• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38

Chapter 38

“How much of that did you hear?” asked Windyday as the pair flew away from Cloudsdale.

“Err...a good bit,” admitted Rainbow Dash, blushing. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdrop.”

“It's okay,” said Windy. “It might be better if you know. At least I didn't get started on all the things I missed because I was practicing, training and competing. I guess if I hadn't done all that work I wouldn't be a Wonderbolt now. I don't have your natural talent.”

“Maybe,” said Rainbow Dash, “but look at Firewing or Frost. You know they trained hard to get here but they aren't like you. um.. I mean they aren't like the way you were.”

Windy laughed. “I know what you mean.”

Rainbow Dash laughed too. “I saw you change while you were talking to your parents. That was kinda scary. I thought they got to you and the old Windy was coming back. Then you changed back again. How do you do that?”

“Practice,” said Windy with a frown. “You just look at everything without emotion and don't let anything touch you. It isn't easy at first but the more you do it, the easier it gets. You feel less and less and become emptier and emptier. I don't advise trying it.”

“Yeah,” said the blue pony, “I think I'll pass. So why did you do it?”

“At first it was just a way to concentrate, it is good for that. Later, it was a way to shut out pain and loneliness.” Windyday paused and looked thoughtfully at Rainbow Dash. “I still intend to use the technique when I fly. It's too useful to just give it up. It might come in handy when I get upset like I just did too,” she laughed. “Better that than fighting.”

“Maybe I should have learned it,” said Dash laughing, “I could have stayed out of a lot of trouble. It got your mom and dad's attention that's for sure.”

“Yes,” said Windy grimly, though she was still smiling. “I hope it got through to them. I'm not going to live like I did. Not anymore.”

“Think they'll jump in the lake?” asked Dash.

“No,” said Windy with a sigh. “They wouldn't think it 'proper'. Forget about them for now, we have a race to fly.”

“That looks like Spitfire over there,” said Rainbow Dash, “and a few others too. Looks like we'll have an audience.”

“There's Goldy and Starshine,” said Windy. “Probably came to see me get beat. Can't say that I blame them.”

Rainbow Dash said nothing, remembering Goldmane's comment from the day they first met. Suddenly they were both startled by a red blur passing in front of them. Both ponies pulled up slightly and then they saw Firewing pull up into view.

Firewing glanced back smiling. “I was afraid I was going to miss the race,” she said, “but if you're going to fly that slow, maybe I should join in.”

“Ha!” cried Dash, “you're in front of us but I bet we can catch you before we get to Spitfire.”

Firewing stuck out her tongue.

“Get her!” cried Windy.

Firewing squealed and took off towards the group of ponies as fast as she could with Windyday and Rainbow Dash in hot pursuit. Firewing didn't have nearly enough head start to beat either of her friends to where Spitfire stood. Rainbow Dash caught her first but Windyday wasn't far behind. The three friends zipped past the ponies at the starting line, circled and landed.

“Good one Firewing,” said Windy. “you scared the feathers off me.”

“Sorry,” said Firewing, “but I just couldn't resist. It isn't often I get a chance to blaze past two speedsters like you.”

“Where were you?” asked Rainbow Dash. “We had no clue you were even around.”

“I was just messing around and ended up really high over Cloudsdale. When I saw you leave I started to follow. I just started diving to catch up and when I saw how fast I was gaining...”

“You just had to mess with us,” finished Rainbow Dash. “Well, you got us good. Heh heh.”

Spitfire walked up to the three newest Wonderbolts. “Not too tired to race I hope,” she said. Unlike during most of the week she was wearing her flight suit and a pair of goggles dangled from her neck.

“Not me,” said Rainbow Dash, “I'm barely warmed up.”

“You look like you're ready for a race yourself, Spitfire,” said Windy.

Spitfire smiled. “Though she may have forgotten it, Rainbow Dash challenged me to a race too.” She stared at Dash with narrowed eyes and a fierce smile. “I never back away from a challenge.”

Rainbow Dash was surprised and more than a little embarrassed. The night she challenged Spitfire was not a moment she wanted to keep in her mental scrapbook. “Um...Okay,” she said, feeling her adrenaline rising, “are you going to race with us or do you want to race me after I take care of Windy?”

Spitfire laughed, “I'll race with you two, if that's alright with Windy. I wouldn't want to give you any excuses.”

“Okay with me,” said Windy, “at least I won't be last that way.”

Several ponies in the crowd started to laugh. Windyday and Rainbow Dash turned to look and saw the the group of onlookers included all of the Wonderbolts. Starshine and Goldy were there as were Razor , Sweet Clover and Weather. There were several other ponies that they didn't know.

Spitfire turned and looked at her teammates and laughed along with them. “Looks like we have a couple of little hotshots here gang,” said Spitfire as she put on her goggles, “lets see if they can beat an old lady. Alright fillies, the course is all set up. We borrowed a few clouds from the weather ponies and set them up there.”

Spitfire pointed to the sky. “The big cloud is the starting point. Frost is there and will act as our starter. Sunrise Cloud is on the first turn, Razor will take the second turn and Sweet Clover will take the third turn, if she can tear herself away from her colt friend.” There was more laughter. “The turns are a quarter of a mile apart making the total course a mile. It's a five mile race so five laps and done. I'm going to warm up. Whenever you're ready, come on up to the cloud.”

* * *
The three racers took off and exercised their wings, preparing to race. Razor and Sweet Clover flew to their clouds. Rainbow Dash flew down to the first turn to talk to Sunrise Cloud.

“How are you feeling Sunrise?” asked the blue pony.

“Pretty good,” replied Sunrise, “still a little achy but I'm almost back to flying normally. I never did thank you for coming to help me after I got hit. Thanks for checking on me.”

“I didn't really do much,” replied Rainbow Dash, “wish I could have got there quicker.”

“Yeah, well, thanks all the same,” said Sunrise. “You'd better get to the starting line. It looks like Spitfire and Windy are ready. How bad are you going to beat them?”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “I'm just hoping I do beat them. This should be a good race. You're right, I'd better get going.”

* * *
As Rainbow Dash was talking to Sunrise Cloud, Spitfire and Windy spoke as they waited at the starting line. “So what do you think her strategy will be,” asked Spitfire.

“Strategy?” replied Windyday with a laugh. “I don't think she has much of a strategy. She'll take the lead and just fly away from us. Our only hope is that she lacks endurance, but I doubt it.”

“If you're that certain of losing, why the race?” asked Spitfire.

“Curiosity,” replied Windy. “When she challenged me, I was...well, different. I just wanted to do whatever I could to become better at flying. Testing myself against the fastest pony in Equestria seemed like a good experiment.”

Spitfire found this disturbing. “That's it? An experiment?”

“I said I was different,” said Windy, “anyway, I agreed to race and I can't very well back out. What about you? I didn't know Dash challenged you too.”

“Well, she was upset and said it in the heat of the moment but I thought I'd have a little fun with her,” said Spitfire. “Besides, she might enjoy it. She's never raced against one of the team before, not including the contestants of course.”

On the ground Firewing was talking her new teammates. They welcomed her to the team but soon the talk drifted to the race.

Soarin asked the obvious question: “who is going to win?”

“Rainbow Dash will be first,” replied Firewing, “I'm not sure about Windy and Spitfire.”

“You don't think Spitfire can out fly Rainbow Dash?” said Fleetfoot. “Spitfire is a good racer and can easily do five miles. She has more experience too. I'll bet she beats them both. Windyday is fast too and I've seen her race. Both Spitfire and her probably have the advantage of a better strategy.”

“I don't think it will matter,” said Firewing with a shake of her mane. “Rainbow Dash is just plain fast. She'll just fly away from Windy and Spitfire and refuse to let them get close. Soarin saw the race on the first day of the try outs. He knows. I asked Dash afterward if she could have beat us even worse and she said 'of course'. This race is longer but not enough to make any difference.”

“Yes, I saw the race and that little blue mare beat every pony easily,” said Soarin, “but if she could have gone even faster... I don't know. She might have just been boasting, she does that a lot.”

The other ponies laughed. “Typical cheeky jock,” muttered Weather. The others stopped laughing and looked at him. Weather gave a nervous smile.

“Yeah,” replied Soarin, “that she is.” He laughed again and the others joined in.

Firewing saw that the racers appeared to be ready. “We'd better get up there,” she said, “I think they're going to start.” The spectators took wing and flew up to the cloud where Frost waited with the racers.

“Well,” said Frost, “it looks like everypony is here. Are the racers ready?”

Spitfire stretched one last time and adjusted her goggles. “I'm ready.”

Windyday put on her goggles and shook her mane and tail. Every hair fell into place. “Ready.”

“How do you do that?” said Rainbow Dash as she put on her goggles. “I'm ready too.”

Windyday looked puzzled and Firewing snickered.

Frost drew a line in the cloud with her hoof. “Here's the starting line. I'll give the ready, set, go. Soarin and I will judge the start and finish. If you are all ready, put your hooves on the line.”

The racers all stepped forward. Windyday took the inside track next to Frost, Spitfire took the next spot and Rainbow Dash took the outside position. Frost gave them a few seconds to settle into their starting stance. She took a deep breath. “Ready!....Set!...GO!”

The racers took off. Rainbow Dash tried to take her typical early lead but found that Spitfire was right on her tail. Windyday was some distance back. At first Rainbow Dash thought about accelerating away from the Wonderbolt captain but then she remembered the length of the race. She would need some energy for later. She maintained her pace and waited.

Windyday watched her opponents pull away from her. She was an experienced racer and was going to fly her race. She knew how to get her best time and had no intention of allowing her fellow racers to change her plan. If she was going to lose it was going to be by the least amount possible.

Rainbow Dash and Spitfire zipped past Sunrise Cloud and headed towards the next turn. Dash gained a few inches by taking the turn tighter but Spitfire was still right on her tail. A second or two later Windyday passed Sunrise and took the most efficient line towards the next turn. The racers flew past Razor, then Sweet Clover and headed towards the large cloud. As they neared, the ponies started to cheer them on. Most were cheering for Spitfire but a few, lead by Firewing and Weather, cheered for Rainbow Dash. Goldmane and Starshine cheered for Windyday, feeling that some pony should.

The second lap mirrored the first and Windyday continued to lag behind the leaders. When they passed Sweet Clover the second time, Windy was easily five seconds behind and by the end of the lap the gap had widened to ten seconds. Spitfire continued to keep pace with Rainbow Dash. Dash was able to take each turn tighter than the Wonderbolt's leader but the fire-maned pony carried more speed through the turn. Looking over her shoulder, it appeared to Rainbow Dash that Spitfire might try to pass at every turn. At the end of the second lap, the leader decided to apply more pressure.

The rainbow maned pony's wings beat faster and she began to pull away from Spitfire, but it was only for a moment. Spitfire increased her speed to match but still fell a half length behind. Windyday was also speeding up and narrowed the gap by nearly half by the time she reached Razor's turn. The third lap ended with Rainbow Dash still leading by a length and a half and Windyday still closing.

Rainbow Dash was becoming worried. There were only two laps remaining and Spitfire was still in a position to catch her. Looking back she was also aware that Windy was catching them both. She held her speed until after passing the second turn and began to accelerate again. This time she pulled away from the Wonderbolt mare by another length. But that was all as Spitfire again was able to match her speed. As they passed Frost and the cheering ponies she heard several voices calling out; 'One lap to go!' and cheering for all the racers.

Rainbow Dash knew she still had some energy to spend but she was not sure how long it would last. Once she used up that last reserve there would be little left to finish the race. When should she start her final kick? She remembered Windy talking about her race against Twister and how she started too late. 'Better sooner and burn out than have some left at the end and lose the race,' she thought. As soon as she passed Sunrise Cloud, Rainbow Dash started flying as fast as she could. She started drawing away from Spitfire. Windyday was in her finishing kick and wasn't losing any air space either. Windy closed in behind Spitfire as they rounded Razors turn and took aim on Rainbow Dash several lengths ahead.
Windyday started to pass Spitfire as they passed the final turn. She was putting on more speed. She completed the pass and tried to catch the golden suited pony in the lead. But Spitfire was not done, she too began to accelerate and pulled along side Windy.

In the lead, Rainbow Dash no longer looked back. She knew Windy and Spitfire were in their sprint to the finish and focused on making her tired wings flap faster. Her lungs burned and her heart pounded as the finish line drew near. The sound of the cheering ponies grew louder but she couldn't tell what they were saying. She dug deep inside herself and used all her remaining strength to fly faster. She flashed past her friend Frost and banked into a shallow climbing right turn. She glanced back and at first saw neither of her opponents. Then, below her right wing, she saw Spitfire's orange mane. The Wonderbolt leader was following in her wake. She banked harder and saw Windy complete a stall, nose over and dive back toward the finish line. She tried to call out to Spitfire but her voice was only a squeak and she found she was gasping for air. All three racers coasted for a while, slowly recovering from their exertions. They glided down to the cloud where the watchers were waiting. All three were still panting but were at least somewhat recovered.

Firewing immediately hugged Rainbow Dash. “I thought you were going to make me look like a fool but you came through in the end.”

“I won?” gasped out the exhausted blue pony.

“What?” exclaimed Firewing, “Of course you won. I thought they were both going to catch you but you pulled away at the end.”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “I...won...good.” It was all she could say.

“I'm not sure who came in second,” said Firewing. “I didn't have a good angle on the finish line and it was real close. Frost! Frost, who got second?”

The other ponies were debating this amongst themselves. Frost, who had been standing directly on the line, was beset by supporters of both Spitfire and Windyday. Soarin eventually took control.

“Alright, alright everypony,” he said “let's hear what Frost has to say. I was standing right across from her and I think I know who came in second. Come on Frost, tell us what you saw.”

Frost seemed reluctant but spoke up so all could hear. “Windyday by a nose.” There were groans and cheers. “It was really close and Spitfire was catching up but Windyday crossed first.”

Soarin sighed. “That's the way I saw it too. Sorry Spitfire, you didn't quite get her.”

Spitfire was still panting but nodded. “I didn't think I made it. Almost but not quite.”

Windyday smiled. “I didn't know if I made second until just now. I thought I had Spitfire when I passed her.” She paused for a deep breath. “I didn't expect her to come back like that. Neither of us could catch her though.” She pointed at Rainbow Dash.

“Wow, that was some race!” said Dash, she was still breathing hard. “No pony has pushed me like that in years. Thanks for the race you two!”

“Thanks for the race?!” said Soarin. “That was about the fastest five miler I've ever seen and you say 'thanks'? You really are something.”

“Hey, I gave up racing because I couldn't get any pony to race me,” replied Dash. “The race on Monday and today were the first good races I've had in years.”

“Well, you haven't lost your edge,” said Fleetfoot, “I thought you'd burn out at that pace but you had plenty of kick left at the end. You won by about twelve lengths. You flew a good race. Well planned.”

“Huh?” said Rainbow Dash, “All I did was get in front and go faster than them.”

Firewing laughed. “Told ya.”

“Told them what?” asked Dash.

“That you didn't have a strategy,” said Firewing.

“Sure I did!” said Dash indignantly. “Get in front and stay there.”

The ponies all laughed.

“Say what you want,” said Spitfire, “it worked. I even tried to get you to lose and it worked.”

“What do you mean?” asked Dash.

“I decided to stay on your tail no matter what,” said Spitfire. “I tried to tire you out so that Windy or I could catch you at the end. I knew Windy would just fly her own race. I figured she might catch Dash and then I'd have a chance to rest and break through at the end.”

“Now that is called a strategy,” said Firewing.

“I wish I had known,” said Windyday, “I might have been able to do something different. You're right Spitfire; I flew my own race. I knew what I had to do to get my best time and I did it.”

“I thought about planning something out with you,” admitted Spitfire, “but it seemed too much like cheating. Maybe I should have; I have to do something to keep up with you young ones.”

“You're not doing too bad if you can keep up with these two,” pointed out Soarin. “You barely lost to a pony eight years younger than you and finished only twelve lengths behind the fastest pony in Equestria. You're not ready for the old pony's home yet.”

Spitfire smiled. “Thanks Soarin, I needed that. Guess I'll stick around for a while.”

“Just putting things in perspective,” said Soarin.

An older stallion stepped forward. “Congratulations Rainbow Dash,” he said, “that was quite a race. I see Firewing was not exaggerating.”

“Hi daddy,” said Firewing, “I didn't know you were here.”

“I landed just after they started,” replied her father. “I saw the whole thing. Very impressive, all three of you.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Windy.

“Yeah, thanks,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Thanks, Firelight,” said Spitfire, “it's good to see you again.”

“I didn't know you knew each other,” said Firewing.

“Of course we know each other,” replied Spitfire. “I remember watching him fly when I was just a little filly. We've met several times since I became a Wonderbolt.”

“You'll find that you'll get to know most of the Wonderbolts, my dear,” said Firelight. “We meet periodically, like last night, and everywhere you go you'll bump into former members at shows and events. We are like a family with members all over Equestria.”

“Yes,” said Spitfire, “and you four are now part of that. It's a pretty exclusive club; there aren't that many of us. You may not think it now but it's most likely the best thing about being a Wonderbolt.”

“I remember what Mr. Immelmane said at the dinner last night,” said Windyday, “about welcoming us to the family. I didn't know he meant it literally. I'm the first one to be in the Wonderbolts from my family.”

“It feels good,” said Frost, “even if I'm only a reserve pony.”

“I'm sure you'll get a chance to perform,” said Soarin. “We could have used a reserve flier three, no four, times last season. You're as much a part of the Wonderbolts as Windy.”

“Well then, Rainbow Dash,” said Firelight, “are going to show me your flat spins or do you need to rest a little more?”

Rainbow Dash groaned and laid down. “Give me a break.”

The assembled pegasi broke down in laughter. At last Rainbow Dash got back up and the crowd settled down. All gathered around, eager to see how the move was done.

“Sorry to put you on the spot,” said Firelight, “but I thought this might be my only chance to learn it for a while.”

“Why do you want to learn it?” asked Spitfire. “Going back into stunts?”

Firelight smiled and shook his head. “No, nothing like that. We were talking before dinner last night and Firewing and Rainbow Dash were telling us about that flat spin move. She's managed to get some kind of control over it. I'm an instructor now, a new technique like that might be useful. If any pony can learn it, her technique might prevent injuries or worse if a pony gets into a flat spin.”

“I want to learn it if only for that reason,” said Firewing.

“I want to learn it for that too,” said Windy, “plus it really looks cool.”

Those who witnessed Rainbow Dash's routine laughed at Windy's joke while the others looked bemused.

“Alright,” said Rainbow Dash as she got to her hooves, “let me show you the wing position before I demonstrate. In a regular flat spin it's like this.” For the next half hour Rainbow Dash helped the other pegasi understand the technique. She went through the crowd instructing and repositioning wings. She then demonstrated the technique in the air. Windy, Firewing, Spitfire and several other pegasi felt confident enough to try it out. Most were successful after a few tries while the less skilled took longer. She then did the same thing in the inverted position. Tired out, the little blue pony landed on the cloud and watched the others, offering criticism and encouragement. Firewing landed beside her.

“We should get going soon,” she said, “we still have to fly to Ponyville.”

“Yeah,” replied Dash, “I know. Well, my move is out now. Pretty soon every pegasus will be doing it and it won't be special anymore. Guess I'll have to come up with something else.”

“We'll have to make sure they name it after you,” said Firewing. “It'll make you famous.”

“Hey yeah! Make sure you tell your dad. What do your think of 'The Rainbow Dash Spin'?”

Firewing laughed. “How about 'The Rainbow Flat Spin'?”

Rainbow Dash giggled. “Not bad. As long as they get my name in there somewhere.”

“I'll be sure to do that,” said Firelight as he landed beside them. “Don't worry, I'll see you get full credit.”

“Thanks, Firelight,” said Rainbow Dash, “I appreciate that. Listen, we should really get going. It's past lunchtime now and it's a couple hour flight to Ponyville.”

“Yes, of course,” said Firelight. “I'll see you Thursday, honey. You can count on a great reception when you get home. It's been a while since a Manehatten pony got into the group.”

“Bye daddy,” said Firewing as she nuzzled her father, “just don't go overboard.”

Firewing and Rainbow Dash said their goodbyes to their fellow pegasi. It took some time as Dash was pestered by questions and unwanted gratitude. When they left the pegasi were still practicing. As they took off, they passed Windyday's parents as they came in to land. Both were soaking wet. Rainbow Dash nearly crashed from laughing and it took her some time to explain to Firewing.

Author's Note:

Here was another look at Spitfire, the savvy old pro bringing three rookies into the Wonderbolt team. Maybe not quite as fast as she once was but still in her prime with a few good years left. She still has the competitive spirit too.
RD racing requires a little bit of cheating show reality. If she can go supersonic, and can make the turns, the race would be over and Dash would literally blow away the competition. I guess you can look at it this way: it is a flat race so she can't dive to build up speed. She has to slow for each turn and the turns are too close together for her to go sonic between them. I admit it isn't a perfect solution.

PreviousChapters Next