• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33

Chapter 33

The next morning the five ponies and Spike started planning the victory celebration. They had barely started when there was a knock at the door. Spike answered and was surprised to see the Mayor.

“Ms. Mayor,” said Spike, “come in.”

“Thank you Spike,” said the mayor.

“Ms. Mayor, what a surprise!” said Twilight. “To what do we owe the honor?”

“It seems you heard some news about the Wonderbolts tryouts,” said the mayor. “I thought you might want to let the town help in the celebration.”

“How did you know?” asked Twilight.

“No one told me directly but it's all over town. Rainbow Dash won the tryouts.” She seemed a little put out.

“We didn't mean to keep it a secret from you,” said Twilight. “It's just that we sort of spied on Rainbow Dash and didn't want her to find out.”

“I understand but it's too late now, everypony in town knows,” said the mayor. “So, when is Rainbow Dash coming home?”

“There's a big party tonight in Cloudsdale when they make the official announcement” said Twilight. “She should be back tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” said the mayor with a frown, “that doesn't leave us much time! I'm sure everypony will want to be there.”

“Maybe we could delay it a day or two?” suggested Twilight. “She'll be tired when she gets here tomorrow. We were just planning to have a little get together among ourselves to welcome her back.”

“That might be a good idea,” agreed the mayor. “It would give me time to make the proper arrangements. Maybe she'd even give us a little demonstration. I wouldn't want her to have to do that after flying all the way from Cloudsdale.”

“Of course not!” said Rarity, “It could be dangerous for her. Give her a day or two to rest. Aside from the flight home, the tryouts lasted all week. That must have been grueling.”

“You're right,” said the mayor. “We'll wait until Tuesday to have the celebration. You can tell her when she gets back. I'm sure she'll be thrilled.”

“Oh, I'm sure she will,” said Twilight, wondering how Rainbow Dash would take it.

“Well, it looks like I have some work to do,” said the mayor. “Let me know when she gets back. I'll want to include you all in the celebration of course, since you are so close. I'll talk to you later. Let me know if you have any ideas.”

“We will, bye for now,” said Twilight as the mayor rushed off.

“Great,” said Applejack, “how are we going to explain this?”

“We won't have to,” said Twilight, “a couple of days delay is enough for the results to become common knowledge.”

“I think it's a great idea!” said Pinky Pie. “Rainbow Dash loves attention and she'll be there in front of the whole town.”

“This should be more than just us,” said Rarity. “The whole town should help her celebrate.”

“Let's still do our own welcome back party anyway,” said Applejack. “Give Rainbow Dash a chance to relax with her friends. Besides, I want to hear what all happened at the tryouts straight from the horse's mouth.”

“I can handle the food,” volunteered Pinky Pie.

“I'll do the decorations,” said Rarity.

“Maybe Applejack can help Pinky Pie and I can help you Rarity,” said Fluttershy. “I mean, if it's alright with you.”

“Good idea Fluttershy,” said Applejack.

“What should Spike and I do?” asked Twilight.

“Maybe you could think of a nice gift?” said Rarity. “Something from all of us.”

“I could do that,” said Twilight. “Any suggestions?”

“Something that shows how proud we are of her,” said Applejack.

“Something so she'll remember us after she moves away,” said Pinky Pie.

“Something beautiful,” said Rarity. “Well, what did you expect me to say?”

“Maybe something to do with flying,” said Fluttershy.

“Okay! That should be enough suggestions,” said Twilight, already thinking. “Spike, you can help me.”

“Sure Twilight, what should I do?” asked Spike.

“Just give me a moment,” said Twilight. “All right girls, you go get started. We can start decorating after dinner tonight.”

PreviousChapters Next