• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 8,866 Views, 550 Comments

"I don't know how to deal with this!" - Dirty Bit



This is a story about madness; Madness and black blood.

  • ...
15
 550
 8,866

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Madness Redux! Catering to a Pony's Whims?

Fluttershy felt rewarded in seeing Crona return the happiness that was shown by the timid pegasus and her friends, but she couldn't help but think back on the very thing that was inside of her guest. Her smile wavered as she looked at Crona "Umm… Crona? I don't mean to ruin the mood for you, but could you tell us about your blood, please?"

Twilight had caught on to Fluttershy's question, and her own curiosity was restored "I'd like to know myself. We really didn't think about it back there while we were mulling over that kishin egg, and we'd appreciate you sharing with us the capabilities of your blood."

Crona's good mood instantly vanished, and it looked down as it shuffled its forehooves "Well, you know how Ragnarok said that Lady Medusa filled me with black blood, right?" The many nods from Crona's audience signalled for the demon swordpony to continue "Well… She created the blood that's inside of me..." Crona looked away shamefully "It's used to make other things stronger, but it fills whoever has it with madness..."

"That explains how I found myself inside of a building in one swing..." Rainbow Dash said with a grimace as she rubbed her head, still feeling sore from the earlier fight.

"This black blood sounds less like its namesake and more like an experimental magic serum." Twilight said pensively. She heard Ragnarok let off a scoff and noticed that he looked bored.

"What more do you want? We don't know the full details. Lady Medusa created the black blood, not us." He spat before looking down at Crona "Gotta admit that Crona had balls, staying alive after having all that blood replaced with the black blood." Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Rarity all traded worried glances before turning to Crona.

"Y'all ain't at risk goin' crazy on us, right, Crona?" Applejack asked cautiously.

Crona looked over at Applejack and shook its head "No. I'm okay, really."

"But your body's chalk full of black blood! How do we know you won't snap on us right now?" Rainbow Dash asked as she stood warily.

"Because I can control my blood. Not everyone's good at it like me or Ragnarok." Crona answered calmly.

"You heard Crona, everypony. We've got nothing to worry about." Discord said reassuringly "All we have to do is make sure that our little friend doesn't get any nasty paper cuts so that we can enjoy our time together without any wrinkled sprinkles." He added teasingly.

"That's nothing to worry about. I can harden my blood anytime." Ragnarok said proudly as he flexed his small arms. The ponies, save for Crona, smiled at this.

"Well, that's one less problem to worry about." Rarity said as she flicked her mane. "At least we have the rest of the day to ourselves now."

"Correction: YOU have the rest of the day to yourselves!" Pinkie said with a toothy grin, before pointing a hoof at herself "Pinkie's got places to be. Smell ya later!" She said before zipping off in a pink blur.

Crona stared in awe, amazed at how fast Pinkie was going before it felt a tap on its shoulder. The demon swordpony looked over at a smug Rainbow Dash.

"Don't let that sight fool you, sister; I'm the fast one out of all of us." She said cockily as she flew up and performed a loop-de-loop in the air "Just you wait and see me practice."

Crona stared up at Rainbow Dash and tilted its head. The cyan pegasus really was similar to Black Star with her pride. Meanwhile, Ragnarok let off a tired moan "I'm bored now. Have fun with your little group hugs and picnics, I guess." He said before sinking back into Crona's body.

"Well, why don't we go back into town?" Fluttershy offered, wanting to move things along with her friends, and getting Crona acquainted with Ponyville.

"Sounds good t' me. Let's saddle up, y'all." Applejack said as she and her friends got up from the table and trotted back to Ponyville.

Fluttershy went with her friends, but stopped when she noticed Crona lagging behind. She smiled and matched the black pony's pace, staying at its side "Don't worry, Crona. This time will be a lot different."

"I'm not worried about that..." Crona muttered with a shy look.

"What's bothering you?" Fluttershy asked inquisitively, ready to help her new friend if the moment called for it. She watched Crona meet her gaze and blushed lightly.

"I would like some clothes, please..."
_____

Griffhala: Capital of the griffon kingdom. At first, it was solely populated by griffons, but over time, thanks to continuing relations with the ponies, griffons and ponies alike were able to cooperate with one another in terms of business and living arrangements.

The only one who was partial to such an issue was Gilda the Griffon.

She was busy enjoying a small stroll through the city, thinking to herself on what would sound entertaining for her to do, given that the city bored her to death ever since she returned home. What would snap her out of her thoughts were griffons and ponies that obscured her path before they moved out of her way, not paying them any mind as she made her stride. She would often cast a nasty glance to any pony she came across until they were out of her sight. Whenever the path ahead of her was clear enough, she would simply go back to her thoughts.

'What to do… I could always scare one of those stupid ponies again. Or maybe I could grab some food. Decisions, decisions...' She thought to herself, a thin smile forming on her face. Sure, her cycle was repetitive at times, but Gilda was able to make the best of whatever she did without any trouble on herself, especially when it came to pranks or snatching food when no one was looking.

However, as much as she hated to admit it, it wasn't the same without her old friend. Before her thoughts became wistful, she steeled herself and focused on having her fun rather than dredge up painful memories 'I don't need that flip-flop. I'm better off without her...'

As Gilda trailed off in her own mind, she was oblivious to a cloaked pony coming her way; its head hidden beneath its brown hood. As the mysterious pony made its stride, Gilda unknowingly bumped into her, stumbling in her step before coming back to reality and scowling at the passing pony, who acted as if nothing happened "Hey! I'm walking here!" She snapped irritably. The mystery pony had briefly stopped and shifted its head back, a beige muzzle seen in Gilda's view

"I can see that. You merely bumped into me, so basically, you're at fault. You should watch where you're going next time." The pony said in a mature feminine voice before resuming her trot.

Gilda was perplexed before she growled at the mare's reply. She had the audacity to act as if the griffon was in the wrong and just get off scot-free. Gilda walked back towards the mare and placed a claw on her shoulder "Mind saying that to my face, dweeb?" She said angrily. Some passing ponies and griffons stopped at the small scene taking place.

"I would gladly do so, but I'm on a tight schedule. Would you kindly release me so that I may be on my way, please?" The mare asked nonchalantly.

This earned a snort from Gilda, as she kept her grip on the hooded pony "Fat chance. Either you prove to me you're not all talk or I'll just wreck you here." She said abrasively.

There was silence as the two stood until it was broken by a small fit of laughter courtesy of the mare, much to Gilda's confusion. Without turning towards her, the hooded mare donned a short smile "If you wish to go that route, I'd rather not make a scene. Would you like to follow me somewhere so that we may settle this trivial matter properly?" The mare asked in an eerily polite tone.

"Are you serious?" Gilda said incredulously, before smirking admirably "And here I thought all ponies were just peace-loving yahoos. Alright, lead the way..." The griffon released her hold on the mystery mare, whose smile grew slightly wider afterwards.

"Excellent… This way, please..." The mare said as she resumed her trot with Gilda following close behind.

Gilda couldn't believe she was actually going to have fun by knocking a pony senseless, especially when said pony had no trouble going through with it herself. For once, her day was both different and interesting. She was befuddled when she noticed that the pony turned into a dank and shady alley between two large buildings; one being a shop and the other an apartment.

Once the two had found themselves in the middle of the alley, the mystery mare faced Gilda, her face obscured under the shadow of her hood, while Gilda merely looked ahead, raising an eyebrow.

"Fighting in an alley, huh? There's something you don't see everyday." Gilda quipped as she tried to study her opponent's features.

"With all due respect, I've witnessed similar barbaric traits around this city. This is merely a spot I've desired to settle our matter in without any unnecessary witnesses..." The mare replied cooly.

"Touche on the first part, but why so secretive about this? Can't have a good fight without an audience, you know." Gilda said as she cracked her knuckles and got into a fighting stance.

"Let's just say I'm still trying to get a good feel of this place. I'm glad you were willing to oblige to my request as far as destination." The mare said before she slowly got onto her hind legs and held out her forelegs, both of which appeared to have large, black, dotted snake tattoos winding down towards her hooves. She began to make slow waving gestures as a strange incantation was uttered from her lips.

"Nake Snake, Cobra Cobubra...
Nake Snake, Cobra Cobubra..."

Gilda stared blankly at the pony in front of her, who was acting as if she were in some kind of dance audition while she continued spewing what the griffon perceived as gibberish from her mouth. Gilda craned her head back while staring at her strange opponent, her guard slightly lowered.

"What the heck are you doing, lady-AUGH!"

Before she could finish her question, Gilda found herself swept upward a couple of feet in the air, painfully constricted by what appeared to be several black, arrow-tipped tendrils that had sprouted from the ground below her. As she tried to struggle in her bonds, the mysterious mare plopped back down to all fours and trotted up to Gilda with a smile that betrayed no satisfaction from her deed.

"You know, you've made this a lot easier for me by letting me properly test my powers in a secluded area. It seems I still haven't lost my touch..." The mare said as she donned an insane smile that stretched from ear-to-ear. She let off her hood to reveal that she had a spiked blonde mane and yellow eyes that were narrowed to slits "Now all that remains is deciding what to do with you… Do I just punish you? Or perhaps I should sate my hunger and cook you on a spit?"

Now she's seen everything; Gilda was not only being handled by a pony, but a pony that was so far off the deep end that she belonged in Tartarus. For the first time in her life, she was nearly scared out of her wits.

'N-No… It can't end like this! It can't!' Gilda clenched her eyes shut as she flailed about in her bonds, the thought of survival clouding her mind. She was unable to escape no matter how hard she had tried to break free.

The blonde mare watched Gilda's helpless struggle in amusement and chuckled to herself. It would be no hard task to end the life of her prey, but then she realized that there are some things about this world that she needs to study, and she could make use of the captive in front of her to get what she wants. Even she knew that there are certain tasks that require some assistance. She took another step forward towards the struggling griffon, the smile refusing to leave her face.

"Clearly, you do not wish to die, correct? Perhaps we can negotiate some terms if you're willing to lend an ear..." She said persuasively.

Gilda instantly ceased her flailing after she had heard the mare's request. Wasn't she on the verge of ending her life a few seconds earlier? It seemed too good to be true that a crazy earth pony capable of magic was quick to let her live so long as she was interested in what was going to be said.

"...I'm listening..." Gilda said in an even tone, unnerved by the mare's shift in attitude. She was perplexed when the mare appeared to look gentle, as opposed to her earlier mask of insanity.

"Wonderful. You're aware that I've made mention of being new around here. In fact, I'm looking for some capable assistants that can aid me in some research for the time being. Would you like to be one of my assistants?" The mare asked politely, despite the gentle expression on her face that belied her malicious intent.

Gilda never thought she would be forced into a corner by a stranger like this. She was thrown off by the request of being the mare's so-called assistant for a short time, but looking at her situation, it was a whole lot better than dying. Gilda swallowed her pride and looked down at the smiling madmare below her.

"Fine, I'll be your assistant. But mind telling me who you are and what you're trying to learn or accomplish here?" Gilda asked inquisitively. She grunted when she remembered the bonds she was trapped in "And what the heck kind of spell did you use just now? Aren't unicorns supposed to be good at magic?" The mare hung her head as she closed her eyes.

"I should've known that what I'm capable of seems to be out of the ordinary to you, but I suppose there's no harm in filling you in, since you've graciously accepted my offer." She looked back up at Gilda "My name is Medusa, and what's keeping you bound in place is my vector magic. As for what my intentions for research are… well, I may just need more assistants and accumulated knowledge before I can share with you my true intentions. I'll need you to accompany me and scout for any plausible candidates for our cause."

"Wait a minute, our cause?" Gilda asked.

"Of course. You are my assistant, after all, so this is just as much your cause as it is my own." Medusa said in a seemingly friendly tone "So, if I have your full commitment and cooperation, I'll see fit to release you so that we can get started, provided I won't have to put up with any unnecessary treachery. I do have your trust, right?" She asked as her smile widened at Gilda, who felt her spine chill just from looking at the strange mare.

"Yeah, whatever. You know I wanna live and junk; just get me down, please?" Gilda said quickly, trying to keep her cool. She wanted to kick herself so badly for feeling this submissive around Medusa, even if she was a supposedly powerful earth pony capable of magic. A wave of relief swept across her body when the many vectors that wrapped around her had relinquished their hold and retracted back into the ground, while Gilda hovered downward as well. She rubbed her forearms before she stared warily at Medusa.

"So, now that we're working together, do you have any possible leads on who would likely join us? Mind you, we mustn't continue without some more help on our side." Medusa said as she inspected her hoof 'I should also look into the limitations on my new body in case I do not exert my power at the wrong time.'

Gilda pursed her lips at the thought of picking through different ponies and griffons to see who would actually want to join a crazy mare in some shaded agenda, but she sighed in resignation knowing she was already being ordered around. She thought for a moment before she remembered a point of interest.

"I think know somepony who could possibly roll with us. It'll be hard to convince her since you're being so secretive though." Gilda said in a straight tone. Medusa's smile widened, much to the griffon's distaste.

"Perhaps I was lucky to have you run into me. Won't you lead me to this lady?" Medusa asked somewhat cheerfully.

"Sure thing. I think I know where she is right now." Gilda said as she looked down at Medusa "Say, you think you could ditch that cloak of yours? I know you're magical and all, but it's kinda rubbing me the wrong way that you're wearing it the whole time. You're probably gonna end up drawing more attention to yourself that way around here."

"Oh? So you think I won't stick out..." Medusa brought a foreleg to her cloak and she pulled it off to reveal the rest of her body; her upper body was covered in what appeared to be a sleeveless black hoodie with white eye-like markings on either side of the hood. Instead of a regular tail, there was a black arrow that trailed down from the back of her attire that somehow acted as a suitable replacement. Her cutie mark was that of two snakes coiled around a black rose "...looking like this?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

Gilda was at a loss for words after taking in Medusa's appearance. This was indeed no ordinary pony. She winced as she watched the tail attached to her hoodie move.

"Alright, you raise a good point. That tail of yours is way past freaky." She commented as she watched Medusa put her cloak back on.

"Hence, why it was necessary to cover it up in the first place. I'm no stranger to concealing my identity towards others." Medusa said pointedly, as she placed the cloak's hood over her head "Besides, we're wasting precious time standing around. Show me where your friend is."

"Alright, sheesh." Gilda groaned as she turned and left the alley with Medusa. A part of her wondered if she could make a break for it the moment the two made it out of the alley, but three things held her back: Her own pride upon running off as a coward, the fact that Medusa could possibly track her down, and Gilda's curiosity over what her new superior was planning that required an extra set of hooves and claws.

They treaded along the sidewalks of the city until they reached a shabby, but spacious cafe to their left. Peering into the window, Gilda could make out some griffons sitting on some of the stools at the bar. She perked up when she spotted the shape of a pegasus near the far end who appeared to be slouching on the counter.

"Found her. Guess I was right about her being here." Gilda said, looking over at a neutral Medusa "Gonna pop in for a visit?"

"I don't see why not. Let's go inside." Medusa said as the two opened the front door, triggering a bell that announced their arrival. The cafe's customers, save for the pegasus, whose appearance was obstructed by the others, stole a glance at Gilda and Medusa before they went back to their own business.

Medusa took the lead as she and Gilda made their way across the room and got a better look at the pegasus up ahead that was grasping a cup of coffee. She appeared to have an opal coat and a two-toned yellow mane and tail. Her cutie mark was a bolt of lightning with three stars under it. Medusa shifted her eyes at Gilda.

"She's the one you mentioned? I thought you weren't exactly fond of ponies." She said quietly.

"This one's different, alright? She reminds me of somepony else is all… And if anything, she's plenty qualified for whatever it is you got going on in that sick head of yours." Gilda shot back.

"I'll be the judge of that..." Medusa said with a smirk as she approached the slouching pegasus on her left. She noticed the pegasus beared a bitter look in her yellow eyes. Medusa stared quietly at her and wondered if Gilda's words held true.

"Hey, Lightning Dust. How's it hanging?" Gilda said nonchalantly, grabbing the mare's attention after her ears lifted up at the sound of the griffon's voice. She looked up at Gilda.

"Oh, hey Gilda. Didn't think you'd come here around this time." She said lazily, before sipping her coffee "What brings you around here?" Gilda pointed a talon at Medusa, and Lightning Dust followed her talon, only to flinch at the sight "Aaaand you are?" She asked as she shifted away from the hooded mare.

"Medusa. And you would be happy to know that Gilda was kind enough to lead me to you." Medusa said with a smile. Lightning Dust looked over at Gilda with an incredulous expression.

"You serious? Who's this pony, Gilda?" She asked in surprise. Gilda held up her claws in a placating motion.

"Just somepony I met, alright? I wanted to introduce you to her was all..." She said, nervous about both Medusa and the fact that she was telling a half-truth towards Lightning Dust. The aforementioned pony looked over at Medusa with a calculating glance.

"Not that it's any of my business, but why the cloak? You hiding something?" Lightning Dust asked. She and Gilda were thrown off when Medusa cringed uncharacteristically.

"Only my appearance; I'm quite shy about my figure, you know. Some ponies can be so quick to judge about me..." She said with feigned embarrassment. Lightning Dust and Gilda merely stared at Medusa's gesture, the latter sending a deadpan stare.

"Okay, so why come here? What's your thing with Gilda?" Lightning Dust asked inquisitively.

"Oh, it's not so much with her as it is with you as well. I'm gathering some assistants for some research, and according to Gilda, you'd make a fine addition to my little team." Medusa said "If you'd like, we could discuss this further in a more appropriate area."

Lightning Dust blinked at Medusa's explanation. Not only did she leave out how she had met Gilda, but she brought up the topic of research as if Gilda actually enjoyed the idea. She looked back at Gilda with a confused expression.

"Seriously, what happened when you met this pony? And research? Aren't you a griffon and not some kind of nerd?" Lightning Dust prodded, causing Gilda to grit her teeth.

"She didn't tell me the full details, alright?" Gilda nearly snapped before she took a deep breath "Look, let's all just go to my place and talk this over. It's not too far from here."

"Excellent. Why don't you lead us back home, Gilda? This could be quite the experience for you and your friend once I share with you what I'm working on..." Medusa said almost cheerfully, easily hiding the dark glee in her tone.

Gilda rolled her eyes, but then noticed that some of the other griffons were glancing at her and the ponies. She glared at the onlookers "What're you all looking at?" She spat, causing the other griffons to quickly look away and act as if they were talking amongst themselves and sipping their coffee nervously.

"Well, if the matter's settled, let's depart from here, shall we? I wish to get started soon." Medusa said in a seemingly polite manner. Lightning Dust merely hopped up from her stool after setting some bits on the counter.

"Alright, fine. But this better be good. I got my own stuff to worry about, so don't be quick to assume I'll just work with you." Lightning Dust was unaware that Gilda was trying to maintain a calm impression, but was inwardly anxious over the pegasus' choice of words towards Medusa. The hooded pony merely smiled at Lightning Dust.

"No worries. I do hope to convince you once we arrive. For all you know, it could be quite interesting..." She said as she luckily suppressed the urge to smile deviously 'Such a callous little brat. She has no idea what lies ahead of her...Once I assess this world and its features, perhaps I can try and recreate another kishin. This time, I'll make sure that nothing stands in my way...'

End of Chapter 9

Author's Note:

See, Crona? This is why we can't have nice things!! *Read Chapter 8 for the joke*

Now we're met with a bitch witch that can bend a griffon to her will. But will she succeed in the same goal as before?

Insanity IS doing the same thing over again, is it not? :pinkiecrazy:

Special thanks for editing goes to Pixel Brony, and proofreading goes to Dawn Flower.

Enjoy the chapter, folks. Peace! :twilightsmile: