• Published 6th May 2013
  • 17,725 Views, 1,472 Comments

Voidrunner - The DM



Colonizing space is never easy nor is it ever predictable. Each planet presents it's own challenges and it's own rewards.

  • ...
62
 1,472
 17,725

July 5th, 2559

//Begin Personal Log

//

//July 5th, 2559

//

//23:05 Local Time.

>>UNABLE TO RETRIEVE LOG

>>...

>>...

>>...

>>RETRIEVING BACKUP LOG

>>...

>>...

>>...

>>DATA CORRUPTED

>>...




>>ERROR CODE: 93412

//End Log

Three days passed since the evacuation of Manehattan. Nearly seventy five thousand civilians were now living aboard four space liners from Virgin Galactic. Many others from Manehattan had begun to flow into nearby cities, including Canterlot. Though there were still over one hundred and seventy thousand civilians and guards missing. Of those, Quicksilver and her fellow engineers in the guard were among the missing.

Not having Quicksilver and her team around left Andrew with very little to do, and a lot more to worry about. He spent much of his free time working on the MANTIS he had stored in the hanger. Since Quicksilver’s disappearance, Andrew had become more reserved and downtrodden. It worried many of the crew, seeing him so far removed from his usual happy-go-lucky attitude. Even Discord was finding it difficult to pull the engineer away from the MANTIS. Sadly, Andrew’s mood was only destined to get worse as the day went on.

“Andrew, you in there?” Daniel asked as he slowly walked around the massive crate which housed the experimental MANTIS.

The sound of a toolbox being knocked over echoed from inside the crate, followed by a number of explicatives. After a moment, Andrew emerged from the crate while wiping his hands on the pants of his stained coveralls. “Did you find the missing armory engineers?”

Daniel paused before answering. “No, not yet. Though the cruise ships are still processing all the refugees. We won’t know for sure until they finish processing.”

Andrew grumbled at this answer, but found it difficult to argue with. “Yeah, okay.”

“I gotta ask. Why are you so... invested, in this. I know you and Quicksilver are friends... but this is borderlining on something else.”

“We’re just... good friends,” Andrew seemed to stumble for his words.

“Just friends? You’ve spent almost every day for the past three weeks in her workshop,” Daniel replied with a coy smile.

Andrew looked around the room nervously before answering. “I... okay, yeah. It might have been a little more than that.”

Daniel put two and two together and sighed. He had had suspicions about Andrew and Quicksilver, but to hear it almost confirmed was unexpected. “Wow... that’s... wow.”

“Just promise me you won’t go spouting this to everyone? I don’t need the Xenophile title attached to my name,” Andrew said with a deep sigh.

“Of course,” Daniel replied with a nod.

It was then that Captain Silverlight nearly galloped into the open cargo bay of the ship; a look of sheer terror plastered across his face. “We have a serious problem. Princess Luna has requested that you and Zerom meet her in the castle.”

Daniel nodded as he made his way off the ship with Andrew following close behind.

~~~

The three humans stood with Princess Luna and both guard Captains, all crowded around a large TV in the Princesses private lounge. On the screen were a number of gryphons and minotaurs, as well as twenty ponies with black bags over their heads.

“Citizens of Equestria. My name is King Varen Windscar. As you all know, Princess Celestia is dead, your puny nation is quickly being taken by the might of our armies, and not even your human allies are able to stop us. But you need not despair!” The king exclaimed with a smile. “All you need to do, is surrender peacefully, and you will not be harmed.”

The gryphon King snapped his claw as a minotaur led a single pony from the group of twenty. He positioned the pony in front of the camera and then pulled the bag off. Andrew’s fist clenched as Quicksilver was revealed on camera.

“Defiance, however, will be punished.”

Everyone watched in silence as the minotaur pulled out a long knife and pressed it against Quicksilver’s neck. Even facing her own death, she held her composure.

“No... no, no, no, no, no.” Andrew muttered.

“Oh shit... is this being broadcast on open channels?” Daniel asked quickly.

Silverlight nodded. “Yeah, this is on a public access channel.

The minotaur smiled as he quickly slid the blade across the unicorn’s neck, allowing a torrent of blood to cascade from her throat.

Andrew let loose a rage filled scream as he lunged forward at the screen, only to be held back by Daniel and Jonathan.

“And that,” Varen said as he chuckled at the dead unicorn, “will happen every day until the whole of Equestria surrenders. Tick tock.” With that said, the screen went blank as the cameras shut off.

Andrew was physically shaking with rage as he continued to stare into the blank screen. The Captain slowly released the hold he had on Andrew’s shoulder. The furious engineer quickly stormed out of the room as he muttered incoherently.

“Should we be worried about him?” Luna asked with concern.

Daniel shook his head as he looked at the door. “He just needs some time.”

“There’s nothing he can really do. He doesn’t have clearance for any weapons or vehicles,” Jonathan added.

Daniel nodded and turned back to Luna. “Well... now we have something to really worry about.”

~~~

A few hours passed while Daniel and Luna worked on a defence plan with Captain Silverlight and Nightshade. Intel reports had just come in, detailing a possible gryphon attack on the cities of Vanhoover, Fillydelphia, and Trotterdam.

The Princess nodded to the two guard Captains, signaling that they could leave, before sitting next to Daniel.

“C’mon, lets go grab some dinner,” the lunar Princess suggested.

Daniel slowly shook his head. “I wanna go check on Andrew first. Make sure he hasn’t done anything incredibly dumb.”

Luna chuckled. “Then do you want to get some food?”

“Yeah, haven’t really eaten anything in the past few hours.”

With that, the two got up and made their way toward the ship. As Daniel and Luna approached the hangar ramp, the Captain noticed that the crate housing the MANTIS prototype was open and empty. As soon as the pair were aboard, Daniel walked to one of Tommy’s display pads.

“Tommy, where’s Andrew?”

No response.

Daniel waited a moment before calling out again. “Tommy?”

Still no response.

Now the Captain was becoming paranoid. He pulled out an attached keyboard and began furiously typing. After a few seconds, the image of Tommy appeared on the display pad.

“AI debug mode enabled.” Tommy announced.

“Oh shit…” Daniel muttered.

“Is something wrong?” Luna asked with concern.

“I hope not…” Daniel replied as he reached for the radio. “Zerom, I need you in the hanger now.”

“Aye, sir. On my way,” the Commander replied.

Daniel took a moment to look around the hanger to see if anything else was missing. Sure enough, one of the two Pelicans was missing. Daniel’s heart skipped a beat as he turned back to the console. He typed out a few more lines of commands and then closed the keyboard.

Tommy’s image fluttered and shifted before returning to its normal state.

“Yes, Captain?” Tommy asked.

“Tommy, where’s Andrew?”

“He was just in here a few minutes ago,” the AI cheerfully replied.

“What time was that?” Daniel questioned.

“Fourteen hundred hours, give or take.”

There was silence as Daniel stared at the AI. “Tommy, it’s nineteen hundred right now.”

Tommy visibly recoiled in simulated shock. “One moment. Checking operational logs.”

“He’s off by five hours? How is that possible?” Luna asked.

“Debug mode is used for error checking and making adjustments to his programming. During that time he is basically disconnected. Without being active, he won’t record anything, including the passage of time,” Daniel replied worriedly.

“Sir, my internal logs show that debug mode was entered by Andrew Traxus at fourteen twelve today. Internal clocks have now been adjusted,” Tommy stated.

“Okay… do you know where Pelican two is?” the Captain asked.

Tommy shook his head. “No sir, but I can begin looking for it.”

“Do it, and run a check on all our weapons. Make sure nothing is missing,” Daniel ordered as he turned and made his way toward the bridge.

“Aye, sir.” The AI called out as he disappeared and went about his tasks.

Luna silently followed Daniel, who nearly ran over Zerom in the hallway. The Commander quickly changed direction and fell into step behind the Captain. The trio soon reappeared on the bridge and quickly moved to the central display table.

“Tommy, have you located the missing Pelican?” Daniel asked as he pulled up a map of Equestria.

“Yes sir. He is on heading two-seven-nine with an airspeed of eighty six miles per hour,” The AI reported.

A small projection of the aircraft appeared in the far north, near a lone mountain pass leading to the Gryphon Empire.

“Luna, is there anything of interest near there?” the Captain asked as he zoomed in on the region.

“Yes, a pair of mighty gryphon fortresses known as the Domos Lapidaes. They guard the only mountain pass between our two nations,” the Princess replied with a nod.

Captain Ryan continued to stare at the table as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Tommy, check your sensor logs. Did Andrew trace the broadcast to those forts?”

“One moment.” The AI stated. “Yes, sir. It seems he did.”

“That means the other prisoners are likely being held there. It would make sense, really.” Luna stated as she stared at the map.

“Woah, he’s stopped.” Zerom pointed out.

~~~

Andrew landed the Pelican only half a mile away from the massive fortresses. He flew without lights as to avoid being spotted in the night sky. The snow, while odd for the summer months, would be a slight hindrance for moving quietly. Luckily, subtlety was not a high priority. Tonight was about two things, and two things only. Revenge for Quicksilver, and rescuing the remaining prisoners.

The engineer gently detached the massive MANTIS before landing the aircraft. As he locked up the aircraft’s systems, he took a moment to gaze at the robotic monstrosity he had created. It stood at twenty five feet tall and sported an impressive armament of weapons. A gatling gun and flamethrower on the left arm, while the right arm ended in a powerful mechanical hand with a rocket pod attached to the wrist. Boosters on the back would allow the entire machine to clear obstacles that couldn’t be traversed on foot.

With a feeling of anger and hate, Andrew climbed up the back of the machine and into the pilot’s compartment. As soon as he strapped in, the back closed and the MANTIS roared to life. About half a mile away stood the gates of the first fort. He had traced the broadcast back to this very location, and was now intent on seeing the place burnt to the ground. With fire in his heart, he set off at a brisk pace.

The gryphons had no idea what was about to happen.

~~~

Gyrovis stood at his post, watching for anyone who dared approach the main gates of the fort. He wasn’t sure why he was there, really. No sane person would even think about attacking them. Then he saw it.

A massive bipedal... thing, was moving quickly toward the gates. Gyrovis couldn’t believe it. he watched in slow motion as the behemoth charged forward at the gates, and slammed against them. While the massive doors held, they let out loud snaps followed by an eerie creaking sound. The gryphon watched in silent terror as the machine merely punched the gates, breaking them down.

All over the fort, gryphons were rallying to fight off the invader, only to come face to face with the metal monster. The gryphon quickly ducked behind the ramparts in an attempt to avoid being seen. The large machine seemed to scan the area before raising it’s left arm at the growing group of gryphons, and let out a torrent of flame.

Anyone caught in the stream was instantly set alight, screaming in pain as flames consumed them. Other gryphons began raising their rifles at the monster, but were met with no results. Their bullets simply pinged off the hull harmlessly. However, the machine took notice of this and opened up with a torrent of gunfire from it’s large machine gun. The effect was devastating, as countless defenders were cut down, many were simply cut in half.

A number of gryphon soldiers finally managed to group up to try and down the massive rampaging machine. The group of twenty soldiers quickly took up firing positions on top of a nearby building, trying to hit the MANTIS from the side. All at once, the gryphons opened fire with their bolt action rifles, only to watch the bullets ricochet off into the snow and other buildings. Andrew took notice of this and turned to face the gryphons.

All their eyes went wide as the MANTIS unleashed four missiles from the right wrist launcher. The four missiles impacted the building, causing it to collapse, killing everyone on the roof and everyone inside.

The juggernaut continued to rampage through the fort, setting fire to anything that moved. Every building along the way to the keep was set ablaze. Soon the entire fort was giving off an eerie glow as flames lit up the night sky. The only sounds were from the burning timbers and the large MANTIS moving through the fort.

Gyrovis continued to peek over the wall and watch the machine continue it’s rampage, stopping only to set a nearby building on fire, and then killing the occupants as they tried to escape the burning structure.

One by one, buildings caught fire and their occupants subsequently slaughtered. Any gryphon who stood to oppose this intruder was quickly, and brutally, cut down. Many were gunned down, while others were set on fire, though an unlucky few were simply crushed under the machine’s massive foot.

Gyrovis continued to watch from his vantage point as the unstoppable mechanical monster continued to make it’s way toward the keep. Surely the guards would be able to bring the monster down once it got into the deepest part of the fortress.

~~~

Andrew held no emotion on his face as he effortlessly killed any gryphon who was not quick enough to fly away. Even then he would often shower them in a hail of gunfire. He made sure to set fire to every building he passed, indiscriminately killing any who emerged from the burning structures. Soon, though, Andrew found himself standing at the front door to the keep. Inside was sure to house the fort commander, one of the many gryphons from the earlier broadcast.

The engineer quickly ignited the booster pack, and effortlessly jumped over the wall surrounding the keep. He landed hard in the middle of a gryphon formation, crushing the center of the group. With a chuckle, he ignited the flamethrower and slowly doused the area in fire. Gryphons screamed as the tried to douse the flames, but many found it nearly impossible to do so. As the soldiers continued to burn, Andrew looked into the nearby window of the keep. There, standing with an awestruck expression, was the base commander.

In an instant, the right arm of the MANTIS shot through the window and grabbed the gryphon. Slowly, Andrew retracted the arm and used it to pin the helpless avian predator to the ground. Very calmly, the human opened up the back of the MANTIS, and dropped down to the snow.

Commander Turisten watched as Andrew slowly walked up to him and crouched down.

“Look at me,” Andrew commanded. Turisten struggled against the mechanical hand holding him down before looking at the human with a furious glare.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to skin you alive and leave you to freeze!” The gryphon spat.

Andrew continued to stare at the Commander. “Look behind me. See the smoke? I single handedly destroyed your fort. And I’m also going to destroy the one next door.”

The gryphon laughed as Andrew pulled out a knife from his boot. “Is this supposed to scare me?”

“I really don’t care what you feel.” Andrew growled as he drove the knife into the gryphon’s neck.

It took only seconds for the predator to bleed out. As soon as Andrew was sure the gryphon was dead, he allowed the gryphon to fall from the MANTIS’s grip. The engineer pulled a toolkit from the back of his MANTIS, retrieving a staple gun in addition to a large blade. Rolling the gryphon onto his back, Andrew plunged the knife into the upper torso and pulled down, cuttung open the gryphon’s body. Quickly, the human tore out the internal organs and threw them aside, before returning to the back of the MANTIS.

This time, he returned with a five megaton Fury nuke. He tapped on the keypad and grinned as he shoved the metal device into the gryphon’s chest. Using the staple gun, he closed the cut and left the body in the snow.

With renewed vigor, he set out to find where the remaining ponies were being held.

~~~

Cobalt Gaze sat in the large cell with the other prisoners, as well as Quicksilver’s body. Outside, the sounds of battle raged. Everypony was huddled together as the screams of the dying grew only louder. Then, their world began to shake.

Every few seconds, the walls of their cell shook with a thunderous boom. Dust and bits of loose masonry fell with each boom. After a few solid hits, the wall opposite the bars began to cave inward. With another two strong hits, the wall crumbled as the entire room was quickly filled with light.

As the ponies vision returned, they were greeted by Andrew, standing in the open hole in the wall. Cautiously, they all looked at him. The human merely chuckled as he stepped into the cell, illuminated by the flood lights from the machine behind him.

“C’mon. Let’s go home,” the human announced.

The ponies looked around nervously, but soon got to their hooves and began moving toward the open hole. Three unicorns helped carry Quicksilver’s dead body, causing Andrew’s face to drop. He knew she was dead, but to see it in person was entirely different.

The ponies watched nervously as Andrew climbed back into the MANTIS and began to walk slowly toward the gates of the keep. He unleashed a salvo of rockets, reducing the wooden gates to splinters. The ponies followed behind the massive machine as it moved through the ruined fort.

As they walked, they passed a handful of survivors trying to fight the fires, only to abandon their tasks as soon as they spotted the massive killing machine. Andrew, however, paid them little heed as he continued to lead the rescued ponies out of the fort.

Ten minutes later, Andrew and the ponies finally reached the Pelican. With twenty seats, there would be just enough room for all of them to fit. What the ponies didn’t know, was that there was a very powerful nuclear explosive poised, and ready, to detonate. Without saying a word, Andrew took the helm of the Pelican and quickly took off toward home.

~~~

Gyrovis breathed a sigh of relief as the massive mechanical death machine finally left the fort. Just below the gate were a few gryphons, staring at a burning building. Cautiously, Gyrovis glided down to land beside them. As soon as he landed, the others looked at him.

“Did you get a good look at what did this?” one of the gryphons asked.

“Yeah, it walked right under me,” Gyrovis replied.

“Will you two quite yammering and help me get this fire out?” An older gryphon barked as he threw another bucket of water onto a burning building.

“What? Are you going to put out the fires with that bucket?” a gryphon with black feathers asked sarcastically.

“Damn right I will. There might still be gryphons inside!” With that, the old gryphon threw another bucket of water onto the flames. The building suddenly groaned and promptly collapsed, showering the group in ash and embers.

“Okay, I’m not sure anything else can go wrong today.”

“Yeah, yeah. C’mon, let’s get to the other fort. The commander there will want a full report prepared for the king,” Gyrovis announced.

~~~

“Sir, the Pelican is moving. It appears to be heading back to the ship,” Tommy reported.

Daniel let out a sigh as he watched the aircraft on the display table. “Good. Is the drone on scene yet?”

“Yes, sir. Opening stream.”

In the corner of the map was a live feed from the nearby surveillance drone. Smoke and fire bellowed from one of the forts, evidence of what had happened. Suddenly, there was a bright light, and the feed was suddenly lost.

“Nuclear detonation detected. Communication with drone has been lost,” Tommy reported.

All eyes shifted to the map. The area around the twin forts was replaced by a growing red circle and a yellow radiation symbol. “What... what just happened?” Luna stammered.

“I don’t believe it... I thought you said none of our weapons were missing!” Daniel nearly shouted.

“Sir, all our nuclear ordnance is accounted for,” Zerom replied, trying to calm the angry Captain.

“Shit... well, this got a lot more complicated,” Daniel muttered.

“Yeah, have fun telling the Director about this...” Zerom deadpanned.

Daniel rolled his eyes as he left the bridge and made his way toward his quarters. He would have two hours until Andrew returned to the ship, plenty of time to break the news to the Director. With a sigh, the Captain sat down at his desk and powered on his computer.

“Evening, Captain. What can I help you with?” The Director asked.

“Sir, we’ve had a situation.”

~~~

After about two hours of straight flying, Andrew and the rescued ponies finally touched down in front of the Tuscany. Standing at the base of the ramp was Captain Ryan, Princess Luna, Commander Zerom, and three SPARTANS. The engineer knew exactly why they were waiting for him.

Slowly, the ponies began to disembark, only to be met by medical staff waiting nearby. Though, Andrew walked straight over to the base of the ramp. As soon as he approached, Daniel descended the rest of the way. In a single motion, the Captain pulled Andrew into an embrace for a few seconds. Andrew was not prepared for this and hesitated before returning the gesture.

“What the fuck were you thinking?” Daniel asked as he took a step back.

Andrew rubbed the back of his head. “To be honest, I wasn’t really thinking. I was just... kinda, doing.”

“At least you’re not dead. Plus I’m a bit impressed with the number you came back with,” the Captain said with a slight grin.

“So... what happens now?”

Daniel looked to the rescued ponies and then back to Andrew. “Well, the Director has ordered you back to Reach. He wants to personally debrief you. You’re in a shit load of trouble, but he feels that keeping this under wraps would be the best course of action.”

“So... I’m not going to be spending the next million years in jail?” Andrew asked.

The Captain shook his head. “No. You’re still a valuable asset to the UNSC. Though, expect there to be a hefty fine. You will also be barred from Avalon without proper authorization. You'll need to talk to the Director for the full list of what he is going to do to you.”

“That’s fair. If it would be possible, I would like to leave as soon as possible.” Andrew stated as he looked up at the ship.

“I think that would be a good idea,” Daniel replied.

“And I want to make one last request. I want to take the five surviving unicorns from the armory with me. I want to continue making weapons for the ponies, and those five unicorns are the only ones who know how to do the enchantments,” Andrew pleaded.

The Captain sighed and looked to Luna. “I’ll ask the Director. You’ll need to ask Luna and the five ponies.”

“I have no objections.” Luna stated from farther up the ramp.

“Alright. The UNSC Pony Express will be here in a few hours. Pack your stuff and take care of any last minute things,” Daniel instructed with a nod.

“Heh, the Pony Express. Kinda funny, considering the destination and the passengers,” Andrew mused with a chuckle.

~~~

Six hours later, the Pony Express landed at the Traxus facility on Reach. Along the way, Andrew had had a lengthy discussion with the Director. Now though, Andrew was able to get back to work. While he was no longer on Avalon, he could still play a pivotal role in Equestria and Ecotonia’s survival. With the help of the five unicorns, he would be able to mass produce magical rifles for both nations.

It was a bittersweet feeling seeing home. He knew what had happened on Avalon was unforgivable and incredibly illegal. He had single handedly killed thousands of gryphons in ways that reminded him of the Covenant siege on Reach.

As the ship touched down in the cargo port, the ponies on board remained glued to the windows. The city of New Alexandria was beyond anything they could have ever imagined. As the doors opened, the ponies followed Andrew onto the tarmac of the massive cargo port. The ponies all jumped as a cargo transport took off from a neighboring port.

“Welcome to my home. This facility is the heart of my company; my pride and joy. If you need it built, it can probably be built here. C’mon, I’ll show you where you will be staying. We’ll do a tour tomorrow morning.”

~~~

Daniel walked into the galley for a quick dinner with Luna. Ahmad, Kelly, Zerom, and Dior were all sitting at a table near one of the windows. Upon seeing the pair enter, Ahmad waved them over. Daniel and Luna grabbed two trays of food and joined the group.

“So, Andrew went AWOL and nuked two gryphon forts. Neat,” Kelly mused as she ate her meal.

“Yeah, luckily the UNSC is still going to be sending help.” Daniel said as he ate.

Dior leaned forward to look at the Captain. “So we’re getting official UNSC aid?”

The Captain nodded. “Yeah, Director Burr informed me that the Seventh Fleet will be arriving in six days. Twelve ships, including the Infinity, will be arriving at the end of the week. A couple hundred thousand marines, ODSTs, and SPARTANs, all raining down from the heavens. We just gotta hang on for a few more days.”

“A hundred thousand!?” Luna stammered.

“Probably more like a quarter of a million. The UNSC will want to make sure this ends quickly and cleanly,” Zerom added as he took a sip of his drink.

“So we’re now at war?” Ahmad asked.

“Officially, yes,” Daniel replied.

“Would you say this could be our jihad?” the ODST asked with a sly grin.

“I suppose.” Daniel answered with a perplexed grin.

Ahmad’s expression never shifted as he continued to speak. “And everyone is coming to take part in it?”

“It seems that way. Why?” Daniel finally asked with suspicion.

“My jihad brings all the boys to the yard,

And they’re like: Allah Akbar,

Damn right!

I put a bomb in your car,

I hate to go but I have to hajj.”

Everyone at the table groaned as Ahmad sang his little tune.

“Did you just come up with that, or have you been sitting on that joke forever?” Zerom asked with a shake of his head.

“You have no clue how long I have wanted to use that one!” Ahmad cheered.

Daniel turned to Luna and chuckled. “See what I get to deal with on a daily basis.”

Ahmad threw an arm around the Captain as he spoke. “Don’t deny it, you love this.”

Luna could only laugh at the two as Daniel struggled to move out from under Ahmad’s arm.

Author's Note:

Well here it is. A bit shorter than the past few chapters, but still important.

Sorry this took SO DAMN LONG. Work schedule changed on me and I just ran out of energy at the end of the day. But now things are getting more normal, plus I am on vacation for the next week!

So let's just dive back in and get down to it.

So, Questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you didn't like, haiku poetry, drop em bellow!