• Published 29th May 2013
  • 795 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 795

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62

Chapter 62

The weather did clear in the afternoon and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were able to practice their sky dancing. Dash also ran through her new routine a few times while Fluttershy watched. Rainbow Dash agreed to meet Fluttershy at Rarity's shop in the morning. Fluttershy had a few new flight suits to take to a shop in Cloudsdale and Rainbow Dash was glad to have a little company for the trip.

Friday morning was clear but breezy as Rainbow Dash flew down to Rarity's shop. Fluttershy was not there yet so she settled her bill with Rarity and packed her new suits for the trip to Cloudsdale. She had decided to wear the golden flight suit that Rarity had made her for the try outs. Rarity was a little disappointed that Dash wasn't wearing one of the new ones until Dash explained that the first time she would wear them in public would be at a show. Their talk drifted to the calendar and poster idea.

“Do you know any photographers in town?” asked Dash.

“Yes, one or two,” replied Rarity. “I don't know if they'll be good enough to pull this off though. It does take some talent to get a really good picture. Maybe Photo Finish?”

“No,” said Rainbow Dash, “I don't think we want her. From what you and Fluttershy told me about her, she doesn't seem the type to just come in and shoot the picture and leave. Besides, she'd probably charge a hoof and a leg to do the job.”

“What about using the photographer that took your Wonderbolt photos?” asked Rarity. “They seem to know what they're doing.”

“He might do it,” said Dash. “I was happy with my picture and I thought the others looked good too. We have a little time. Check out the local photographers while I'm gone. I'll ask Windy and Frost and she if they're up for it. If you think a local can do the job, we'll go with them, if not I'll ask the guy that does the Wonderbolt's pictures. We have to wait until Firewing gets here anyway.”

“Alright,” said Rarity, “I'll do that. Maybe we'll get lucky. I have a few ideas about the shots and poses, I'll draw them up too.”

“I only had one idea,” said Dash. “What if we got some clouds and put them in front of your shop to make it look like it was in the air?”

“I like it,” said Rarity, with a smile, “I was hoping to use my shop in a few shots.”

“I wonder what's keeping Fluttershy?” said Dash. “We should get flying.”

“She's probably saying goodbye to all of her animals, or giving last minute instructions to Applejack and Apple Bloom,” said Rarity.

“Ugh,” grunted Dash, “that could take all day. I want to get to Cloudsdale and relax for a while. Mr. Immelmane is giving me the day off and I want to take advantage of it.”

“I thought you were going to see your architect,” said Rarity.

“Just briefly,” said Dash, “all I have to do is get the numbers and look at some drawings. I'd like to get a copy of the drawings sent to Canterlot. I'd feel better if the Princesses liked the design as much as I do.”

“I'd like to see it too,” said Rarity, “maybe I could help with the interior decor.”

“Maybe,” said Dash, “but we'll have to get Twilight to cast that walking on clouds spell. There are a few places in cloud homes that will support solid objects but I wouldn't feel right taking a non-pegasus pony up there. One wrong step and you'd fall a long way.”

Rarity grimaced, remembering her near fatal fall in Cloudsdale. “I agree. I'll stay on the ground from now on, thank you very much. I can still help though. Maybe I can work off of the drawings or you could take some pictures.”

“Sure,” said Dash, “we could do that. I'm not sure how much you'll be able to do. Cloud homes are pretty much just ...well, clouds. Maybe some curtains would be nice.”

“What about furniture?” asked Rarity.

“Clouds,” said Dash.

“What color are the walls going to be?” asked Rarity.

“Cloud color,” said Dash, “same as the floors and ceiling.”

“What about shelves? Appliances? Closets?” asked Rarity.

“Okay, now those have to be installed and are normal, well, sort of normal,” said Dash. “The shelves and closets have to be sealed to keep the contents from getting damp. Maybe I can pick up some brochures in Cloudsdale.”

At that moment Fluttershy entered the shop. She was wearing the flight suit that Rarity had made for her and was also out of breath.

“Sorry I'm late,” she gasped, “there was so much to do this morning. I didn't think I'd ever get here.”

“Getting here is one thing,” said Rainbow Dash, “we still have to get to Cloudsdale.”

“Come Fluttershy,” said Rarity, “let's get you packed up.”

Rainbow Dash watched impatiently as Rarity started to pack Fluttershy's bags. Her impatience turned to worry as the bags started to bulge. She decided to step in.

“Wait a second, Rarity,” said Dash, “just how much are you trying to put in those bags?”

“Well, there are four suits, some new drawings, the contracts, some bits to cover Fluttershy's expenses, I guess that's about all,” said the unicorn.

Rainbow Dash took off her own bags. “Put a couple of those suits in my bags,” she said. “Fluttershy will be exhausted by the time she makes Cloudsdale with all that weight.”

“Thanks, Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy, “I could use a little help.”

“Sorry,” said Rarity, “I wasn't thinking. At least most of the other cities have train stations. You won't have to worry about weight then.”

“It's all that paper that adds the weight,” said Dash. “You can put some of those drawings in my bag too.”

Rarity nodded and finished repacking the bags. At last they were ready to go, or so they thought.

“Wait!” said Rarity suddenly, “I almost forgot the suit I designed for the Golden Sun team.”

“Put it in my bag,” sighed Dash. “I'll give it to Frost and let her deliver it.”

“There!” said Rarity, “have a nice flight.”

“See you Monday,” said Rainbow Dash, “and thanks again for having my suits ready.”

“Goodbye, Rarity,” said Fluttershy, “and don't worry. I'll be sure to get everything taken care of and I'll see you tomorrow.”

“No, you won't,” said Rainbow Dash, “you're staying until Sunday. I can't tell you why, it's a surprise.”

“Well, until Sunday then,” said Rarity. “Get going you two. Rainbow Dash wants to enjoy her day off.”

Rarity walked them to the door but held Rainbow Dash back at the last second. “What's the surprise?” she asked in a whisper.

Rainbow Dash put her mouth next to Rarity's ear. “Immelmane got us tickets to a sky dancing show,” she whispered.

Rarity giggled and gave Dash a quick hug. “Enjoy,” she said. “I can't wait to hear all about it.”

Rainbow Dash joined Fluttershy and the pair took off. They waved once more to Rarity and sped off in the direction of Cloudsdale.

“Thanks for helping to carry some of this weight,” said Fluttershy. “These are heavy enough.”

“I can take a little more if you need me to,” offered Dash.

“No,” said Fluttershy, “I'll be fine. You know, I think I'm getting stronger.”

“You've been spending a lot more time in the air,” said Dash. “Even a couple of weeks of that will make your wing muscles stronger. Wait until you've been doing this for a year.”

“Is that how it was with you?” asked Fluttershy.

“Sort of,” said Dash, “but I started to fly when I was really little. I was buzzing all over the place for as long as I can remember. I was always faster than foals my age but once I started school I really started getting stronger. After I got my cutie mark I started hanging out with older fillies and colts. I started to learn how to really fly then. It's more than just speed. I learned to maneuver too.”

“Is that where you learned all those wild stunts?” asked Fluttershy.

“Some of them,” said Dash, “but we were always trying new stuff and I've kept doing that. I do some things no other pegasus does. Coming up with new things is my job now. I hope I can keep doing it for a long time too.”

“I do too,” said Fluttershy, “so be careful.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “I'll try, but I'm not promising anything. I have to clear new stunts with Immelmane anyway.”

The pair flew on and chatted from time to time but mainly they focused their energy on flying. Soon Cloudsdale grew near. They went to see Dash's architect first.

Cloud Charm and her father welcomed the two Ponyville pegasi and introductions were made. The architects then quickly ushered them into the back room. There was a pegasus there that Rainbow Dash had not met.

“You've arrived at a very good time,” said Cloud Shaper. “This is Mr. Stacker of Cloudsdale Construction. I told him that you would be here today. I also have the numbers that I promised. These are just basic figures of course. There will be some finishing charges but that isn't part of Mr. Stacker's business and will be included in my charges.”

Rainbow Dash looked at the paper. Stacker wanted eighty-eight hundred for the materials, including the set up, and another thousand for delivery. ninety-eight hundred total plus another twenty-seven hundred for Cloud Shaper's services, after discount. Twelve thousand five-hundred bits total and it was sure to be more when all was said and done. Rainbow Dash remained stoic as she read the paper but inwardly she was reeling. She couldn't imagine paying that many bits for anything.

“I must say that I'm pleased to meet you, Ms. Dash,” said Mr. Stacker. “I was told that you were quite an attractive mare but they didn't do you justice. I'm looking forward to seeing you perform.”

“Thank you,” replied Rainbow Dash. She was pleased by the praise but wasn't letting her guard down for an instant. She waited for the other hoof to drop.

“Mr. Shaper said you may be willing to pose for our calendar in exchange for a discount,” said Stacker. “I could make it worth your while.”

“Really?” said Rainbow Dash. “I've been considering a few offers from other companies but none in the construction trade. I would want final say on what pictures would be used and I don't do anything dirty.”

“Oh, my no,” said Stacker, “we wouldn't want you to. These calendars hang in offices and are for advertizing purposes. We could probably make a deal regarding what pictures would be used.”

“I see,” said Rainbow Dash, “I might be able to do that. I'll consider doing it for, oh, let's say thirty percent off and free delivery and set up.”

Stacker was caught off guard by this. It was an outrageous figure by any standard. True, the company would still make a profit but if this little mare thought she could get away with that she had another think coming. He laughed. “Come now, Ms. Dash,” he said, “don't you think that's a little high?”

“Maybe,” said Rainbow Dash, “but I'm willing to listen to a counter offer. Not right now though, I have a lot to do today and must be going. Your figures for my new home seem to be in order and I think we may be able to do business. Mr. Shaper will get in touch with you when I'm ready to start.”

“I thought you were in a hurry,” said Cloud Shaper. “Is there something wrong with the design?”

“I haven't seen the finished design yet,” reminded Dash, “and I want a copy of that sent to Canterlot for Princess Celestia's and Princess Luna's approval before we go forward.”

“I see,” said Cloud Shaper, “I'll take care of that as soon as you say so. Charm, please show Rainbow the drawing you made.”

Cloud Charm took Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to another part of the room and showed them her revised design. It was lovely and Rainbow Dash felt it would look beautiful floating at the edge of Whitetail Wood. There was also a revised floor plan, similar to the first but modified for the spires. Dash immediately approved the design and told Charm how much she loved it.

“I am glad,” said Charm, “but tell me; you're not going to have trouble paying for this are you? Your terms were a bit... unreasonable.”

“No,” said Dash, “I'll be fine. I just wanted to tweak Stacker's muzzle. I found out all about those calendars and how much the company makes from them. He'll counter with a low offer but I'm not falling for it. I'll get the materials from Las Pegasus first.”

Charm started to snicker. “Oh, that is great. I won't say a word, not even to dad.”

“Do you think you can get me a copy of your drawing too?” asked Rainbow Dash. “I'd like to show my friends what I'm doing.”

“Sure,” said Charm, “you can go ahead and take this one and the quotes dad gave you. I have copies of them. I still need to finish making copies of the floor plans. I'll have them ready in a couple of hours.”

“Thanks Charm,” said Dash, “I don't know quite what I'll be doing this weekend. Could you drop them off at the Wonderbolts Compound?”

“I can do that,” said Charm, “anything else?”

“I don't suppose the Las Pegasus company has an office in Cloudsdale, do they?” asked Dash.

“Yes,” said Charm, “they make a few specialty items that the Cloudsdale factory doesn't. Let me give you the address.” Charm quickly wrote down the address on a piece of scrap paper. “I've been looking forward to using some of their products. Good luck with getting a deal from them. The name of the company is Las Pegasus Quality Clouds Inc. The office is pretty plain but don't let that fool you. The factory in Las Pegasus is first rate.”

“Thanks, Charm,” said Dash, “I'll try to stop by as soon as I find out anything.”

Charm smiled. “You certainly are one of our more interesting clients, I'm going to enjoy this.”

“Bye for now, Charm,” said Dash. “Fluttershy and I have a few stops to make before I report in.” Dash turned and called to Cloud Shaper and Mr. Stacker who were engaged in a whispered conversation on the other side of the room. “I'll try to stop by before I go back to Ponyville, Mr. Shaper. Nice to meet you Mr. Stacker, I hope we can do business.”

Mr. Stacker gave Rainbow Dash a strained smile. “Nice to meet you too, Ms. Dash. I'll pass along your proposal but I know they won't be willing to pay you that much. Stop by if you're willing to consider a counter offer.”

“Certainly,” replied Rainbow Dash, “I'm sort of new to this whole thing. Perhaps I asked for a little too much.”

“Do stop by before you leave,” said Cloud Shaper, “I want you to write a note to the Princesses so they know this is regarding your house and not just a random letter from an architectural firm.”

“Sure,” said Dash, “I'll be around Monday, I think. If not I'll write the letter and drop it off in your mail slot.”

“That will be fine,” said Cloud Shaper. “I hope to see you then.”

“It was nice meeting you all,” said Fluttershy softly.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash left the office and flew down the street. Once they got around the corner Rainbow Dash stopped. She leaned against a building and began to laugh. Fluttershy was a little confused as to why but Dash's laughter was infectious and she giggled too.

“Why are you laughing?” she asked Dash.

“That Stacker guy was about to blow up,” stammered Dash, as she continued to laugh. “I could barely keep from cracking up in there. That discount I asked for was almost four thousand bits! They usually only pay a thousand.”

“Why were you asking so much?” asked Fluttershy.

Dash peaked around the corner. Stacker was leaving the office, a scowl on his face. Dash quickly ducked back before she was seen. She couldn't answer Fluttershy as she stifled her laughter. She silently staggered down the street to a point where she felt Stacker would not hear her and released her laughter. In a few moments she regained control and put a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder to steady herself. She told Fluttershy what Spitfire had told her.

Even normally calm and demure Fluttershy was outraged. “That's awful Rainbow,” she said, “I have a notion to go and put that guy in his place.”

Rainbow Dash knew that she meant it. “I can take care of it. That's why I want to see what kind of deal Las Pegasus will give me. Come on, let's go deliver these suits.”

Fluttershy led the way to the shop that was going to carry Rarity's designs in Cloudsdale. It was in the center of the cloud city, tucked in between a restaurant and a jewelry store. Fluttershy walked in while Rainbow Dash paused briefly to look at the front of the store. Clothing for both mares and stallions were displayed in the large front window. A sign stretched across the entire front of the store proclaiming 'Stardust Clothiers, Ms. Royal Airs proprietor'. Rainbow Dash followed Fluttershy into the shop.

Fluttershy was already talking to Royal Airs when Rainbow Dash entered. Dash could tell that this was definitely a high end shop. She joined them at the counter.

“Welcome to my shop, Ms. Dash,” said Royal Airs, “I see you're wearing that wonderful suit that Rarity made you. I watched you when you performed on the last day of the try outs, I can't believe that you didn't win the top position.”

“Thank you,” replied Dash, “I did win the individual competition but Windyday is a more experienced formation flier. They made a good choice. I'm happy with being the first soloist.”

“You have a place in history,” said Royal Airs, “I envy you that. Fluttershy says that you helped her bring the suits here from Ponyville. I can hardly wait to see them.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy took the hint and began to unpack their bags. Rainbow Dash had all of Rarity's things on one side of her saddlebags. After unpacking the two suits for the shop and the drawings that Rarity had included, Rainbow Dash decided to redistribute the weight to make the bags more even. Royal Airs immediately noticed the additional suits.

“I hope that those aren't for another shop,” she said.

“No,” said Dash, “two are mine and one is a prototype for the Golden Sun team.”

“That's right,” added Fluttershy, “Rarity decided on your shop alone for Cloudsdale. She wanted me to talk to you more about licensing so you can make her designs here.”

“I would certainly be interested in doing that,” said Royal Airs, “but I have limited means to do so. I contract out most of my work to unicorns in Canterlot. It's difficult to find pegasi here in Cloudsdale that can sew. I employ two very good ones but they are painfully slow compared to what unicorns can do.”

“I understand,” said Fluttershy, “I'll be going to all the major cities in Equestria to market Rarity's designs, maybe I can make a three way deal with the unicorns you use to supply both Cloudsdale and Canterlot.”

“That's possible,” said Royal, her eyes drifting to Rainbow Dash's saddle bags. “Oh, I can't stand it anymore, please show me the suits she made for you personally. I simply must have a peek.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy both giggled. “Sure,” said Rainbow Dash, “I can do that.” She unpacked her bags and, with Fluttershy's help held up the suits one at a time for Royal Airs to view.

Royal Airs viewed the suits critically. She liked the dark blue one better, thinking the white one too plain. Rainbow Dash had made the same mistake and gleefully offered to show the suit in the sunlight. Royal Airs was as stunned as Dash had been and examined the material closely.

“This is just stunning,” she said, “I have to fly to meet with this designer as soon as possible. What she did with this is a work of genius.”

“I'm sure she would love to meet with you,” said Fluttershy, “I'll tell her as soon as I get back to Ponyville.”

“Something else you will want to talk to her about is advertizing,” said Rainbow Dash. “The four of us new Wonderbolts are thinking about doing some posters and calendars for Rarity. Only the shops carrying her clothing will be allowed to sell them. It could bring a lot of business into your shop.”

Royal Airs eyes betrayed her enthusiasm but she spoke calmly. “Yes, I would certainly be interested in that. Would you four be available to do an autograph session?”

“Maybe,” said Dash, “I'll have to check with the Wonderbolt's leaders first. This is still in the planning stages but it's good to know that you'd be interested.”

“I'd be a fool not to be,” replied Royal Airs. “When do you think they'll be available?”

“I'll be talking to Frost and Windy today and clearing up some details with the Wonderbolts this weekend,” said Dash. “I'll get together with Firewing on Tuesday and get her take on it. Rarity is checking out photographers and getting some ideas for shots. If all goes well, maybe a couple of weeks.”

“I suppose I should go see Rarity this week,” said Royal Airs. “Are you going to be in Ponyville too?”

“I'll be there nearly all week,” said Dash, “but I'll be coming back here next Friday.”

“I'll see if I can get away for a day and fly in,” said Royal. “Is her shop hard to find?”

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both laughed. “Ponyville is small,” said Fluttershy, “you can ask anypony and they can direct you right to it.”

“I have to get going,” said Rainbow Dash, “I hope to see you next week. Fluttershy, I'll try to meet up with you latter. You can either drop by the compound or we can meet at your hotel.”

“Yes, just come get me at the hotel whenever you're ready,” said Fluttershy. “I'm going to rest for a while after I check in.”

“Sure,” said Dash, “I'll stop by after supper. See you then!”

Rainbow Dash left the shop and hurried to the address that Charm had given her. I turned out to be another office building on a different cloud. After wandering the halls for a few minutes, Rainbow Dash found a door bearing the sign 'Las Pegasus Q.C.I.'. She entered the office and found a pony asleep at his desk.

Dash walked up to the desk and bent down to look at the sleeping pony. The desk was devoid of anything except a quill, an inkwell and a single piece of paper. On the paper was a fairly good drawing of a mare's face. She looked around the office. There were a few brochures, some pictures of buildings and the Las Pegasus factory. It was a spartan, depressing sort of place.

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. There was no reaction from the pony. She bent down again to the ponies eye level and kicked the desk with her foreleg. The pony jumped.

The bewildered pony found himself looking at the face of a blue mare just a few hoof widths away from his face. His eyes popped open and he sat up quickly. He was startled and though his mouth moved he was at a loss as to what to say.

Rainbow Dash decided to initiate the conversation. “Hello,” she said.

“Hello,” replied the pony. “Er, welcome to Las Pegasus Quality Cloud Incorporated.”

“Sorry to wake you,” said Dash, barely suppressing a giggle. “I'm building a house and I was hoping you could help me.”

“You're a..a customer?” said the pony. “Yes! Of course! Please have a seat. I'm Long Flight, manager of the Cloudsdale office. Um, have.. have we met? You look familiar.”

“No,” said Dash, “we haven't met. I'm Rainbow Dash, you may have seen me in the papers.”

“Yes, that's it!” exclaimed Long Flight. “You're one of the new Wonderbolts. It's a pleasure to meet you. I apologize for the state in which you found me. I don't get a lot of customers; the Cloudsdale factory usually undersells us. Transport costs you know. We do make a few unique items that Cloudsdale doesn't and I suppose that's the only reason I'm here. I'm sorry if I'm rambling, what can I do for you?”

“I'm building a home,” said Dash, “and I want you to give me an estimate. I also would like to discuss perhaps getting a discount in exchange for advertizing.”

“An estimate for a whole house,” repeated Long Flight, “certainly, I can do that. Is the Cloudsdale plant unable to fulfill your request? As I said, we have to charge more due to transport costs.”

“I'm not building in Cloudsdale,” said Dash, “I'm building in Ponyville.”

“Alright,” said Long Flight, “perhaps I can help you. Do you have a floor plan I could see?”

“I'll have one later today,” said Rainbow Dash, “but I do have a drawing and an estimate from the Cloudsdale plant.” She pulled the papers from her bags and laid them on the table.

“This is very nice,” said Long Flight, “I would love to be in on this project. You're building in Ponyville, you say? I didn't know there were any cloud homes in that town.”

“Just the one for the weather team leader,” said Dash, “that isn't me anymore so I have to build a new one.”

“Yes,” he said as he looked at the estimate. “I'm just guessing mind you, but I think we can at least match the price. The problem is still transport costs. Cloudsdale is charging about five-hundred bits less. If you're looking for a discount then I suppose that Cloudsdale has offered you one?”

“Yeah,” said Dash, “but I don't like their terms. Listen, I'm a new Wonderbolt, I'm the first soloist in the history of the Wonderbolts, I'm one of the Elements of Harmony and my house is being built next door to a royal retreat that the Princesses are building just outside of Ponyville. All that has got to be worth something in advertizing.”

Long Flight looked stunned. His mind raced as he thought of the possibilities. “Yes, it is,” he said at last. “What sort of discount do you think it's worth?”

“As much as I can get,” said Dash with a grin. “I'm not telling you the Cloudsdale factories terms but if you can beat their price, including delivery and set up, by at least a thousand bits, I think we can do a deal. The more you give me, the more ads I'll agree to do. You said you have some unique products. Like what? If it's something I like I might take it instead of cash.”

“I'll have to contact my superiors,” said Long Flight, “but I think we can make a very good offer that you will like. As to our unique products, how would you like a fireplace?”

“A fireplace?” said Dash in astonishment, “In a cloud home? How did you manage that? Doesn't it cause the clouds to evaporate?”

“We found a way around it,” said Long Flight, with a smile. “Our closets and storage bins are a step above anything else you'll find too. The density of our walls is much higher too. LPQCI is a forward thinking company that offers a superior product. We just suffer from comparative isolation.”

“I'm very interested,” said Dash, “do you have something I could pass on to my architect?”

“Of course,” said Long Flight. He went to a cabinet and came back with several brochures. “These are all standard items but we can customize them to some extent.”

“Thank you very much,” said Rainbow Dash, “I'll look these over and get back to you. I'll be in town next Friday. Can I expect a proposal by then?”

“I can't promise but I'll try very hard. I'll fly to Las Pegasus personally,” said Long Flight. “Can you give me some idea what sort of advertizing you'd be willing to do?”

“How about this,” said Rainbow Dash, “you beat their offer by a thousand bits and I'll do a magazine ad and or newspaper ad. You can run it as many times as you like. I'll also keep a small sign in front of the house for one year. I get final say on what picture is used and I won't lie for you. If you want more, I'm willing to talk.”

“That should be enough to start with,” said Long Flight. “May I copy down these numbers?”

“Sure,” said Dash, “I'll see if I can get the architect to drop off a set of plans and a picture too.”

That would be excellent,” said Long Flight, “who is the architect, may I ask?”

“Cloud Charm,” said Rainbow Dash, “she's the daughter of Cloud Shaper.”

“Oh, yes,” said Long Flight, “I've worked with them. Very good firm.”

“Charm is stopping by the compound later,” said Dash, “I'll talk to her then.”

“Tell her that I'll be in the office tomorrow until two,” said Long Flight. “I'd really like to talk to her about your home.”

“Sure,” said Dash, “I'll tell her. If that's all, I'll be going now.”

“Just one more thing,” said Long Flight, “how may I contact you?”

“You can either mail me at the Wonderbolt Compound or in Ponyville,” said Dash. She thought for a second. “In Ponyville use this address, Rainbow Dash in care of Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville Library. I'll be at the Compound most weekends, it's when I do my training.”

“Fine,” said Long Flight, “I'll contact you as soon as possible.”

“Thanks,” said Dash, “I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.”

“Thank you, Ms. Dash,” said Long Flight, “I sincerely hope we can build your new home.”

Dash smiled and left the office. She was only a few steps from the door when she heard Long Flight singing.

“I get to build a house, I get to build a house. A great big house next to the Princesses, I get to build a HOUUSSE!”

Rainbow Dash giggled and headed to the Compound.

Author's Note:

Rainbow Dash the player. heh Between observing Filthy Rich and listening to Spitfire, RD just might end up being like Mike. She's also taking her aptitude for pranking to a different arena. Poor Long Flight was fun. Salespony with hardly any customers. I wanted to give the impression that he had been sort of shuffled off to Cloudsdale because no pony else wanted the job.

PreviousChapters Next