• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter3

Chapter 3

That night at Twilight's library, Twilight and Spike had everything ready when there is a knock at the door. Spike answered and found Rainbow Dash waiting on the step.

“Hi Wonderbolt!” said Spike, “you're the first to arrive.”

Rainbow Dash giggled, “Hi Spike, you know me; always have to be first.”

“Come on in and tell us what you think,” invited Twilight.

There is a banner that says 'Good Luck Rainbow Dash' above a table full of food.

Rainbow Dash is touched. “It looks great Twilight. Thanks a lot for doing this.”

“What are friends for?” said Twilight. “You're about to fulfill your dream. What kind of friends would we be if we didn't show you how we feel?”

There's another knock and Spike answered. Pinky Pie bounced in carrying a large box which she sets on the table.

“Hi every pony, hiya Spike,” she said.

“Hi Pinky Pie,” said Spike. “We're just getting started. What's in the box?”

“It's a surprise!” she said.

Rainbow Dash whispered aside to Spike “It's a cake.”

Spike laughed, “What else?” Rainbow Dash and Spike were still laughing when there's another knock.

“I'll get this one Spike,” said Twilight.

Twilight answered the door and Rarity stepped inside. Applejack and Fluttershy could be seen coming up the road but were still some distance away.

“Good evening Twilight,” said Rarity, “I'm not late am I?”

“Right on time, Rarity,” replied Twilight, “please come in.”

Rarity exchanged greetings with the others as Twilight waited by the door for the last two guests.
Applejack and Fluttershy could be seen exchanging words that Twilight couldn't hear.

“Remember Fluttershy,” said Applejack in a low voice, “just try to enjoy the dinner. We at least have this one evening to enjoy each others company. And we owe it to Rainbow Dash to not give her more to fret about than she already has.”

“You're right,” said Fluttershy quietly, “I'll do my best. I was upset before, and I guess I still am, but I'm okay now. At least I can get through this without crying. And it's not really goodbye yet anyway. She'll be back next week.”

“That's right,” said Applejack with a smile. “Come on, Twilight's a waitin' on us.”

After dinner the ponies talked for a while but both Rainbow Dash and Rarity had things to do so the ponies decided to make it an early night. It had been a good meal between close friends and a pretty happy affair even though the laughter was sometimes forced since some of the ponies knew that their friend could be leaving them permanently to pursue her dream.

“Well, I hate to leave,” said Rarity at last, “but I must or I'll never have our guest of honor's flight suit ready by tomorrow.”

“Sorry to be a pain, Rarity,” said Rainbow Dash. “I came over as soon as I found out.”

“It's alright dear,” said Rarity, brushing aside Rainbow Dash's concern, “can't be helped. Anyway, I'd stay up all night to make sure you were properly attired for your big adventure. But it won't come to that, I made good headway this afternoon.”

“I guess we should get a move on too.” said Applejack, “but I'll be here to see ya off Rainbow Dash. You can count on that.”

“Me too,” said Fluttershy with a forced smile. “Good night everypony, goodnight Spike. I wish every dinner could be like this one.” She quickly followed Applejack out the door.

“I should get going too,” said Rainbow Dash. “I still have some packing to do. Thanks for everything Twilight. And Pinky Pie, that was a great cake.”

“Um, Rainbow Dash? Can I ask you something?” asked Pinky Pie in a somber tone.

“Sure Pinky Pie,” answered Rainbow Dash. “What do ya want to know?”

“When you become a Wonderbolt, where will you live?” asked the pink pony.

Rainbow Dash was caught somewhat off guard. She had been doing her best to not think about that and had been very successful. “I...I'll be moving to Cloudsdale, Pinky Pie. It's where the Wonderbolts are headquartered.”

“Oh my,” said Twilight, “I didn't know that.”

“I didn't know either,” said Pinky Pie. “Mrs. Cake brought it up today when I told her about Rainbow Dash going to try out.”

“Maybe I should have said something at dinner,” said Rainbow Dash bitterly. “I already had to explain this to Rarity this morning. I'm such an idiot sometimes.”

“It's okay, Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight. “And you're not an idiot. We should have realized you couldn't stay here and still be a Wonderbolt.”

“I'll bet that's why Fluttershy sounded the way she did when you asked her to the dinner,” said Spike. “She lived in Cloudsdale, she would have to know.”

“We're gonna miss you so much Dashie!” said Pinky Pie, unable to contain her feelings any longer.

“I'll miss you too, all of you,” said the blue pegasus. “This is something I just have to do. I always said I was the best flier in Equestria and now I have a chance to prove it.”

“I understand Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight Sparkle. “You have to go. If you don't try, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering.”

“Exactly,” said Rainbow Dash with a sigh. “I'm glad you understand Twilight. Do you Pinky Pie? Do you understand?”

“Yes,” said Pinky Pie as she looked at the floor. “I just wish it could be different. I like things the way they are.”

“Life doesn't stay the same Pinky Pie,” said Twilight. “It's always changing. Like when I was sent here to Ponyville.”

“I know,” said Pinky Pie sadly. “Rainbow Dash, I hope you make your dream come true. I hope you become the greatest flier ever. Just don't forget us, please.”

Rainbow Dash is deeply moved and struggled to keep her voice even. “I could never do that Pinky Pie. Anyway, I ..I might not even make it. There's no sense in getting all worked up before we know if I'm really leaving or not.”

“You'll make it Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight, “we have complete faith in you. You'll always be our friend, no matter what.”

Rainbow Dash felt the need to leave. She wanted to fly to Cloudsdale right then and there to avoid the farewells in the morning. Crying, she thought, was not cool. “I've got to go now. G..got a lot to do.” She sniffed and turned her head away.

“Sure Dash, you go ahead,” said Pinky Pie. “I'll help Twilight clean up. You go pack and get a good nights sleep. Don't want you getting lost on the way to Cloudsdale.”

Rainbow Dash managed a little chuckle, “Y.. yeah, alright. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Pinky, Twilight, Spike.”

Spike mumbled something inaudible. He too was silently crying and didn't want to show it.
“Good night Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight as she walked Rainbow Dash to the door. “You just concentrate on what you need to do. Don't worry about us.”

Rainbow Dash left and as she flew away she said to herself, “I don't need to worry about you. You still have each other. I'm the one who'll be alone.”

PreviousChapters Next