• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,416 Views, 315 Comments

Bionicle: The Darkness Within - FenrisianBrony



The Toa Metru team, led by Toa Vakama, pursue the Makuta to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 315
 3,416

Same Song and Dance

Vakama awoke with a start, and instantly was alert, knowing something was deeply wrong. For starters, he was in the dark. Not like the nights back home, or even the catacombs that his brothers had been imprisoned in when the Makuta had captured them, this was total, inescapable, heavy, blackness.

The second thing he noticed, was he was on his back, his arms and legs secured by something, and when he tried to move them, he heard a rattling of chains. He could move his limbs a tiny bit, before his bonds snapped taut and he could move them no more.

He thought back to the final things he remembered before waking up. He remembered the ponies appearing literally out of the shadows, and he remembered the Rahkshi appearing to lead them. Then he got snippets of fighting free of the temple, before throwing Rainbow out of the temple, as…

“TWILIGHT!” He yelled, straining against the chains as he remembered the purple mare had stayed with him.

He was met with nothing but the echo of his own voice, as it reverberated off of the walls.

Vakama roared once more, straining against the chains that bound him, attempting to rip them apart so he could save twilight.

He had promised to keep her safe, and he had failed.

She put her trust in him, and he had let her down.

“Poor Vakama.” A deep voice rumbled, sending a shiver across Vakamas body. He knew that voice.

“Makuta!” He shouted, looking around for his foe.

He had no luck though, as the room was completely dark. He did feel something moving behind him though, and he attempted to look at it, craning his neck to see what it was. He was met with little success, and turned his head back.

He jumped back, as much as he could do anyway, in surprise, as directly in front of him, were a pair of large, red eyes.

“So afraid, little Toa.” The voice said again, and Vakama instantly knew that Makuta was standing right in front of him.

“Let me go.” He demanded, straining against the chains.

“But you have only just got here.” The Makuta said, “Surely you would not be rude enough to refuse my hospitality. And after my son went to such lengths to find you and your brothers.”

“The only thing I desire from you Makuta is that you leave this land, and for you to go back to your Protodermis cage.” Vakama snarled.

“Ah yes. The Protodermis. You and Roodaka were so kind to free me from my prison.” Even in the darkness, Vakama thought he could see the smile spread across Makutas face.

“You don’t scare me anymore Makuta. I defeated you once before, and my brothers and sister will be able to do it again.”

“Only time will tell Vakama.” Makuta growled. “Just as the mask of time would have saved the Matoran years of slumber.”

“You didn’t deserve its power.”

“What do you think of Equestria Vakama?” Makuta asked, changing the subject suddenly, and catching Vakama off guard. “An amazing place, is it not? It exists outside our own universe, occupying a pocket dimension if you will.”

“It would be better off without you in it Makuta.”

“Come now Toa, must you always snap at everything I say?” The Makuta laughed, the deep sound reverberating around the room. “We all have a part to play in the universe, even in others that we can touch. Our destiny goes further than you can ever imagine. My duty is to the shadows. Yours is to the three virtues and the Matoran.”

“You came here before, didn’t you?” Vakama asked.

“When the Dark Hunters invaded Metru Nui.” Makuta nodded. “I had watched from the shadows with my own brothers as Lhikan fought them, but I found something much more interesting. You found it to, following me. A pool of energised Protodermis, lying atop the great sea of Protodermis. This acted as a portal, and I found myself here. This land Vakama, you have no idea how much I learnt from here. I watched as Ponykind evolved under Discords reign, and watched as his reign of chaos, so similar to my own shadows, failed to hold.”

“I am not interested in your lessons Makuta.”

“Oh, but they are so relevant even now. Corrupting the inhabitants of this land was so easy, especially their princess, but while the other was in power, I could not act against the light openly.”

“So you started a war?” Vakama shouted. “Thousands died, Celestia lost her sister.”

“You are wrong again Toa. Millions died. Ponykind was almost wiped out. All it took was a few choice words, some of my own influence, and some things I had learnt from the brotherhood, was all it took to bring this world to its knees. Just imagine Vakama. Metru Nui, united under one ruler, taking entire without the death of a single Toa or Matoran, is this not better for our race?”

“Innocents would still be killed.” Vakama insisted. “Stop trying to justify what you did here, it will always be wrong. I won’t be swayed to your views.”

“No? You have fallen once. What makes you so sure that you will not fall again?” Makuta asked.

“I won’t betray my friends and siblings again.” Vakama affirmed.

“Well then, perhaps another part of another team will be able to be persuaded.” Makuta smiled.

As he said that, a door slid open behind Vakama, and the room was instantly bathed in a dull light, revealing the Makuta, in all his dark glory, standing straight in front of Vakama.

Slowly, another Rahkshi appeared, walking around Vakama, and standing next to the Makuta. This one was not brown like the one in the temple, but was instead a bright green colour.

“Lerahk.” Makuta smiled, patting the creature on the head, like a father would pat a child. “Panrahk, bring in our guest.”

As the words left his mouth, Vakama heard heavy footfalls behind him, followed by four hoofstep sounds. He cried out as he saw the same Rahkshi from before, holding a short chain. The chain itself was attached to a collar, which was wrapped around Twilights neck.

Twilight looked terrified, a bruise plastering most of her face, and a large ring attached directly to her horn. She looked at Vakama, and tried to say something, but the collar raised up over her mouth and prevented her from talking.

Kneeling down, the Rahkshi attached the chain to the floor, forcing twilight to kneel down. With a flick of its wrist, the gag was removed, and Twilight sucked in a large breath, before turning to Vakama.

“Vakama? Where are we? What happened?” She said, tears forming in her eyes.

“Yes Vakama, tell her what happened.” The Makuta smiled, walking around the pair. “Tell her how you failed her, how you allowed her to be captured when you swore to keep her safe. You may pretend to be a Toa, but even after all this time, you are still just a mask making Matoran.”

“Don’t listen to him Vakama.” Twilight shouted, even as the Makuta bent down towards her.

“Ah, little Twilight Sparkle. The element of Magic. The last time I was here, Celestia still held that trinket.” He mused, “Those trinkets stopped me once before, but how much use will they be if the lynch pin is indisposed?”

“Lay one hand on her and I’ll…” Vakama snarled.

“That’s it Vakama. Let the hatred out.” He smiled.

“Vakama, stop.” Twilight shouted. “It’s what he wants.”

Nodding, Vakama shut his mouth, forcing himself to not say another word to the Makuta.

“A pity you would not see my way willingly.” The Makuta said, gesturing to someone behind Vakama. “Would you like to meet the rest of my sons?” He asked.

As he said this, four more Rahkshi came into view. The six creatures stood together, and Vakama saw that they shared the exact same colours as the Toa.

“Kurahk. Anger.” He said, indicating the white one. “Panrahk. Fragmentation.” The brown one from before. “Guurahk. Disintegration.” Blue. “Turahk. Fear.” Red. “Vorahk. Hunger.” Black. “And Lerahk. Poison.” He said, indicating the green Rahkshi. “Together, they are more than a match for the Toa, but alone, they can be defeated. Now imagine, my sons, led by Toa. My rule would be absolute.”

“Never.” Vakama spat.

“So be it.” Makuta said, before nodding to Kurahk.

Instantly, the white Rahkshi placed his staff on Vakamas chest, before channelling energy through it.

“Anger will bend you to my will.” The Makuta said, even as Vakama screamed.

“Fear will keep you in line.” He continued, as Turahk repeated the movement that Kurahk had done.

“Fragmentation will turn you on your friends.” Panrahk stepped up and completed his part in the plan.

“Hunger will sap your will to fight my rule.”

“Disintegration will tear down what you have worked so hard on to create.”

“Poison will shape your very body into what I desire.” The Makuta growled, as Lerahk removed his spear.

Twilight looked over, desperately trying to see the Toa, but her view was blocked by the Rahkshi. As they moved out of the room, Twilight desperately looked around for the Toa, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Where’s Vakama!” She screamed.

“He is with my sons.” Makuta smiled. “Sweet Twilight. Always fighting for your friends. But how many times have you had to save them? They betrayed you when you needed the most.”

“That was Discord!” She shouted back.

“Ah yes, the god of chaos in your realm. Would you like to know something about his powers Twilight?” Not waiting for a reply, he opened his mouth again. “He cannot control emotions. He only brings out what has been supressed by the creature, not inverts it. Those of strong enough will can resist his touch. Celestia did. Luna did. You and your friends did not. You were weak, and you allowed him into your mind.”

“You’re lying!” She shouted, but something about his words resonated inside her head.

“Am I Twilight?” The Makuta asked with a small smile. “Think about your recent encounter with Discord. He could have turned your personalities around and escaped at any time, but he didn’t. Why?”

“Because Celestia protected us.” Twilight shot back.

“Oh? And why did she not do this the first time? If it were so easy, why not place the spell on those who would face it. No, you fell the first time due to weakness.”

“Then why didn’t he change us this time?” Twilight shot back.

“Discord never liked playing with used toys.” The Makuta smiled.

“You’re lying!” Twilight screamed.

“No.” he smiled. “Now you must make a choice. Join me, or stand as Vakama stood.”

“I’ll never betray Equestria.” Twilight said firmly.

“I offer you a choice then.” The Makuta said. “One final time. Join me, and serve me willingly, or follow Vakama, and be forced to submit, trapping you within your own mind, forced to watch was you lead my forces.”

“Never.” Twilight shouted.

“So rash.” The Makuta said, his voice sounding almost sad. “Lerahk.”

The Rahkshi appeared in the doorway, blocking out the light, as it brandished its staff. Twilight shuddered in fear as it came towards her, the door sliding shut, and plunging her world into darkness.