• Published 29th May 2013
  • 795 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 795

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Immelmane left and the three ladies went to meet Fluttershy at her hotel. They were a little shocked to discover that she wasn't there. They walked back outside.

Just as they did, Fluttershy called to Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow! Over here!”

Rainbow Dash turned to see Fluttershy trotting towards them. “Hi Fluttershy, where were you?”

“I went to the cafe for dinner,” replied Fluttershy. “I spent a lot more time at the shop after you left and then I had a little rest and dozed off and I went to dinner a little late. Sorry.”

“That's okay,” said Rainbow Dash, “we just got here. So, what do we do first?”

“I know Cloudsdale best,” said Frost, “make a suggestion and I'll try to find the right spot.”

“I'd just like to relax a little,” said Windyday, “today was a bit rough.”

“Somewhere that has some music would be cool,” said Dash. “I could go for a cider too.”

“I'll, um, go along with whatever you want to do,” said Fluttershy.

Frost thought for a moment. “I think I know a place. It's early so we should be able to get a table where we can relax. There's music and a dance floor if you'd like to dance. They serve drinks and food if we get hungry later.”

“Sounds good to me,” said Dash.

“Alright,” said Windy, “I'll go along. Some pony has to keep an eye on you two.”

Frost laughed. “Come on then, Let's have some fun!” She took wing followed closely by Rainbow Dash. Windyday hung back and flew with Fluttershy.

Frost took them above the city and flew directly across to a different cloud. Frost and Rainbow Dash laughed and pulled a few simple tricks as they went. Windy smiled and looked at Fluttershy who smiled back.

“Go ahead,” said Fluttershy.

“What?” asked Windy.

“Do some tricks, if you want to,” said Fluttershy, “don't mind me.”

“That's okay,” said Windyday, “I was flying all day. I just want to go relax somewhere. Besides, they're right on the border of breaking the law.”

“I'd rather just relax too,” said Fluttershy, “at least we'll be able to talk while those two have their fun.”

Windy laughed. “Who said talking and relaxing aren't fun? Yeah, we'll let those two get crazy. You'll help me keep an eye on them, right?”

“Sure,” said Fluttershy, “for all the good it will do. Rainbow Dash is pretty good at doing whatever she wants. I think Frost might be the same way.”

“Yeah,” agreed Windy, “she is. They're a lot alike but Rainbow Dash is more fun. At least I think so.”

“What do you mean?” asked Fluttershy.

“Rainbow is more goodhearted,” said Windy. “Frost is pretty cool too but she really has a temper.”

“Frost has a worse temper than Rainbow Dash?” said Fluttershy. “Wow, I didn't know that was even possible.”

Windy laughed again. “Yeah, I know that Dash can lose her temper too but like I said, she's more goodhearted. Frost gets angry quicker, and holds onto it longer. She's more likely to go over the top.”

“I heard about what happened at the try outs,” said Fluttershy. “She sounds like she's very protective too.”

“Yeah, maybe that's it,” said Windy, “I've gotten to know her better over the last week. She's a pony that's good to have around, if she's on your side. I know I can trust her.”

“I'm looking forward to getting to know you two better this week,” said Fluttershy. “I hope you have a great time in Ponyville.”

“I'm sure we will,” said Windy. “Oops! Looks like we're heading down.”

Windyday banked hard and dove to follow Frost and Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy struggled to do the maneuver but managed to follow Windyday down to a cloud. They landed in front of a club on a narrow side street. Yellow and red lights proclaimed the clubs name, 'Strato's' in large letters above the door. A large leaf green stallion stood at the door. He wore a baseball cap with words 'Strato's Staff' on the front and a thick gold chain around his neck.

“Hi Frosty,” said the doorpony, as the group walked up. “Decided to come down to a hang out with us poor ponies, have you?”

“Hi, Cruiser,” said Frost, “good to see you again. Anything special happening tonight?”

“Karaoke a little later tonight,” said Cruiser. “They're going to run it from nine to ten and again from eleven to midnight.”

“Could be fun,” said Frost, “Any of the old gang here?”

“Not yet but it's early, go on in,” said Cruiser, “forget the cover for tonight, just don't tell Wings.”

“Thanks Cruiser,” said Frost, she gave him a peck on the cheek. “These are my friends, Rainbow Dash, Windyday and Fluttershy. Girls, meet Cruiser, best bouncer in Cloudsdale. You run into any trouble, just call for him.”

“I know you two from the shows you did last week,” said Cruiser pointing to Rainbow Dash and Windyday. He looked at Fluttershy. “What's your story cutie? How'd you end up with this this bunch?”

Fluttershy blushed. “I'm a..an old friend of Rainbow Dash.”

“Another hot shot flier, eh?” said Cruiser, “Looks like I'll have my hooves full tonight.” He laughed.

“Not really,” said Fluttershy, “I can't fly like these three can.”

“She's a pretty fair sky dancer though,” put in Rainbow Dash.

“Maybe I can get a dance when I get a break,” said Cruiser.

“Sure!” said Fluttershy, much to every pony's amazement, including herself.

“Go on in,” said Cruiser, “I'll stop by later. Nice meeting you.”

Frost led the way and the three mares entered the club. It wasn't crowded yet and Frost found an empty booth near the back of the club. It was larger and more comfortable than the tables and had wide comfortable cloud sofas.

Windyday gracefully slid into one of the seats and reclined with a sigh. Fluttershy sat down beside her while Frost and Rainbow Dash took the other two seats.

“This is more like it,” said Windy. “Good choice, Frost.”

A waitress came to the table. “Hi,” she said, “I'm Candy Cloud. I'll be your waitress this evening. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Four ciders,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Me too!” said Frost. The two friends laughed.

“This is going to be a long night isn't it?” said Windy.

“Just kidding,” said Frost, “You get the first round, Dash, the next one's on me.”

“Four ciders,” repeated Candy, “I'll be right back.”

“I hadn't really planned on drinking,” said Windy.

“Who needs to plan everything?” said Dash, “just go with it. Besides, you don't have to do any flying tomorrow.”

“Just remember that you do,” replied Windy, “I wouldn't want to show up for my first day of training with a hangover.”

“Yeah, yeah,” said Dash, “I'll watch it.”

“You haven't really had a drink before, have you Windy,” asked Frost.

“Just a taste one time,” said Windy. “It was barley wine. It didn't taste like barley.”

Rainbow Dash and Frost laughed.

“No, I'll bet it didn't,” said Frost. “I don't care for that either. Cider is good though.”

“I'll reserve judgment,” said Windy. “I do like this place. It seems like a good place to relax.”

“Just wait,” said Frost, “give it an hour or two and this place will be jumping.”

“Maybe I'll be in the mood then,” said Windy. “I just want to sit and talk for a while right now.”

Candy Cloud arrived with their cider and Dash paid her. When each of them had a mug, Dash proposed a toast.

“Here's to flying with good friends,” she said. Mugs clinked and they all took a swig.

“This is pretty good,” said Windyday, “fizzy. Not really a lot different from regular cider.”

“The effects are,” said Fluttershy. “Just don't drink more than me and you'll be fine.”

“Fluttershy!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash, “how are we supposed to get Windy drunk enough to sing karaoke if you warn her.”

All of them laughed at that.

Rainbow Dash and Frost finished their first drink and proceeded to down a second while Windy and Fluttershy paced themselves. An unknown stallion asked Frost to dance and she accepted. Shortly after that a second stallion asked Rainbow Dash and she joined Frost on the dance floor. Fluttershy and Windyday were left to themselves for a while.

“Well, fellow wallflower,” said Windy, “Rainbow told me that you take care of animals. That's a little unusual for a pegasus.”

“It's my special gift,” said Fluttershy. “I enjoy it too. If you ever want a pet, come see me.”

“I'm afraid not,” said Windyday, “I don't have the room or the time to properly care for one. It would be alright at times but when the touring season gets underway I'd be gone for too long. It wouldn't be fair.”

“You're right,” said Fluttershy, “I have a lot of animals to find homes for and some of them come from ponies that can't take care of them anymore.”

“It sounds like a lot of work,” said Windyday. “You must not have time to do much else.”

“I feed them and make sure their homes are okay,” said Fluttershy. “They take care of themselves most of the time. I sometimes have to dress a wound or set a bone but I have a lot of free time. I can always get some help from my friends to take care of them when I'm not there, like now. I actually have a lot of free time.”

“What do you do then?” asked Windy.

“Oh, I shop, visit friends, meet Rarity at the spa, Pinkie Pie usually invites me to a party once a week or so,” said Fluttershy. “Of course, lately I've been doing work for Rarity and learning to sky dance. What do you do in your free time?”

Windy thought for a moment. “I really don't know,” she said. “I'm kind of experimenting right now, I suppose. I used to do nothing but train, practice and do my school work. I have more free time now than in my whole life. Sometimes I don't know what to do.”

“Don't you go out with friends or anything?” asked Fluttershy.

“I never had any friends,” said Windyday. “Now that I do, I don't want to be a nuisance. They need some time for themselves after all. I've been exploring Cloudsdale and taking care of my mail. I went to the museum to see our displays and went swimming in Dash's lake. It wasn't as much fun by myself.”

Fluttershy looked at her sadly. “You sound like Twilight,” she said. “All she used to do was read. She didn't have any friends besides Spike before she came to Ponyville. I don't think she realized how lonely she was.”

“It's like that,” said Windy. She paused to take a long drink from her mug. “You get caught up in something and shut everything, everypony, out. You get so used to it that you don't even realize anything's wrong.”

“What are you going to do tomorrow?” asked Fluttershy.

“I'm going to watch Dash and Frost practice with Spitfire,” said Windy. “That should be fun. Then tomorrow night...” Windyday caught herself before she gave away the surprise.

“Yes?” said Fluttershy, “What's tomorrow night?”

“You'll see,” said Windy, with a grin.

“Oh!” said Fluttershy, “you know about Dashie's surprise too. I almost forgot about that.”

“I'd better let her tell you what it is,” said Windyday. “Immelmane said it would be alright if you wanted to come out and watch them practice in the afternoon. You might get to sky dance a little too.”

“He did?” said Fluttershy. “That's great! I don't really have anything to do tomorrow. All I'd do is sit around wondering about tomorrow night.”

“I'll see if I can do something about that,” said Windyday. “I don't know why Dash hasn't told you yet. I think it's silly. It's still a surprise no matter when she tells you.”

They talked for while and Windyday finished her first mug of cider and ordered another. Talking about her past made her feel empty. She found herself telling Fluttershy far more than she had even told Rainbow Dash or Firewing about her life before the Wonderbolts. Fluttershy listened sympathetically and tried to comfort Windyday.

“Windy,” said Fluttershy, “try to remember that the way you were wasn't entirely your fault. Now that you know better, you're really making an effort to be a good friend and to make up for the past. You said that Goldmane forgave you and so did some of the other ponies. Forgive yourself, dwelling on something you can't change won't do you, or any pony, any good.”

Windyday smiled. “You're right. It's not easy but you're right. Thanks.”

Rainbow Dash suddenly slid back into the booth. She was a little out of breath. Before she even spoke she grabbed her mug and took a long drink. “Whew! That's better. I thought I'd never get off the dance floor.”

“Where's Frost?” asked Windy.

“Still dancing,” said Rainbow. “She met one of the guys that used to be in Golden Sun. He's only in town for a few days. She'll probably bring him over. What have you two been doing?”

“Just talking,” said Windyday, “and drinking. Maybe this isn't so bad after all.”

“Well just watch yourself,” said Dash, “it can sneak up on you if you don't.”

“I'm trying to not drink more than Fluttershy,” said Windy, “but I seem to have gotten ahead of her a little bit.”

They were suddenly interrupted by a stallion who had obviously been drinking harder than was good for him. He was still wearing a white smock with a Weather Factory patch on the sleeve and had apparently been there since getting off work.

“Lucky me,” he said, “I just found the table with the hottest ladies in town. I'm Mixer, and who are you three? I don't remember seeing you around here before.”

“I'm Rainbow Dash,” said Dash, “and these are my friends Windy and Flutters.” She had a grin on her face but those that knew her well could tell it was not a friendly smile. She was up to something.

“Pleased to meet you,” said Mixer. He stuck out his right wing for balance as he leaned precariously to the left.

Fluttershy gave him a nervous 'hello' and Windy just nodded at him as she bit her lip to keep from laughing. Rainbow Dash continued to smile at Mixer.

“So, Mixer,” said Dash, “What do you do at the Weather Factory?”

“I manage the rainbow mixing tanks,” he said proudly, “say, you kind of remind me of work.”

“Well I hope you like your job,” said Dash.

Mixer brightened. “I sure do! Can I buy you ladies a drink?”

Before her friends could speak, Rainbow Dash answered for them. “That would be real nice, Mixer. They're drinking cider but I'm in the mood for something else. Ever hear of W.C. Barleyfields?”

“No,” said Mixer, “what's that?”

“It's a real good drink,” said Dash, “it's a little strong but I'm sure a big strong stallion like you can handle it. I usually get a double myself but you might want to get more.”

“Sure,” said Mixer, “I'll give it a try. Waitress!”

The waitress came and took their order. Mixer got Rainbow Dash her double and ordered two more for himself.

Fluttershy was becoming even more nervous and Windy was curious to see how this would play out. Rainbow Dash kept Mixer talking, feigning interest in his work and complimenting him at every opportunity. The waitress soon came back with their drinks.

Rainbow Dash took a sip from her drink. “I'm sorry Windy,” said Dash, “take a little sip of mine. I wanted you to try this.”

Windy took the offered drink and took a sip. Her eyes opened wide and she set it down. She picked it back up and took a bigger sip. “Wow,” she said, “I like it.”

Rainbow Dash took back her glass. Windy had consumed nearly half of the double shot. “So Mixer, what do you think of this stuff?” asked Dash.

Mixer was leaning on the table and his wing was extended even further to maintain his balance. One of his glasses was empty and the second one was in his mouth. He tilted his head back and drained the contents. He set the glass back down and swallowed.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash stared at the stallion in wonder. Windyday was smiling.

“You like it too,” said Windy, “it is good, isn't it?”

“Sher iss,” said Mixer. He stood there smiling and looking at Windyday. His right wing extended more as he tilted more to the left.

“Are you okay?” asked Fluttershy.

“F..fine, I'm fine,” said Mixer. “Good schtuff.”

He was still smiling when his body weight finally overwhelmed his wing and he fell over onto the floor.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash looked around the edge of the table to see the fallen stallion. He lay on his side, eyes closed, with a smile on his face. Rainbow Dash started to giggle and threw herself back on her seat laughing so hard it was painful.

Fluttershy looked over the edge of the table. Windyday sat giggling to herself.

“What happened?” asked Windy, “How's Mixer?”

“Still breathing,” said Fluttershy. She glared at Rainbow Dash. “Dashie, that was mean.”

Rainbow Dash was not at all moved by Fluttershy's comment and was laughing too hard to respond.

Windyday started to reach for Dash's unfinished drink. Simultaneously, Rainbow Dash grabbed her glass and Fluttershy reached out a hoof to stop her. Windy looked at Fluttershy.

“That stuff is strong, Windy,” said Fluttershy. “That poor guy drank the equivalent of at least four mugs of cider in just a few seconds. He passed out.”

Windyday blinked. “Oh my! Rainbow Dash, did you do that on purpose?”

Rainbow Dash was still snickering but nodded. She took another sip of her nearly lethal beverage.

“Yeah,” answered Dash, “I maybe shouldn't have but at least we got rid of him and got some free drinks. Can you believe it? He didn't even know who we were. I just didn't want him hanging around.”

“You could have done something else,” said Fluttershy.

“I guess so,” admitted Dash, “but nothing near as much fun.” She started to laugh again.

“I'll have to watch out for you,” said Windy, “you have a peculiar way of having fun.”

Frost walked up at that moment with the stallion that Dash had mentioned.

“Looks like I missed the fun,” said Frost. “Why did you deck him, Rainbow?”

“I didn't deck him,” said Dash. “He's just passed out drunk. I may have had something to do with that.”

“What did you give him?” asked Frost.

“I got him to buy me a double shot of W.C. Barleyfields,” said Dash, “and he thought he'd be macho and get two for himself. He was already pretty drunk so when he drank both of those...”

“I get it,” said Frost. She snickered and looked at Dash. “That sounds like something I'd do.”

“Want a taste?” asked Dash.

“Sure,” said Frost. She took a sip of Dash's drink. She shook her head. “Not bad,” she said but her voice was raspy.

The body on the floor was attracting attention. Cruiser came over to see what the fuss was about.

“Alright,” he said, “what's going on?” He saw Mixer laying on the floor. He bent down and checked him out. “Dude, you usually don't get this bad for another couple of hours.”

“He's done this before?” asked Dash.

“Are you kidding?” said Cruiser. “He's like this every Friday night. Usually lasts longer though. I'll get him a cab.” Cruiser waved to another staff member and together they removed the now mumbling Mixer from the club.

Rainbow Dash slid over and made room for Frost and her friend. She finished her drink of Barleyfields and ordered another cider.

“Had enough of the other stuff already?” asked Frost.

“Yeah,” said Rainbow Dash, “I only got a double because I planned on sharing it. I know how this stuff is. Windy sure liked it.”

“Yeah,” said Windyday, “I liked it but I don't want to end up like Mixer. In fact, I think one more cider and I'll be done.”

“Aw, come on, Windy,” said Frost, “we weren't planning to leave this early.”

“Oh, I'll stay,” said Windy, “just no more drinking. I'm starting to feel...funny.”

Frost and Rainbow Dash laughed.

“That's the point, Windy,” said Frost, “just relax and enjoy it.”

“But if you don't want to drink anymore, then don't,” added Fluttershy.

“Hey,” said Rainbow Dash suddenly, “they're starting up the karaoke. Anypony want to try it?”

“Pass,” said Windy, “I don't know many songs and I've never been told I could sing well.”

“I'm out too,” said the stallion by Frost's side, “I have been told I can't sing well. In fact I'm just plain bad.”

“I might,” said Frost, “but I'm not doing it alone. But I'm being rude. Girls, I'd like you to meet Silver Tail, he used to fly with Golden Sun before he got a job with the Baltimare weather team.”

“A fellow weather pony,” said Dash, “I'm Rainbow Dash, pleased to meet you.”

“Oh, I know who you are,” said Silver Tail. “I remember you from when we were little. I'm a couple of years older than Frost, so you may not remember me. Your mane and tail are really different and I remember that. Also, I was here for your last show. Really spectacular all of you. But Rainbow Dash, you really put on a show.”

“Thanks,” said Dash, very pleased, “then I guess you know Windyday here too. This pony here is Fluttershy, she's a friend of mine from Ponyville.”

“Pleased to meet you both,” said Silver Tail.

“Hello,” said Fluttershy.

“Hi,” said Windyday.

“Fluttershy,” said Rainbow Dash, “we sound pretty good together. How about joining me in a duet?”

“With all these ponies watching me?” replied Fluttershy, “No, I couldn't.”

“They won't be watching you,” said Rainbow Dash, “they'll be watching me.”

Windyday and Frost laughed. Silver Tail didn't know if Dash was just joking or if she was really that full of herself.

“Looks like it's just you and me, Dash,” said Frost.

“Okay, Frosty,” said Dash, “what do you want to sing?”

The two began to talk together about possible songs. Silver Tail ordered another round of cider and began to talk to Windy and Fluttershy. He asked Fluttershy a few polite questions about her life in Ponyville but it was clear that he was much more interested in Windyday.

“So Windyday,” said Silver Tail, “how did you manage to beat Rainbow here? Everypony thought she won the tryouts.”

Windy thought the question rude but tried to be nice anyway. “I have more experience as a formation flier and I flew well on the final day. I think they thought I'd be easier to bring onto the team. Even so, Rainbow is the best flier I've ever seen and Immelmane wanted her for the solo position.”

“I saw your routine,” said Silver Tail, “and it was great. I guess the only place Rainbow was better were some of those crazy tricks. You really did fly beautifully.”

“You didn't see how crazy she can get,” said Windy, with a smile. “I'm glad Immelmane is keeping an eye on her now, especially when she gets together with Frost.”

“What was she going to do now?” asked Silver Tail.

“They were trying to figure out a way to power dive under the drawbridge at Canterlot,” said Windy. She took a drink of cider and watched Silver over the rim of her mug.

Silver Tail grinned. “I don't believe it. That's impossible.”

“That's never stopped Rainbow before,” said Fluttershy. “I hope she's not still working on that stunt.”

“No,” said Windy, “Immelmane made her drop it and she'll listen to him, thank Celestia.”

“Good,” said Fluttershy, “it might be her last stunt if she tried that.”

“Definitely,” said Silver, “there's barely enough room for a crow to do that.”

“She was going to try going underwater to get the clearance,” said Windy. “They were working out the angles when Immelmane put a stop to it.”

“You wouldn't try something like that?” asked Silver in a teasing tone.

“Hardly,” snorted Windy, “I like my body in one piece, thank you.”

“Me too,” said Silver Tail. He was looking her in the eye and smiling.

Windy stared at him. She wasn't used to this sort of attention. Was he trying to make a pass at her? She fought her natural reaction to retreat into her old self. She smiled and inclined her head. “Thank you, again” she said.

Silver smiled back. He was about to say more but Frost interrupted him.

“Let us out, Silver,” said Frost, “Rainbow and I are going to try the karaoke.”

Frost and Rainbow Dash left for the stage where a line had already formed. Silver Tail slid into the booth and moved next to Windyday. Windyday was uncomfortable and Fluttershy picked up on this immediately.

“So how are you doing with your team training?” asked Silver.

“I'm doing well,” replied Windy. “It reminds me of flying with my amateur team before I became the leader. Of course the difficulty is higher but I can handle it. In a way it's easier because I don't have to be constantly checking to make sure all the other ponies are doing their jobs as well as doing my own.”

“So you're looking forward to your first show?” said Silver.

“Oh, yes,” said Windy, “getting that first show behind me will feel great.”

“Nervous?” said Silver.

For a second the old Windy surfaced. “I do not get nervous. There is only the routine and doing it to perfection.”

The coldness of the voice was a little shocking to Silver Tail. “Sorry if I said something wrong,” he said. “I didn't mean to make you angry.”

“I'm not angry,” replied Windy in a more relaxed tone. “I just want to feel like a part of the team. I won't really feel that until I do that first show. Everything up until then will just be practice. Sorry if I sounded angry but I'm a little... different than other ponies. I take my flying very seriously and I really don't get nervous.”

Windyday laughed and took another drink of cider. Silver Tail watched her. This mare was different alright.

“Sounds like you're very, um, focused,” he said.

“That would be a good word for it,” said Windyday. She didn't smile and took another drink.

“Why don't you tell us what you do, Silver Tail?” said Fluttershy.

“I suppose what I do might be kind of boring to ponies like you,” said Silver. “I'm just a weather pony, not a leader or anything yet. I'm hoping to get promoted in a couple of months though. I mostly work off shore. We have to keep sea lanes open and sometimes guide ships in. It's tricky work when you're out there without any reference points. It takes a long time to get the hang of it.”

“That does sound hard,” said Fluttershy, “I've never been to the sea myself.”

“I love flying over the ocean,” said Silver. “Even at night the ocean just gleams with light. I think I'll end up staying there permanently, even though I love Cloudsdale.”

“I know what you mean,” said Fluttershy, “I grew up here but I live in Ponyville now and I doubt if I'll ever move away.”

“Is that where you met Rainbow Dash?” asked Silver.

“No,” said Fluttershy, “I knew her here in Cloudsdale when we were little fillies.”

“I don't remember you from back then but Cloudsdale is a big place,” said Silver. “I never really talked to Rainbow Dash either for that matter. You know how it is when you're little; a few years seem to matter more than when you're older.”

“That's okay if you don't remember me,” said Fluttershy, “I wasn't very well known back then, at least not for anything good. I was very shy and weak.”

“You don't seem that way anymore,” said Silver. “Here you are, out on the town with three Wonderbolts. Do you fly with them often?”

Fluttershy giggled. “No, except for Rainbow Dash. I can't really keep up with them. Firewing taught me some sky dancing and I've been practicing that. They expect me to work with them this week. Frost, Windyday and Firewing are all coming to Ponyville. I'm going to help them with their sky dancing practice.”

“Since when do the Wonderbolts sky dance,” asked Silver.

“You'd be surprised,” said Windyday. “If you knew anything about sky dancing you might be able to pick out some moves in our routines.”

“I did it a little,” said Silver Tail, “just for fun. I'm no expert though.”

“I'm not either,” said Fluttershy, “but they need a partner to practice with and since I fly slowly I guess I can help Rainbow Dash and Frost slow down a little.”

“Good luck,” said Silver Tail, “I've never seen Frost do anything slow and Rainbow Dash seems to be the same way.”

“They are,” said Windy, “but Dash has the natural talent to do about anything. Frost has to work harder to do the same thing. She'll get it down. She's a better flier than I thought she was during the try outs.”

“But not as good as you?” said Silver.

Windyday smiled. “Not as good as Rainbow Dash,” she said.

Silver smiled back. “That isn't exactly an answer.”

“Every pony thinks they're the best,” replied Windyday, “and I could make a pretty good case for myself but what for? Frost is my friend and a team mate and that is what matters most to me. If you must know, I was picked first, Dash chose the solo spot, though she could have taken the number two team spot that was given to Firewing and Frost got the alternate position. That is how Immelmane, Spitfire and Soarin saw us. If Dash or Firewing had been chosen over me I would have been disappointed but not surprised. As for Frost, I still don't think I've seen Frost at her best. Is that enough of an answer for you?”

“You really are different,” said Silver Tail. “It's enough of an answer but not what I was expecting. Most athletes I know would have boasted about how much better they were than the competition.”

“That has never been a fault of mine,” said Windyday. “I speak truthfully and, in the past, without regard for the feelings of others but I don't boast.” She took another drink of cider and frowned. “I think I want another cider.”

“Allow me,” said Silver Tail. He signaled the waitress and bought them each a cider. Fluttershy didn't want anymore but thought it would be rude to refuse.

Silver Tail was somewhat at a loss about what to say to Windyday. He was used to mares finding him charming or rejecting him outright but this one was something new. None of her responses to his jokes or comments were what he expected. He was spared having to say more by the karaoke starting.

They looked towards the stage as a aqua colored mare with a green and yellow mane began to sing. She wasn't too bad and the audience applauded as the song ended. A pegasus stallion followed and sang to a tune that had been popular thirty years previously. This did not go over as well. There were more single singers, another duet and even a quartet before Rainbow Dash and Frost took the stage.

The two Wonderbolts were instantly recognized and cheered before they started. The song was an older, raw, rock song that was well know in Cloudsdale. It had been popular mainly because of a catchy beat and lyrics which had to do with reckless flying. Rainbow and Frost sang well together and didn't make any glaring mistakes. When the song ended, the audience rewarded them with cheering and applause.

Dash and Frost returned to the table. Silver Tail slid over a little and Dash sat next to him. There was enough room for Frost to squeeze in beside Dash. Rainbow and Frost were thirsty after their song so Frost ordered another round. Silver Tail was the only one who wanted another but Fluttershy and Windy weren't paying attention. Once the mugs were in front of them, they drank anyway.

“You two sounded good up there,” said Silver.

“I thought so,” said Rainbow Dash, “thanks.”

“You always think we sound good,” said Frost as she laughed, “but that one was pretty good. We have the crowd warmed up for you Windy, your turn.”

“I don't think so,” replied Windy. “I've never done any singing before, let alone in public.”

“You've never sang?” said Silver Tail, “not even in the shower?”

“Well, no,” said Windyday. “I remember singing as a filly in school but that's all. Even when I was leading the Wheelwing team I let the others pick out the music. About all the music I know is what I've flown to.”

“But you danced at the dinner,” said Rainbow Dash, “and you looked like you knew what you were doing.”

“I took lessons,” said Windy, “I forgot about that. It was expected that I would dance at dinners and celebrations so my parents had me take lessons. They didn't want me to look like a fool.”

Rainbow Dash and Frost looked at each other. They couldn't imagine ever allowing another pony, not even their parents, to control them to the extent that Windy had done. Rainbow Dash felt an intense dislike for Windy's parents.

Fluttershy listened as Windy spoke and pondered what to do. The cider had not been without it's effect on her so her level of courage was higher than normal. “At least take a look at the song list,” she said to Windy. “If you see something you know, I'll sing with you.”

Windyday looked at Fluttershy, clearly amazed. “Er, alright,” she said. She felt as though she was losing control of the situation and didn't like it. As she looked through the list she was surprised to find that she did know a few of the songs. Some of the songs made her smile as they brought back other memories from her past.

“Well?” said Rainbow Dash, “did you find anything?”

Windy still smiled but didn't take her eyes from the list. She waved a hoof in Dash's direction as if to shush her. She almost hit Silver as she wasn't watching what she was doing.

Frost snickered and nudged Dash. When she had Dash's attention she tapped her cider mug. Dash stifled a laugh and continued to watch Windyday.

The behavior of Rainbow Dash and Frost did not go unnoticed by Fluttershy. Though slow to be roused she was not a pony to take things lying down when it came to hurting a ponies feelings. She moved closer to Windyday so that she could also see the list. She saw a song that wasn't too difficult and one that she knew she could sing.

“What about this one, Windy?” asked Fluttershy. “Do you know it?”

“I remember hearing it a few times,” said Windy, “but I don't know all the words. I know this one.”

Fluttershy looked at the song Windy indicated. She knew it by heart. “Yes,” she said, “I can sing that one.”

“I'll give it a try,” said Windyday. “What's the worst that can happen?”

“That's the spirit,” said Silver Tail. “There's an old saying; 'The surest way to appear a fool is to try hard not to look like one'.”

“I haven't heard that saying,” said Windy, “but it makes sense, I think.” She pondered the saying with a look on her face as if she were calculating dew point temperatures in her head.

“Come on,” said Fluttershy, “before I have time to think about this.” She got up and Windyday followed her.

As Windy took a few steps away from the table, she suddenly stopped to steady herself. She shook her head and tried to compose herself.

“You okay there, Windy?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I think so,” said Windy. “I really feel weird.” She giggled.

Fluttershy had stopped too but didn't seem to be having any trouble walking. She looked back at Windy and saw her standing with an odd smile on her face. 'Uh oh,' she thought, 'I've seen that look before. We'd better hurry before she gets worse.'

Windy took a few steps forward and appeared to be walking fine so they headed to the stage. Rainbow Dash and Frost watched in amusement wondering how this was going to go.

There were three individual ponies in the cue before Fluttershy and Windyday. None of the three were particularly good and the audience was becoming restless. Finally Fluttershy and Windy got on stage to sing their song. Neither of them could see the audience clearly, due to the lights, which was all the better as far as Fluttershy was concerned. The music started and the pair began to sing. Fluttershy found herself leading at first as Windy had to get used to singing into the microphone and trying to follow the tune. She quickly got the idea of simply following what Fluttershy was doing and she was able to imitate her to some extent.

Fluttershy and Windyday sang their song and received some encouraging applause at the end. It had been far from perfect, due mostly to Windyday having no idea how to sing, but it was better than the previous three singers. With Fluttershy carrying the tune and Windy adding some harmony they had done well. Windyday and Fluttershy returned to their table where Frost, Rainbow Dash and Silver Tail cheered them.

“Not bad at all girls,” said Silver Tail.

“Yeah,” said Dash, “I knew Flutters could sing but you could be pretty good if you practice a little, Windy.”

“Thanks,” said Windy, “it went better than I expected. At least we didn't get booed off the stage.”

“Ready to try it solo?” asked Frost.

“No!” said Windy emphatically. “If it wasn't for Fluttershy, I would have been lost up there.”

Fluttershy blushed. “Thanks,” she whispered.

They talked and listened to the other karaoke singers until the management shut it down and started to play some dance songs. Silver Tail took the opportunity to ask Windyday to dance. She accepted and they made their way to the dance floor. Fluttershy was just settling into her seat when Cruiser appeared.

“I finally got a break,” said Cruiser, “would you like to dance now?”

“Sure,” said Fluttershy, “why not?”

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrows as they left. “I hope that Cruiser guy is okay,” she said.

“He is,” said Frost. “He might look a little rough but he's a real gentlepony.”

“I can't believe it's this late already,” said Dash. “One more and we'll have to be going. I don't want to leave but if we don't we're going to be wrecks in the morning.”

“I hate to say this but you're right,” said Frost. “Let's go as soon as Windy and Fluttershy get back.”

Rainbow Dash nodded and took a drink of cider. 'Maybe it's a good thing,' she thought, 'I don't want to get used to drinking so much. Might end up like Mixer.'

Frost and Rainbow Dash chatted about the next day and what Immelmane and Spitfire had in store for them. Eventually Fluttershy, Windy and Silver Tail returned to the table. They were thirsty from dancing so they decided on one last round before leaving. They talked as they drank.

“Will you be around tomorrow night?” Silver Tail asked Windy Day.

“Sorry,” said Windy, “we have plans.”

Frost overheard this. “We might stop off for a nightcap after the...”

“Frost!” interrupted Rainbow Dash, “don't spoil the surprise!”

“Oops,” said Frost, “sorry. I forgot about that.”

“Oh, why not tell her Dash?” said Windy. “She'll never get to sleep tonight if you don't.”

Rainbow Dash thought for a bit. “Alright,” she said, “Fluttershy, tomorrow night we have tickets to a sky dancing show. You're going to see some real pros sky dance. How's that sound?”

Fluttershy grinned from ear to ear. “Oh, Dashie, that sounds wonderful thank you so much! I can hardly wait!”

“Don't thank me,” replied Dash, “thank Immelmane. It was his idea. I offered to pay for yours but he said it was his treat.”

“As I was going to say,” rejoined Frost, “we might stop off for a nightcap after the show.”

“Maybe,” said Dash, “I don't know how late the show lasts.”

“Or what Immelmane has planned for the next day,” added Frost. “We'd better be going after this drink.”

“Really?” said Windy, “Is it that late already?”

“I don't know about you but I want to get to bed by eleven,” said Dash. “I should be able to sleep this off by morning that way.”

Frost laughed. “Yeah, me too. Windy, if you want to stay out later with Fluttershy then go ahead. You two don't have to get up early.”

“I don't think I want to stay out much later either,” said Fluttershy.

“You mean you're not staying until closing time when Cruiser gets off?” teased Frost.

Fluttershy blushed and smiled but said nothing.

“I guess you're right,” said Windy with a sigh. “It has been fun though. We'll have to do this again.”

“Sure!” said Dash, “Not just here in Cloudsdale either, I'll bet we can get a little time to ourselves after shows and party all over Equestria.”

“I can hardly wait for your Baltimare show this year,” said Silver. “I can show you some great places there.”

“I'm sure you can,” said Windy. “I'm done with my mug. Let's go before I forget myself and order another.”

Rainbow Dash down the last of her cider. “Me too. Let's get flying.”


Frost finished her drink. “It was good to see you again Silver. If you're here after the show tomorrow, I'll try to stop by.”

“I will,” said Silver Tail, “I'm not heading back until Monday. I'll fly to Canterlot and take the train to Baltimare.”

Every pony ready?” asked Rainbow Dash.

The girls said goodnight to Silver Tail and headed towards the door. The club was far more crowded than it had been when they entered. It took them some time to squeeze through the crowd. Frost led the way followed by Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Windy Day. There was a line waiting to get in and they had to walk past it to find a clear space to take off. As they walked along, a young stallion recognized Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash,” he called, “are you leaving already?”

Rainbow Dash turned to see who it was. To her surprise it was Dumb Bell, a pony who had once been one of her chief tormentors as a filly. They had made up after the Best Young Fliers Competition but they weren't exactly friends.

“Hi, D.B.” said Dash, “yeah, we've been here for a while and I have to start training tomorrow.”

“That's too bad,” said D.B. “I mean, it's too bad that I didn't get here earlier, not that you have to start training.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “I got it. You still at the Weather Factory?”

“Yeah,” said D.B. “and I'm doing okay I guess. Congratulations on making the Wonderbolts. You always said you would do it.”

“And you guys always said that I wouldn't,” countered Rainbow Dash.

“Uh, yeah, sorry about that,” said D.B. “I wish there was a way to take it all back. We were dopes.”

“Forget about it,” said Dash, “foals do dumb things. Buy me a cider the next time I'm in town and we'll call it even.”

“It's a deal,” said D.B. with a smile, “I'll... uh oh, I think your friend needs your help.”

As Rainbow Dash had been talking to Dumb Bell, Windy Day had been patiently waiting to move along. A stallion waiting in line with a few friends had slapped her with his tail. He used it like a whip and hit her just above her cutie mark. Windy instantly wheeled on the stallion who merely smiled at her.

Windy Day smiled back and walked slowly towards him until her muzzle was inches from his. “If you ever touch me again without my permission I will take you apart piece by piece. Understand?”

Her voice had the same cold, unfeeling tone that she used to use when she veiled her emotions but this was different. This voice was truly menacing. Fluttershy had seen the entire event and, after hearing Windy speak, tried to put herself between Windy and the stallion.

At this point Rainbow Dash entered the scene closely followed by Frost. “What's going on here?” asked Dash.

“This one slapped me with his tail,” answered Windy Day. “I was telling him how unwise that was.” She didn't budge or take her eyes off the stallion.

Fluttershy was pushing against Windyday to little effect. Frost walked around to the other side of Windy and glared at the stallion. The stallion looked at his friends who suddenly didn't seem to know him. He looked back at the four mares arrayed in front of him. He didn't know the yellow one with the pink mane but he did recognize Frost and knew about her. The rainbow haired one could only be one pony and her reputation was still alive in Cloudsdale even though she had left years before. He also knew that they were recent additions to the Wonderbolts which lead him to guess who the mare he had insulted was. He swallowed.

“I'm, uh, sorry,” he stammered, “I didn't mean anything by it.”

“Right,” said Frost, “well, it's up to Windyday here. How about it Windy? You want to let him live?”

Windy turned to look at Frost and then down at Fluttershy who was still pushing against her chest. She drew herself up as best she could in her angry and inebriated state and with one last glare at the stallion, turned and walked away.

“Your name must be 'Lucky',” said Rainbow Dash to the stallion, “just remember; you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us.” She turned and followed Windy.

“Good thing for you that you picked on the nice one,” added Frost before following Dash.

The stallion breathed a sigh of relief but found Fluttershy staring at him. “That was very bad of you,” she said, “and it's no way to impress a mare. I'd better not catch you doing anything like that again, you got that?”

The stallion nodded rapidly as tears formed in his eyes. Fluttershy turned up her nose and followed her friends.

“Nice one Rainbow,” said D.B. as she was passing, “at least I didn't miss everything.” He offered her a hoof bump which Dash returned.

“See ya, D.B.” said Dash, “we might be around tomorrow night but I can't promise.”

“Goodnight, Rainbow Dash,” said Dumb Bell, “see you around.”

The four mares got to an open space and took wing. All were a little bit wobbly in flight until they got used to it. Fluttershy, by being more sober, found herself flying better than the new Wonderbolts. Fluttershy looked back and found that Windy was right behind her. She still looked angry. Fluttershy dropped back and flew beside her.

“Are you okay?” asked Fluttershy.

“I suppose so,” said Windyday. “Perhaps I overreacted a bit. I don't like loosing control like that. Nothing like that has happened to me since I was small.”

“I don't think you overreacted,” said Fluttershy. “What would Rainbow Dash or Frost have done?”

Windyday thought for a moment. “I think I know,” said Windyday. She smiled and that turned into a laugh. “I'm still disappointed in myself for my behavior. Maybe it was the cider.”

“Maybe,” said Fluttershy, “but you had every right to be mad. I was angry too and it wasn't me that got hit.”

“I'm glad you feel that way,” said Windy. “I guess maybe it's okay to feel anger if it's justified. At least I didn't get in a fight.”

“You should also feel good that you have friends who will watch out for you,” said Fluttershy.

Windy smiled. “Yes, that does feel good.” She tried to do a spin. She did the spin but it looked more like the effort of a fledgling pegasus than her usual perfect maneuver. She didn't care and began to laugh.

“Easy there Windy,” called Rainbow Dash, “no aerobatics over Cloudsdale.”

Frost laughed at this. “Oh right, you'd never do anything like that!”

Rainbow Dash joined her friend in laughing. “Seriously, let's just get Fluttershy to her hotel and then I want to get some sleep. We got lucky again Frosty; a night on the town with no fights and no police.”

“Let's not say that until we get home,” said Frost.

They arrived at Fluttershy's hotel and spiraled down to the cloud. After saying goodnight the three Wonderbolts headed back to the compound. By this time they were getting sleepy. Frost went to her room and Rainbow Dash and Windy went to her's. Windy took the bed and Rainbow Dash took the couch, not that there was much difference between them. Despite them both snoring loud enough to drown out a manticore's roar, they both slept until morning.

Author's Note:

Yeah, I guess I had to let Rainbow Dash be a bit of a jerk in this chapter but it's part of what I like about her and it hasn't popped up enough lately. Fluttershy is her usual kind self and helps Windyday deal with some of the emotions she's ignored for a long time. Next chapter needs a final read through and it's done and will be pretty much just RD's first day of training. After that it's the night at the show (short chapter) and then Dash and Immelmane train the next day. More interesting stuff after that as the three Wonderbolts join Rainbow Dash in Ponyville.

I am sooo behind in what I want to do that I can't even begin to explain it. Stupid real life interference.

PreviousChapters Next