• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 8,878 Views, 550 Comments

"I don't know how to deal with this!" - Dirty Bit



This is a story about madness; Madness and black blood.

  • ...
15
 550
 8,878

Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Surrender to the Snake! Medusa's Comeback Plot?

Gilda's home wasn't the most glamorous, as with most griffon residents, but it was at least hospitable for any company she wished to invite. However, while she didn't mind the company in her home, Gilda mentally kicked herself for making it the base of operations for her new 'superior'. She lounged on her sofa and observed how Medusa was taking in the scenery of her home while Lightning Dust trotted in and joined Gilda in sitting down.

"For a brash girl, you know how to keep a house clean. I'm impressed." Medusa said halfheartedly after she finished surveying the living room, earning a bitter scowl from Gilda.

"Would you just get to the point, please? We're here now, aren't we?" Gilda said impatiently. She watched Medusa lightly exhale before she gripped the cowl of her cloak with a hoof.

"Of course, but allow me to rid myself of this cloak. Knowing that I'm in the presence of trustworthy individuals, I can finally take this off." Medusa then took off her cloak, revealing the black hoodie underneath, complete with its prehensile arrow-shaped tail. She examined the snake tattoos on her forelegs with a smile "Much better. It was getting rather warm in that thing."

"Okay, now I see why you were wearing that cloak. You're freaky!" Lightning Dust said with a wince as she watched the tail protruding from Medusa's hoodie give a flick.

"Welcome to my world..." Gilda muttered, sharing Lightning Dust's sentiments and gawking at Medusa's appearance. Medusa merely giggled at their respective expressions.

"If I weren't so self-conscious about my image, perhaps I could show this to the rest of the world. But I digress..." She turned to Gilda and Lightning Dust with a playful smile, though carried a serious gleam in her eyes "Let's get down to business. I have a big… project in the works that would require a gratuitous amount of study, planning, and running around." She looked over at Lightning Dust "This may seem bland for an opening statement, but perhaps you'll be convinced as I go into detail."

"Sure, just make sure I don't fall asleep." Lightning Dust snarked as she rested her cheek on a foreleg. Medusa huffed, though smirked at the pegasus nonetheless.

"Let me ask you two a question..." Medusa said, pausing before she continued "Are you two bored of this world?"

"More than you'd know, lady." Gilda answered coolly, "It's the same old song and dance for me, and nothing interesting usually happens around here. I could use a little more excitement now and then." She explained, although thoughts of her encounter with Medusa lingered in her mind.

"Sort of the same thing with me." Lightning Dust answered before turning away with a distant glance "Though apparently too much excitement doesn't fly with other ponies." Medusa's grin widened.

"Then in that case, you'd be happy to know that my 'project' is bound to grant you what you desire so long as you follow my lead. I, as a scientist, also wish to enforce a change of pace onto this world. To do so, we're going to travel abroad and gather intel to further our goals of obtaining a key."

"A key?" Lightning Dust asked quizzically, "What kind of key?"

"This 'key' is the same one used to change this world and thereby issue more excitement to it. We're to find a source of power so great that it could grant us this wish." Medusa eyed Lightning Dust and Gilda in deadpan, "Knowing the two of you, we may have to search long and hard, as well as purchase some supplies that would aid us to our benefit."

"Does this mean I'm gonna have to dip into my life-savings for your sake?" Lightning Dust said with an arched eyebrow, "I know I want more excitement in my life, but I never really agreed to some psycho babble about changing the world, let alone funding that mumbo-jumbo." She awaited a reaction of disappointment from Medusa, only to find her closing her eyes with a patient smile.

"I had a feeling you would say that. You know, I'm not exactly forcing you to partake in this little project of mine, but I'd gladly give you time to think about it." The witch said as she opened her eyes at Gilda and Lightning Dust "In fact, perhaps I can tempt you with some more info tomorrow while you think it over?" She looked eerily playful as she closed her eyes again with a giddy smile, "We could even have a sleepover!" Lightning Dust craned her head back as she stared at Medusa.

"Oooookay~..." She looked over at Gilda, "As creepy as she sounds, are you down with me staying here tonight? I mean, for as much as I've visited, I'd probably be your roommate at this point." This earned a chuckle from Gilda.

"Got that right. But at least you're okay in my book. Sure, I wouldn't mind you crashing here. It's not like neither of us have nothing better to do." The griffon replied. The two were unaware of Medusa's fixed smile.

'You have no idea...' Medusa thought deviously "Well, then I'll gladly take you up on your generous offer myself. You've already invited me in here, after all." Gilda frowned at Medusa.

"Yeah, but I only got the one bed. Sorry, but you're gonna have to sleep on the floor while Dust has the sofa. Don't exactly run a motel here, you know..." Gilda said matter-of-factly.

"I do not mind it in the slightest." Medusa said as she gave a curt and polite bow "Thank you for letting me stay here."

"Whatever..." Gilda said as she waved a claw. As lucky as she was to remain calm the whole time, she was troubled by what was to come if Medusa was actually serious about her ambition and wanting Lightning Dust to tag along whether she wanted to or not. She figured it was best to try and mingle with Medusa and stay on her good side if it meant keeping her entertained.
_____

Party blowers and cheers rang through the room in Applejack's barn as several ponies inside were having a moment of merriment in celebration of both Crona's arrival and Discord's aid in rescuing the pony folk in their time of need. While Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Crona were enjoying the party, her friends were busy having a conversation amongst themselves over how to sort out the issue with the reason behind the manticore attack and Crona's possession of Ragnarok.

"Okay..." Twilight said after taking a deep breath "As thrilled as I am for Ponyville's safety thanks to Crona-"

"And Discord." Discord interrupted smugly, earning a small glare from Twilight.

"It's going to be even harder to have Crona adjust to Ponyville, let alone Ragnarok, knowing that their black blood had almost cost the lives of innocent ponies," Twilight pointed out with mild anxiety, "If Princess Celestia found out about this, how do you suppose she would react to this?" Upon unconsciously mentioning the princess, Twilight's anxiety began to grow "Oh no...Even SHE wouldn't condone that type of action. What do we do?" She mewled as she shivered profusely. A orange hoof on her shoulder managed to calm her down a little.

"Simmer down, sugarcube. This is just as much our problem as it is yers." Applejack said comfortingly before looking serious, "This is a bit of a pickle we're in, though. Th' poor guy'll be chased outta town iffin' word got out that it was his blood that caused all this, an' we can't jus' relocate Crona since he's still adjustin' t' Ponyville."

"I can't believe how complicated this got in one day." Rainbow Dash complained "What's the plan to make sure Crona doesn't come off as a… a… pear… parry..." Rainbow Dash looked down in thought at the proper word she was searching for.

"Pariah?" Twilight guessed inquisitively.

"Yeah, what you said. There's gotta be something to make Ponyville look the other way." She looked over at Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Crona dancing together. The former was carefully assisting the sword pony as it tried to move properly in a dance "I mean, look at her. You think she'd be able to take being labeled as a freak?"

"As much as I'm uncomfortable with the situation myself, I, too, am open to suggestions." Rarity said as she donned a sympathetic look, "Who are we to look after the poor dear without a plan?"

"I'm certain we won't have to worry too much about the manticore's passing, what with everypony having a good time and all." Discord said, "The only thing that matters is having all of Ponyville cope with the fact that Crona's carrying a talking cyst around that shows itself at will." He said as a reddening bump began to grow on his forehead, popping and revealing a small Discord sticking out and cackling in a high-pitched voice.

"That's right..." Twilight said anxiously "We still have Ragnarok to deal with. Between his behavior and the rest of Ponyville reacting negatively to the most obscure happenings, we'll either have to work out a compromise with Ragnarok or show him to Ponyville for all to see and hope for positive feedback." She held a deep frown, "Worst case scenario, we're gonna be met with copious amounts of problems knowing the respective success rates of both plans..." She murmured bitterly.

"Poppycock." Applejack said with a confident smirk "Th' first plan's doable enough. We jus' gotta convince 'im real good is all."

"It would probably mean having to feed Ragnarok more...souls, wouldn't it?" Rarity said with a disgusted shudder "I'm still shaken from such a vile display, even from him." Applejack shook her head.

"No no no, not souls, Rarity. Jus' some food. We all know how much he loves t' be fed, so we could do that t' keep 'im occupied, or we could talk it out with Pinkie, Fluttershy an' Crona, too, since they're jus' as involved as we are."

"Here's hoping that jerky pimple would listen to us." Rainbow Dash said with a small scowl, "Something tells me he's just gonna mess it up for the heck of it. Besides, knowing the fact that he and Crona share the same body, it's gonna happen sooner or later, isn't it?"

"Good point..." Twilight murmured as she rubbed her chin with a forehoof "Let's just settle this while we have the time." She looked over to Discord, who had his eagle claw in a snapping gesture while smirking playfully.

"Three ponies and one demon sword coming right up." Discord quipped before he snapped his talons. In a flash of light, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Crona had joined the group sitting at a table, the former pouting irritably.

"Hey! We were dancing!" Pinkie comically complained.

"Why are we sitting here all of the sudden?" Crona looked around before focusing on Discord, frowning at him "Discord, you could've warned me first. I don't know how to deal with sudden movements." The swordpony complained.

"It was easier that way." Discord shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"We're sorry for disturbing you three, but we just needed to talk things over with you." Twilight said with a serious gaze, "We need a plan for Crona and Ragnarok to adjust to Ponyville without coming off as suspicious or threatening, given their earlier performance. We don't really have much to work with other than keeping Ragnarok dormant in public or having all of Ponyville get used to his appearance."

"Personally, I don't see the harm in the latter. After all, they've gotten used to me, haven't they?" Discord said encouragingly.

"Yes, but only because of your reckless mischief and the fact that ponies have been aware of you for the longest time." Twilight stated tersely, causing Discord to give off a mock frown.

"Um...Why don't we let Crona decide?" Fluttershy offered, looking to her left at Crona with a smile "After all, between Crona and Ragnarok, it falls on what they feel is the most comfortable."

"You're damn right it is!"

Much to the element bearers' dismay, Ragnarok erupted out of Crona's back and crossed his arms at the ponies. He completely ignored the many stares he was receiving from the other ponies.

"I'll admit, I was open to your offer of feeding me whenever I want, but that's not gonna stop me from staying inside of Crona all the time! I'd say Fluttershy's the smartest out of all of you." Ragnarok jibed, turning his head away in a snide fashion.

As much as Rainbow Dash wanted to knock Ragnarok upside the head, she realized that the demon sword had drawn the attention of everypony in Applejack's barn. Crona looked around at the crowd before developing the urge to hide.

Discord, for his part, acted quickly and directed his lion paw and eagle claw to Ragnarok with a look of feigned amusement "Ta-da~!" All of the ponies stared at Discord and murmured with looks of displeasure before going back and enjoying their party. The element bearers heaved sighs of relief while Crona tried to process what had just happened.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but nice save, Discord." Rainbow Dash said calmly, albeit begrudgingly.

"Well, you know me; appearances and whatnot." Discord replied before smirking coyly at the cyan pegasus "You're not the only one who can steal a show, you know." He savored the look in Rainbow Dash's narrowed eyes.

"Don't push it..." Rainbow Dash muttered in agitation.

"I don't get it." Crona turned to the others, "Do they all hate me? They all looked mad. What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing of the sort, darling." Rarity said with a reassuring smile "Let's just say that now you can walk around Ponyville without having to conceal Ragnarok." She gave a distasteful look at the demon sword "As bittersweet as that sounds."

"Bite me!" Ragnarok snapped.

"I still don't understand. What made them all look away like that? I thought something bad was about to happen to me." Crona said while looking down and grasping its left foreleg with its right hoof.

"Long story short," Applejack said in a straight tone "they thought that Ragnarok was Discord's doin'. That is, y'all was about t' be exposed until Discord swooped in an' made it look like he made Ragnarok come out."

"I have to say that it was a bold move on your part, Discord." Twilight said with a smile "I guess you aren't all bad." The draconequus laughed mirthfully.

"Oh, Twilight, since when was I ever-" He noticed all of the ponies shooting deadpan looks his way, save for Crona and Ragnarok "...I was gonna say prior to my reformation, but fine, give me the stink eye. See if I care." Discord looked away with a mock pout.

"Reformation?" Crona said "From what?"

"Remember our story when we used the elements on Discord?" Pinkie asked "He used to be the biggest meanie pants you'll ever see, and after we turned him into stone, Princess Celestia decided to free him and have Fluttershy make him one of the good guys!" Pinkie explained jubilantly.

"All he needed was a good friend to turn his life around." Fluttershy said warmly with a smile to match. Crona had a look of realization.

"Wow… So… Discord's kind of like me in a way." Crona said, earning the perplexed stares of the ponies and draconequus "I..." The swordpony hesitated before looking down "Back then, I was ordered around by Lady Medusa to eat plenty of souls and become a kishin. I had no control of myself, and even with Ragnarok, it was hard for me to deal with anything." Crona flashed another nostalgic smile "...And that's when Maka came along. She became my friend and helped guide me in the right direction."

"Not to mention she made me look like this!" Ragnarok chimed in, although irritably "I missed being big and powerful."

"I'd very much love to meet this Maka for myself, if she had indeed saved you from a life of misery." Rarity said cheerfully.

"Me too. She already seemed like a nice gal before." Applejack added.

"Not that it matters as much, but what's a kishin?" Rainbow Dash asked inquisitively "Doesn't sound very good if it means having to maintain a soul diet." She placed a hoof on her chest and stuck her tongue out as she made a gagging noise in disgust.

"I don't really know myself." Crona said truthfully "Lady Medusa just keeps mentioning it to herself when I'm around her sometimes. All she ever does is want me to kill things and eat souls."

"Okay, first off, how sick is your mother, and secondly, why even call her Lady Medusa when you have nothing to do with her anymore?" Rainbow Dash said incredulously.

"And what do souls taste like?" Pinkie asked, only to have her friends chorus her name impatiently. Discord simply hid his face while snickering.

"I guess it's just a habit with me. She was my mother, after all. I had no one else until Maka came into my life..." Crona looked down despondently.

"Hey! No frowny faces!" Pinkie said as she grasped Crona by the cheeks "We got a party to enjoy, and I can't have the guest of honor be down in the dumps." Pinkie smiled and hopped onto her hooves "Now let's go dance some more. It's a surefire way to make you feel loads better!"

Crona looked over at Fluttershy, and after sharing a smile, the two rose from their seats and followed Pinkie onto the dance floor, while Ragnarok grew bored to the point of sinking back into the swordpony's body. Discord stroked his goatee as he watched them go.

'Wonder how Celestia's doing on her end. Perhaps I'll hit her up when I'm not busy...' Discord thought to himself before he donned a smile and snapped his talons, appearing in a disco suit "If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em! The dance floor beckons!" He said with a chortle as he flew after the others. The rest of the group followed suit, wanting to contribute into making Crona feel welcome, even if their friend had a dark past.
_____

Later that night, Fluttershy, Discord, and Crona were retreating back to the cottage after an exuberant party thrown by Pinkie Pie. Much to Fluttershy's satisfaction, Crona was seen with a small, but bright smile on its face. Discord, for his part, was equally satisfied in his own way as he hovered over the two ponies.

"Another excellent party, if I do say so myself. I managed to have all the fun I want and nopony bellyached about it too much." Discord said as he examined his eagle claw while his lion paw rested on his hip.

"It really was fun." Crona hung its head, though kept its smile "I never thought Pinkie would even throw a party for me."

"I'm glad you're both happy." Fluttershy said warmly, "Maybe tomorrow will be no different from today."

"Am I hearing a wish for time to stand still?" Discord quipped "Cuz I can do it, you know..."

"Now, Discord, you shouldn't joke like that." Fluttershy chided softly, though she almost laughed at his joke, "Besides, I'd like for you to be there for Crona when we'll be taking care of the animals tomorrow."

"You mean those animals you were feeding?" Crona asked.

"That's right. I'm sure they'll just love you when you get to know them." Fluttershy looked over at Crona, "Maybe you'd like to keep one of them as a pet." She said as she and the group reached the door to her cottage. Fluttershy opened it up and allowed for the three to step inside.

"I don't know if I could handle keeping a pet. I never had one before." Crona said as it looked around the living room at the many birdhouses "Besides, I don't think I'm ready to care for any animals just yet."

"You will in time. We'll be there to help you." She looked up at Discord "Won't we, Discord?"

"Oh, of course. I wouldn't dream of leading you astray, dear Crona." Discord grinned exuberantly and held out a claw "What do you say? Friends?" He watched as Crona eyed Discord's claw carefully and slowly inched a foreleg to meet one of its talons. The draconequus merely stared blankly at the gesture before shrugging "Eh, close enough." Fluttershy giggled before she ended up yawning.

"Oh my...Perhaps it is getting late. Why don't we all retire for the night?" Fluttershy proposed to her friends.

"But...where will I sleep?" Crona asked with a tilted head. Fluttershy donned a friendly smile.

"You can sleep with me if you want. I don't mind at all." She watched as Crona inched away and began to blush profusely.

"I never actually slept with someone other than Ragnarok before..." Crona said in embarrassment.

"I don't mind in the slightest. If you're not comfortable, you can always have my bed while I sleep on the sofa with Discord." Fluttershy offered.

"Oh, say yes, dear Crona!" Discord piped up as he swooped Fluttershy off her feet and held her close, nuzzling her cheek with a smile, "Fluttershy here makes for a good teddy bear whenever I get the chance to sleep with her." Crona blinked at the display of affection before looking down and fidgeting its forehooves.

"Well, I don't feel happy kicking Fluttershy out of her bed, and she's already done so much for me, so maybe I'll..." Crona blushed again, "I'll try and sleep with her."

"So much for having my good teddy bear." Discord said in disappointment as he set down Fluttershy, "Looks like I'll have to improvise." He snapped his talons and a beat-up plushie of himself appeared in the grasp of his lion paw, as well as a nightcap on his head. "Hope you two have a good sleep." The draconequus hovered towards the sofa and coiled himself up before laying upside down on it, closing his eyes with a content sigh.

"We should get going, too." Fluttershy said as she trotted towards the stairs "Follow me, Crona. My bedroom's upstairs." The two ponies went up the stairs and Crona was led to a bedroom that held a fireplace, and some bird nests on the ceiling beams. There was a chest at the end of a comfortable looking bed, to which Crona felt drowsy by just looking at it. Fluttershy caught Crona rubbing its eyes and smiled "I can see you're pretty tired. Let's get you tucked in." She said as she guided the swordpony towards the bed.

Fluttershy grabbed the blanket with her teeth and moved it out for the two to get on and tuck themselves in. Crona felt more relaxed than ever after feeling the plush mattress on its back, humming pleasantly as it wriggled deeper into the sheets.

"Good night, Crona. I hope you sleep well." Fluttershy whispered before shutting her eyes.

"Good night, Fluttershy..." Crona smiled at the gesture, then hesitantly snuggled closer to Fluttershy, who gently embraced the swordpony as its head rested against her chest. As seconds passed, Crona saw fit to shut its eyes and drift off to sleep without a problem.

Fluttershy had never been so happy to care for a pony in need. Despite what had happened, she managed to get her wish.

End of Chapter 10

Author's Note:

All of this activity, and poor Spike is still sitting in the library :trollestia:

No worries, though. He'll be back in the spotlight soon enough.

Enjoy this chapter, friends. Peace! :twilightsmile: