• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39

Scene 39
Fluttershy sat on a cloud above the town looking towards Cloudsdale. It was mid afternoon and Rainbow Dash was expected soon. She squinted at the horizon and at last was rewarded by the sight of two specks in the distance. Soon she could tell that they were pegasi.

Fluttershy called down. “I can see two pegasi coming from Cloudsdale!”

All of her friends called back: “What?”

“I can see two pegasi!” yelled Fluttershy again but it was still not loud enough.

“We can't hear you!” yelled Twilight.

The pegasi were getting closer and Fluttershy could see a glint of gold.

“I think one of them is her!” shouted the yellow pegasus.

“I think she said one of them is her,” said Applejack.

Rarity had an idea. “Fluttershy, if you can see Rainbow Dash, raise one wing!”

Fluttershy raised her wing.

“Good thinking Rarity,” said Pinky Pie.

* * *
Rainbow Dash and Firewing neared Ponyville.

“There it is!” said Rainbow Dash. “You can just make out the roof tops.”

“Yes, I see it,” said Firewing.

“Follow me,” said Dash, “we'll go by my house and drop off our bags.”

“Alright, do you live in town?” asked Firewing.

Rainbow Dash laughed. “No, I live in the clouds. I may hang out with earth ponies but I'm still a pegasus.”

Firewing looked around. “Is that it over there?”

“Yep, you'll like it. It's a lot like Cloudsdale,” said Dash.

They flew to Rainbow Dash's house and shed their bags.

“There! That's better. Now we can give them a little show,” said Dash.

“You just don't get tired,” said Firewing. “What are you going to do?”

“Not much,” replied Rainbow Dash, “because I am tired. I'm just going to do my landing move for them. You can do what you want.”

“I thought you were going to stop doing it,” said Firewing.

“I am going to stop doing it the old way, this is my new safe version,” replied Rainbow.

“Safe version?” Firewing was dubious.

“I do it a lot higher up and then do some loops and flips before I land,” said Dash.

“Okay,” said Firewing relieved. “That sounds...promising.”

“Hey, I promised Immelmane I wouldn't do any dangerous stuff without his approval,” said Dash, “and I meant it.”

“And this isn't dangerous?” asked Firewing.

“As long as I don't go blind or have my wings fall off, I'll be perfectly safe,” said Dash with a shake of her colorful mane.

“Alright, do you want me to go in first or after you?” asked Firewing.

Rainbow Dash thought for a moment. “If I go first my friends will swarm all over me when I land. You go in first, I'll go up high until you land.”

“Okay, I'll do a little razzle dazzle to get their attention and then do the landing I did in my routine,” said Firewing.

“Okay, all set?” asked Dash.

Firewing nodded. “Let's do this.”

* * *
They took off from Rainbow Dash's home. Rainbow Dash went slowly up while Firewing went directly towards Ponyville. As the pair prepared to do their little show, Fluttershy landed in front of Twilight's home to report to her friends.

“What are they doing, Fluttershy?” asked Twilight.

“They went to Dash's home and then left again. They're heading this way,” said Flutter.

“Well it's about time,” said Applejack. “I'm ready to bust.”

“Me too!” said Pinky Pie. “And I don't want to bust. Eww!”

Rarity spotted Firewing descending. “Oh look! Here comes a pegasus!”

“It's Firewing,” explained Fluttershy, “she's Rainbow Dash's friend.”

Firewing did a slow roll and dove toward the five friends. She quickly gained speed and swooped low over the town. She did several spins and regained some altitude. Diving again she did the beautiful ending move to her routine and landed in front of the waiting ponies.

“Hi! I'm Firewing. Rainbow Dash will be here shortly.”

“There she is!” cried Pinky Pie. “Way up there! She's coming down...fast!”

Firewing smiled, having at least some idea of what is coming.

“Wow!” said Fluttershy in a concerned voice. “She really is coming down fast. Too fast. Much too fast. Much too, much too fast!”

Rainbow Dash got nearer the ground and did her modified flat spin trick. She started it much higher up than before and when she pulls out she is still a good thirty hooves off the ground. She pulled out inverted, went into an Immelmane loop, dove into a second loop and then into her stall, landing and bow.

“Hi girls! I'm back!” she shouted.

They did swarm over Rainbow Dash, hugging her and welcoming her back. Fluttershy was as welcoming as the others but as she calmed down she realized what Rainbow Dash just performed.

“Just what was that Rainbow Dash?” she asked in an angry tone. “What did you just do? Are you trying to scare us to death? That's not how you should treat your friends missy. Now what do you have to say for yourself?”

She stepped nearer with each sentence. Rainbow Dash backed up a little each time.

“Fluttershy? I um..”

“Don't you Fluttershy me! I know what that move was. Now you promise me you'll never do that again!” The normally soft spoken pegasus was inscensed.

Firewing started to laugh.

Fluttershy wheeled on her. “And just what are you laughing at?”

“Simmer down there Fluttershy,” said Applejack as she stepped between Fluttershy and Firewing. “I think you'd better give Rainbow a chance to explain.”

Firewing spoke first. “It may look crazy, it might even be a little crazy but Rainbow Dash had that under control.”

“That was some awesome flying Dashie!” said Pinky Pie, giving Dash another hug.

Fluttershy found the situation slipping away from her. “But..but you don't understand.”

“It's okay Fluttershy,” said Rainbow Dash, “I did have it under control. I can show you how I did it.”

“Well, now that you're back,” said Twilight Sparkle, “let's all go inside and make our introductions.”
They all went inside Twilight's library. It was decorated with streamers and food was laid out on the table. Spike was filling a punch bowl.

“Rainbow Dash!” Spike exclaimed, seeing the pegasus, “Welcome back!”

“Hiya Spike. How ya doing?” said Dash. She was surprised to find that she had missed the little dragon almost as much as her pony friends.

Spike laughed. “Hungry! Look at all this.”

“It looks great, we're hungry too, right Firewing?” said Dash.

Firewing nodded. “I sure am. We skipped lunch to get here quicker.”

“Come now,” said Rarity, “we know who Firewing is but she doesn't know us. I am Rarity. Welcome to Ponyville, Firewing.”

“Thank you,” replied Firewing, “but I know who you are too. You're Applejack and Fluttershy and Pinky Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow Dash had a picture of all of you and she told me a lot about you.”

“Really?” said Twilight.

“Of course! I told you I couldn't forget you,” said Rainbow Dash.

“So how did the tryouts go?” asked Twilight. “Are you a Wonderbolt now?”

“I think you know the answer to that,” said Dash with a sly grin. “Hasn't your spy reported in?”

“Our what?” said Applejack in feigned surprise.

“Why, what do you mean dear? A spy?” stammered Rarity.

Rainbow Dash pulled a paper from her suit. “Rarity? I have something for you.”

“Oh, you didn't have to get me anything,” she replied.

“No, it's something of yours.” Dash gave Rarity the drawing that Weather had missed.

“Oh! I... ah... I guess we're busted.” Rarity gave up.

Twilight sighed. “How long did you know?”

“I saw Fluttershy on Monday but didn't recognize her in that flight suit. Black just isn't your color Fluttershy,” said Rainbow Dash.

“I told them it wouldn't work,” said Fluttershy.

“It did for a while,” admitted Dash. “I didn't know for sure until Thursday, Flutterspy.”

“That's what I called her!” laughed Pinky.

“I hope you ain't mad at us, Rainbow Dash,” said Applejack. “We just had to know how you were doin'.”

“We needed to prepare ourselves if you were leaving,” said Pinky Pie.

“Pinky Pie!” exclaimed Rarity.

“I'm sorry girls but I can't pretend any longer. We're really happy you won the tryouts and get to be a Wonderbolt but we're going to miss you so much Dashie!” The pink pony hugged her friend and sobbed.

“Why?” asked Rainbow Dash innocently. “Where are you going?”

“I told them all the Wonderbolts live in Cloudsdale,” said Fluttershy. “They know, Rainbow Dash.”

“You did win, didn't you?” asked Applejack.

“Well, not exactly,” said Dash. She had no intention of passing up this opportunity to tease her friends.
“Windyday won the first open position. But there was a second position opening up next month.”

“So you won that one?” interrupted Twilight.

“Nope, Firewing here won that. But there was a reserve position open.”

“So you won that?” asked Rarity.

“No,” said Dash, “Frost won that.”

“You lost!?” exclaimed Applejack and Spike together.

“No, I won.” said Rainbow Dash.

Applejack couldn't take anymore. “Rainbow Dash, are you a Wonderbolt or not?”

Firewing tried to intervene. “Come on Dash, quit teasing them.”

“Oh alright,” said Dash. “I am a Wonderbolt. I'm a reserve Wonderbolt.”

“Close enough!” said Applejack as she pulled the rope unfurling the Wonderbolt banner.

“You seem pretty happy for not winning the top position,” said Twilight Sparkle. She sensed the rainbow maned pony was up to something.

“I never said I didn't win the top position. I'm the best flier in Equestria!” said Rainbow Dash proudly.

Pinky Pie sat down. “I'm confused.”

“We all are Pinky Pie,” said Rarity as she patted Pinky's shoulder. “We all are.”

“Tell them Dash, or I will!” said Firewing.

“Tell us what?” asked Twilight.

“As well as being a reserve Wonderbolt, you are looking at the new solo aerialist for all the Wonderbolt shows! I get to perform as opening act and during intermission. I'm going to be a star!” said Rainbow Dash. She did an aerial flip just for emphasis.

Firewing continued to explain as Rainbow Dash enjoyed her moment of triumph. “Windyday did win the overall competition but Rainbow Dash here is the best natural flier any of the judges had ever seen. They offered her the second position on the team or to become the featured solo aerialist. If she hadn't turned it down, I wouldn't be starting as a Wonderbolt next month.”

“Let me get this straight,” said Applejack in amazement. “you turned down a chance to be on the Wonderbolts team? Are you feelin' alright there RD?”

“I feel great,” replied Rainbow Dash. “Mr. Immelmane asked me to take the job himself. He said I was the best he'd ever seen. They want the opening act and intermission to be worth watching and I'm the pony that can do it.”

Fluttershy was shocked. “Mr. Immelmane? From School?”

“Yep, that's him. He'll be my coach and choreographer,” said Dash.

“Oh no! He's a scary guy and I thought he hated you,” said Fluttershy.

“I thought so too but we got to know each other better during the tryouts. I even danced with him at the party last night,” said Rainbow Dash.

“She kissed him on the cheek too,” laughed Firewing.

“I think Applejack's right,” said Fluttershy. “You should lie down for a while Rainbow Dash.”

“He isn't like you think Fluttershy. I'll tell you about it, if I can.” Fluttershy found Rainbow Dash to be surprisingly serious.

“So you're really happy about your decision?” asked Twilight.

“Are you kidding? It's the best thing ever!” replied Rainboom Dash. She was so excited that she unconsciously rose into the air. “The Wonderbolts get the two best performers for their team and they're both my friends, not to mention Frost got the reserve spot and we've been friends since before I met any of you, except for Fluttershy. I get the spotlight to myself twice every show and might even fill in if they need me on the team. And best of all, are you ready? I... don't... have... to...MOVE!”

It took a few seconds for it to sink in and then all the ponies pounced on her.

“Firewing! Help!” cried Rainbow Dash.

Firewing just laughed. “You deserve that Dash, teasing them like that.”

“You're staying! You're staying! You're staying!” cried Pinky Pie as she bounced around the room. “This is going to be the best party ever!”

“Rainbow Dash, I can't...I didn't know what we were gonna do without you,” Applejack said.

“Thanks, I was dreading leaving even though I would have if I'd have had to.” Rainbow Dash was getting choked up too.

“We got you a going away gift,” said Twilight. “You don't need it now but here you go anyway.” She gave the blue pony a small package.

“Thanks girls. I really appreciate it.” She opened the package. Inside was a small framed picture of Rainbow Dash and her five friends but Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinky Pie and Applejack all had wings. The caption read 'We're up there with you.'

Rainbow Dash was genuinely touched. “Aww Twilight, girls, thanks so much.” She teared up and passed the picture to Firewing.

“Let us see too!” said Pinky Pie. “We haven't seen it yet.”

“They told me to get something for you to remember us and something about flying and something beautiful. I did the best I could,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“You have some great friends here roomie,” said Firewing. She gave the photo to Rarity who levitated it so that all could see.

“Oh Twilight that is wonderful,” said Rarity. “Who did it?”

“Twilight did it herself,” said Spike.

“I used magic and an old photo,” explained Twilight. “It was sort of Spikes idea. He said, 'It's too bad all of you don't have wings so you could go to Cloudsdale to see Rainbow Dash whenever you wanted.' I thought, well, we can at least be with her in spirit.”

“Twilight and I look like Alicorns,” said Rarity. “We'd better not let Celestia see this.”

“We look pretty good as pegasuses, huh Pinky Pie?” said Applejack.

“It's pegasi,” said the three pegasi together.

Applejack leaned over to Pinky Pie; “I know it's pegasi, but pegasuses is more fun to say.” They both laughed.

“I wish you could have seen it too,” said Dash. “Maybe Firewing and I can put on a little show later.”

“That would be great,” said Twilight, “because the mayor found out you won and the whole town is going to a celebration for you on Tuesday.”

Rainbow Dash giggled. “I should have known they'd do something like this. It's okay, might be fun.”

“I'm looking forward to seeing you fly again,” said Fluttershy. “I really enjoyed those shows you did in the evening when you came back to town.”

“We enjoyed doing them,” said Firewing. “Do you like doing aerobatics?”

All the ponies except Rainbow Dash snicker a bit but don't really want to embarrass Fluttershy in front of Firewing.

“No, I'm not a very strong flier. I could never do the things you and Rainbow Dash do.” said Fluttershy.

“Well I can't, or won't, do some of the things that Rainbow Dash does but that's not the point. Just have fun doing what you can.” Firewing smiled at the yellow pegasus.

Fluttershy smiled back. “I didn't think of it that way.”

“Just try doing some new things. If you don't feel comfortable doing something, then just don't do it. I won't do some of Dash's moves I can tell you that,” said Firewing.

“Like what?” asked Applejack.

“Like that finishing move she used in the tryouts,” said Firewing as she stared at Rainbow Dash who was shaking her head and silently saying 'no'. “You saw how she landed today? It was like that but a lot lower. Her tail almost hit the ground when she pulled out of those spins.”

Fluttershy was stunned. “Rainbow Dash, did you do those spins that low?”

“aah Yeah, I did. I scared the shoes off of every pony.” She couldn't help but giggle.

“That is so dangerous! What were you thinking!” Fluttershy looked at her friend in wonder.

“She said she just thought it 'looked cool'. Don't worry Fluttershy, Immelmane said he'd nail her tail to the floor if she tries that kind of stunt again.” Firewing hoped pressure from her friends would help keep the reckless blue pegasus in check.

“I promised him I wouldn't do anything too dangerous without his permission. I meant it too,” said Rainbow Dash. “I did that trick because I knew I could and I could do it again. But you're right Firewing, you mess up once on that one and it will be the last.”

“Didn't you try to stop her Firewing?” asked Fluttershy.

Firewing nodded her head. “Dash made anyone who knew what she was going to do promise not to tell before she showed them the move. By the time Windyday figured out a way to stop her, it was too late.”

“How could you stop her?” asked Rarity.

“They were going to concede. Can you imagine that?” said Rainbow Dash. “Three finalists in a Wonderbolts tryout quitting so the fourth wouldn't have to do a dangerous maneuver. I had already gone into my dive by the time they figured it out.”

“You were lucky you were able to do that crazy trick,” said Firewing.

Rainbow Dash snorted. “pfft It wasn't luck. I'm just that awesome!”

“Whatever,” said Firewing, “the important thing is you're still here to say that.”

“You all were really going to quit rather than let Rainbow Dash take a risk?” asked Twilight, deeply touched. “I think we should thank you for looking out for our friend.”

“That's for sure,” added Applejack. “You ever need anything, Firewing, you just let us know and we'll come a runnin'.”

Pinky Pie hugged Firewing. “Thank you so much. We wouldn't know what to do if something happened to our Dashie.”

“We all were looking out for each other,” said Firewing modestly. “By the time the tryouts were over, we were all good friends. Except for Twister of course.”

“Yeah,” said Dash in disgust.

“What happened with her anyway?” asked Fluttershy. “We only heard rumors in town.”

“Well, Twister had a kind of nasty reputation that only some of us knew about,” said Rainbow Dash. “I didn't know about her but we sort of didn't get along from the start.”

“Twister insulted Dash the first morning at breakfast,” said Firewing. “I think she was jealous that Dash was faster than her too.”

“What did she say?” asked Rarity.

“She wondered aloud if a clown did my hair,” said Rainbow. “I think she was trying to get under my skin. I've heard worse than that.”

“How rude!” said Rarity.

“Yeah,” said Firewing, “so then we went out to the training area and they had us race each other.”

“I bet I know who won that!” said Pinky Pie. “No pony is faster than Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “I had some warnings about Twister from Frost and Windyday so I took a quick lead during the race and Twister burned out trying to catch me and finished last. After the race she was mad at me and Windyday. Then Frost told her off. She was really mad then.”

“Then we did follow the leader in two groups of five,” continued Firewing. “Dash and I were in the first group and Twister was in the second group. She started flying recklessly, taking chances, bullying her way through. She had a couple of brushes and almost caused a few mid-airs before the real accident. She tried to dive between Sunrise Cloud and Razor and hit Sunrise pretty hard. She almost crashed. She was lucky she wasn't badly hurt.”

“Frost went after Twister and Spitfire and I had to stop her,” said Dash. “It was a bad way to start the first day.”

“I was so worried that you had been hurt when I saw the litter crew flying out,” said Fluttershy looking at Rainbow Dash.

“I was fine. I might not have been if Frost had tried to go through me to get to Twister,” said Dash with a laugh.

“What happened to Twister?” asked Rarity.

“She wasn't hurt,” said Firewing, she sounded disappointed. “They threw her out of the tryouts and made her leave the Wonderbolts compound. There's an inquiry on Wednesday. Dash and I have to go to that.”

“What will happen then?” asked Applejack.

“Well, she's responsible for a mid-air collision and injuring a fellow competitor,” said Dash. “She was flying recklessly. She's in trouble and there's no pony on her side. She's gonna get plucked.”

“Plucked good,” added Firewing.

“They going to pull out her feathers?!” exclaimed Rarity in horror. “How barbaric!”

Rainbow Dash didn't miss a beat; “Yep, and that's gonna hurt.”

Firewing is snickering and Fluttershy is giggling with her hoof over her mouth.

“That's a little extreme don't you think?” asked Twilight.

Pinky Pie noticed Fluttershy. “Fluttershy! Are you laughing?”

Fluttershy lost control. “Sorr...eeheehee I'm ss..sorry. Heeheehee.”

Firewing was sputtering. “Hahaha.”

“I understand that she should be punished,” said Applejack, “but I don't think it's funny.”

Fluttershy laughed louder.

“Fluttershy! I'm surprised at you,” chided Rarity. “You're usually more understanding than this.”

“Well, it's pegasi business,” said Twilight, “but I had no idea you were so mean to each other.”

Dash couldn't keep a straight face any longer started laughing too.

“I think it's gross,” said Pinky Pie. “A plucked pegasus ewww!”

The three winged ponies collapsed on the floor laughing while the others watched them perplexed.

Applejack was the first to think they were being toyed with. “I think these three know sumthin' we don't.”

Firewing recovered first. “'Yeah, we do. Hee hee. Plucked means getting banned from flying. It could mean banned from competing or doing certain types of flying or flying in certain places.”

“Or flying altogether,” added Dash. “It's just slang.”

“Thank goodness!” said Rarity with a gasp. “You had me worried there for a minute.”

“Me too!” said Twilight. “That sounded horrible.”

“I'm sure it would be,” said Dash as she wiped her eyes. “Ugh! You're right Pinky Pie, that would be gross.”

“Yeah, even Twister doesn't deserve that,” said Firewing.

“You pegasi have a weird sense of humor,” said Applejack. “Up til now, I thought it was just Rainbow Dash.”

“I wonder if I should write the Princess about this?” wondered Twilight aloud. “I know I should tell her all about your adventure or maybe you should.”

“I'll be glad to, tomorrow,” said Rainbow. “Today lets just enjoy each others company. Firewing is here to relax a little too. That was a fun but pretty tiring week.”

“I'll bet it was,” said Twilight. “The foods all ready. Let's eat and have a little fun.”

“Rarity, I need your help for a minute,” said Pinky Pie. The pair went off to a table in the corner. The rest assembled around the large table and began to eat.

“It all looks so good,” said Firewing. “I thought I was going to miss the food in Cloudsdale but I don't think I have to worry about that now.”

“Are you from Cloudsdale, Firewing?” asked Twilight.

“No, I'm from Manehatten. The contestants came from all over Equestria.”

“You all flew so beautifully,” said Fluttershy. “I liked your stunts but I really liked the sky dancing.”

“I could show you how to do that,” offered Firewing. “I started out doing sky dancing; my mom had me take lessons for years.”

“Oh, would you?” said Fluttershy excitedly. “I mean if it's not too much trouble.”

“Sure, we can fly a little tomorrow,” said Firewing. “I can't teach you much in just two days but you can at least get started.”

“Why didn't you keep doing sky dancing?” asked Fluttershy.

“It got a little boring for me,” answered Firewing. “I liked it but I'm more like Rainbow Dash. I love aerobatics.”

“I've never tried it,” said Rainbow Dash between bites of food. “It's nice to watch sometimes but I love going fast.”

“You should do it a little bit,” said Firewing. “It will help your stunts.”

“Never thought about it,” said Dash with a frown. “How?”

“It's more strenuous than it looks for one thing,” said Firewing, “so it's good exercise. It also trains you to be precise so you can fly to a point in space. I think you could be good at it. It's also something you can do when you can't do stunt flying anymore.”

“I don't even want to think about that,” shuddered Dash. “Maybe I'll give it a try. It might come in handy sometime. The opening act is about fifteen minutes long. Even I can't fly flat out for that long. Doing something less strenuous now and then will let me catch my breath before the next trick.”

“Don't worry, I think Immelmane has a plan for that,” said Firewing.

“I wish you'd tell us how you got to be friends with him, Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy. “I was always scared of him. I thought he was mean.”

“Don't say that Fluttershy,” said Dash in an injured tone. “He isn't mean. He's just serious and ...grim sometimes. But he's like that because he really cares. He wants his students to remember what he says. When you don't listen to him, he tries to make you listen to him. I guess that's why I always thought he hated me. I was wrong, he just wanted me to be safe. He didn't want me doing things that he thought were beyond my abilities.”

“He didn't want you to get hurt, like he did?” suggested Firewing.

“Yeah, he and a friend of his were doing something I've probably done a hundred times, just racing through a forest. His friend collided with him. It was a fluke, an accident and they both crashed. His friend wasn't hurt but Mr. Immelmane was...well, you've seen him. The worst part...” Rainbow Dash choked up.

“It's okay Dashie, you don't have to tell us,” said Fluttershy.

“No, I think I should,” said Dash. She sniffed. “The worst part was that his friend blamed himself, even though Immelmane didn't, and he left Cloudsdale and never came back. No pony has seen him in years. The accident destroyed him. All they were doing was racing through a forest, they lost sight of each other and collided. Frost and I used to do that a lot.”

“Me too,” added Firewing.

“Now Immelmane is more sad for his friend than for himself.” Dash sighed. “So that's the story. No pony had better ever say anything about him while I'm around.”

“I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy. “I didn't know.”

“It's okay, Fluttershy. You heard the same stupid stories that I did when we were little fillies,” said Rainbow Dash sadly. “Immelmane kind of treats it like a joke. 'And so I pass into legend' he said. He even laughed. Then he hinted about the same thing happening to me; how my friends would tell stories about me long after I went out in a blaze of glory.”

“Oh, Dash I had no idea,” said Firewing. “He shouldn't have said that to you.”

Rainbow Dash hung her head. “Yes, he should have, because he's right. He also said that my friends would rather have me around and not just tell their stories of me.”

“We sure would,” said Applejack.

“I know what I do is dangerous but I'm not scared of what may happen to me. He made me understand that what happens to me effects the ponies I care about. That scares me a lot more.” Rainbow Dash looked up and saw that her friends had stopped eating and were looking at her with pained faces. She forced a smile. “Hey, who thought I'd be a party pooper! Come on! This is supposed to be a celebration.”

“Yeah, here,” Pinky Pie said as she nudged the cake in front of Rainbow Dash, “go ahead and cut the cake.”

“Uh, maybe Twilight or Rarity should do that,” suggested Dash. “Great job on the cake Pinky Pie, almost too pretty to eat.”

Rarity levitated the knife and cut the cake while Twilight placed the pieces on plates and passed them around.

“And no more talkin' shop, you winged critters,” said Applejack. “The rest of us don't know what the hay y'all are talkin' about.”

“Aw I wanted to discuss wind currents,” teased Firewing.

Rainbow dash laughed. “I'll have to agree with Applejack. That would put me to sleep. I don't know if this counts as talking shop, but Rarity, it looks like I'll be needing those flight suits from you after all.”

“You have to buy your own?” said the white pony in surprise. “I thought you said they would provide them.”

“They'll provide my Wonderbolt outfit but I'll need at least four outfits for my performances,” explained Dash. “I love this suit but I think I'll need something flashier for the shows.”

“Wonderful! How soon do you need them?” asked Rarity.

“I figure about a month for the first one,” answered Dash. “I won't need them all at once. I'll get a better idea when I talk to Immelmane on Wednesday. I should probably get something to practice in too. And something for cold weather.”

“Looks like I'm going to be busy,” said Rarity happily. “I've been working on some new designs. I think you'll like them.”

“I'm sure Fluttershy told you about the girls looking at the designs you sent with her,” said Firewing. “I wanted to place an order too.”

“Of course!” exclaimed Rarity. “I'd be happy to do it. Stop by my boutique tomorrow and we'll get to work. You must have done a good job, Fluttershy.”

“It was easy,” answered the yellow pegasus. “Every pony I showed your designs to seemed to like them.”

“Yeah Rarity,” said Dash, “I think you can expect some visits from my friends pretty soon. They liked the dress I got from you too.”

“Wow Rarity,” said Spike, “it looks like you really are going to be busy.”

“And rich too,” added Applejack.

“Imagine seeing your designs in the sky!” said Pinky Pie. “That is going to be cool, huh.”

“Oh my!” said Rarity. “If I get that much business I might have to hire some ponies to help me.”

“And don't forget, the shops in Cloudsdale want to see some samples,” said Fluttershy. “And..um I want to get a flight suit too. Something that's more me.”

“We won't be seein' Rarity for a while I reckon,” laughed Applejack. “Rainbow Dash, looks like you're not the only pony that had her dreams come true on account of the Wonderbolt tryouts.”

“And just wait until the contestants get home,” said Dash. “You'll be getting orders from Canterlot, Fillydelphia and Manehatten too.”

Rarity swallowed hard and smiled nervously. “H..how many seamstresses are there in Ponyville?”

They all laughed.

“Maybe you could sell the designs to the shops and get a commission for everything they sell,” suggested Twilight.

“That might work,” pondered the white unicorn. “I'll have to be sure I only let the best shops in each city do it. I might need your help again, Fluttershy. It will take a pegasus to go to all the towns.”

“Of course Rarity, I'd be glad to do that,” said Fluttershy.

Firewing followed this conversation with interest. “You all seem to work together well. In Manehatten, most of us hang around our own kind and don't really mix much.”

“Maybe you should,” said Rarity. “Of course each of our kind can do certain things better than others but if we didn't have each other Equestria wouldn't be nearly as nice a place to live.”

“Yeah, Applejack grows apples but I make sure the trees get rain and Pinky Pie bakes them into good stuff to eat,” said Rainbow Dash.

“And we unicorns make a lot of things easier with our magic,” added Twilight.

Firewing nodded. “It might be because in Manehatten the Pegasi live high up. I've gone weeks at a time without ever touching the ground. I guess the ground bound ponies mix a little more.”

“I don't think I'd like that,” said Fluttershy. “There's so many wonderful things on the ground. I'd miss them too much to ever live in the sky again.”

“You live on the ground?” asked Firewing in surprise.

“Oh yes,” answered Fluttershy. “I have a nice little cottage near the Everfree Forest. You must visit me sometime.”

“Amazing,” said Firewing. “The only place I've ever seen pegasi living on the ground is Canterlot but that whole place is up in the sky.”

“A lot of pegasi live in houses in Ponyville. I like it up there though,” said Dash as she pointed up.
“Speaking of the Ponyville pegasi, how has the weather team been while I was gone?”

“Good,” replied Twilight. “They might have been a little late on Tuesday clearing off some rain but that's about all.”

“Good, because I won't be doing that anymore,” said Dash. “I'll have to practice more than I used to and I'll be away several days a month, more if there's a show.”

“I guess they'll be paying you pretty good if you can afford to quit the weather team” said Applejack.

“Oh yeah, the pay is good,” said the blue pegasus, “and you can make even more with endorsements.”

“And all the free goodies too,” added Firewing. “Goggles, shampoo, hoof polish, food all kinds of stuff.”

“Is that why you wanted to be a Wonderbolt?” asked Pinky Pie. “So you can be rich?”

“No way!” said Rainbow Dash. “I did it so I can perform in front of huge crowds of fans! I want to show every pony flying like they've never seen.”

“Me too,” agreed Firewing. “I'm driven to perform. I couldn't stop if I wanted to.”

“That's right, Firewing,” said Dash with a nod. “Performing aerobatics is like breathing.”

“They both need air?” asked Pinky Pie, eliciting laughs and groans from her friends.

* * *
The party continued well into the evening. Most of the conversation centered on the events in Cloudsdale as the two groups pieced together what the others had been doing. At last Rainbow Dash and Firewing returned to Dash's house in the sky and the others went to their own homes. They agreed to meet for breakfast the next morning.

Author's Note:

Interesting coincidence regarding Rarity's comment about the Twilight-shopped photograph. I can see the future! lol

PreviousChapters Next