• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 8,873 Views, 550 Comments

"I don't know how to deal with this!" - Dirty Bit



This is a story about madness; Madness and black blood.

  • ...
15
 550
 8,873

Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Clipping the Wings! Backed into a Corner?

Lightning Dust had slept soundly on the sofa in Gilda's living room while the window above it was showing a clear view of the moon, which cast a trail of moonlight into the living room down to the floor as the opal pegasus shifted in her sleep. She made it her goal to head out of Gilda's house first thing in the morning to avoid anymore seemingly scientific banter and talk of partnership towards a complete stranger, especially one as creepy as Medusa.

Before she even decided on sleeping at her house, she could only wonder about the circumstances of how Gilda and Medusa have met. Lightning Dust wasn't entirely fond of her only friend actually leaving her in the dark and having her so-called assistant doing the talking. She thought it'd be best to prod her friend for more answers once they have some time alone later tomorrow.

As she was sleeping, however, a shadow slowly emerged from the darkness and approached the slumbering pony without making a sound. It closed in on Lightning Dust with a malicious air and an active tendril slowly advancing towards her mouth. The shadow had a wide and toothy grin before it was about to finish the job...
_____

Crona instantly rose from Fluttershy's bed with a gasp, hyperventilating with widened eyes as it held the covers tightly. A chill traveled down its spine as it tried to forget what could have been a nasty nightmare.

Looking outside the window, the swordpony noticed it was morning, then looked down at the bed to see that Fluttershy was gone. Crona took a deep breath to regain its composure as it went to leave the bed.

"Crona?"

The ebony pony yelped in surprise upon hearing its name to see Fluttershy at the door looking concerned.

"Oh my, I'm sorry...I was just about to wake you up." Fluttershy said penitently.

"No, it's okay. I woke up myself." Crona said with a sigh as it rose from the bed and rubbed its eyes before approaching Fluttershy.

"Well, I hope you're hungry. Breakfast is waiting for you downstairs." Fluttershy said with a smile before she turned and left the room. Crona just stood there and looked back at the bed, contemplating on what might happen in the future before following Fluttershy outside of the room.

As they went downstairs, the scent of a good meal wafted in Crona's nostrils while it looked around at the many animals staring back with intrigue, with the exception of Angel, who kept a wary eye on Crona despite being spooked by Ragnarok the other day.

The dining room was as clean as ever, and the table was seen with a jar of strawberry jam and some silverware. When Crona sat itself down on the chair, it finally noticed something amiss while Fluttershy was preparing a breakfast consisting of toast and orange juice.

"Where's Discord? Shouldn't he be here with us?" Crona asked. Fluttershy trotted towards the table, balancing one plate on her head and another on her back.

"I don't know, really. Discord's usually out and about sometimes, not that I don't mind it. We should be happy he's even reformed for us." Fluttershy said as she carefully set the plat on her head down onto the table, then doing the same with the second plate "I hope you and Ragnarok like the food I've prepared. There's not much here at the moment, but we'll go shopping some time tomorrow."

"Thank you, Fluttershy." Crona responded politely before nibbling on a piece of toast. Ragnarok sprung out of his master's back and stretched his arms.

"Haven't had good sleep like that in ages." He then noticed the food on the table and showed his teeth in a voracious grin "Alright, food!" Ragnarok said as he lapped up his pieces of toast in one lick and chewed loudly.

Fluttershy wasn't entirely pleased with Ragnarok's table manners, but she should at least take comfort in the fact that she was caring for a human-turned-pony from a far away world. She hoped that Crona's stay in Equestria, her cottage especially, would be as enjoyable as possible, even if she had the help of her friends to make it happen. Fluttershy donned an embarrassed smile over Ragnarok's poor eating habits before looking over at Crona.

"I'll be sure to give you seconds if you're still hungry. Perhaps you can help me with the animals later, if that's alright with you." Fluttershy said, to which Crona blinked at Fluttershy.

"You think I'll do well with them? I don't know if they're used to me yet." Crona said feebly.

"It's alright. I'll be at your side, so you'll be fine." Fluttershy assured with a warm smile "I'll walk you through what you need to do, and soon enough, it'll be easy for you in the future."

"Why do we need to feed animals when we need to be fed, too? Are we getting paid for this, or something?" Ragnarok asked rudely.

"Umm...Well...Not really. I just enjoy caring for all the animals is all." Fluttershy replied as she looked over at the docile creatures in her living room "It is my special talent, after all, and I really like my job."

"So you do all of this without getting paid? How stupid are you?" Ragnarok spat, to which Fluttershy recoiled and looked down with a hurt expression. Crona flinched and instantly rose from its chair to comfort Fluttershy frantically.

"I-I'm sorry! Ragnarok didn't mean that! Your job's as nice as you!" Crona quickly said, causing Fluttershy to look up at the swordpony in mild surprise before giving a thin smile.

"It's no trouble, Crona. I just have to get used to the way Ragnarok acts the same way you have. Just finish your food and you can meet me outside." Fluttershy said as she went into the kitchen and looked for her many bags of animal feed.

"So she honestly spends her time caring for animals? Who has time for all of that?" Ragnarok whispered.

"I don't see the problem with it. Fluttershy cared for us, didn't she?" Crona stifled a pained moan when Ragnarok gave his master a noogie with both paws in anger.

"I'm not an animal, you moron!"
______

Celestia trotted along the halls by herself, thinking about what to do for the time being before it was appropriate for her to break the news to Crona. She felt that her private matter would go along swimmingly, but much to her chagrin, there was more to Crona's appearance in Equestria than what she had thought. A sigh escaped her lips as she pondered the best way to explain to Crona about what she had gathered...

"Sister?"

The solar princess stopped to hear a voice behind her, and noticed a midnight blue alicorn smaller than her. Her mane and tail were even similar to Celestia's, only it was a flowing ocean of stars. She wore an onyx chestplate and tiara, ice blue shoes, and her cutie mark consisted of a crescent moon surrounded by blackness.

"You seem troubled. Are you still on about what you've revealed to me the other day?" She asked in concern.

"Indeed it is, Luna. I'm at a loss for what to do about Crona once the time comes." Celestia said as she shook her head slowly "All I can hope for is that Twilight and her friends make it to where Crona is comfortable enough to bear the news regarding to returning to Death City."

"Ah, yes. I've yet to look into little Crona's mind for myself. A pity that I wasn't around to catch a glimpse of that pony with my own eyes." Luna nodded in confirmation before looking at Celestia "Perhaps you require my assistance on the matter? How can I be of service pertaining to your situation?"

"You needn't fuss about it, Luna; the issue's been slightly resolved, albeit in a less satisfactory manner. It all depends on how Crona takes the news." Celestia closed her eyes "But we'll need some time before we arrange another meeting."

"I'm sure you can squeeze one into your tight schedule."

Celestia and Luna perked up at the male voice that echoed in the halls before a light flashed above them and faded to reveal a floating Discord holding a clipboard, reading it with a feigned expression of boredom behind a pair of glasses.

"Of course, I wouldn't want to be evil and cut into your precious cake time. We all know how much you love your cake, Celly." Discord said before sneaking in a smile, much to the displeasure of the white alicorn below her. Meanwhile, Luna stifled a giggle while covering her mouth with a hoof.

"That was uncalled for, Discord. Shouldn't you be back with Fluttershy looking after Crona?" Celestia asked.

"Why do you think I'm here?" Discord replied as his clipboard and glasses vanished into thin air "I figured you wouldn't mind a little info swap with Yours Truly revolving around our new guest. You don't mind, do you?" Discord asked innocently, although his eyes had deeper intentions hidden within. Celestia and Luna had both managed to catch on before the former nodded.

"Not at all. We'll converse in the throne room." Celestia said curtly before the trio made for the throne room in silence. After reaching the large doors leading to their destination, they opened them and went inside, making sure that nopony was around. Luna then shut the doors behind her before looking up at Discord.

"This isn't like you to be so direct with certain issues, Discord. What do you have to share with us?" Luna asked, to which the draconequus smirked and wiggled a talon.

"I believe the saying goes 'Ladies first', if I recall." He then turned to Celestia, raising an expectant eyebrow "Celestia, if you will?"

"Regarding today? Well, I've managed to make contact with the one responsible for sending Crona into Equestria. It really is none other than Lord Death himself." Discord and Luna's eyes widened.

"The­ Lord Death? Surely, you jest, sister!" Luna exclaimed in shock.

"It's all true. And the worst part is that Crona and Ragnarok's return to their original world-"

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, back up for a moment." Discord said as he tilted his head at Celestia "Since when did you know about Ragnarok?"

"I'll admit that it wasn't when I first met Crona, but rather from what I gathered from Lord Death himself." Celestia shook her head "I've never imagined two different beings sharing the same body; and with tainted blood no less. The explanation was even more gruesome to hear."

"Oh, you're referring to that Medusa character? I'd say we're lucky if we don't find her here." Discord said with a laidback grin "I mean, it's not like some divine force would manage to bring her here for Crona to try and settle the score, right?"
_____

Back in Ponyville, a zebracorn wearing a top hat let off a sneeze while fiddling with an old typewriter in his house.
_____

"Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that Crona and Ragnarok are unable to go back to their own world." Celestia looked saddened as she hung her head "It pains me to have them remain in Equestria, far away from their old friends and without any hope of return." she said morosely "As I've mentioned before, I dread the moment where I'll have to break the news to them."

"Don't fret, sister. Remember that we're at your side. I still need to make contact with Crona myself, after all." Luna said with an encouraging smile, to which her sister reciprocated. Discord stroked his goatee in thought.

"Say, you still have that old mirror of yours in your room, right? Was that how you made contact with Lord Death?" Discord asked inquisitively. Celestia gave a curt nod in response "Why not ease Crona's - and maybe Ragnarok's - spirits by allowing them access to your mirror? Maybe that should cushion the blow for when you see them again." Celestia blinked before smiling at Discord.

"It's funny you say that, really. Lord Death mentioned a promise of letting his star pupil do the same thing." Her smile wavered "Hopefully, it'll be enough for them."

"Hey, we'll never know until we try, correct?" Discord asked rhetorically before laying back in the air with his claws behind his head "And besides, better sooner than never. You wouldn't want to stretch things out too much, do you?"

"You know, Discord. While Celestia has been rather gratuitous with her information, you've yet to share yours? How are Crona and Ragnarok faring in Ponyville?" Luna piped up curiously, to which Discord's expression slightly shifted.

"Oh yeah, I forgot..." Discord then got up from his resting position and rubbed the back of his head "You said that Lord Death filled you in on Crona's capabilities, right? Well, the funny thing about that is..."
_____

"Black blood? Crona has black blood?" Spike asked with a bemused expression. He was slightly sore at Twilight and her friends having a party without him the other day, but what he had been shared with today has piqued his curiosity, especially since it involved the swordpony in question.

"That's right, Spike." Twilight replied as she went through a book as she sat on her sofa "Crona has a special black blood that's capable of certain abilities that could prove harmful to other ponies if they were to manifest it into their own system. Not to mention there's this intriguing, but rude creature named Ragnarok who lives inside of Crona's body." Spike's eyes widened before he bared his teeth in a shudder.

"That's just too creepy...and Crona's afraid of me because I bring out some unpleasant memories? Talk about weird." Spike said as he scratched his head.

"I know this might be a lot to take in, but with enough time and effort, maybe Crona will be able to adjust to you. We just need to take this one step at a time." Twilight said reassuringly "That is, if Princess Celestia still hasn't managed to find a way to send Crona and Ragnarok home."

"When do you think that'll be?" Spike asked.

"I'm not so sure, Spike. Things like this can take long periods of time." Twilight said before smiling "But it's more than enough to make sure Crona and Ragnarok enjoy themselves." Her smile wavered "Or at least Crona, if it's not so difficult." Her ear twitched as she heard the library's front door open to reveal a stressed out pink mare with a blonde mane and a flower cutie mark. She was seen with a saddlebag bearing a flower pattern.

"Twilight? Do you have any books on stress relief, by any chance?" She asked anxiously, to which Twilight got up from her seat, but not before closing her book with a bookmark.

"Certainly, Lily." She sifted through her shelves with a concerned frown "This isn't like you to come to the library looking for stress relief. Haven't you been practicing your breathing exercises and enjoying some time at the spa?"

"Those can only work for so long with what Daisy and I are dealing with at the moment." Lily said as her ears folded back.

"Daisy, too? What's wrong?" Twilight said, momentarily looking back at Lily with interest. The flower mare merely took a deep breath before explaining.

"It's just, Roseluck left for Griffhala on a small sightseeing trip, promising to come back two days ago. Needless to say, we're getting worried she might be caught up in some nasty business that might delay her return..."

"Oh, that is worrying news." Twilight replied in comprehension before going back to her bookshelves "I hope she'll be fine myself." After a short time, she managed to pull out a blue book with a confident smile, levitating it towards Lily's saddlebag "Here you go; Inner Calm's guide to Serenity. I hope things work out well for you and Daisy."

"I just want Roseluck to come back to Ponyville safe and sound. Her safety's all that matters to us. Thanks for the book, Twilight." Lily said before she made her way out, trying out her breathing exercises to ease her current mood.

"Wow...So much has been happening recently. Crona coming to Ponyville, Roseluck turning up missing, and didn't you mention a manticore attacking in town the other day?"

"Yes. That was when we assessed the black blood's power for ourselves. I'm sure it's the last time we'll be met with something like that, so now we can focus our efforts on Crona when we get the time."
_____

Lightning Dust stirred from her slumber with a groggy moan as she rubbed her eyes with a hoof. She got up and began to stretch her limbs, letting off a loud yawn while doing so. It might not be a luxurious experience, but it was satisfying to get some sleep on a nice couch once in a while. She looked down on the floor to see that Medusa was sleeping contently herself, frowning at her as she laid down.

'It's about time I go find Gilda, talk it over, and ditch this weirdo. The sooner the better.' Lightning Dust quietly hovered into the air and glided towards Gilda's room, finding the griffon on her own messy bed. She nudged Gilda awake, much to her friend's displeasure upon waking up, and whispered to her with a serious expression.

"Sorry, Gilda, but this is me saying that I don't want any part of all this junk. I don't know your relationship is with that scientist, but I have other places to be, and I sure as hay don't wanna be anywhere near her right now." Lightning Dust, feeling accomplished by her explanation, went to go leave, only to see Gilda's bitter gaze be replaced with one with mild worry.

"You're choosing to bail at sunrise?" Gilda hissed "Lightning, I know she can be creepy, but you can't just ditch me like this. I came to you for a reason!"

"What reason!?" Lightning Dust hissed back "All you've done was hang around that other pony like she matters to you while beating around the bush! I wanna know what made you feel the need to come to me like this, let alone with some crackpot and her unreachable dreams!"

"It's...It's hard to explain, alright?" Gilda shifted up to sit on her bed, with Lightning Dust joining her "I just don't wanna lose you like this, and there's more to this Medusa than you realize. This is really uncool for me to ask, but you gotta bear with me on this." Lightning Dust stared at Gilda and her uncharacteristically pleading glance for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"Alright, Gilda, I'll do it for you. But that doesn't mean I'll be willing to dive head first into this 'project' like I would my usual performance tricks; I got plenty of ways to spend my time, and this isn't one of them." Lightning Dust said reluctantly, somehow eliciting a sigh of relief from Gilda.

"Thanks...Maybe I can try and convince her to find somepony else so you won't have to deal with this whole thing." Gilda replied softly, satisfied with her friend's answer.

"Oh, that won't be necessary, Gilda."

The cheerful voice sent chills down Gilda and Lightning Dust, and they both turned to see Medusa smiling at them at the door, wide awake and with mischievous eyes. What seemed off to both of them was Medusa's forelegs: Both of them were completely bare, without the swirling snake tattoos that formerly took up most of her fur.

"M-Medusa? You're up early..." Gilda said, trying to keep calm in the ominous presence in front of her. Medusa merely looked away innocently, her smile refusing to leave.

"I can be pretty manageable with my sleeping schedule sometimes. But I digress. I'm glad that you two are up as well. Perhaps now we can get on with business over breakfast, provided I have your rapt attention..." Medusa said as she shifted her eyes towards her soon-to-be cohorts.

"Okay, but can you give us a minute here? We were kind of in the middle of something." Gilda said, trying to urge Medusa to leave her room without appearing suspicious.

"Whatever you have to say to Lightning Dust, you can say to me, Gilda. After all, we're all in this together, aren't we?" Medusa said nonchalantly. Her words irritated Lightning Dust as she rose from Gilda's bed.

"Hey! I never agreed to your little science venture, and you got another thing coming to think I'll just work with you flat out!" She snapped defensively, to which Gilda flinched and darted her head up at the opal pegasus.

"Lightning, reel it back a bit, would ya? We gotta be cool about this..." Gilda said.

"Be cool about what, Gilda? It's obvious that this earth pony's so demented to assume that I agreed to be her lackey overnight! I'm sorry, but this is where I bail." She landed on the floor and trotted towards the door, where Medusa stood in front of her, smile and all.

"I'd reconsider your choice of words, if I were you. You think me to be presumptuous in my claims, but you'll find that leaving here won't be so easy..." Her quip earned a forceful nudge from Lightning Dust as she moved past her.

"Watch me." She spat as she moved away. When she made it into the living room, she went to reach for the door, only to stop when an uncomfortable feeling welled inside her body "Huh?" Lightning Dust looked down at her chest "What the...?" She grunted when she felt a small twinge of pain, and she noticed a wide lump grow from her chest and slithered around her body, receding into the lower region of her stomach. Lightning Dust went pale as her pupils trembled.

'What in the name of Tartarus was that?' It was entirely unnatural, and she didn't like it one bit. A part of her wondered if a certain strange mare was responsible. She darted her head towards the hallway to see that same taunting smile on that wicked face directed at her. Gilda stood behind, confused at what was happening.

"Don't say I didn't warn you. Lightning Dust, was it? I'm sure you're behavior's sure to make a turn after your little act of rebellion." Medusa said in an eerily calm tone.

"You..." Lightning Dust said as she placed a hoof on her chest, her mind ripping itself apart to find the best emotion to convey towards Medusa "What did you do to me!?"

"It's not so much as what I've done as it is what you­'ve done, my dear. You were merely coaxed into joining me through your friend, and through your eagerness, you chose to stay with us..." She said in a decidedly playful tone, enjoying the look of shock on Lightning Dust's face.

"Wha-..." Lightning Dust turned to Gilda, who was sweating bullets "Gilda...is this true?"

"I swear, it wasn't like that at all! I was just-"

"Oh, but it was." Medusa said, flashing Gilda a supposedly cute smile "And I cannot thank you enough for your support, Gilda; I very much enjoy Lightning Dust's attitude. It might work wonders on our mission."

"Hey! Don't even pull that kind of joke, lady! What did you do to my friend!?" Gilda snapped, finding the courage to glare at Medusa, who merely chuckled at the display of anger.

"Let's just say that I wanted to make certain that you two would actually help me in my pursuit since we all share the same mindset. What I've done was nothing short of a gesture to seal the fact that neither of you would leave me." Gilda growled, and then took a moment to examine her forelegs again. Unlike the other day, they were without her snake tattoos, and something in Gilda's mind began to click.

"Wait a minute...You pulled some kind of spell on her, didn't you!? Why are your tattoos gone, huh?" Gilda asked. Medusa fought back the urge to applaud mockingly at Gilda despite her observation.

"Clever girl. And here I thought you weren't without intellect. Indeed my...'tattoos', as it were, have been removed. But they're not exactly what you think..." She said as a few arrow-pointed tendrils sprouted from Medusa's back, giving off a malevolent purple glow on the edges. The witch's face was now considerably frightening to those around her; widened eyes and an ear-to-ear grin "I simply filled her up with some of my snakes, just to make sure her allegiance remains intact. If she were to disobey me, or simply choose to abandon me, let's just say that she won't be losing just her friend..."

Gilda was shivering, and she cursed herself for it. Lightning Dust fared no better as she staggered back in her fear before plopping down on her haunches, pointing a trembling forehoof at Medusa.

"You're insane!!" She shouted, to which Medusa looked over at the opal pegasus with a small smirk and an arched eyebrow.

"So I was told. Anyone can be considered an outcast when their goals are considered extreme to some people...But I'm sure you'll think differently of me as we move along." She looked over at Gilda, taking in the dread in her eyes.

"Wait...So you're saying that Lightning's full of snakes now? How's that possible?" Gilda asked feebly.

"Oh, it's quite simple really." Medusa raised her left foreleg with a seemingly cheerful smile "All it took was this leg and nothing more."

"What? Then what about..." The griffon was full of dread when she noticed that not only was Medusa's right foreleg bare, but that Gilda herself was the remaining bystander for the witch to prey upon "Why!? I thought I already had your trust!"

"Oh, you do, Gilda, but I couldn't really take any chances. I had to make sure that your allegiance was absolute." Medusa said, brushing off Gilda's volume.

"That's not even funny! Get them out of me!" Gilda shouted, to which Medusa's smile disappeared momentarily, her face donning feigned disappointment.

"Well, I could make it happen, but calling all my snakes back at once means that your body will be destroyed, leading to death. Then I would be short one associate. Can't have that, can we?" Medusa shrugged before smiling again "But now that that's out of the way, we can now get some food in our bellies before preparing for our trip. We'll be discussing locations and landmarks over breakfast, of course. I'll need you all to be at your best while planning for today's itinerary."

Gilda immediately regretted ever bringing Lightning Dust along to her home with Medusa. She regretted ever meeting Medusa to begin with. This was going to be a long day for herself and her new 'superior'. She looked over at a nearly-catatonic Lightning Dust silently contemplating her current position.

All she knew for herself was that her fate was sealed, and she had no one to blame but herself.

End of Chapter 11

Author's Note:

Writer's Block can suck it.

Writer's Block: What was that?

Nothing...

Insanity is fun, and so is updating.

Enjoy the chapter, folks. Peace :twilightsmile: