• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 8,866 Views, 550 Comments

"I don't know how to deal with this!" - Dirty Bit



This is a story about madness; Madness and black blood.

  • ...
15
 550
 8,866

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Skirmish in the Square! A frenzied enemy approaches?

Meanwhile, in Ponyville library, Discord pointed a claw as he was discussing the issue about Crona with Spike "In conclusion, you just need to keep your distance while we make sure Crona adapts to Ponyville."

Spike stared "How does that explain why I can't be around you guys?"

Discord shot an inquisitive glance back at the purple dragon "How could it not?"

Spike deadpanned "All you said was 'In conclusion', and nothing else."

Discord's gaze became quizzical, almost cross-eyed "I have? Well, in that case, let me reiterate with more clarity to my reasons." He gestured his paw and claw as if passing an item left and right "You, Spike, obviously bring about bad memories towards poor Crona just by being there, and we cannot afford to have somepony go into a panic attack while you stand idly by as if nothing were happening. Our newest friend needs time to adjust and forget about such haunting visions to the point where it were like they've never even happened. Therefore, you'll have to take up the idea of becoming a prepubescent hermit in this library until we actually feel the need to have you around for the sake of friendship." He conjured a set of shades and put them over his eyes while leaning his head towards Spike "Ya dig?" Discord asked in a mock urban accent.

Spike frowned "But I don't wanna be cooped up in here for a long time; I'll get bored easily! Plus, you may have forgotten my thing with Rarity." He said as he crossed his arms.

Discord held back a snicker as he composed himself "Well, stud, use this as an opportunity to make yourself more presentable and desirable around Rarity. I'm sure there could be plausible tomes of knowledge to impress a mare."

Spike looked up at Discord with faint interest "Really?"

Discord spread his arms with an encouraging smile "Of course. In fact, I have one right here for your viewing pleasure!" He proclaimed as he snapped his talons and made a book appear in his paw; It was an ebony tome titled 'How to impress your mare in one easy step'.

Spike eyed it with a wide grin on his face, but it faded when screams were heard outside "Did you hear that?"

Discord conjured a hearing horn and held it to one of his ears as he made out the sound himself "Sure did." He shrugged to Spike "Sorry, my boy, but duty calls. In the meantime..." Discord gently placed the book on top of Spike's head "Educate yourself. I'll be back in a jiff." He said as he teleported out of the library.

Spike paused with a bitter expression until he took the book off of his head and cracked it open. There was no content seen in the book other than one small sentence.

Step 1
Be yourself

It may have been short and to the point, but Spike was outraged at what the book had to offer "This doesn't help me at all! I've been myself around Rarity for the longest time now!" He snapped in complaint before heaving a sigh and waddling towards a couch as he began to mope "I get no respect around this place..."

From a perch on the other end of the room, Owlowiscious flew towards Spike and landed next to him, giving a reassuring hoot. Spike eyed the owl until he patted his head with a smile "Well, at least you're here for me."
_____

Crona and the element bearers galloped into town to see the many citizens running amock in a panic. They traversed through all of the unrest, trying to spot the disturbance that was being made in the town. Rainbow Dash flew above to get a better view, and her eyes widened when she spotted the source "Girls, you might wanna get a look at this!" She called down to her friends as she pointed ahead of their direction.

Fluttershy, curious about the disturbance herself, flew up next to Rainbow Dash and followed her outstretched hoof. When she spotted what was up ahead, she gave a low gasp at what was seen.

A few feet away from the fleeing townsfolk, a large manticore with ruffled fur was seen ravaging the ponies that were nearby without hesitation, its claws leaving massive wounds across their bodies. Screams of agony and terror filled the air that were only toned out by the manticore's feral roar. A maddening gaze in its dilated pupils scanned the area as what appeared to be black ichor trailed from the right side of its maw while he breathed deeply. The manticore had caught the element bearers and Crona in its sights and let out a threatening growl.

Rarity stared back at the manticore and the bleeding victims with a look of distress "A manticore in Ponyville? But how!?"

Twilight, tensed up by the beast's appearance, watched how it slowly advanced towards them "Your guess is as good as mine. Creatures of the Everfree forest don't even come out of their territory unless they're provoked. This occurrence makes no sense at all!"

At Twilight's last sentence, Discord teleported next to them with a relaxed smile "Now who has the gall to say-" He spotted the manticore and the wounded ponies left in its wake, staring blankly at the carnage "Oh...That's happening." He said as he pointed a claw at the manticore.

Fluttershy looked down at Discord "Discord! Please get everypony to safety!" She called down to him.

Discord nodded "Can do." He replied nonchalantly, as if the manticore wasn't around. He snapped his talons, causing the wounded ponies to wink out of existence, and looked ahead at the manticore with a grimace "Yeesh, I remembered manticores to be more groomed despite being wild animals." He looked up at Fluttershy gliding towards it and frowned in concern "Are you sure about trying to reason with it? Need I remind you of the ponies I rescued just now?"

Fluttershy looked back at Discord with a gaze of resolve "Go help everypony, Discord. I can do this..."

Discord stared, then closed his eyes as he took a deep breath "You better be careful, Fluttershy..." He muttered as he teleported away from the group, leaving them with the manticore.

Fluttershy descended towards the manticore's eye level and eyed it with a stern glance "Why did you do this?" She asked in a low tone towards the advancing manticore "Why would you leave the forest and harm so many innocent ponies? Don't you have any shame?"

Crona watched Fluttershy with a quivering heart "Fluttershy..." It murmured in fear of what could happen to her if she weren't careful. Her courage against the manticore was surprising in Crona's eyes, almost reminding her of Maka's own display.

Fluttershy's eyes narrowed "I don't know what your reason is for hurting everypony, but you've caused enough trouble, mister! You're going to go back inside of the Everfree Forest right now!" She said, her volume reaching levels unlike her usual inside voice.

Applejack felt herself shake as the manticore continued undeterred, turning to Fluttershy "Ah don't think that there manticore's listenin', Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy's gaze stayed the same until her eyes widened with a burning intensity that entered and coursed through the manticore's body the moment they locked eyes; She had used her reliable disciplinary tactic known as 'The Stare'. The beast was confused at first, but found the feeling inside of his body to grow annoying, roaring in protest as he brought up a massive paw and went to strike Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash widened her eyes "Fluttershy!" She said as she sped towards her friend and quickly snatched her away, letting the manticore's paw slam into the ground. When they were at a safe distance, she carefully, but hastily lifted Fluttershy to where their eyes met "Are you crazy? That manticore nearly killed you back there!" She said in worry.

Fluttershy, whose expression shifted to shcok and sorrow, looked back at Rainbow Dash with trembling eyes "B-But I don't understand...How could he even resist against the Stare?"

Rainbow Dash looked back at the large beast growling at the two pegasi "I don't know, but you made him very angry!"

"Fluttershy! Rainbow Dash! Run!" Twilight called out to her friends. They complied without a word and flew away from the manticore, who unfurled his own wings and roared before pursuing them.

Pinkie watched them leave, until her body began to twitch uncontrollably "O-O-O-O-Oh bo-o-o-o-o-o-y~!"

Crona was unsettled by Pinkie's sudden display of movement "P-Pinkie Pie? Why are you doing that? Your body's moving all weird and wobbly. I don't know how to deal with that!"

Applejack watched in surprise "A Pinkie sense now? But what could it be? Ah'd figure that manticore was the biggest doozy we've had in a while."

Pinkie grunted as her body moved about "It isn't! I dunno what it is, but it's bound to happen soon!"

Rarity frowned "I hope this doozy is something that would rid Ponyville of this manticore."

Twilight turned to her friends "Whatever the prediction, we can't leave Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash by themselves. C'mon, everypony!" She said as she galloped away, the others following after her.
_____

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash flew for their lives away from the rabid manticore that gave chase; Fluttershy whimpered to herself while her mind was wrapped around the question of why a manticore wouldn't even listen to her while Rainbow Dash kept a tight grip on her friend as she accelerated away "That stupid beast isn't gonna get us so easily. Hold tight, Fluttershy!"

Rainbow Dash proceeded to use evasive maneuvers in the air that consisted of some of the tricks she would practice on her own time. She expected results from her demonstration of tricks, but despite her deft movement, she noticed the manticore did not let up on his pursuit; He would roar in irritation for each trick he fell for, but he would eventually be back on their tail without much effort "What gives? He should've been winded by now! Nopony could just catch up to me like that!" Rainbow Dash shouted dumbfoundedly.

Fluttershy looked back at the manticore's unchanged expression of latent insanity in his eyes while he stayed hot on their trail 'I'm just as confused as you are, Rainbow Dash. Whatever drove him to cause trouble in Ponyville must have given him some kind of boost in strength...' She watched how more of the black liquid seen on his lips trailed off 'Wait...is that...?' Fluttershy yelped when she felt herself yanked as Rainbow Dash made a sharp turn to the right before she could deduce the blackness seen on the manticore.

Rainbow Dash groaned when she looked back "Darn it. Looks like we're gonna have to knock some sense into him."

Fluttershy turned to Rainbow Dash "What!? But we can't!" She cried.

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes as she looked down for a place to land "I know that manticore's an animal, Fluttershy, but he's acting like a monster! Besides, I don't see him leaving us alone as long as we keep this up!" She said as she swooped down towards town square near the fountain, where she took a defensive stance while she watched the manticore descend nearby "It's time to get tough!" Rainbow Dash flared her wings and launched herself at full speed towards her target, hitting him square in the chest with a headbutt.

She expected a painful reaction, But Rainbow Dash heard nothing but another low growl 'Huh?' She looked up to see that the manticore wasn't even fazed by her blow, and he roared as he swatted Rainbow Dash away with a massive paw, sending her through a wall of a nearby building.

Fluttershy gasped "Rainbow Dash!" She went to gallop to her aid, but her path was blocked by the manticore, who snarled at her threateningly. With eyes wide as dinner plates, Fluttershy backed away from the advancing beast, fearing for her's and Rainbow Dash's lives.

While Fluttershy was backing up, Twilight and the others managed to reach town square to see the manticore advancing on her. Crona widened its eyes at the terrifying sight "Fluttershy!"

Applejack called out to the timid pegasus in worry "Shake a leg, girl! Yer gonna be attacked!"

Fluttershy whimpered while her eyes were on the manticore "I-I can't..." she whimpered as her legs began to tremble profusely, fear beginning to overtake her. Never had she been met with a predicament that involved not only her life, but several others. Right now, the timid pegasus was staring death in the face that took the form of a savage beast that she was unable to communicate with. As she watched the manticore raise his paw up, Fluttershy's pupils trembled while she broke into a cold sweat, and she instantly clenched her eyes shut at the realization that running away was futile.

Her friends couldn't bear the sight, namely Crona, who instinctively galloped towards her with a distressed look, ignoring the mares behind it before shutting its eyes as it reached its caretaker "Fluttershy!"

After Crona's call, the manticore had brought down his paw, but instead of striking a pegasus and an earth pony, it had smacked against a large, red, and dome-like magic shield that had instantaneously formed the moment Crona reached Fluttershy; on the former's back was a wingspan containing large and black wings in a covering position over the two ponies. The manticore roared in surprise before he was reeled back by the force it exerted from his attack.

Rainbow Dash crawled out of the hole she had made and shook her head before she noticed the spectacle herself, her jaw nearly dropping "What the...!?"

Pinkie gasped in surprise while she watched the shield protect Crona and Fluttershy "No way! Crona's a pegasus that can use magic? That's amazing!"

Twilight would have been at a loss for words had it not been for Pinkie's deduction "Pinkie Pie...I don't think those wings actually belong to Crona..." She said as she watched the scene carefully, although was nearly captivated by the demonstration of Crona's skill.

Pinkie blinked at Twilight "They don't? Then who would they-" She gasped again, this time in realization before she bursted into a cheer "Ragnarok is actually helping! He really is a nice guy!"

Rarity was in awe at the fact that Ragnarok was displaying immense power by himself, or so she thought "Amazing...And to think Ragnarok was just inside Crona for show!"

Applejack gave a light scoff before she held a thin smile and remained silent 'Guess he ain't all bad iffin' he's willin' t' risk his life with Crona...'

Fluttershy heard her friends speak, and she opened her eyes to view the sudden bulwark she was inside of, followed by the pony who held her close "Crona?" She asked in a whisper.

Crona looked down at Fluttershy in worry before it had smiled in relief "I'm glad you're okay, Fluttershy...Don't worry; We'll protect you." It said as the shield had lifted, the wings receding into Crona's body while it gently lifted Fluttershy up.

The manticore had recovered from the backlash of his earlier strike and roared in agitation as it leapt to strike Crona and Fluttershy again, but was met with another obstacle in the form of an angry Ragnarok easily matching his force with the paw over his own "Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about the new friends Crona has made, but Fluttershy managed to make us food; and we could've had some of Applejack's if you didn't show up. Now I'm gonna beat you down before I can enjoy a good meal!" He said as he added more force to his defense and sent the manticore reeling once more.

Fluttershy had never been so dumbfounded over such an otherwordly feat; She never expected so much physical strength from Ragnarok. What drew her away from it was Crona's unreadable expression that slowly contorted into a light glare towards the frenzied beast. The pony who seemed frightful to her at first had now appeared to have gained some courage in the face of adversity in her eyes.

Crona remained frozen until it spoke in a leveled tone "Ragnarok..." After he was mentioned, Ragnarok melded down into a black ooze and slithered down into Crona's open mouth, shifting into a shape of a long and thin blade as the once-frightful pony bit down on the hilt. While Ragnarok was held in his new form, Crona's eyes began to change; rather than their regular purple, its pupils dilated slightly as their color became lighter and pale.

Fluttershy would be happy to know that Crona was willing to protect her, but a new fear had wormed inside of her; the fear of the new pony that stood before her with the same nightmarish features; the sword in its mouth; the maddening gaze; the defensive stance. She had inched herself away while Crona was focused on its recovering opponent 'I can't believe it...Crona really is the same pony I've seen in the Everfree Forest last night...' Fluttershy thought while she stared in disbelief.

The manticore recovered again, his full attention directed on the armed pony in front of him. He roared indignantly before readying his scorpion tail and launching it at Crona, who managed to sidestep and block the poisonous tip that clashed with the ebony blade. Crona quickly dropped its guard and charged towards the manticore to slash at his chest, eliciting a growl before it dodged a paw that dropped towards the ground, crushing the spot it touched.

Fluttershy's mind was in flux at the sight of Crona fighting against the ferocious beast; So much had happened in the course of two days, and it all led up to a horrific sight taking place in her home. While he was still feral, Fluttershy's heart went out to the manticore as she watched him bleed out black blood '...What!?'

Upon closer inspection, Fluttershy noticed that the wound Crona made on the manticore was indeed leaking black blood. From noticing the familiar substance that dripped from his mouth, the wound had drawn her to a palpable conclusion: The manticore had somehow gotten a hold of Crona's black blood, and it was quite possibly the source of its current ferocity.

Crona was busy blocking clawed swipes that had come in left and right with the help of Ragnarok, all while showing no reaction towards each attack other than its maddening gaze. When it spotted an opening, the sword-wielding pony lunged Ragnarok forward to stab at the manticore's chest, only to be swatted away after the hit had connected.

Fluttershy had snapped out of her thought after seeing Crona roll across the ground "Oh my goodness!" She went to fly towards Crona until she noticed the swift recovery it made.

Crona lifted itself up, showing no expression of pain as it kept Ragnarok in its mouth. Its eyes narrowed at the manticore before it galloped back towards him with Ragnarok at the ready; Paw met sword as they clashed after closing the distance in minimal time.

From the sidelines, Rainbow Dash was easily amazed by Crona's demonstration of swordplay and endurance "Wow...She may look scrawny, but Crona can take a beating and come back stronger!" She said to herself before she grimaced "...I'm glad she's on our side..." Rainbow Dash muttered with faint fear. She then realized two things: She remained motionless in the hole she made, and Fluttershy was close to the two combatants.

Not wanting to waste another moment, Rainbow Dash recovered from her spot and quickly flew towards Fluttershy, swooping her off from the ground and taking her by surprise "Don't worry, I gotcha."

Fluttershy whimpered "But what about Crona?"

Rainbow Dash frowned and looked over at the mentioned pony holding its own without any problems "Personally, I think she's got this one." She reassured Fluttershy as she let her friend fly, the two pegasi gliding back to their friends "You girls seeing this?" She asked curiously.

Applejack nodded "Darn tootin'. Ah'm surprised Crona's even standin' up t' manticore as if it were nothin'." She said as she noticed the wounds on the manticore "What in the hay..." Applejack muttered "Since when do manticores bleed black blood?"

The others were confused by Applejack's question until they caught on themselves, stupified at the fact that there existed a manticore holding the same blood as Crona. Twilight spoke up "By Celestia's mane, that is black blood." She uttered dumbfoundedly "But how is that possible? No manticore could be born with such a thing!"

Rarity eyed Crona carefully while it defended itself "Crona couldn't have something to do with this, could she?"

Pinkie tilted her head "Well, Crona's the only pony we know with black blood so far. Maybe we should ask once this battle's over?" She suggested obliviously. A thought had crossed her mind and she spoke again "Say girls..." The other mares gave Pinkie their attention "About my Pinkie Sense earlier...I've already been called crazy a couple of times, but what if Crona's the doozy?" She asked as she watched Crona fight.

Before anypony could answer, Crona had hopped away from the manticore and bit down hard on Ragnarok as its eyes narrowed "Scream resonance." After Crona's command, a set of large red lips sprouted from the blade just above the hilt. They grinned before they opened wide to give off a deafening scream that brought up a sonic wave throughout town square.

Twilight and the others covered their ears from the scream's intensity, clenching their eyes shut and gritting their teeth as the sonic wave continued to permeate the air. The manticore had been stunned from the scream as well, giving off a desperate roar to try and tune out the sonic wave. While it was distracted, Crona spotted another opening in the manticore's chest; this was the ideal target for the killing blow. It charged forward, and after rearing its head back with Ragnarok, Crona gave a mighty swing to the desired area, hitting the manticore in the chest as his roar was ceased.

Everypony on the sidelines widened their eyes when Crona managed to cut the manticore in two, but their surprise had doubled as they saw the beast fade to black before it swirled in a spiral and gathered to form a glowing red wisp that hung in the air over the small puddle of black blood.

Fluttershy went pale; This was the last thing she remembered when seeing Crona in the forest last night. She didn't want to believe it, but she was now caring for a killer pony carrying a demon inside, and while she cared for Crona and Ragnarok, she was worried that they would be ostracized by the rest of the town.

Twilight, enraptured by what was present in place of the manticore, approached the floating wisp and examined it up close "What is this?" She asked in a whisper.

Rarity felt troubled with the wisp's presence "Twilight, get away from that! It could be dangerous!" She warned.

Sadly for Rarity, her friends, save for Fluttershy, were just as curious as Twilight, gathering with her to study the glowing ball themselves. Pinkie poked at it "What do you think it is? If anything, it's shiny!"

Rainbow Dash arched an eyebrow at it "Whatever it is, I dunno if it's a good idea to keep it here..."

Twilight darted her head at Rainbow Dash "Are you kidding me? We should study this further!" She glanced back at it as her eyes glimmered with inspiration "For all we know, this could lead us to a new breakthrough in the study of magic." Twilight said, bristling with excitement.

Applejack frowned "Don't seem all that interestin'. Ominous, yeah, but y'all don't think it actually has anythin' t' do with magic, do ya?"

"It's a soul..."

The element bearers turned to Crona, whose eyes went back to their former color as Ragnarok shifted and sunk back inside of its back. It turned to the others "That soul belonged to the manticore I just killed."

Rarity stared blankly at Crona before she saw the moment to drape a hoof over her forehead, give off a tired moan, and faint again. Rainbow Dash looked down at her in irritation "Seriously? That's like the third time today!"

Applejack regarded Crona with befuddled eyes "Ya mean t' tell us that's a soul of a fallen critter?" She turned to look at it as her heart quivered "Now Ah feel disturbed just lookin' at it." Applejack commented.

Twilight was just as disturbed as she watched it "But the soul is immaterial according to magic study. We're actually seeing a soul in a tangible form?"

Fluttershy neared the floating soul and gently placed a hoof on it "I don't believe it..." She began to tear up as she continued to stare "That poor thing...I can't believe he's gone..."

Crona saw the sadness in Fluttershy's eyes and felt sorry for her, cautiously drawing near her before it pawed at the ground shyly "I-...I'm sorry if this bothers you, Fluttershy. But that manticore...it nearly killed those ponies back there...If we didn't act sooner-"

"I understand." Fluttershy interrupted tersely, though she was still lamenting over the manticore that had died "Everypony would've suffered if he wasn't stopped..." She said as she caressed the soul before holding it close with her forelegs. Tears streamed down her face "If only there was another way around this..." Fluttershy whimpered as she began to sob.

Crona couldn't watch Fluttershy act so sad over something that had affected her town so horribly. It then looked down at the puddle of black blood and widened its eyes, its pupils trembling 'Oh no...The black blood! Why didn't I notice this sooner!?'

While everypony was gathered around the soul of the fallen beast, Discord teleported back and quickly looked around "Are you girls okay? Where's the manticore? Is it-" He looked ahead to see the group with their own respective expressions, feeling confused himself as he raised a bushy eyebrow "I've obviously missed something here...The question is what it was..."

End of Chapter 7

Author's Note:

Dang, I forget how hard it is to do battle scenes sometimes...But I'd be more worried about what's yet to come from this little episode...I mean chapter :derpytongue2:

Now our little ponies know that the soul can be seen; but do they know that the eyes bear the soul? Eh, probably...

Enjoy this chapter. Peace!:twilightsmile: