• Published 29th May 2013
  • 795 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 795

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32

Chapter 32

After leaving Weathervane, Fluttershy returned to her room and packed for her trip home. She felt lonely and decided that she may as well return to Ponyville. If she hurried she could get there before dark. She checked out of the hotel and started back to Ponyville. Fluttershy arrived shortly after dark. She debated on what to do. Seeing the lights on at Twilight's house she landed there. She knocked on the door and Spike answered.

“Fluttershy!” he exclaimed. “I wondered if you would be back tonight. Come in!”

“Hi Fluttershy,” said Twilight Sparkle, “I guess you have news.”

“Yes, it's over,” said Fluttershy. “She's a Wonderbolt now.”

“I knew she could do it,” said Twilight. “I'm sure she'll be happy in Cloudsdale.”

“Yes. Oh you should have seen her Twilight,” said Fluttershy. “They put on one of their shows this afternoon and you've never seen anything like it. There was sky dancing and then the four finalists each did a routine to music. They were all amazing. Rainbow Dash went last and did things I've never seen any pegasus do. Oh Twilight, she belongs there. We'll miss her but it would be selfish for us to keep her here. All of Equestria has to see her perform.”

“I've never heard you talk like this before, Fluttershy,” said Twilight. “It must have been impressive.”

“It was,” said Fluttershy. “It was so beautiful. I'll never be able to fly like that. Most pegasi will never fly like that. I might see more of Rainbow Dash than the rest of you because I'm going to go to every show that I can.”

“She must have beat the others pretty bad then,” said Spike.

Fluttershy shook her head. “Oh no, even the ones that had been eliminated were good. It's just that Dashie was the best. It was like having nine ponies like Rarity all trying to make the best dress. It was a close competition.”

“You make me wish I had seen it Fluttershy,” said Twilight. “I'm not really that interested in flying but the way you talk makes me wish I was there.”

“Any pony would appreciate what I saw,” said Fluttershy. “You don't have to be a pegasus.”

“So I guess we have a party to plan now,” said Twilight. “You stay here and rest. I'll go tell Rarity and Pinkie Pie. You can drop by Applejack's place on your way home.”

“Thanks Twilight,” said Fluttershy. “I do need to rest a little.”

“Can I get you something Fluttershy?” asked Spike.

“Thank you Spike,” said Fluttershy, “I could use some water.”

* * *
Twilight left and headed to Rarity's house. Rarity was still up and she knocked on her door and Rarity answered. “Twilight? What are you doing out so late?”

“Fluttershy is back,” said Twilight. “Rainbow Dash made the Wonderbolts. From what she said it was a close competition but Rainbow Dash beat them all.”

Rarity nodded. “I thought she would.” She sighed. “So what now?”

“We should meet tomorrow to plan the victory celebration,” said Twilight. “Can you come to the library after breakfast?”

“Yes, of course,” said Rarity.

“Good night,” said Twilight, “I'll see you then. Fluttershy can tell you some things that might make you feel a little better about Rainbow Dash leaving. I was surprised at the way she spoke about the competition.”

“I didn't know she liked stunt flying,” said Rarity.

“I know but, well, I'll let her tell it tomorrow,” said Twilight. “I'm going over to Pinkie Pie's and let her know. Good night Rarity, I'll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight Twilight, thanks for letting me know,” said Rarity.

Twilight walked to Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie Pie was in her room looking out the window and saw her approach. She called down to Twilight. “Hey Twilight! Nice night for a stroll.”

“Hi Pinkie Pie, I was just coming to see you,” said Twilight. “Fluttershy just got back. Rainbow Dash is now a Wonderbolt.”

“Hurray!” cried Pinky Pie but her smile quickly faded as she remembered what that meant. “I just knew it. I.. uh .. I'm happy for her.”

Unknown to Twilight and Pinkie Pie, there are other ponies within earshot. They ran off to spread the news.

“Me too,” said Twilight. “Come by my place tomorrow after breakfast and we'll start planning her victory celebration.”

“Sure Twilight, I already started on some things,” said Pinky Pie. “I had a feeling she was going to win.”

“Don't be sad Pinkie Pie,” said Twilight. “When you hear what Fluttershy has to say tomorrow I'm sure you'll feel better.”

“Okay, if you say so,” said Pinky Pie doubtfully. “I'm going to do my best to make this the best party I've ever done.”

“I know you will Pinkie Pie,” said Twilight. “Good night.”

“See you tomorrow Twilight,” said Pinky Pie.

Twilight walked home deep in thought. She failed to notice the increased number of ponies running around town at a late hour.

* * *
“Well, that's done,” said Twilight when she returned home. “They took it pretty well. I guess we've been prepared for this in a way. Thanks Fluttershy, I know you didn't want to be a spy but it did help prepare us.”

“I didn't want to but I'm glad I did,” replied Fluttershy. “I saw some of the best fliers ever. They were so beautiful. It made me proud to be a pegasus, even if I can't do what they do. I hope I can meet some of them.”

“I'm sure Rainbow Dash would be glad to introduce you,” said Twilight. “Isn't it something? We have a friend who's a celebrity.”

“Yes, but she'll always be our Rainbow Dash to me,” said Fluttershy. “I'm going home now. I still have to stop by Applejack's and tell her.”

“I told Rarity and Pinkie Pie to come by after breakfast and we'll start getting the victory celebration ready,” said Twilight. “If you can, tell the others what you told me about the competition. It might make them feel better.”

“I'll do that,” said Fluttershy with a smile. “Goodnight Twilight, goodnight Spike.”

“Goodnight Fluttershy, see you tomorrow,” said Spike.

* * *
Fluttershy left and flew to Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack and Big Macintosh were on the porch.

“Howdy there Fluttershy, I reckon you have some news,” said Applejack.

“That's Fluttershy?” said Big Mac. “What kind of get up is that?”

“It's a flight suit,” said Applejack. “Now hush, she has something to tell us.”

“Rainbow Dash won the competition,” said Fluttershy. “She's a Wonderbolt now.”

“Always knew she'd make somethin' of herself,” said Big Mac.

“Great! I knew she'd win,” said Applejack. “Bet she showed them fancy pegasuses some moves.”

“She did,” said Fluttershy, “but it was a tough competition. You're going to have to start thinking of her as a fancy pegasus now Applejack. I didn't realize it before, but she's special. I'll tell you more tomorrow. I'm going home now, I'm pretty tired.”

“Course you are sugar cube,” said Applejack. “You git on home now an rest up.”

“Come by Twilight's after breakfast,” said Fluttershy. “We're going to start planning her victory party.”

“You can count on me,” said Applejack. “Goodnight Fluttershy.”
They said goodnight and Fluttershy continued home alone. She was glad to sleep in her own bed. Despite her sadness over Rainbow Dash's impending departure, she fell asleep quickly.

PreviousChapters Next