• Published 29th May 2013
  • 794 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 794

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47

Chapter 47
“That wasn't so bad, but I'm glad it's over,” said Firewing.

“Not so bad?” said Windy. “I thought it was pretty severe, not that she didn't deserve it.”

“I meant it wasn't so bad for us,” said Firewing.

“Oh, heh, yeah, that's true,” said Windy.

“Yeah, and they didn't do anything to Frost either,” said Rainbow Dash. “I was a little worried about that.”

“That was my first time in anything like this,” said Firewing. “I would like it to be the last too.”

“Me too,” said Starshine.

“My first time too, well, as a witness anyway,” said Dash.

Frost laughed. “As many of these as you've been through Dash, you could probably have conducted the inquiry.”

“Ha Ha,” said Dash sarcastically, “I was never in any trouble this bad. I used to crash into things; not ponies. Most of the stuff I was in trouble for was minor stuff; a couple of fights, racing where I wasn't supposed to, pranks, doing stunts that weren't allowed, messing around with the weather. Usual foal's stuff.”

“We didn't pay much attention to rules back then, did we?” laughed Frost. “Remember when I raced Sandy from the school to the aerodrome?”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Yeah, you took the short cut past the rainbow factory and clipped a storage tank. That was a mess!”

“Kinda pretty though,” said Frost. “I was lucky on that one.”

“I wasn't!” said Dash. “The guards grabbed me because they thought I had got the spilled rainbow on my mane and tail.”

Windy and Firewing laughed.

“So what happened to you?” asked Firewing.

“Me?” asked Frost. “Nothing, I got away. I shot down a side street and casually walked into a shop.”

“I was just cruising around and all of a sudden there were guards everywhere,” said Dash. “I hadn't done anything so I didn't try to run. They made me land and started questioning me, fortunately their sergeant came up then. He knew me and let me go. He thought it was funny.”

“How did he know you?” asked Windy.

“How do you think?” said Dash with a sly grin.

“With you as a role model, Frost,” said Immelmane, “it's no wonder she turned into a little hoodlum.”

“Oops,” said Frost, “I'd better remember to reminisce with Dash only in private.”

“It would be best, I think,” replied Immelmane. “Anyway, I would like you, Firewing and Rainbow Dash to join me for lunch. Afterward, we can go up to my office and I'll give you your materials so you can begin practicing on your own.”

The three ponies agreed and followed Immelmane to the dining hall. Windyday accompanied them, wishing to be with her friends as much as possible before they have to leave. Lunch was pleasant with most of the conversation about Firewing's new suit and discussions about flying. Immelmane was happy to hear that Rainbow Dash is getting her suits from the same designer.

“I love this outfit,” said Firewing. “I'm hoping that the other one is done when I get back.”

“I should ask Fluttershy to stop by,” said Dash. “She looks wonderful in her new one.”

“I'd like to see it too,” said Windy, “but I should be getting back to the training area soon. We're having a short day today as it is.”

“We might still be here when you get back,” said Dash. “Fluttershy is going around to the shops today trying to sell Rarity's designs.”

“Yes, you should get going,” said Immelmane. “Tell the team I'll be along soon. You three come with me.”

The three pegasi said their goodbyes to Windy and followed Immelmane to his office. On his table are three stacks of books and papers. Frost's and Firewing's are the same size while Rainbow Dash's stack is nearly double.

“Firewing, Frost your materials are in order,” said Immelmane. “As you study, start at the beginning and continue through in order. Each move builds on the next. The first routine is the basis for all the others. There are key points throughout the routine where variations are inserted to keep the shows different and fresh.

Rainbow Dash, you have the same materials as well as the exercises I want you to work on. I want you to work on your individual act first. There are three different individual routines. Concentrate on the first one for the next week. These are all very basic routines and you are going to think they're boring. I know that. They are only a guide line for what will become your real act. I also want you to take this.”

Immelmane got a book from a shelf. “It is a book on basic sky dancing. I want you to work on some of this too. There are two complete dances in it.”

“I used that book when I was little! It's one of the first things I learned,” said Firewing.

“Sky dancing? Why do you have to learn that?” asked Frost.

Immelmane sighed. “That's right, you never learned any either.”

“No, never had time for it,” said Frost. “I was more interested in racing and stunts.”

Immelmane got another copy of the book and gave it to Frost. “Make time. I might point out that both Windy and Firewing are sky dancers and they beat you in the try outs.”

Rainbow Dash snickered. Immelmane continued, “And by your own admission, Rainbow Dash, you wouldn't have made it through the try outs without the help of Firewing, a sky dancer.”

“You don't have to sell me on it,” said Dash. “Like I said, Firewing and I were talking about it already. I want to learn some sky dancing. I know I can't fly flat out for fifteen or twenty minutes. I need something slower so I can catch my breath.”

“Good, I'm glad to hear it,” said Immelmane. “I also want you to write in a list of tricks you can perform. Write down the part of the routine and then the trick, more routine and then the trick. Do the same thing with some of the moves from the sky dance book. When you come to see me next Saturday, I'll help you refine it and pick out some music. You'll need to work hard. We only have a month and a few days until your first show.”

“That isn't a lot of time to come up with two routines,” said Dash. “I was hoping for a day or two off before starting on the real work but I guess I'll start tomorrow.”

Immelmane smiled and put his hoof on Dash's shoulder. “I'm glad that you're taking this seriously but go ahead and take it easy for a few days. Just go over the materials and do a little light work for a couple of hours. I suggest flying in Friday night so you can get a good night's rest before we start in the morning. Don't worry, I'm sure we can get you ready in time. We should have both routines sorted out by your second week and you can spend the rest of the time practicing. I'd like you here for the whole week before your first show. I'll spend as much time with you as I can spare. I'll have Firewing and Frost to work with by then as well.”

“I hope I have more than a week to get ready for the show,” said Firewing.

“You won't be in the show when Rainbow Dash opens,” said Immelmane. “That show will be Silversheen's final performance; her farewell show.”

“Why is she leaving? Asked Frost.

“She's getting married,” said Immelmane. “She's also been a Wonderbolt for over eight years and she was older than you when she started. That is a good career in this business.”

“Daddy was a Wonderbolt for six years at least,” said Firewing. “Maybe he didn't cut his stay as short as I thought.”

“He was a great flier,” said Immelmane as he remembered. “He had a few good years left when he retired. I suppose it was time for him to move on. It turned out well for him; a lovely wife and a daughter that's as good a flier as he was. Not a bad trade off if you ask me.”

“I'm flattered,” said Firewing, “but I always thought that mom made him quit because of the danger.”

“I'm sure that weighed on his mind,” said Immelmane, “especially after you were born. I'm sorry to say that the danger is real. About half of all Wonderbolts retire due to injury. Fortunately most of the injuries are of the nagging variety but they add up. It's a short but glorious career.”

“Well I hope mine lasts a long time,” said Dash. “I can't imagine not stunt flying.”

“I'll do my best to make sure it does,” said Immelmane. “You can help by telling me about your close call.”

Reluctantly, Rainbow Dash told the story of the nearly disastrous performance of the previous day. Firewing added in what she saw and felt while flying. Immelmane asked a few seemly meaningless questions: 'Did they notice any birds? Were there patterns in the grass? Which way were the trees bending? How warm was it?' It made little sense to the three young fliers. Unfortunately, Firewing and Rainbow Dash could provide little information as they simply had not noticed.

“You two don't read the air very well at all,” said Immelmane. “I'm not surprised. I wasn't very good at it until it was forced on me by my condition. It can take years to really get good at it.”

“I wonder if there's a unicorn that can sense it or has a spell?” said Dash.

“You're thinking about Twilight aren't you?” said Firewing.

“Twilight?” said Frost. “What are you talking about?”

“Twilight Sparkle,” said Dash. “She's a friend of mine. She probably knows more magic than any pony in Equestria, except for the Princesses. I'll ask her when I get home.”

“I've never heard of any pony with that talent,” said Immelmane. “It would take a powerful unicorn to sense the subtle changes in the air.”

“She's powerful alright,” said Dash. “Princess Celestia taught her a lot.”

“Princess Celestia herself taught her?” said Frost. “If she's that talented, what's she doing in Ponyville? No offense.”

“Sorry Frost, I can't tell you that,” said Dash. “It's important that she's there, that's all I can say.”

“Interesting,” said Immelmane. “I won't ask any more now. Investigate if you want to Rainbow Dash. I'll work a little with you as we have time but for now I want you to concentrate on developing your routines. Firewing, can you come back a few days early?”

“Sure, I don't see why not,” replied Firewing. “I was going to go to Ponyville and spend a few days with Rainbow Dash anyway. I have another flight suit to pick up.”

Immelmane thought for a moment. “Good. Rainbow Dash, can you make arrangements for Firewing and Frost to stay in Ponyville for a few days before they are to report here for training?”

“Sure, they can stay at my place,” said Dash. “I have plenty of room.”

“Fine, you two go to Ponyville the Tuesday before you are to report here,” said Immelmane. “The three of you will work on sky dancing and then fly here together with Rainbow Dash the next week. You can work together on the team routines that week and perhaps help analyze Rainbow Dash's act. I'll be working with the team, with Rainbow Dash and also I'll be getting you two started so I'll be very busy that week and I'll need your help. Rainbow Dash, when you are resting, I want you to watch these two work on their skills and help them.”

“I thought I was going to start my training sooner,” said Frost.

“You are,” replied Immelmane, “but you'll mostly be working solo for a while or following along as the team practices. Windy is doing very well and should be ready in about another week. I'll contact you when we want you to start. Very convenient having you here in Cloudsdale already.”

“How long will I have before my first show?” said Firewing.

“There is a three week gap between the next two shows,” said Immelmane. “We have a fly by for an affair at Canterlot but you could do that in your sleep. I'd like Rainbow Dash to be able to do a short routine there also but we'll have to wait and see if we can.”

“I'll be ready,” said Dash.

“That's not the issue,” said Immelmane. “There might not be time to fit you into the program. It's a formal gathering for Princess Luna. Princess Celestia wants to get her sister back into the daily life of the court and this will be a sort of 'coming out' party. Lots of officials and dignitaries will be there.”

“Princess Luna? I'd be nervous at that show!” said Frost.

“I wouldn't want to mess up, that's for sure,” said Firewing.

“Luna's alright,” said Dash. “Don't think of her as Nightmare Moon. She's not like that anymore. She's really pretty nice, just a little confused.”

“You know her too?” said Frost in surprise. “Next thing you're going to tell us you're dating Prince Blue Blood.”

“No way!” said Dash. “Rarity told me about him, he's a jerk.”

Immelmane laughed. “It seems you've been flying in the higher circles of society, Rainbow Dash. That could be advantageous.”

“What do you mean?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Well, what if one of the Princesses were to hear that you would like to perform at the celebration?” asked Immelmane.

“I get it,” said Dash. “I don't know if I'd feel right about asking them to let me perform.”

“Why not?” asked Frost. “Any pony would like to see you fly.”

“Yeah Dash, give them a treat,” said Firewing.

“I hadn't thought about it like that,” said Dash with a smile. “I'll talk to Twilight when I get home and see what she thinks.”

“Let me know how it works out,” said Immelmane. “Your friends are right; the ponies at the celebration would enjoy seeing you fly.”

Rainbow Dash smiled, “Okay, I'll do it. I'm supposed to write a letter to Princess Celestia anyway. I'll just mention that I'm looking forward to performing for her and her sister. If they want to see me, that should do it.”

“Pack up your materials and we'll go out to the training area for a while,” said Immelmane. “It will be good to let you see some of what you're in for. You can leave your bags at the front desk.”

PreviousChapters Next