• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,397 Views, 315 Comments

Bionicle: The Darkness Within - FenrisianBrony



The Toa Metru team, led by Toa Vakama, pursue the Makuta to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 315
 3,397

What Happened?

Vakama roared in pain as a gout of water erupted from Nokama’s outstretched weapons, smashing into his chest, and sending him head over heels across the room. Landing on his feet, Vakama skidded backwards, gouging out long furloughs in the stone. Before he had even a second to recover, the rest of the Toa were on him again.

The rest of the battle was coming to a swift end, the reinforcements from the alliance had shattered the main advantage that the Shadow ponies held over the Lunar Guard, that of numbers. Now that they had lost that, they were slowly but surely being pushed back across the room. Even now, medical staff were streaming into the room, performing triage to stabilise the wounded, before evacuating them to the surface to receive better care.

As Nokama glanced over, she watch the Minotaur leader, Skrall, swing his weapon at a cluster of Shadow Ponies, sending them flying , before charging forward, and crushing the fallen under his cloven hooves.

“Vakama. It is over.” Onewa roared, grabbing a boulder and pitching it at Vakama.

“It’s not over, until I say!” Vakama roared, jumping up and bringing his flaming sword into the boulder, slicing it in half.

“It is now.” Nuju said calmly, taking aim, and pointing his crystal spikes at the floor beneath the airborne Toa.

Instantly, a pillar of ice began to form, erupting out of the ground, and quickly rising up, until it touched Vakama’s feet, quickly encasing him up to his neck in ice.

“Brother, if you are still in there, fight it.” Matau urged.

“There is nothing left of him!” Vakama roared, the ice around his sword melting, and freeing his arm. “Vakama is dead. Ripped from this world by the Makuta!”

“Not true.” Rainbow Dash said, stepping up beside the Toa, as Vakama’s arm was once again encased in ice.

“Vakami.” Pinkie Smiled. “We’re here to save you.”

“Twilight?” Whenua asked quickly.

“Alive.” Shining Armour said hollowly. He still couldn’t get over the sight of his sister, or how weak she had been when Celestia had carried her out, but at the same time, he was proud that his sister could both fight a monster in her head, battle Celestia, and still have the energy to transfer an element of harmony to another unicorn.

“You purified her without the elements of harmony?” Nuju asked, keeping an eye on the struggling form of Vakama.

“She…gave it up.” Shining said after a moment’s pause.

“No time for think-talking!” Matau growled, pushing Whenua aside. “Use the elements, and save Vakama!”

“Right. Hold on Vakami-ami.” Pinkie bounced, before getting into position around the other elements.

For the second time, Shining Armour felt the odd sensation of being lifted off the ground by the elements. It was not like normal magical levitation, it was something deeper, something, magical.

The six ponies rose off the ground, spreading out and surrounding Shining Armour, as there elements began to glow brighter and brighter, until the rainbow coloured magic erupted from them, arcing towards Vakama.

The creature that had taken over Vakama’s mind screamed as the Rainbow hit it, and the ice around him shattered, sending him plummeting to the floor. Slowly, the changes wrought by the Makuta began to recede along his body, until all that was left was a battered and scarred, but very much back to normal, Vakama.

“Vakama!” Matau yelled, running over to his brother and sweeping him up in a hug.

“We should get him back to the surface.” Nokama said, laying a hand on Matau’s shoulder.

“I’ll take him.” Matau nodded, before looking at the elements. “You’re coming with me to.”

“Like tartarus I am.” Shining Armour growled. “I’m still a soldier, and I…”

“YOU WILL COME WITH ME!” Matau roared. “You are too important to loose now. The Shadow Ponies are defeated, but not the Makuta.”

Reluctantly, Shining Armour nodded, and Matau quickly set off at a run, holding the weak form of Vakama on his back. Reaching the hole in the door, Matau allowed the ponies to get out first, before he followed them, heading up to the surface.

***

A few minutes later, Matau and the element bearers reached the surface, and quickly moved over to a series of tents that were serving as a medical point. While the others ran off to another part of the camp, probably looking for Twilight, Matau found an empty tent, and quickly went inside, laying Vakama on the bed inside, the piece of furniture creaking and groaning under his weight, but holding.

“He survived then?” A familiar voice asked, and Matau turned to see Celestia walking into the tent.

“He did.” Matau nodded, before turning back to his brother.

Matau was worried about his brother in some ways, but also knew that the damage done was only superficial, and given time, he would recover in body. Even his mask, which was scratched and dented, almost to the point of it being useless, would be able to be repaired. Matau was more worried for Twilight and Luna at this point. When Matau had last seen them, they not only looked like they were on death’s doorstep, but had already knocked and could hear footsteps coming down the hall.

“How’s Twilight?” Matau asked, turning back to the Alicorn. “And Luna?”

“Alive.” She admitted, a tear forming in her eye, as she sat down heavily. “My sister…and a pony I consider close enough to be my daughter. I don’t know what to do.”

“They live. Don’t underestimate that as a blessing. If you hadn’t arrived, then we’d not be seeing them here.” Matau reassured her.

“I know.” Celestia nodded. “What truly scares me is how close that…thing…that was controlling my student, came to defeating me. It was as powerful as my student, and it had her brains, but not her knowledge. If she had actually been Twilight, she would have won.”

“But she wasn’t.” Matau pointed out.

“But if she had.” Celestia mused.

“She didn’t.” Matau insisted, before turning back to Vakama.

Taking this as a sign of the conversation finishing, Celestia turned and exited the tent. Taking a deep breath, Celestia turned, and walked through the rows of tents, glancing in a few, and checking on the injured ponies within. There were very few casualties, most of the tents lying empty. At a casual glance, this would have been a blessing, but Celestia knew the heart of this matter, there were few injured, because Shadow Ponies did not leave casualties. When they fought, they killed, or were killed, there was hardly any middle ground.

Sighing deeply, Celestia pushed aside the flap of a slightly larger tent, and went inside, her gaze falling on the dark Alicorn that lay within, and the Lunar Guard that surrounded her, the last, of the Lunar Guard.

“Sis-sister.” Luna managed, coughing with the effort.

“Rest Luna.” Celestia said softly, walking over and sitting next to her fallen sister. “You did well.”

“I…failed.” She struggled. “The Lunar Guard…”

“Sold their own lives to protect yours. You did perfectly, holding the Shadow Ponies at bay until the alliance forces could get here.”

“But…my ponies.” Luna mourned.

“Are heroes.” Celestia finished. “I will allow you rest now, but I must ask to speak Castelian.”

Nodding, Luna slowly closed her eyes, while Castelian stood up, and walked past Celestia, waiting on the other side of the tent flap.

“Sleep well, sister.” Celestia muttered, before she followed Castelian.

Leading Castelian down the rows of tents, finally getting to a large tent, which served as the command tent. Stepping inside, the pair were instantly confronted by the ten members of the Sunlight Wardens.

“Princess. Lord Commander.” One of them said, snapping off a salute.

“Commander Storm Surge.” Castelian nodded, before turning to Celestia. “What?” He asked tersely.

Letting his tone slide due to what he had experienced in the past few hours, Celestia walked over to a table, and grabbed a scroll with her magic, before passing it to Castelian.

“You are in command of the army now. You are required at meetings.” She said simply.

“Luna could be dying.” Castelian growled. “We defeated the Shadow army, what more do you want? I am not doing it, not unless Luna commands me to.”

“Lord Commander.” Celestia snapped. “You will hold your tongue. You are required because we need to make sure that they are all dead, until the Makuta himself is found.”

“Then get somepony else to command.” Castelian snapped back. “Until Luna is back on her hooves, I will stay by her side.”

With that, Castelian turned his back on Celestia, and walked from the tent, making his way back towards Luna.

“Castelian.” Luna smiled, not yet asleep. “What…did my sister want?”

“She wanted me to take command of the alliance forces.” He replied.

“And…you said?” Luna asked.

“That until you are up, I will stay by your side.” Castelian said simply.

“You…were always…loyal.” Luna coughed. “I would have a favour.”

“Anything.”

“Go…and check on Twilight. I want to know…that she is safe.” Luna said, closing her eyes.

“It will be done.” Castelian bowed, before exiting the tent again, and making his way towards the tents holding the more critical patients. One thing about being an Alicorn, is that Luna was hard to kill, no matter the injuries that she took in battle. Not that that was much hope, now that she was absent a wing, something no amount of magic could help.

Quickly finding the tent that Twilight occupied, Castelian’s eyes fell upon the mare. Twilight was asleep, or unconscious, Castelian did not know which one was a more appropriate description. Her entire body looked battered and bruised, covered in scars gained in her fight with both his own men, and Celestia. Try as he might, Castelian could not forget the mare in front of him ripping his soldiers apart, and bathing in the blood. Blood that was even now being cleaned from her by her five friends, and distraught brother.

“Prince Armour. Element bearers.” He said, snapping off a lazy salute.

“Lord Commander.” Shining nodded.

“How is the bearer of magic?” Castelian asked. “I come seeking word for Luna.”

“The element of magic is fine.” Shining said glumly. “But my sister no longer holds it. She gave it to me so she could beat the monster.”

“I am sorry.” Castelian said, before turning, and making to leave, only to find himself stopped by a Pink pony, who had fastened herself around his waist.

“What about you darling?” Rarity asked, walking over and helping Castelian peel Pinkie off him. “How are you handling…it?” she asked, struggling to find the right words.

“I’m a soldier. I’ll live.” Castelian deadpanned.

“Ah’m no expert, but ah’m pretty sure that even as a soldier, ya must feel something.” Applejack said, walking over.

“I don’t.” castelian growled, but the ponies would not be deterred.

“You can talk to use Castelian.” Fluttershy said softly.

“You want to know why I want to go?!” castelian suddenly roared, causing all of the ponies to shrink back in fear. Even Shining Armour was not completely unaffected by this outburst, he knew what the Lunar Guard could do when angry.

“I want to go, because the…thing that was in charge of Twilight killed almost all of my guard.” He growled. “I know it wasn't her fault, but I can’t be here, just like I can’t bear to face Vakama.”

“But…” Rainbow began, leaping up in anger, but Castelian had already stormed out.

“Let it go.” Shining Armour said softly, just as Rainbow looked as if she was about to fly after Castelian.

“Let him go?!” Rainbow asked incredulously. “After what he said about Twilight? No, I’m going to drag him back here and make him apologise.”

“No, you’re not, and you couldn't anyway, not unless your an Alicorn, because that would be what it took to stop him.” Shining Armour said simply, before turning to Rainbow. “And you will not hold this against him either. Castelian is one of the most honourable, if crude, ponies, I have ever met. He will speak his mind, regardless of what others will think. Put yourselves in his hooves for a second. Imagine, two hours ago, you commanded the most feared force the world has ever seen, more so than the Griffon Onyx Sentinel’s and the Minotaur’s army combined, that was what the Lunar Guard truly was. Now, imagine that in the space of a single battle, which you presided over, you not only lost over three thousand ponies at your command, destroying their viability as a fighting force, but very nearly lost the princess that you were charged with protecting as well. Honestly, I hadn't expected him to be so calm about everything. Whether he comes around or not is not up to us, it is up to him. Even if he hates my sister for the rest of his life, I will not hold it against him, I would prefer not to have to make that call, but that is the reality of the situation.”

The other elements of harmony stared at each other for a second, before they lapsed into silence once more, moving back over, and sitting around Twilight.

***

“Lord Commander!” Rang out a voice, and Castelian turned to see Celestia storming towards him. “You will accompany to my command tent, and you will fulfill your duties.”

“I already said, no.” He growled.

“I am your princess, and…” Celestia began.

“LUNA is my princess!” Castelian roared.

“AND SHE IS MY SISTER!” Celestia roared back putting even Luna’s royal Canterlot voice to shame. “Now you will do your duty, and you will accompany me to my command tent, where the other commanders are already assembled, so we can plan our next move.”

Stunned by this sudden outburst, Castelian dumbly followed Celestia, as she stormed back to her tent.

***

“Vakama?” Nokama asked, poking her head into the tent, and seeing Matau sitting beside Vakama. “Brothers. He’s here.” She called out, before entering the tent, followed by the remaining Toa.

“Nokama?” Vakama asked softly, sitting up and looking at the others as they pushed their way into the tent.

“You are with us again then?” Matau asked, surprised that Vakama had awoken.

“I am.” He nodded, pushing himself off the bed.

“Slow down there brother.” Whenua said, moving over to Vakama, but Vakama gently pushed the proffered hand away.

“No. I’m going to see Celestia, and we are going to end this. The last thing I remember was the Shadow army being defeated, so it’s just him, and his sons.”

“You need to rest.” Nuju insisted.

“I’ll rest when the Matoran are safe, and the Makuta is defeated.” Vakama said simply, putting a hand to his mask to hide the pain, before moving past the others and exiting the tent.

“Come on. We still have to do our duty.” Matau said, before following Vakama.

***

“The Shadow Ponies are all dead.” Skrall reported, resting his hands on the pommel of his axe. “And my soldiers are scouting the surrounding forest for other pockets of resistance.”

“Ii that wise?” The Griffon leader, king Turg, asked. “We all saw what happened to the Lunar Guard.” He gave a worried glance towards castelian, who had not said a word to anypony since Celestia had dragged him back in.

“They have been ordered not to engage, and will report back if they find signs of any survivors.” Skrall countered.

“Good.” Castelian growled, instantly bringing silence to the table. “Then we need to find their leader, the Makuta, and kill him. Then, this ends.”

“Strong words from pony who nearly let own leader die.” A Diamond Dog Alpha growled.

“I’m going to pretend that I didn’t hear that mutt.” Castelian spat, his voice laced with venom.

“Gentlecolt’s please, let us not fight, Castelian, you know the dogs bark is worse than his bite.” The Zebra leader said.

“Well said.” Celestia nodded, before turning to Castelian. “While I understand you want to go, from what the Toa said, we will need them with us to face the Makuta. Vakama is still unconscious from his ordeal. The Toa are doing what they can, but…”

“Celestia.” Came a voice from behind the white Alicorn, and Celestia was surprised to see the red form of Vakama, standing tall behind her.

“Tough son of a bitch.” Skrall said in awe. “Didn't think he'd be up yet.”

“No one would give me a mirror.” Vakama said, looking around, before turning to Matau. “How bad is it?”

“Hell, smelt-head, you were always ugly. Slap some paint on there and no one will even notice.” Matau laughed, prompting the others to laugh as well.

“Ha-ah!” Vakama said, beginning to laugh, before stopping and grabbing his mask. “Don’t make me laugh damn it. My mask is only barely holding together as it is.” He then turned back to Matau and grinned weakly, making sure not to move his mask that much. “Ah well, probably for the best. Everyone was always ignoring you and hitting on me, about time you got a fair shot.”

“Hey!” Matau said indignantly, as everyone laughed again, even Vakama joining in slightly.

“To business then.” Turg said, turning back to the table. “My men have been scouting out the different parts of the cave system, all empty, bar one. We have been unable to open it yet, but the Toa may be able to.”

“Then we need to go there.” Skrall declared. “My troops stand ready to support you, Toa heroes.”

“Thank you.” Vakama nodded. “But I would not have you intervene unless absolutely needed. The Rahkshi are not of this world, and given the numbers you would bring, they would gain the advantage through trickery and poison. No, my brothers and sister will attempt to defeat them. I would also have the elements of harmony nearby, to help if something goes wrong.”

“I will talk to Shining Armour, but I cannot command him, he is a prince of a sovereign nation after all.” Celestia said. “I will accompany them if he does decide to follow you.” Deep down, she was worried for them, but took solace in the fact that they would be protected by the greatest army assembled in living memory.

“We should move as soon as possible.” Skrall said, hefting his axe onto his shoulder.

“Skrall.” Castelian said, turning to the Minotaur. “You have front line command, while I protect my princess. Mutt,” he turned to face the Diamond Dog, “Take your forces and take over from the Minotaur troops scouting the surrounding area, Turg, you will help as well. Dismissed.”

Nodding, everyone at the table went about their duties, preparing troops to move to various different places. While the Toa moved to stand guard near the entrance to the underground cave system, Celestia made her way towards the ten that Twilight occupied.

“Your highness.” The element bearers said in near-unison, bowing low at the Alicorn.

“Aunt.” Shining Armour said, bowing slightly. “I am afraid that Twilight has not yet awoken.”

“In many ways, that is good.” Celestia nodded, casting a sad eye over her fallen student. “I have a request of you all.”

“What is it your highness?” Rainbow asked.

“The Toa believe they will soon face the Makuta and the Rahkshi, and Vakama has asked for your presence, in case something goes wrong.” She said simply.

“Y-y-you want us to go b-back?” Fluttershy trembled.

“If you would be willing to. You have seen what a single Rahkshi is capable of, and there are believed to be six of them, if what Vakama remembers is accurate.”

“Vakama is awake then?” Shining Armour asked.

“He is.” Celestia nodded.

“And he is willing to head down there again?” Shining continued.

“His duty calls for him to.” Celestia nodded.

“I don't want to leave Twilight.” Shining Armour said, turning to face his sister, and Celestia’s heart dropped. “Nor would I see her awaken to a world still at war. If we can help the Toa bring about an end to this, we have an obligation to help them.”

“If Shining Armour is willin’ ta help, then ah’m with him.” Applejack said, drawing a rousing chorus of agreement from the other elements.

“Thank you.” Celestia smiled. “Prepare yourselves, and meet the Toa at the caves entrance. We do not enter again until the Minotaur’s who will be accompanying us have arrived.”

With that, Celestia walked out of the tent, Celestia walked into her own personal tent, and went straight over to the mannequin holding her armour. She had removed in shortly after she had taken Twilight into the medical tent where she still lay, the feeling of it pressing against her skin being unpleasant to her. Unlike her sister, Celestia had never liked wearing armour, the connotations that it brought going against everything she tried to emulate, but when the time called for it, she would not shy from wearing it.


Picture by Larsurus

Her armour was similar to Luna’s in many ways, but also differed in just as many. First of all, it was a brilliant, gleaming gold, enchantments placed upon it making sure it never dulled from use. Extravagant, yes, but Celestia would prefer ponies to know she took to the field beside them, it was the least she could do if she was going to ask them to lay down their lives. The second big difference was that her armour was much lighter than her sisters, showing the differences in how they fought. Celestia was methodical, rarely engaging in sword play until she saw no alternative, preferring to engage the enemies with magic. Luna on the other hoof, preferred the roar of melee, getting stuck into the enemies, and facing them face-to-face. It was those different traits that had served the pair of them well when they last fought together, and when they were united, they were unstoppable, much like Vakama had been when Twilight had been beside him.

A momentary pang of guilt hit her at that thought. Her sister would never be the same again, she would never take to the skies beside her sibling, and she would possibly never recover to be the pony she once was. Celestia should have been there, beside her sister, not playing politics. Now however, perhaps she would make up for it.

Quickly donning the armour, Celestia exited her tent, walking through the rows of smaller tents, before arriving at her last stop before she met the Toa. Luna’s tent.

Pushing her way in, she looked at the Moonlight Wardens for a second, before looking at her sister.

“Luna. I require a word. Alone.”

“Very well.” Luna nodded. “Wardens, outside if you please.”

Quickly, the remnants of the Lunar Guard filed outside, and Celestia took a seat beside her bed ridden sister.

“You’re more awake then?” Celestia asked, tears springing to her eyes as she looked at the bandage stuff of her wing. “How are you coping?”

“Well enough.” Luna said gruffly. “The doctors are keeping me semi-sedated, in case I have another episode.”

“The last time you were hurt, they heard you yelling at the doctors in Ponyville.” Celestia laughed softly.

“They were trying to pull me apart!” Luna protested.

“It was a splinter.” Celestia smiled, before breaking down into tears. “Oh, Luna. I’m so sorry.”

“I understand.” Luna said, pulling her sister into a weak hug.

She wanted to say that it was OK, but it wasn't. Some things weren’t just going to go away because of some well wishes, no matter how much a pony wanted them to. She didn’t blame her sister, but a part of her, deep, deep down, really wanted to.

Drying her eyes, Celestia stood up again.

“I am going with the Toa and the element bearers to face the Makuta. When I return, I will help you back to Canterlot, and help you with your duties, until you can do them alone again.”

“Thank you.” Luna smiled. “But you didn’t come here just for a chat, did you? No, I think there is something on your mind. Twilight Sparkle?”

“You always were good at deducing things.” Celestia smiled.

“Elementary my dear Celestia.” Luna grinned back weakly.

“I am worried about her.” Celestia admitted. “The creature that took control of her, made her do…horrible things, worse than anything Nightmare Moon did, if in smaller quantities.”

“And you are afraid that she will not be able to handle it?” Luna nodded. “The thought crossed my mind as well, along with protecting her from my guard. She wasn’t in charge of her bodies, and they know that, but if they were to seek revenge…”

“I will assign her her own personal squadron of guards.” Celestia said instantly. “But more than that, I want her to come back to Canterlot Castle for a bit after this is done. I believe you will be able to help her more than anypony else. You know what she has been through.”

“I agree with that. What of the other element bearers? They will not be pleased to be separated from Twilight for so long in her time of need.”

“They will be allowed to stay in the palace as well.” Celestia nodded.

“What of Vakama?” Luna asked. “I doubt he will want to stay once he has awoken and the Makuta is defeated.”

“Vakama is not of this world. He is already moving again, and is leading the assault on the Makuta.” Celestia said with a slight smile.

“Nice recovery time for some.” Luna grumbled.

“Agreed.” Celestia nodded, before turning. “I need to head out now. I will see you when I get back.”

“You better.” Luna smiled. “Die, and I’ll have to come into Tartarus to drag you out before beating you.”

Smiling weakly at her sister’s determination, Celestia exited the tent, motioning for the Lunar Guard to enter again, which they did instantly. Setting off, Celestia made her way over to the entrance of the cave system. Already, the Minotaur’s were formed up, ready to make the descent once more. At the front of the army, stood the Toa, and the elements of harmony, their new leader standing tall in his dented and blood soaked armour.

Celestia didn’t say a word as she reached the front of the force. This wasn’t a time for speeches, or long winded goodbyes, this was a time for action, and there was only one direction left to go.

Setting off, Celestia began to move down the stairs, the army following at her back. It did seem however, that not all present shared her aversion to talking at the moment, as Skrall walked up beside her. At least he had the good graces to whisper. Still, Celestia could not find any fault in what he said.

“Tartarus must be empty. All the devils are here.”

Author's Note:

Spot the references. :pinkiehappy:
Any mistakes, post in the comments below.