• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27

Chapter 27


Immelmane stepped in beside Rainbow Dash and quietly said, “Walk with me please, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash's smile vanished at Immelmane's strange tone but she followed him away from the group.

Immelmane waited for Rainbow Dash to come up beside him and walked beside her down the hill toward the lake. Rainbow Dash's head was hanging now. The joy for her friend was left with the group and only her disappointment remained.

“Please, no lecture Mr. Immelmane,” she begged. “Not now.”

“No, no lecture,” said Immelmane. “Now get your head up! You should be proud.”

Rainbow Dash barely heard his words and didn't respond. He took a quick step and slapped her on the neck with his wing, just enough to sting a little.

“Get your head up!” said Immelmane sharply. “The greatest flier in Equestria does not walk with her nose in the dirt!”

Rainbow Dash instantly raised her head but didn't look at Immelmane. “Tell me why I lost.”

“Who said you lost?” replied Immelmane. “You won today's contest. We all agreed on that. We picked Windyday for the present position because she is most prepared to fill in immediately. You are another matter. I have a proposal for you.”

“No offense, Mr. Immelmane,” said Rainbow Dash dryly, “but don't you think you're a little old for me?”

Immelmane laughed. “Yes, sadly, I am. But that is not the type of proposal I meant. You have two options. First, you can still be on the Wonderbolts team. Though there is only one position right now, another is opening up at the end of next month. It's yours if you want it.”

Rainbow Dash was stunned. “Do I want it? Of course I do!”

“Ah! But there is a second option,” said Immelmane. “I know you've seen the Wonderbolts perform more than once, so you know the typical format. There is an opening act, then the Wonderbolts, another solo act during a rest break and then the finale. Tell me, what did you think of the opening and intermission acts?”

“They're okay sometimes, mostly they're kinda boring.”

“Exactly!” said Immelmane. “We want to change that. I was asked to train a solo performer and to work up some routines. I agreed on the condition that I had the right to choose the aerialist. I choose you. We want you to be our opening act and to perform during intermission. You'll be the featured solo performer at all of our shows.”

Rainbow Dash was unimpressed. “I don't know. Nobody really watches those acts.”

“That is because those acts aren't Rainbow Dash,” said Immelmane. “I admit the first show or two might be a little rough but when word gets out, you'll be a star. You are by far the best flier we've ever seen, maybe the best we ever will see. I think you can be even better, providing I can keep you alive. We want a pegasus that can make the earth ponies and unicorns wish they had wings and make pegasi wish they could fly like you.”

Rainbow Dash wavered. “Wow, this is a lot to take in. I have to admit, it's tempting.”

“You will be well paid of course, but since you would be a solo performer you would not be staying in the compound except when you come to train. We're short on room as it is. You and the other contestants are using some of the rooms of the staff and Wonderbolts. We gave a lot of ponies some time off so we could use them.”

“Where would I live?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Anywhere you like,” said Immelmane, “though I don't recommend Manehatten or Fillydelphia due to the distance. I would work with you one or two days a week, usually on the weekends. But I expect you to practice hard, everyday, on your own. Before every show we'll train for a few days in advance to tune you up.”

“I could stay in Ponyville?” asked Rainbow Dash.

Immelmane smiled. “Certainly, if you'd like but I'm sure we can find you a place in Cloudsdale if you want to move back home.”

“That's okay, thanks,” said Rainbow Dash. “I think I've made up my mind. Just answer one question for me; have you been talking to Spitfire?”

“Every day,” replied Immelmane. “She's very insightful you know.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Alright, I'll do it. Who's going to get the second position?”

“Firewing,” said Immelmane, “and Frost is going to be a reserve Wonderbolt. We've decided to keep one male and one female in reserve permanently. We've canceled or postponed several shows over the past few years and we want to keep the fans happy. Technically you will be on reserve status also but we hope you won't be needed.”

“So we're all in?” said Rainbow Dash as she grasped the situation. “That's great! That's just...heeeey wait a minute. You guys tricked us! We were thinking that only one of us was going to be a Wonderbolt but you've known since Wednesday that we were all in. We went through all that stress and pressure and you knew we were all in!”

“Yes, but we didn't know who was going to get what job,” said Immelmane, obviously pleased with himself. “That was decided today. Besides, we needed to know how you perform under pressure. This isn't an easy job.”

“I'll tell the girls,” said Dash. “You, Soarin and Spitfire can get a head start.”

Immelmane was confused. “A..head start?”

“For when Frost figures it out,” said Dash.

Immelmane laughed. “I think she'll be fine. This group has been amazing. You've bonded more than is usual with competitors. You cheered each other on. You worked together, even the ones that were eliminated. And putting on shows for the fans! No competitors have ever done that.”

“It was fun,” said Rainbow Dash. “I think we'll have to get something special ready for tonight. We should go back and tell the others. We can't keep them in suspense forever.”

Immelmane shook his head. “I'm sure Spitfire and Soarin have explained everything to them by now. I want you to walk with me a little longer because you are going to get that lecture now.”

Rainbow Dash frowned. “Uh oh, it's about that last trick I did isn't it?”

“Yes,” said Immelmane. “It was very dangerous. So dangerous that your closest competitors were willing to quit rather than see you risk it.”

“I know,” said Rainbow Dash. “I feel happy and sad at the same time. Happy that they think so much of me and sad that I upset them that much. I never thought they'd do something like that.”

Immelmane sighed. “Consequences, Rainbow Dash, there are always consequences for what we do. Many times they are unpredictable. Do you know how I was injured?”

“Not really,” admitted Dash. “Rumors. I never listened to them. When I was little they were scary. After I got older I knew that's all they were; scary stories made up by older ponies to scare the little ones.”

Immelmane chuckled grimly. “And so I pass into legend. I've heard some of those stories and how I wish they were true. I will tell you the true story now. It happened over there, on the other side of the lake. I was only a little older than you are now. My friend and I were racing. We were very close friends, like brothers, and we were evenly matched. He was faster but I could out turn him. We raced often. We tried to outdo each others stunts.

Immelmane paused and gazed across the lake. “There was a forest there then. It burned a long time ago. It was dry and there was a lightning strike. Poor management by the weather team. The trees are still not nearly the size they were then. One day we were racing, after a long time in the sky we came down and wove through the trees. You know what that's like, don't you?”

“Yes,” said Rainbow Dash. She felt a chill even though they are standing in the warm sun.

“We were just having fun,” continued the old pegasus. “A friendly race between two good friends. At any rate, I managed to get slightly ahead of him. He tried to pass and we became separated by the trees. We couldn't see each other. As we neared the lake he suddenly turned through a gap in the forest at the same time I did. We collided and we both went out of control through the forest. I hit a tree with my left wing and broke it. He hit a branch with his chest and it sent him up and into the lake. I couldn't fly with one wing and crashed into that pile of rocks over there. That was the last thing I remembered until I awoke in the hospital. My friend had not been badly injured and had gone for help.”

Rainbow Dash was silent. She stared at Immelmane with pity in her eyes.

“My friend was there and the doctor,” said Immelmane. “They told me that I'd never be able to fly again. The doctor had wanted to remove my damaged wing but my friend wouldn't let him. I'm eternally grateful for that, for at least I can still glide. My friend was in tears and apologized over and over again. I forgave him. It was easy to do that. It was half my fault anyway. We were doing something foolish and we paid the price. What happened next was not so easy to forgive.”

“What could be worse?” asked Rainbow Dash in a shaky voice.

“When he left my room that day,” said Immelmane, “it was the last time I saw him. He blamed himself for the accident, you see? He couldn't forgive himself. He couldn't bear the pain of seeing what he felt he had done to me. He left Cloudsdale and never returned.”

“What happened to him?” asked Rainbow Dash quietly.

“I don't know,” said Immelmane. “It took a long time for me to recover. I sent messages all over Equestria. The mare he was seeing sent some too. Our friends went out searching but the few that did see him said he would fly away as soon as he recognized them. Only one actually talked to him. He said he was glad that I was getting well, but that it was better that I try to forget about him. He said he was sorry again, sorry for everything. That was the last any pony in Cloudsdale heard from him.”

“I get it, Mr. Immelmane,” said Rainbow Dash, wishing the story to end.

Immelmane snorted. “Do you really? Well, let me finish the story. I went on. I recovered. I became a teacher. I'd like to think I was a good one. I married and we had two foals. Both of them live in Canterlot now and have foals of their own. And here I am, old and respected, the choreographer and trainer of the best aerobatics team in Equestria. Though my wife passed away a few years ago and I miss her terribly, I am happy. I have had a rich, full life. But my friend, he was destroyed and I am the one who is sorry for that. That mare he was seeing wed another pony. We are still friends and I see her now and then. I was injured and lost my ability to fly but the one who was uninjured lost everything he had and could have been. We both lost a life time of companionship. All because of a race between friends. So tell me, who owes who an apology now?”

Rainbow Dash couldn't speak and was trying unsuccessfully not to cry.

“You might be wondering what my story has to do with your trick this morning,” said Immelmane. “You have friends, Rainbow Dash, here and in Ponyville. If you had failed this morning, what would it have done to them? Those ponies up there on the hill would have witnessed a horrible crash. The ones in Ponyville might have only memories of that happy, daring pegasus they loved who flew away and never came back. Do you really want to do that to Firewing or Frost or Windyday or your friends in Ponyville? They might recover and tell tales about you years from now, but I think they'd much rather have you around.”

Rainbow Dash started crying openly and leaned against Immelmane.

“I'm sorry,” said Immelmane, seeing what his tale was doing to the young pegasus. “perhaps I went too far. I know this is a dangerous business and ponies can get hurt. That's why I try to make things as safe as I can.” He put his wing around her as she leaned on him. “Come on, lets go back and talk to the others. Come on. It's alright. You managed to do the impossible...again.”

Rainbow Dash managed to snort out a laugh.

* * *
They headed back up the hill together. The others are waiting. They are all smiling and happy.

“Well?” asked Spitfire.

Immelmane nodded.

“Rainbow Dash has accepted the position of featured solo artist,” said Spitfire. “That means Firewing will be taking the second Wonderbolt position that will be opening next month and Frost will be our reserve performer.”

The ponies cheer and congratulated the winners and each other. Firewing went to Rainbow Dash as Immelmane continued walking over to Soarin.

“I'm glad you took the solo position,” said Firewing. “Thank you so much.”

“Nothing to thank me for Firewing,” sniffed Rainbow Dash. “It's the best for both of us.”

“Are you okay?” asked Firewing. “You look like you've been crying.”

“What did Immelmane say to you?” said Frost angrily. “He has no business chewing you out for that move you did. I should give him a piece of my mind.”

“No! Frosty, it's not like that!” said Dash. “He just told me a story. That's all.”

“Must have been some story,” said Frost. “Wait, he told you the story, didn't he? He told you what happened to him?”

“Yeah, but I don't want to talk about it right now,” said Rainbow Dash. “I'm not sure I can. It's ...I..I'll never think of him the same way again.” She hung her head and drew her foreleg across her eyes.

“Wow, can't you tell us anything?” asked Firewing.

“He really cares about us,” said Rainbow Dash, as she regained her composure. “Never forget that.”

“I'll take your word for it,” said Frost. “So what now? Are we putting on a show later?”

“We have to,” said Firewing. “What do you think we should do this time?”

“We do have a choreographer now, fellow Wonderbolts,” said Dash with a smile.

“I'd rather we do it ourselves,” said Frost, “but I'll go along.”

“Hey girls,” called Firewing, “come over here for a minute.”

They discussed their options for a final show. Most of the eliminated contestants wanted Immelmane's help if only to say they had worked with him.

“Well Dash, you seem to have something with him,” said Frost, “you ask him.”

Rainbow Dash did not really want to talk to Immelmane at this point but she agreed. Immelmane was talking to Soarin and Spitfire as she approached.

“Uh, Excuse me, Mr. Immelmane,” she began, “we were wondering if maybe you could give us a few ideas for a show. We'd like to fly together this afternoon one last time. Something like what we did last night.”
“I think I could help you out a little,” replied Immelmane. He turned to Soarin. “We can finish this up later, alright?”

“Sure, go ahead,” said Soarin.

Immelmane came over and looked the nine competitors over. “First of all, I think the four who made the team should each repeat the routine they used today. They were all wonderful and the audience will love it. It takes a long time to put together a good formation routine for this many so we're not going to do it. Have any of you ever done any sky dancing?”

All the ponies but Rainbow Dash and Frost answer yes.

“Good, I'll pair you up,” said Immelmane. “Goldmane and Starshine, Sunrise Cloud, how are you feeling?”

“Pretty good, but nothing too violent please,” said Sunrise Cloud. “my side is more of a problem than my wing.”

Immelmane smiled. “Good, you'll be flying with Sweet Clover. Spitfire! Come here please.”

“Yes?” said Spitfire as she joined the group.

“Feel up for a little sky dancing?” asked Immelmane.


“I suppose,” said Spitfire. “Why?”

“The girls here want to put on a little show like they did last night. Care to join them?” asked Immelmane.

“I'd be honored,” said Spitfire. “What are we doing?”

“Three pairs of synchronized dancers,” said Immelmane. “You'll be paired with Razor. You will all fly in a line towards Cloudsdale; Spitfire and Razor in lead, then Sweet Clover and Sunrise Cloud, then Goldmane and Starshine. You four will follow in the order you performed this morning. Spitfire, do you remember that dance called Two Winds?”

“Sure, very pretty,” said Spitfire.

“Do a walk through with the dance pairs and then demonstrate with Razor,” said Immelmane. “I have to go over some alternate endings with the others.”

“Okay girls, come with me,” said Spitfire. She lead the ponies away.

“You'll need a different way to end your routine since you won't be landing,” said Immelmane. “Do any of you have anything in mind?”

The ponies all thought for a bit.

Rainbow Dash was the first to respond. “I could do an 'orbit' instead of going into a stall.”
“And that would be what exactly?” Immelmane asked.

“Just a series of loops around the same point,” said Rainbow Dash. “Back in flight school they taught us about doing a perfect loop and the instructor told us to try to imagine staying the same distance from a point in the air as you do it. It's like that except that each time you go around you alter your course a little so you don't just keep doing the same loop. I usually do six loops and end up back in the same loop I started.”

“Interesting,” said Immelmane, “where did you learn that?”

“I sort of came up with it on my own,” said Dash. “I never used it much but it looks pretty good if you do it tight.”

“I think I know what you mean,” said Frost, “could you show us?”

“Sure, it's nothing very flashy.” Rainbow Dash took off and gained enough speed to do the loops. Since she had done this many times, she did it easily and landed back by the group.

“Sun and Moon, Rainbow Dash, why didn't you put that in your routine?” asked Windy. “That's a good little move you have there.”

“Thanks Windy,” said Dash. “I didn't think it was anything special. It's good exercise though.”

Immelmane shook his head. “You're just full of surprises. Go ahead and use it, it does look good.”

“I thought I'd do a vertical side spin after my final loop and then flip into a side wing display,” said Frost. “Then I can dive to get some speed and fly up to altitude.”

“I've seen you do that,” said Immelmane. “It looks good and the audience loves it. That would be fine.”

“My landing is backwards,” said Windy, “I could go into a series of flips and then pull out inverted.”

Immelmane nodded. “That would be good. After you fly a little way inverted do one those snap rolls back to level flight. You do those beautifully. That leaves you Firewing, any ideas?”

Firewing seemed a little embarrassed. “This is kind of silly. What if when I go into my final loop I just keep going vertical instead? I'll start spinning as I rise and allow myself to stall and then drop down the same line still spinning. I'll drop pretty far and then just flip into a dive and pull out.”

“That would be fine,” said Immelmane, “the Wonderbolts used to do a similar move. Why do you think it's silly?”

“I tried to put it into a routine once but my coach wouldn't let me,” said Firewing. “He said it was amateurish.”

“I'm glad you made the cut Firewing,” said Frost. “it would have been a terrible waste if you had to stay in Manehatten with a stick in the mud like that.”

“Alright, that's settled,” said Immelmane. “Now after you're done, go to altitude and wait for the others by circling. When Rainbow Dash joins you, give her a moment to rest and then Spitfire will lead you into a dive and a wide banking turn, a roll and back to the compound. Stay spread out and don't worry about keeping an interval so if you want to do a little ad lib move you'll have the room. Go ahead and relax now and rest up. It will take the others an hour or so to practice.”

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed that part even though it was sad. There is still more to come.

PreviousChapters Next