causing her to yelp.

Ragnarok pulled on Fluttershy's mane with both of his paws with an irate gaze "What the hell did you do to me and Crona!? You think I'm just gonna let that slide!? I'll get you if one of us is weaker because of you!"

Applejack watched and carefully set Rarity down before charging at Ragnarok "Hey! Let 'er go, ya jerk!" When she knew that Ragnarok wasn't using Crona as a shield, Applejack turned around and reared her hindlegs back before landing a good hit on Ragnarok's face, causing him to drop his hold on Fluttershy.

Ragnarok froze after getting hit before slowly focusing his eyes on Applejack "Why...you..." He went to lunge at the farmpony, but was held in place when he was covered in a magical aura courtesy of Twilight. The two mares glared at Ragnarok while he struggled.

Crona looked up in awe "Huh? Ragnarok?" When it spotted Twilight's horn, the ambiguous pony's eyes widened "How are you doing that?"

Twilight grunted while Ragnarok struggled in her hold "It's just a simple telekinetic spell. No offense, Crona, but Ragnarok really needs to learn some manners."

Fluttershy straightened her mane and looked over at Ragnarok flailing about while yelling obscenities, feeling threatened over his sudden retaliation 'This is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Crona is nice, but Ragnarok is very mean...' She stared until she took a deep breath 'No, I can't let that discourage me. Crona needs our help to be kept in good spirits.'

Rainbow Dash flew back with an exhausted look on her face, which vanished when she got a look at Ragnarok "Did I miss something?"

Applejack snorted "Ragnarok here was hurtin' Fluttershy, but me an' Twi gave 'im what for!"

Rainbow Dash instantly flew down towards Ragnarok with anger in her eyes "They said you hurt Fluttershy? You better be lucky Twilight's holding you down!"

Fluttershy hummed before she turned to Applejack "Umm...Why don't we head back to Sweet Apple Acres? I would feel horrible to have your food go to waste."

Applejack sighed before smiling at Fluttershy "Good point. Maybe we should head back." She narrowed her eyes at Ragnarok "Though a part o' me wants t' call it a day with HIM around..."

Fluttershy shook her head "I'm sure it won't be no trouble at all."

"What?" Rainbow Dash said incredulously "Fluttershy, this giant zit was hurting you, and you're just gonna ignore that?"

Fluttershy held her mane "Yes, I know he did, and I'm still disappointed with what he's done. But maybe he needs some time to adjust."

Applejack shook her head "Y'all 're gettin' too nice fer somepony like Ragnarok, sugarcube."

Twilight grunted again while Ragnarok continued to struggle "I agree. Something tells me that Ragnarok's gonna be more difficult to adjust."

Ragnarok continued to flail and shout until he was losing energy, his actions becoming more haggard and sloppy. When he was finished, he slumped his arms and began to catch his breath. Twilight relinquished her hold on him and heaved a sigh of relief as she rubbed her head.

"Souls..."

The mares, Crona, and Ragnarok turned to Pinkie Pie, who sat with a pensive stare at the ground "What would souls taste like..." She looked at her friends "Would they be good?"

Everypony except Crona and Ragnarok thought to question Pinkie's sanity after her question. To draw them from their fears, Discord teleported back conveniently "Okay, so it turns out that Spike was actually doing fine along with everypony else. I already told them that the manticore's gone, so they should get back to their normal lives without any trouble."

Crona blinked at Discord "It's that easy for them?"

Discord shrugged "It wouldn't be the first time Ponyville was met with something big." He smiled "Though I'm guilty of some of the more recent events."

"Yeah, like the part where you're not telling us about your knowledge of souls." Twilight snarked with a gaze that demanded answers.

Discord flinched and looked away "Oh blitznak..."

Rainbow Dash dropped to the ground and picked up Rarity, lightly shaking her and waking her up "Why don't we talk back at AJ's place?" She looked away "I'll pass on the food, though. I'm not really that hungry after what I just saw."

Rarity murmured and rubbed her eyes before she looked at Rainbow Dash "What did you see, Rainbow?"

Rainbow Dash gave Rarity a deadpan stare "You don't wanna know..."
_____

At Sweet Apple Acres, the group enjoyed their food that was prepared by Applejack and Pinkie Pie, although they didn't approve of Ragnarok's lack of table manners, especially Rarity.

When they got their fill, they all stared at Discord with expectant glances, waiting for him to start his tale. He sighed and spread his arms "Before I begin, this doesn't leave the table. Understood?" He earned the nods of his audience "You all know what you saw back there. What you DON'T know is that there are more than just one kind of soul."

He held up his claw and paw, and two objects that resembled souls rested in his palms; in his lion paw was a blue soul; his eagle claw held a red soul "There's a saying...A sound soul lies within a sound mind-"

"And a sound body..." Crona finished in a whisper "Maka would always tell that to me whenever we study together."

Discord nodded "That's correct, but there's more to my explanation." He raised his lion paw "This soul is the sound soul I'm talking about. See its pure blue hue and its vibrant brightness. These are the good souls that can be found in the nicest of creatures." He then raised his eagle claw with a frown "Then you have these bad seeds called 'kishin eggs'. These are corrupted souls that dwell within history's greatest monsters."

Pinkie grinned "So Raggy did us a service in eating a bad soul!" She then frowned "But wouldn't they taste bad?"

Ragnarok waved a paw "Of course not! The flavor of souls depend on their strength. I should know..."

The two souls in Discord's claws disappeared "Yes, well that kind of thing varies from different creatures, but I digress." He pointed a claw "There is one more soul that is more of a rarity than your friend Rarity..."

Rarity blinked "What could that be?"

Discord squinted his eyes "A witch's soul..." He brought his lion paw forth to conjure a soul, though it was coated in a malevolent purple; the wisp resembled a witch's hat "These babies are few and far between, simply because there hasn't been any records of witches in Equestria."

Rainbow Dash raised a hoof "Does Queen Chrysalis count?"

Discord laughed before calming himself "No, not exactly, but that was a good one." He chuckled as he made the soul vanish "But those kinds of souls reside in feminine beings with uncanny magical abilities..."

Crona frowned "Like Lady Medusa..."

Discord nodded "Yes, like old Snake-eyes. There isn't much to worry about though, since they aren't exactly a dime a dozen." He leaned in to whisper in Crona's ear "Watch out for Twilight, though..."

"Discord!" came the firm voices of Twilight and Fluttershy, to which the draconequus grinned sheepishly before moving back to his spot "Anyways, that's all I can tell you about souls. There isn't much to gain from eating them, and I trust that none of you would go on a killing spree..." He turned to Crona, then blinked "I should probably keep tabs on you while we're hanging out."

Fluttershy smiled "That won't be necessary, Discord. Crona's gonna be around us, so it won't be any trouble." She frowned "But as far as the manticore..."

Discord patted Fluttershy's head "We're over that, remember? There's no use in letting that bother us when we've been through so much in just one day." He looked at the group "Just show the little one around, talk with other ponies, and make sure you all have a fun time."

Pinkie grinned "In that case, I should probably throw Crona a 'Welcome to Ponyville' party later on tonight!"

Crona looked at Pinkie "You would...throw a party for me?"

Pinkie giggled "Of course, silly! How else would we greet a new friend?"

Each of the group smiled at Crona, and it looked back and felt a wave of nostalgia over how they would welcome a duo of complete strangers without hesitation. The ambiguous pony was driven to smile back at them with a small giggle 'Maybe I shouldn't rush going back to Death City...They're all so nice to me. I think things will be much better if I stay with them for a little bit...'

End of Chapter 8

Author's Note:

[Meanwhile, in another universe...]

That's right, someone is gonna eat a lady. That's exactly what that face is for...nothing else...:pinkiecrazy:

Also, looks like somepony's ready to try new things...:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy: