• Published 29th May 2013
  • 795 Views, 35 Comments

The Winning Failure - marley



An alternate take on Rainbow Dash trying out for the Wonderbolts. Dash faces stiff competition, an old nemisis and makes new friends during a week long test. It's a journey of discovery as she faces many decisions and has to examine what she rea

  • ...
2
 35
 795

PreviousChapters Next
chapter 22

Chapter 22

Fluttershy watched the show from her usual table at the cafe. Weather joined her as he had the night off.

“Wow!” exclaimed Fluttershy, “that was really a show tonight. I wish I could fly like that!”

“Me too,” said Weather, “but you must have picked up a little bit having Rainbow Dash around all the time.”

“Not really,” said Fluttershy, “she tries but I'm just not cut out to be a daredevil like her.”

“Just one more day and we'll know who won,” said Weather. “This is really getting exciting. I wish I was off tomorrow but at least I have the day shift so I can snoop around after work. Maybe I can find out for sure who won.”

“They won't be announcing the winner tomorrow?” asked Fluttershy.

“No,” said Weathervane, “the official announcement won't be until Saturday night at the big party in the winners honor. I wish I could go to that.”

“I'm not much for big parties,” said Fluttershy, “but I would like to get into that one. I guess you haven't heard anything new since yesterday about how the contest is going.”

“No, I think it's all mostly rumors now...or wishful thinking,” said Weathervane.

“I guess I'll just keep busy tomorrow trying to show Rarity's designs,” said Fluttershy. “I'm glad I'll have something to do. This is starting to get to me.”

Weather looked at her, moved by the look in her eyes. “Um, yeah I can see that. Why don't you show me some of those designs?”

“Alright,” said Fluttershy. “Some of them are for guys so I'd like to hear your opinion.” She got out the designs and went through them with Weather.

Sometime later, Fluttershy and Weather were still talking in the cafe and looking at Rarity's designs when Razor, Sunrise Cloud, Sweet Clover, Goldmane and Starshine entered the cafe. There were a few ponies trailing them and when they entered they were instantly surrounded by new found fans. They asked for hoof prints and for pictures.

Eventually the management stepped in and got the contestants some seats. Their table was next to Fluttershy and Weather. Weather was thrilled to be surrounded by so many fillies. Fluttershy was not thrilled and was afraid of being found out. She was trying to think of a way to get past the group when Starshine noticed the design that Weather was holding. It was very similar to the one worn by Rainbow Dash.

“Excuse me,” she asked, “where did you get that flight suit design?”

“Oh, ah, this is a Rarity design,” said Weather, “This is a representative of hers.”

Fluttershy was appalled but tried to maintain her composure.

“I thought so!” said Starshine. “It looks a lot like the one Rainbow Dash wears. Where can I order one?”

“Look girls, it's that cool flight suit that Dash wears,” said Razor. “Does Rarity do other designs?”

“Where's her shop?” said Goldy.

“Let me see!” said Sweet Clover.

“I need a new one, mine got torn,” said Sunrise Cloud.

Before long Fluttershy found herself giving a presentation to the contestants. There is no way to cover the fact that she was from Ponyville.

“If you're from Ponyville,” said Goldy, “you must know Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh! Um, yes, we've met,” said Fluttershy.

“Did you sell Dash her suit?” asked Starshine.

“No, Rarity and Rainbow Dash are good friends,” said Fluttershy as she grew more nervous. “Rarity dropped everything and did her suit right away. She's just starting to go into this line of clothing and I'm here doing some research. You know, to see what pegasi are looking for in flight suits.”

“A handsome colt!” said Razor, getting a laugh from the others.

“Why don't you get this cutie to model for us?” asked Sweet Clover, pointing to Weather.

“Me?!” said Weathervane.

“I'm sorry,” said Fluttershy, “I don't have any actual samples except the one I'm wearing.”

“Anyway, I'm just talking to Fluttershy,” said Weather. “I'm not in this business.”

“I know,” replied Sweet Clover. “You're a waiter here. I've seen you before.”

“I'm Weathervane. And you are...?”

“Sweet Clover. I'm one of the unfortunate ones that got cut.”

“I'm sorry,” said Weather, “but I saw you, all of you, perform tonight. Great show. The ones that are left must be really good.”

“Oh they are,” said Razor. “of course I couldn't even beat Frost. I think the only reason they invited the rest of us Cloudsdale ponies was that they knew we were good formation fliers.”

“Yeah, that Rainbow Dash is something else but I'll have to go with Firewing,” said Goldy.

“Wait until you see the individuals tomorrow. Rainbow Dash has a move she hasn't shown you yet,” said Starshine.

“No, Firewing has the moves,” insisted Goldmane. “She is so smooth.”

“Rainbow Dash is the best flier,” said Razor, “but Windy and Firewing are just technically perfect.”

“So you all have your favorites but don't really know who's going to win?” asked Weather.

“Even if we did we wouldn't tell,” said Razor. “But no, we really don't know anymore than you do.”

“Hey look! There's three of the ponies still in the running,” said Sunrise Cloud.

Fluttershy saw Rainbow Dash and panicked. “I just remembered an appointment. Weather, be a dear and gather up Rarity's designs, I'll pick them up in the morning. Here's some money, take care of the check. Bye, everypony, nice meeting you.” Fluttershy flew off.

“Well that was rude,” said Razor.

Starshine called to the new arrivals. “Rainbow Dash! Firewing! Windy! Over here!”

Weather went around picking up the designs. “I'll make some room for your friends.” Weather pushed his table next to theirs and beat a retreat.

The three contenders had even more trouble getting through the cafe than the others. Rainbow Dash loved it, Firewing was confused but happy and Windy thought it silly. Again the management stepped in and showed the three ponies to the table by their friends.

“Hi girls,” said Windy, “was that weird or what?”

“I know!” said Razor. “They did the same thing to us and we've been eliminated!”

“Imagine what the Wonderbolts have to go through,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah, no wonder they have their own compound,” said Firewing.

“Hey Dash, you just missed a pony from your town,” said Starshine.

“Oh really?” Rainbow Dash was instantly suspicious.

“Yeah, she was a representative for the pony that made your suit,” said Starshine.

“Let me guess,” said Rainbow Dash. “Yellow coat, pink mane and tail, goes by the name of Fluttershy?”

“That's right!” said Starshine, “I guess you know her.”

Rainbow Dash was laughing almost too hard to answer. “Oh yeah, I know her! Ha Ha My friends are trying to find out how I'm doing. They must have got poor Fluttershy to spy on me.”

“I'd think you'd be glad they care enough to check up on you,” said Firewing.

“I am,” said Rainbow Dash. “but you don't know them like I do. Poor Fluttershy! I know she didn't volunteer to do this. Was she wearing that black flight suit?”

“Yes, why?” said Razor.

“Bawwhahahahaha oh that is too much,” Dash laughed. “Fluttershy in a ...ha ha..black... flight hahaha suit.”

“I don't get it,” said Windy.

“Fluttershy is the kindest, gentlest, nicest pony you'll ever meet,” said Rainbow Dash when she recovered. “She takes care of all the animals around Ponyville. She's very timid and shy. She isn't a very good flier and has never needed a flight suit. And she would never wear black by choice. I don't know how the others got her to do this but it is just too funny. Flutterspy! Hahahaha”

“I don't know why they would do it,” said Windy. “If they wanted to know what was going on, Fluttershy could have just come here and watched and asked around openly. Every other pony is anyway.”

“They probably didn't want me to worry,” said Rainbow Dash, getting the better of her mirth. “They want me to be able to concentrate on the competition without thinking about them. They should know I think about them every day.” Her tone was now a little sad.

“So how do you concentrate?” asked Windy.

“Hey, when I'm flying,” said Rainbow Dash, “that's all I'm thinking about.”

“Sounds like you have some good friends in Ponyville,” said Windy.

“Yes..yes, I do,” said Rainbow Dash. “I'm going to miss them when I move back to Cloudsdale.”

“You still have to beat me to do that,” said Windy with a smile.

“And me!” added Firewing, “We're not just going to just let you fly away with this you know.”

“We'll see,” said Rainbow Dash with a laugh. “I'll leave it up to the judges. I don't know how you feel but this has been a great week. I hope we stay friends and stay in touch after this is over, no matter who wins.”

They all agreed to that.

“Here's a design that Weather missed when he took off. You can take it back to your friend,” said Sweet Clover, hoofing one of Rarity's drawings to Dash.

“Oh this is great,” said Dash, thinking to use it to tease Rarity but then she looked at it and realized how good the design was. “Wow, this is great! Windy, Firewing, look at this.”

“Nice, oh, I like that,” said Windy.

“You're right,” said Firewing, “what an original design. She's as good at this as she is dresses.”

The rest of the ponies sat up. “She makes dresses too?”

“Wait until you see Rainbow Dash at the party on Saturday,” said Firewing.

“If you do end up in Ponyville after the contest I think you'll be see us there clothes shopping, Rainbow Dash,” said Razor.

PreviousChapters Next