• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,423 Views, 315 Comments

Bionicle: The Darkness Within - FenrisianBrony



The Toa Metru team, led by Toa Vakama, pursue the Makuta to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 315
 3,423

Ending the 1000 Year War

The army marched across the darkened room at the bottom of the stairs, the only sounds being the perfect footfalls of the Minotaur armies, as their cloven hooves struck the ground in unison, and the squelch as foot met corpse. No matter how disgusting the act was, Celestia did not break from her stride, making sure to keep beside the Toa and Skrall. Even Rarity wasn’t complaining out loud, managing to grasp the gravity of the situation, and deciding her complaints would simply annoy the soldiers she was surrounded by.

Onwards they marched, until they neared the final, sealed door, which lay at the end of the chamber.

“HALT!” Skrall yelled, and the Minotaur’s slammed their feet together.

“Here we are then.” Vakama murmured.

“Is he in there?” Celestia asked cautiously.

“I’m not sure. After the change, Twilight and I were kept in this room. The Rahkshi were somewhere else, but I don’t know where that somewhere else was.” Vakama replied.

“But you believe he is?” Skrall asked.

“Regardless of if he is in there or not, we’ve got to search it anyway. No Shadow Ponies are escaping tonight.” Celestia said, drawing a thin rapier from its scabbard on her back, her horn casting long shadows across the room.

“Are we opening it then?” Whenua asked, twirling his own weapons.

“It didn’t budge when the Griffon’s tried to open it by force, and they tried with hundreds at once.” Skrall informed.

“Maybe it’s a matter of Magic over might.” Celestia said, and her horn flared into life again.

The door was briefly surrounded by a golden light, and Celestia allowed herself a slight smile, as she demonstrated once more than brute strength was nothing when compared with the power of her magic. That was until the glow faltered, flickering for a second, before blinking out of existence. The door hadn’t moved an inch.

“What?” Celestia asked, looking up at her horn in confusion.

“Maybe this is something beyond our world.” Skrall said, before turning to face the Toa.

“Perhaps.” Whenua said, looking over the door. “Onewa. Ever seen this craft work? It’s not rock, that’s for sure.”

“It’s Protosteel.” Vakama said simply, looking over the door. “The strongest metal in the known world.”

“That presents a problem.” Nokama nodded. “Since it appears too heavy to move through might, and impervious to even the most powerful magic’s.”

“A problem for some.” Vakama nodded, before reaching behind him. “I can work the stuff.”

Drawing his disk launcher from behind him, and placing a disk into it.

“You sure that will get through?” Nuju asked.

“It’s the strongest I have.” Vakama said, taking a knee, and taking aim. “Kanoka code, 1-3-8. Strength, weaken, and the highest power level I could make.”

“Where did you get it?” Matau asked.

“Made it. Combined it with others.” Vakama said simply, before firing.

The disk flew through the air, trailing a faint red line behind it, before it impacted with the door. The effect was instantaneous, and a blinding flash momentarily blinded everyone in the room. When it cleared, the door had almost completely crumbled to the floor, the disk having weakened it to the point where the hinges could no longer support the heavy metal.

“Knock-knock.” Matau grinned soberly, before taking a step into the unknown.

The army advanced forwards after the Toa, heading down as the path they were on continued to slope deeper into the fabric of the earth.

“How far down do you think these tunnels go?” one of the Sunlight Wardens asked, looking at Celestia.

“Too far into my country.” Celestia replied.

“Looks like there’s something up ahead.” Shining Armour said, pointing forward.

The room in question was small when compared with the chamber they had just come from, and relatively well lit as well. Slowly, the six Toa advanced into the room, while Celestia and Skrall stood vigilant by the door, the element bearers and the Minotaur army standing silent behind them.

“MAKUTA!” Vakama roared, spinning and looking around the room.

“He’s here?!” Nokama asked, readying her own weapons.

“He was.” Vakama growled. “This was where Twilight and I were brought when we were captured.”

“Well done Vakama.” A deep, ominous voice echoed, instantly setting the teeth of the Minotaur’s and ponies on edge. “I wondered how long it would take you to figure it out.”

“Show yourself!” Nokama shouted.

“But there is so much to say.” Makuta said darkly. “How is young Twilight? She is not with the other element bearers, and another is in her place.”

“You’ll pay for what you did to her!” Celestia roared.

“I’ll bucking kill you!” Shining Armour roared at the same time, trying to push past Skrall, but being held back by the imposing figure.

“Brother?” Makuta laughed. “You must be Shining Armour. Now the element of magic? Is Twilight dead then? Did you kill her, save her from me?”

“She’s stronger than you could ever hope to be Makuta.” Rainbow growled, but held her ground with the rest of the army.

“Stronger? If she is stronger than I, then she would not have fallen before one of my sons.” Makuta said, his voice booming around the room. “Now, I believe it is time we are all properly introduced.”

As he said that, an ominous creaking was heard, and a door swung open across the room, revealing nothing but a black mist, which swirled just within the door. Slowly, a green hand reached out, grabbing the door frame, and pulling, dragging itself out, and revealing itself, followed quickly by five other identical figures.

While the Toa and the five original elements of harmony had already seen a Rahkshi, and knew what they looked like, everybody else present was taken aback at the things that walked towards them.

That wasn’t all that exited the door, as a large foot crashed down, followed quickly by a tall, dark creature. It was a hulking creature, sharing similarities with the Toa, but being large, and more ominous in appearance. Two dark red wings protruded from its back, and seemed to pulse slightly, almost as if they had a life of their own.

“Welcome Toa.” The Makuta growled, before the Rahkshi screeched and charged forward.

“Nuju!” Celestia shouted, as the Toa was knocked from his feet, and the white Alicorn began to move forward, only to be cut off by a bright red wall of light.

“Ah ah ah Celestia.” The Makuta warned. “This is not for you to intervene in.”

“Girls! The elements!” Celestia shouted quickly.

Nodding, the five girls, and an extremely angry stallion, rose into the air, launching the rainbow beam from their elements at the shield.

The shield didn’t even so much as flicker as the energy dispersed over it, drawing only laughs from the Makuta, even as the Toa fought their own, individual battles with the Rahkshi.

“You failed Celestia.” The Makuta laughed. “The element represent harmony, in all forms. My sons and I are in perfect balance, to counteract your little trinkets.”

“Keep trying!” Roared Celestia, gathering energy into her horn, and unleashing the full power of the sun in a tiny lance towards the shield, still failing to penetrate. All Celestia could do was watch through the hazy shield, as the Toa fought for the future of the country. Whoever won, would decide the fate of the world.

***

“Nuju!” Nokama roared, as the blue Rahkshi smashed into him, knocking him back, before swinging his staff at the disorientated Toa.

The Toa only just managed to bring his weapons up in time to block the strike, before he pushed himself away, firing a stream of ice at the Rahkshi, but the creature simply raised its glowing staff, and the ice crumbled before it hit it. Instantly, the Rahkshi was on the Toa, forcing Nuju back onto the defensive.

Elsewhere, Onewa and Whenua fended off an attack from two Rahkshi, Onewa narrowly avoiding a beam from the staff of the red one, before swinging his weapon up to intercept the downwards stroke of the second creature as it arced towards Whenua. A moment later, a spear of earth rocked upwards, propelling the first Rahkshi across the room. It was instantly on its feet, and ran back to help its brother.

“Nokama. Matau. Can you handle three?” Vakama asked, ducking under the staff of one Rahkshi, before spinning and kicking a second, narrowly avoiding the staff of the third. One good thing had come from the Makutas corruption, and now Vakama put the skills to use.

“For a minute. Perhaps more.” Nokama shouted.

“Don’t do anything stupid smelt-head.” Matau grunted, fending off the green Rahkshi.

“That’s exactly what I intend to do.” Vakama roared with laughter, before barrelling past Matau, and charging straight for the amused looking Makuta.

“Brash Vakama.” Makuta crowed, before swinging his massive weapon at the Toa.

“You will fall Makuta.” Vakama growled, grabbing hold of the weapons handle with one hand, and using it as a fulcrum to spin himself around, delivering a bone shattering kick into the Makuta’s face, before flipping backwards, and firing a quick shot from his disk launcher at the black Rahkshi threatening Nokama and Matau, knocking it off balance, and allowing Matau to bring his own powers to bear.

Makuta roared, and brought his hand whistling round, swatting Vakama, and sending him through the air, only to impact with one of the pillars and push himself off again, flying back towards the Makuta.

“Vakama!” Matau shouted, before he unleashed a torrent of air, which formed into a Tornado.

Spinning, Vakama extended a hand and shot out a gout of fire, transforming the air into a spinning vortex of fire, which swept up the blue Rahkshi. Continuing in his spin, Vakama brought his other hand round, smashing the back of it into the Makuta.

“Surrender Toa!” Makuta roared, leaping backwards, and swiping out with his weapon.

“Fire never surrenders!” Vakama roared, rolling with the strike, before landing on the ground and hauling back on the weapon, ripping it from the Makuta’s grasp. “Fire burns all!”

Letting his words become a roar, Vakama unleashed a second gout of flame, straight at the Makuta. The flames impacted with his chest, driving him to his knees, before Vakama was thrown from his feet, the ground rupturing beneath him.

“Not this time.” Nuju said, before pressing his weapon into the back of the offending brown Rahkshi. The Rahkshi was caught unaware from the sudden attack, and instantly was covered in a sheet of ice.

“Nice work.” Nokama commended, before running forward, jumping into the air and receiving a boost from an airborne Matau, who flung his sister towards three of the remaining Rahkshi.

Nokama let out a gout of water as she flew forwards, causing the Rahkshi to slip over, even as Nokama landed in their midst.

“Sister.” Whenua called, and instantly, the water became mud, slowing the Rahkshi as the viscous fluid stuck to them.

“Hello.” Nuju smiled, leaping over to pull his sister out, before placing his foot on the mud, freezing it, and the three Rahkshi within, solid.

Even as Vakama duelled with the Makuta, matching him blow for blow with a ferocity that none of the other Toa had ever seen him display, the final Rahkshi advanced towards the remaining Toa, standing over its fallen and frozen brethren.

“Lerahk.” It hissed, brandishing its staff.

“I don’t care for your name.” Onewa snarled, diving forward, and spinning his weapon around, smashing it into the green Rahkshis face. The creature roared in pain as Nokama stepped up beside her brother, blasting the Rahkshi with a burst of water, knocking it to the ground on top of its unconscious brothers.

“Rock and roll.” Onewa growled, using both hands and striking the floor.

Instantly, pillars of rock erupted from the ground, converging over the heads of the Rahkshi, and sealing them within its tomb like structure.

Turning, the five Toa looked towards Vakama and Makuta, who were still striking each other with blow after blow, receiving no quarter and asking for none in return. As they watched, Vakama pushed himself away from the Makuta, diving into the shadows and disappearing.

“Trying to hide in my domain Vakama?” The Makuta asked, making to turn from the other Toa.

“Makuta!” Matau roared. “Leave the smelt-head alone!”

Matau roared as he shot a blast of sand at the Makuta, peppering his armour with tiny shards of rock.

“YOU HAVE BEEN A THORN IN MY SIDE FOR TOO LONG! NOW YOU WILL FEEL MY WRATH!” The Makuta boomed before he doubled over, before unleashing an ethereal hand from his chest, where it arced towards the Toa.

Reacting quickly, Nokama shouted, “Brothers, Scatter!” and he as well as the rest of the Toa immediately dived out of the way of the red hand, which impacted with the rock floor, scorching it black.

Dodging yet another strike from the Makuta, Nuju flipped across the room, aiming to attack the Makuta’s legs, before a strike impacted with his own chest, sending him spinning across the room, his mask smashing head first into a pillar, and his eyes closing.

“NUJU!” Matau screamed, diving at the Makuta and grappling with the larger opponent. “Get. Away. From my. Brothers!”

For a moment, Matau held his ground, pushing the Makuta back, even as his brothers and sister rushed to his aid, and the aid of Nuju. Unfortunately, Matau was not Vakama, and could not hold his own against the Makuta, and was thrown across the room, impacting with Nokama and driving her to the floor, leaving Whenua and Onewa facing the Makuta.

“Where’s…” Onewa started, before Whenua pushed him to the floor, narrowly making him avoid another of the Makuta’s attacks, taking it on himself instead.

“Whenua!” Onewa shouted, as he watched in despair as the black Toa was pounded into the ground, the shockwave knocking him from his feet.

“Pathetic.” The Makuta laughed, before the world went white.

***

Celestia watched as the Rahkshi fell before the Toa, while Vakama kept the Makuta at bay.

“We have to help them!” Skrall roared, charging the shield and striking it with his axe, only to be thrown backwards.

“Try again!” Celestia roared, looking at the elements, before charging her own horn and firing at the weakening shield.

Nodding, the element bearers once again fired the iconic rainbow beam at the shield, this time not being met with instant failure. Celestia’s hunch was right, that now the Rahkshi were all but defeated, the harmony that held the shield strong against the elements had shattered.

Slowly, the shield began to crackle at the edges, destabilising as the rainbow light continued to pulse against it. The whole thing turned a bright white from the power being pumped into it, before finally, the power expanded outwards, blinding the room.

Instantly, Celestia moved forward, intent on helping the Toa in any way she could. Behind her, the Minotaur’s followed, marching in strict ranks behind the solar goddess.

“Makuta. Surrender yourself.” Celestia demanded, before the light faded, and her eyes set upon the scene before her.

Five of the Toa lay on the floor in various states of consciousness, but all were unable to fight.

“Sweet Celestia.” The Makuta laughed. “If the Toa could not beat me before, and they could not beat me now, how can you hope to defeat me?”

“They don’t have to!” Came a voice from high above the group, and suddenly, the Makuta was driven to his knees by an invisible force. “Surprise.”

Slowly, the form of Vakama became visible once more, and the Toa growled as he grabbed hold of the base of the wings that the Makuta sported, before leaning back and straining against them.

The Makuta let out a scream, a very un-Makuta like scream, as the wings were stretched outwards. Letting out a screech of his own, Vakama leaned back slightly further, ripping the wings from the Makuta’s back, and sending the skidding across the floor.

Stepping off the form of the Makuta, Vakama rushed over and began to help up his brothers and sister back to their feet, before facing the Makuta again, who struggled to do anything more than writhe slightly on the floor.

“You have lost Makuta.” Vakama said, standing by the other Toa, as Celestia and the elements of harmony ran up beside them.

“How…” The Makuta groaned.

“Because we fought together.” Vakama growled.

“And they would fight you a hundred times over to the same result.” Shining Armour continued.

“Because as long as we stand united.” Matau said, brandishing his weapons

“Friendship!” Rarity shouted.

“Is!” Fluttershy screamed, shocking everyone present.

“MAGIC!” The element bearers finished, rising into the air as the Toa extended their hands.

Even as the Rainbow light erupted upwards, the Toa combined their powers once more, the seal shooting towards the Makuta and his sons, sealing them in Protodermis once more. A moment later, the rainbow light washed over them, and a bright light erupted outwards, filling the room, and blinding everyone in it. A laugh began to echo round the room, a very Makuta like laughed, and a universe away, the same laugh was heard, right across the world.

When the light finally faded, there was no sign of the Makuta, or the Rahkshi. All that remained, was an empty Protodermis cage.

“WHERE IS HE!?” Skrall bellowed, looking around the room, expecting the Makuta to leap out at them at any moment.

“He has fled again.” Vakama said simply.

“You mean he’s back home?” Matau asked.

“The elements have purged him from this land, but they do not kill, and I would guess that just as Nightmare Moon was banished to her domain, he has been banished back to his.” Celestia concurred.

“So all of this was for nothing!?” Shining Armour shouted. “Everything that the Lunar Guard fought and died for, everything my sister sacrificed, it was all for nothing!?”

“Not for nothing, no.” Nokama said, placing a hand on Shining Armour’s back, but he shrugged it off, refusing to be calmed down.

“He’s still alive! He got away once, and came back again! What’s to stop him doing it for a third time in another thousand years!?”

“We are.” Vakama said, looking around at his brothers. “We know of this world, and his plans. He will not return, I give you my word.”

“Vakama!” Matau shouted, drawing everyone’s attention.

“What is it brother?” Vakama asked, walking towards where Matau’s voice had come from.

“This.” The voice sounded again, and a second later, the green Toa appeared again, carrying a very familiar orb in his arms.

“The Matoran!” Whenua exclaimed, running past Matau, and looking at where he had just come from.

“How many?” Onewa asked urgently.

“Eight, nine, ten. Plus the one that Matau took, brings it to eleven.” Whenua smiled.

“They’re all safe.” Nokama smiled.

“I’m sorry, but what are these things?” Celestia asked, looking at the ball that Matau had placed on the floor.

“Here, let me show you.” Vakama said, walking over to Celestia.

Placing his hand on the ball, Vakama felt it bend to his will, and a panel on the front slid open, revealing a tiny, completely still and lifeless figure inside.

“Is it…is it…dead?” Fluttershy asked nervously, looking at the thing in the pod.

“No Fluttershy.” Vakama smiled, before looking in the pod himself. “Just sleeping, until we can wake her up again.”

“What is it?” Applejack asked in confusion.

Smiling, Vakama gazed at the figure, as his brothers began to move more pods into the centre of the room. Slowly, Vakama turned to face the ponies and Minotaur’s.

“That my friends, is a Matoran.”

Author's Note:

Woo hoo, another chapter done. :pinkiehappy: I know it's shorter than the past few chapters, but this was bucking hard to write.
Anyhoo, any mistakes, please point them out.
Stay tuned for the final epilogue, and a speech worthy of the name Bionicle.