• Published 29th May 2013
  • 795 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 795

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 71

Chapter 71

Rainbow Dash and Windyday spent a quiet evening in Windy's room. It had been a busy weekend and both ponies were a little tired. The only highlight was a short flight to the lake before bed. The pair did a sky dance just for fun. It wasn't anything fit for a performance and both of them were performing such silly moves that they would have been embarrassed to be seen doing it in public. Still, it was good for a laugh and it helped them relax. Frost came in late in the evening and stopped by Windy's room to say that a young mare by the name of Harvest Moon had been chosen to take her place on the Golden Sun team. She seemed tired or depressed and didn't stay long. Rainbow Dash finished packing her bags and she and Windy went to bed.

The next morning Windyday woke Rainbow Dash has she had the previous mornings of her stay. Together they headed down to breakfast. Unlike the weekend, the courtyard was buzzing with activity. Support ponies moved supplies and loaded Immelmane's litter. Some Wonderbolts and other ponies were going to breakfast and others stood in small groups here and there. Immelmane was speaking with Spitfire as he showed her something on a clipboard.

Windy and Dash were about half-way to the dining hall when Frost landed beside them. She looked much better than she had the previous night and greeted them happily.

“Good morning, Frosty,” said Dash, “you look like you're ready to do some flying today.”

“I am,” said Frost, “today's the last official practice for the week for me. If it's okay with you I might just fly out to Ponyville tonight.”

“Sure,” said Dash, “make sure you eat before you leave. It's a couple hour flight to Ponyville and there won't be much open by the time you get there. I'll have some snacks but that's about all.”

“Okay,” said Frost, “I know you can't cook. I'll try to bring a few things along that we can all share.”

“I'll do that when I come out Tuesday too,” said Windy. “Say, is Firewing coming here first or is she going straight to Ponyville?”

“I don't know,” said Dash. “I think she's coming by train so it would make more sense for her to go to Ponyville but if she's bringing a bunch of stuff with her she might want to come here first and drop it off before flying to Ponyville.

“I wish I knew,” said Windy, “I'd fly out with her if she'd wait until after practice tomorrow. It wouldn't be much of a difference as far as time goes.”

“You'll be okay,” said Frost. “You know the way and it isn't that far.”

“I suppose,” said Windy, “but I wouldn't mind a little company.”

“It's too late to do anything about it now anyway,” said Dash. “Manehatten is a long way off and she might already be on her train. If she isn't here by the time you're ready to leave, just come by yourself. It probably means she's in Ponyville already.”

Windyday was satisfied with this though not happy about it. She fell silent and the three friends entered the dining hall. They talked as they ate their breakfast, looking forward to what they considered a vacation. They were nearly finished with their meal when Spitfire walked up to them. She seemed to be in a good mood.

“Good morning,” said Spitfire, “all ready for a good day of training?”

“You bet,” said Frost, “do you think I'll get another chance to fly with the team today?”

“As a matter of fact, yes,” said Spitfire. “You'll get a try at all three slots this afternoon. This morning you'll be practicing solo and then you'll work on the new sky dance. If you have the routine down for all three positions, you'll get to fly them all.”

“Even lead slot?” asked Frost in disbelief.

“Yes,” said Spitfire, “even my position, so do a good job if you want to fly with the team.”

“You can count on it,” said Frost. “Sit down and have some breakfast.”

“I was up early and had a snack in my room,” said Spitfire. “I had some things to do before we start for today. Rainbow, I know you didn't put up the sign up sheet for that calendar idea. Don't bother. We've decided to let just you four split the proceeds with your friend Rarity but there are a few conditions. First, you have to donate twenty percent of the profits to the Wonderbolt's Education Fund. Second, the cover of the calendar will feature a spread of all the Wonderbolts and the support ponies in a group shot. We're going to provide a poster of the same shot to include with the one you're selling. That will be free of charge. You'll also do an autograph session along with every other pony on the poster. We're only going to do a hundred of them and they'll be sold sealed just like any of the others. Sort of an incentive to buy the posters. Every pony has an equal chance of getting one of the signed versions. How does that sound?”

“It sounds great,” replied Dash, “but what's the Wonderbolt's Education Fund? I've been a fan all my life and I've never heard of it.”

“It's something new,” said Spitfire with a smile, “I've recently met some young ponies that deserve a little help with their education and decided to help.” She looked at Frost.

“Oh sweet Celestia,” said Frost quietly as she realized who Spitfire was talking about. She suddenly leaped out of her chair and hugged Spitfire. “Thank you!” she cried, “I was trying to figure out a way to help them and you did it! You did it!”

Spitfire stumbled backwards under Frost's weight but eventually lost her balance and both of them ended up on the floor much to the amusement of the other ponies in the hall.

“Alright! Alright!” said Spitfire, “You're grateful, I get it!”

Frost got to her hooves first and extended a hoof to Spitfire to help her up. Spitfire took it and struggled back up. Rainbow Dash and Windyday got up to assist them and picked up some of Spitfire's papers that had scattered on the floor. Soarin trotted over to see what was going on.

“Are you okay?” he asked Spitfire. “What was that all about anyway?”

“I'm fine,” said Spitfire, “Frost just got a little overexcited about the Education Fund.”

Soarin looked at Frost and smiled. “We're going to check out your friend Misty for starters,” he said. “If it looks like she has a chance at the weather school, the fund will hoof the bill.”

Frost squealed and hugged Soarin. He was able to stay upright until Rainbow Dash joined her friend in hugging the startled stallion. Soon Soarin was on the floor with Dash and Frost on top of him. He didn't seem as upset about this as Spitfire had been. Dash was the first to get up.

“Sorry, Soarin,” said Rainbow, “I was just so happy to hear about you guys helping Misty. She's a good pony. You won't regret helping her.” Dash gave Spitfire a much more restrained hug. “Thanks, Spitfire.”

“It isn't 'you guys',” said Spitfire, “it's 'us'. You're part of this now. Go on home and get to work on the calendar idea. The rest of you, it's time to hit the sky. Out to the practice field. You have twenty minutes to get in your suits and get warmed up.”

“Come on Dash,” said Windy, “I'll let you in the room before I head out, just lock up when you leave.”

Dash arose and followed Windyday. “See you tonight Frosty,” she said. “You won't have any trouble finding my house, it's the only one in the sky.”

“See ya Dash,” said Frost, “this should be a great week.”

“It sure should,” said Dash. “See ya next weekend everypony!”

The Wonderbolts in the hall all called out goodbye or waved to Rainbow as she followed Windy to the exit. The pair quickly went to Windy's room where Rainbow hurried to pack a few odds and ends and Windy donned her practice suit. Rainbow Dash was done first and gave Windy a quick hug.

“Thanks for letting me stay here this weekend,” said Dash. “I'll see you tomorrow or Wednesday.”

“Anytime, Rainbow,” said Windyday, “I had a good time this weekend, even with the little problem with the press and at Stratos. I really needed to be around some friends.”

“I had fun too, Windy,” said Rainbow Dash, “but wait until you get to Ponyville. This week is gonna rock.”

*** *** *** ***
Rainbow Dash left and headed down to the offices where she picked up her mail. She left the compound and headed to Las Pegasus Quality Clouds. A familiar looking pony sat behind the desk. He looked up as she entered.

“Good morning Rainbow,” he said, “Long Flight said you might stop by.”

“Skyline?” said Rainbow Dash, “is that you? It's been a long time.”

“It sure has,” agreed Skyline, “it must be eight years at least.”

“Yeah,” said Dash, “so you work here now. Small world. So I guess Long Flight isn't here.”

“No, he flew to Las Pegasus to try to do a deal on your house,” said Skyline. “Thanks for the overtime, by the way.”

“Sorry,” laughed Dash, “I didn't think he would have any information yet but I thought I'd check anyway. I won't be around until next weekend.”

“He seemed really confident about it when he left,” said Skyline. “I'm glad you'll be building with our materials. You won't regret it.”

“I'm usually all for Cloudsdale,” said Dash, “but after what I found out about how the Cloudsdale factory works, I think I'd rather go with Las Pegasus. I'm not doing their sexy calendar for the little bit of discount they're offering.”

Skyline laughed. “I couldn't buy one anyway. My wife would kill me.”

“Who did you marry?” asked Dash.

“No pony you know,” said Skyline. “Her name's Sleet Storm. I met her in Las Pegasus. We were working at the same casino and just hit it off. We have a two year old foal and another one on the way. Good thing I got this job or I'd never be able to afford to bring them up right.”

“I guess you really meant it when you thanked me for the overtime,” said Rainbow Dash. “I'd like to stay and chat some more but I have to go see my architect and then fly back to Ponyville.”

“We'll get a chance to get caught up,” said Skyline. “I handle a lot of stuff for Long Flight so we're sure to see each other again.”

“Okay,” said Dash, “see ya Sky.”

“Take care Dash,” said Skyline. “I'm glad we'll be working on your house.”

*** **** *** ****
Dash left the office and headed to see Charm. She was able to see the young architect and look at some revised plans. Charm had incorporated a fireplace into the den of Dash's home.

“I love this,” said Dash. “This is going to be one cool cloud home. You did something to the entrance and the spires too. I'm not so sure about that.”

“It was partly dad's idea and part mine,” said Charm. “We both thought that copying the pillar design for the entrance from the Princess' building looked good. Dad still wanted the smaller spires but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to put them in. I'm not happy with this version either.”

“I don't like the flat area on top of the two large spires,” said Dash. “That could be a problem during a heavy snow or even a bad rainstorm.”

“Well, I thought about turning them into covered balconies around the windows,” said Charm. “I'd have to either lower the roof of the center section or raise the height of the two large spires to pull it off though.”

“I'd raise the height rather than lower the roof,” said Dash. “I'm willing to give you a chance at it but if I don't like it, we're going back to the original plan. I do like the entrance so you can mark that approved.”

“Alright,” said Charm, “but it kind of messes up the bath room entrances. I'll have to either put stairs going down to it or make the ceiling extra high and leave the floor the way it is. I'll draw up a couple of versions and you can pick the one you like. I want to fly out to Ponyville this week and get a look at your land and you can take a look then.”

“Fine with me,” said Dash, “I'll pay you that thousand when you come out too. I'll be staying in my cloud home for a while yet so you can find me there. If I'm out practicing, try the Library or Sugar Cube Corner. Somepony there should know where I'm at.”

“I'll probably be there Wednesday,” said Charm. “Will that be alright?”

“Sure, fine,” said Dash. “If that's all, I'll get going.”

“Sure,” said Charm, “are you in a hurry or something?”

“A little,” said Dash, “I have some friends visiting this week and I need to get ready. I want to get some stuff in the mail too. It's going to be a little busy and Immelmane told me to rest as much as I can.”

“I'll let you get going then,” said Charm. “Don't worry. We'll get your house sorted out this week for sure. I've been through a lot worse issues than this.”

“Thanks, Charm,” said Dash, “I'm glad I'm in good hooves.”

Author's Note:

Quick Chapter for a change. I promise I'm going to drop this one day = one chapter thing. It's just too much and even Equestria must have days when not much happens.

PreviousChapters Next