• Published 6th May 2013
  • 17,725 Views, 1,472 Comments

Voidrunner - The DM



Colonizing space is never easy nor is it ever predictable. Each planet presents it's own challenges and it's own rewards.

  • ...
62
 1,472
 17,725

June 25th, 2559

//Begin Personal Log

//

//June 25th, 2559

//

//20:54 Local Time

So much has happened in the past five days; both good, and horribly tragic.

The Director had a video conference with Queen Aria to discuss her asylum request. I am happy to report that the changelings will be leaving for Reach tomorrow afternoon. A transport ship is being dispatched to pick them all up. So there’s a happy ending in the regard.

Discord and Andrew have also been doing great. Dior told me about the cotton candy grenades they made, as well as the new rifles. I gotta say, I’m quite impressed.

Though all of this is overshadowed by the events of today. Hell, this morning I woke up on Equestria, and now I find myself writing this with the Tuscany parked at the Traxus facility in New Alexandria. Where the fuck did today go so wrong? Well it all started with breakfast.

<<SECTION DELETED>>

...

...

...

...

...

<<SECTION DELETED>>

//End Log

It was a typical morning for the Tuscany. Crew members pulled themselves out of bed to begin their day. The night watch shuffled off to bed while the rest of the crew took their places. Daniel and Jonathan casually made their way off the ship, heading toward the great hall for breakfast with the Princesses.

All across the city, ponies got up and went about their daily routines. Most trotted off to work after bidding farewell to their loved ones at home, children began their new day of having summer vacation adventures, and some simply stayed home to sleep in.

As Daniel and Zerom walked across the field, they could clearly hear the sounds of birds chirping in the early morning sun, as well as the sounds of dozens of ponies being worked to the bone by human drill instructors. Though, it wasn’t long before both officers found themselves in the grand dining hall.

Princess Celestia and Luna were already at the table, with Prince Blueblood sitting next to Celestia. Luna looked absolutely exhausted as she drank from a mug of coffee. Both sisters looked up as the two men walked in.

“Morning, you two,” Celestia greeted.

“Yeah... what she said.” Luna grumbled, clearly not amused about having to be awake.

“Morning.” Daniel replied as he and Zerom took their seats.

A number of servants quickly entered the room to take everyone’s orders. Though, an odd rumbling sound quickly filled the dining hall. Everyone at the table turned to look in time to see the doors to the east wing burst open. Through the doors came Discord and Andrew. Both seemed to be riding on a couch, mounted to tank treads, with Andrew driving the contraption. Daniel let out a long sigh as Andrew and Discord drove their couch across the hall and parked it next to Daniel’s chair. The treads on the couch quickly folded up and retracted inside as the sound of it’s engine died out. Celestia and Luna both stared at the contraption with surprise, while Blueblood did his best to ignore the whole thing.

“I told ya it would work!” Andrew shouted while Discord laughed as they both removed their goggles.

“I’m telling you, ponies will throw their bits at you if you sold these things.” Discord said between fits of laughter.

“I can see it now: Traxus Motorized Couches,” Andrew moused out loud, ignoring everyone else at the table.

“Did you two build all that last night?” Luna asked.

“Yup. Didn’t sleep,” Andrew announced proudly.

“So... how’s it powered?” Daniel asked with a hint of concern.

“A fusion coil in the back,” Andrew replied.

Daniel and Zerom shared a glance before scooting their chairs away from the nuclear powered couch.

“Oh come on,” Discord said, “it’s perfectly safe.”

“Discord, do you have any idea what a fusion coil does when you kick it?” Zerom asked sarcastically.

The draconequus shrugged. “Uhhh... no.”

“It usually explodes... violently,” Daniel answered.

Andrew waved dismissively. “Pfft, it’s fine. I made sure to protect the coil.”

“May I ask where you got the couch from?” Celestia asked.

“From Blueblood’s room,” Discord stated nonchalantly.

The Prince’s face paled as he stared at the couch and then to Discord.

“What!? Why my couch?” Blueblood wailed.

Discord chuckled. “What? You think I’m going to use my own couch? I turned that into a giant funnel cake last week.”

Everyone at the table shared a collective sigh. “Is your whole life just a giant carnival?” Jonathan asked.

Discord snapped his fingers, materializing a funnel cake on the plate in front of him. He then proceeded to pick up the plate and throw it like a frisbee across the room. Everyone watched as the plate seemed to orbit the room before heading straight back toward him. With a loud snap, Discord caught the plate in his mouth and ate the entire thing, plate and all.

“Chaos, baby,” Discord replied with a wink.

The unicorn servants soon returned with plates of food in their magical grasp, setting each one in front of their respective owner. All conversation ceased as the food was presented, though Blueblood continued to glare at Discord and Andrew.

“You both owe me a new couch,” the Prince grumbled between bites of his crepes.

Andrew looked down at the floral pattern couch and shrugged. “Yeah, sure. Though ya gotta admit, this is pretty cool.”

Blueblood merely glared at the engineer as he continued his breakfast. For the next thirty minutes, the meal was enjoyed in silence.

Luna was the first to finish her meal. “Alright, I’m going to bed. I’ll see you all later.”

“Sleep well, sister,” Celestia replied with a smile.

Luna merely nodded as she trudged off toward the ship.

“So,” Daniel began as he pushed his empty plate away, “what’s on the docket for today?”

“Quicksilver and I are going to make some more adjustments to the new rifles,” Andrew replied.

“You two seem to be spending a lot of time together,” Daniel commented while looking at the engineer with a sly look.

“Well... yeah, she’s awesome.” Andrew replied nervously.

“Just what are the two of you doing... late at night... with no one around... alone in the workshops... just the two of you...” Jonathan said in a sultry voice.

“We should also go check on the new recruits. Word has it that the drill sergeants are more brutal than anything in the Equestrian military,” Zerom announced.

Daniel nodded and he leaned back in his chair. “Lovely. Perhaps a surprise combat drill will be fun for them.”

“Well then, I will leave that in your very capable hands.” Celestia said as she levitated her plate to a nearby waiter.

“Alright, Discord. Let’s rock and roll.” Discord and Andrew engaged their mechanized couch and slowly backed away from the table. They both then donned their goggles and drove away.

“Ya know, I think the daisy floral cloth would look fabulous on our tanks,” Jonathan chuckled.

“Did you see the cupholders on that thing? Crazy bastard thought of everything,” Daniel added with excitement.

Zerom nodded. “I bet it even has seat warmers.”

“Well, Zerom,” Daniel began with a grin, “let’s gear up. We have a training exercise to plan.”

~~~

The two officers stood atop a balcony overlooking the training grounds. Below them were over two hundred new recruits, all being trained by a handful of marines from the Tuscany. Both men on the balcony chuckled as they prepared to initiate their plan.

“So, the instructors know what’s about to happen?” Jonathan asked.

Daniel rolled his eyes as he slipped his helmet on. “Yes, yes. I made sure they all know the plan.”

“Alright. Let’s make some chaos,” Zerom said with a chuckle.

The Captain pulled out a remote detonator and flipped off the safety. “Here we go.”

Daniel pulled the trigger and waited for the pyrotechnics to go off. Seconds passed as nothing happened. Zerom slowly looked at Daniel with a disappointed look.

“Did you take off the safety?” the Commander asked sarcastically.

“Yeah...” Daniel replied as he inspected the detonator.

Zerom shook his head slowly. “Is it synced to the proper channel?”

“Again, yes.” Daniel replied in frustration.

“Is it turned on?”

Silence. Daniel pressed a switch on the bottom and looked back to Zerom. “Don’t say anything.”

The Commander just laughed.

There was a loud explosion behind them as the castle shook slightly. Both men froze and looked at each other.

“Didn’t you say there would only be some flash powder and smoke?” Jonathan asked.

“Uhh... yeah,” Daniel replied with a hint of worry and confusion.

“Aaaaand that sounded like a lot more than just smoke and flash...”

“Yeah...” The Captain answered as both men slowly turned around to see a massive smoke plume rising above the castle.

“I... I don’t think we did that...” Zerom commented as the plume continued to rise.

“Ya know what sounds great right now?” Daniel asked as he touched his radio.

“What?”

“General quarters! General Quarters! All hands, man your battlestations! This is not a drill!” Daniel shouted over his radio as he took off into the castle, Zerom hot on his heels.

Inside the castle, guards were rushing toward the throne room. Sporadic gunfire and shouting echoed through the halls. Both men ran down the nearest staircase and back into the dining hall. Jonathan quickly broke off and ran back toward the ship, while Daniel ran toward the throne room with the rest of the guards.

As the Captain entered the throne room, dozens of guards were engaging an even larger force of gryphons. The large oak doors of the castle had been shattered and blown off their hinges. The ODST instinctively drew his sidearm and quickly joined the firing line, taking a spot next to Captain Silverlight behind an overturned table.

“Silverlight! What the fuck is going on!?” Daniel shouted.

“Gryphons blew the door off the hinges and stormed the throne room. The Princess was up in her chambers when they attacked,” Silverlight replied between shots.

“Where the hell were the guards on the ramparts!?”

“They were at their posts. We suspect they are all dead, though,” the unicorn grumbled.

“Alright.” Daniel said as he brought a hand up to his radio. “Tommy, I need all combat units to the throne room now. Get Dior and her SPARTANs over here with heavy weapons.”

“Aye, sir. Shall I bring ship weapons online?” The AI asked.

“Yeah, lock down the ship afterwards. Keep Luna safe,” Daniel commanded.

“Aye, Captain. All combat personnel are responding.”

Daniel and the solar guards continued to fight against the gryphons. Unfortunately, the gryphons were gaining the upper hand through superior training. Though that balance was soon toppled once the first group of marines and ODST’s stormed the throne room with fully automatic weapons.

“Lieutenant Klondas, take your group and cut around through the south gardens. We need to push them back into the courtyard!” Captain Ryan shouted over his radio.

The marine nodded and quickly took off with his squad.

“Captain Ryan!” Daniel turned around to see Commander Dior and her SPARTANs running up from behind. “I hear you need some extra firepower?”

“Why yes. Yes I do. Would you also happen to have a weapon for me? I’m running out of pistol clips,” Daniel replied in a sing song voice.

The SPARTAN reached down and pulled an SMG off of her thigh armor and handed it to the Captain. “Now, where do you need us?”

“I need a few SPARTANs here to help us push these bastards back. I want you and two others to go secure Celestia,” Daniel ordered.

Silverlight ducked back into cover and looked up at the SPARTAN. “Take some of my guardsponies. Your best bet would be to get the Princess to the vaults below the castle.”

“Good call. Make it happen!” Daniel said as he popped over the table and continued to fire at the attackers.

“Trent! Victor! On me!” Dior shouted as she began sprinting back toward Celestia’s tower.

Daniel watched the three SPARTANS, a few guards, and some marines, run off to make sure the solar Princess was safe. To the Captain’s relief, more troops continued to pour into the throne room. Among them, Ahmad and the rest of the ODSTs.

“Ahmad, about damn time,” Daniel chuckled.

“Sorry, Binkley forgot his purse on the ship,” Ahmad said jokingly.

It was at that point that Corporal Binkley stood up, holding a rocket launcher on his shoulder, and fired into the line of the gryphons. The missile screamed out of the tube and blew a considerable sized hole in the floor, killing everyone around it.

“See, aren’t you glad we went back for it?” The ODST retorted.

Soon though, the tide of gryphons came to an abrupt halt, though gunfire still echoed from outside.

“Everyone push up! Hold them at the doors!” Daniel shouted and charged forward, followed closely by his fellow ODSTs and marines.

“You heard him! Move up!” Silverlight echoed, rallying the guards.

The guards followed their Captain and rushed up behind the humans. To their surprise, a second group of marines had successfully flanked the gryphons, giving the rest of the troops time to take up better defensive positions.

“Captain, we have the Princess. Heading down to the vault now.” Dior reported over the radio.

“Copy that. We’ve got them pushed back to the courtyard,” Daniel replied as he reloaded.

All around him were the bodies of both gryphon and pony. Luckily, a single human had yet to fall. For the next ten minutes, the gryphons were slowly whittled away until they were ultimately pushed back to the courtyard gates.

“Someone get up there and seal the gates!” Silverlight called out.

“Belay that! Keep fighting, don’t let them escape!” Daniel interjected as he unloaded a few shots into the nearest gryphon.

Silverlight looked at the ODST with concern as muzzle flashes reflected off his visor. To everyone’s surprise, a loud explosion was heard from behind them. After a few seconds, Daniel’s radio came to life.

“Starfire down, Starfire down, We need medics.” Came the calm, but angry voice of Dior.

“En route,” Daniel replied, “Silverlight! Keep up the fight!”

~~~

Commander Dior led a group of two other SPARTANs, four marines, and five solar guards. Their mission was to move Celestia from her chambers, down to the vaults below the castle. Thankfully, the Princesses chambers were only a short jog from the front lines in the throne room.

Outside Celestia’s room, were a pair of scared looking solar guards. The SPARTAN ignored them and knocked on the door.

“Princess Celestia? It’s Commander Dior.”

Celestia slowly opened the door to look at the SPARTAN and her group. “What is the situation, Commander?”

“Not good. Gryphons have stormed the courtyard and neutralized all forces on the ramparts. Marines have joined the guards and are currently pushing them back. We now need to move you to a more secure location,” the SPARTAN reported.

“The vaults, I take it?”

Dior nodded and opened the door further. “Yes, ma’am.”

With that said, the group of soldiers formed a defensive ring around the Princess, with Victor taking the lead. As they moved down the spiral stairs of the tower, the sounds of gunfire and yelling became more distant.

“Sounds like our guys are getting the upper hand,” Trent commented.

“Stay focused,” Dior barked.

For the next few minutes, the group quickly made their way through the hallways toward the vaults. They only paused at an intersection as the guards checked around the corner. Just as the signal to continue was given, a thunderous boom resonated from the Commander’s left. As if the noise wasn’t enough, something solid impacted her, sending her crashing into a nearby wall.

As the SPARTAN picked herself up, and shook the ringing out of her ears, she noticed over a dozen gryphons pouring through a smoking hole in the wall. Trent was pushing rubble off of himself, while Victor was busy fighting off three attackers. Two marines lay on the ground next to Celestia, neither of them showed signs of moving. The Princess herself was busy using her magic to fight off the attackers.

Dior watched in slow motion as Celestia fired a beam of what looked like pure sunlight into a gryphon, vaporizing it in an instant. She then turned and fired on another attacker, vaporizing the gryphon’s upper torso. The Princess then levitated a large piece of stone debris before hurtling it into a nearby gryphon. The predator was unable to react fast enough to avoid the large stone from colliding with his head, killing him instantly.

Unfortunately, her defenders were too scattered by the blast to provide adequate defence. Dior charged forward just as a large gryphon tacked the solar Princess to the ground. Lisa continued to charge forward as the gryphon sunk it’s talons into Celestia’s shoulder and chest, and his beak into her neck.

Celestia screamed in pain as her attacker bit down, easily biting into her vulnerable neck. Though the attack was short lived as the Princess watched two armored hands grab the upper and lower jaws of her attacker. The gryphon held a look of sheer terror, as Dior slowly began to pry open the avian predator’s jaws with her hands.

The rest of the soldiers had finally picked themselves up and began to fight back against the ambush. Celestia watched as Dior picked up the gryphon by his jaws and continued to pull. The SPARTANs visor depolarized to reveal an expression of absolute fury. The gryphon began to scream as Dior slowly ripped off his lower jaw. With one last effort, the gryphon’s jaw came off as Dior let out a bloodcurdling war cry.

The enraged SPARTAN then dropped her prey and promptly crushed his skull under her boot. With her bloodlust satisfied, she turned her attention back to Celestia. Two guards were holding bits of cloth against the wounds on her neck and chest.

“Did they hit the artery?” Dior asked.

“Y-yeah... she’s losing a lot of blood,” one of the guards stammered.

“Trent. Foam her, now,” the SPARTAN ordered.

As the EOD specialist did as he was instructed, Lisa brought a hand up to her helmet and spoke.

“Starfire down, Starfire down, We need medics.” Dior stated with deadly calm.

“En route,” came Daniel’s reply.

The SPARTAN looked around angrily for any surviving gryphons. When she didn’t find any, she turned her attention to the two marines laying on the ground. Dior didn’t need to be a medical expert to know that they were both dead.

Trent had quickly applied a thick ring of biofoam around Celestia’s neck, preventing her from bleeding to death. Even with their quick action, Celestia had already slipped into unconsciousness. A few moments later, Daniel and Ahmad came rushing down the hallway.

“What the fuck happened!?” Daniel asked.

“Ambush. They were waiting for us to come through here. They used an absurd amount of explosives to blow the wall here,” the SPARTAN reported, pointing to the smoking rubble.

“Fatalities?” Daniel asked as he began to tend to Celestia’s wounds.

Lisa looked around at the bodies that littered the floor. “Sixteen hostiles, five friendlies. Two marines.”

“Is she going to be okay?” Ahmad asked as he crouched next to the fallen Princess.

“She’s stable for now, but we need to get her proper medical treatment,” Daniel replied.

“The medical wing isn’t too far from here.” One of the solar guards stated.

“Not happening. This place is no longer secure,” Daniel answered.

“Then where?” the guard asked.

Daniel looked to Victor as he spoke. “We need to get her to the Tuscany.”

Victor nodded as he carefully picked up Celestia, setting her over his shoulders. Ahmad kept pace beside the SPARTAN, supporting the Princesses head.

“Tommy, inform Doctor Tetrow he’s getting an Alpha,” Daniel ordered. “And get the Director on the line.”

“Aye, sir. Mind telling me what’s going on?” the AI asked.

“Not right now, Tommy. Kinda busy.”

The group slowly made their way toward the Tuscany. Unfortunately, gryphons were busy swarming the ship, trying to break in. Daniel laughed slightly as the ship’s turrets made quick work of anyone who got too close.

To the Captain’s surprise, his radio began to ring. “Go for Ryan.”

“Captain Ryan, your ship said to call you,” Director Burr said.

The gryphons attacking the ship soon turned their attention to the group carrying Celestia. Daniel was the first one to open fire on their attackers as they charged at the group. There were quite a few gryphons who got close enough for the humans to strike out with knives and other melee weapons.

“Yeah, though Tommy’s timing sucks!” Daniel shouted as he continued to fire.

“Uhh... I can call back.”

“No, no. You’re here, you might as well stay.” The Captain quickly reloaded, ramming the empty clip into the eye of the closest gryphon.

“Jesus. The fuck did that guy do to deserve that?” The Director asked with a chuckle.

“You really wanna know? These fucks went and tried to tear out Celestia’s throat.”

“Woah, woah, woah. Is she dead?” Director Burr asked with shock.

“No, Dior’s team managed to stop the bleeding, though she needs immediate treatment. We’re loading her onto the ship for medevac,” Daniel replied.

The Director’s face then appeared on Daniel’s heads up display. “Okay, why did you need to tell me this?”

“Because, there are no secure locations with the medical equipment we need. So we’re coming home.”

The Director’s eyes went wide at the revelation. “Wait, what!? Are you fucking kidding me?”

“Afraid not. Reach is the best place with the medical facilities and security we need.” Daniel said as the ramp to the Tuscany lowered.

“Surely the castle has the appropriate medical facilities?” The Director countered.

“Mostly, though the entire place is under attack. Plus, I doubt the security of the castle at this point. That also rules out local hospitals, since they are less secure than the castle,” Daniel said as he and the other marines provided covering fire for the SPARTANs.

“What about the deer? From what I have heard, they are quite the technological civilization,” Director Burr asked.

Daniel sighed as he reloaded. “No offence to them, but I doubt their ability to keep her safe. They like tech, but I’m not that confident in their military.”

“The UNSC Hopeful is near Earth. She could be in orbit around Avalon in two days, one if you meet her halfway,” the Director offered.

“Too long, she needs treatment now. Reach has the closest medical facility that can provide the necessary security.”

There was a pause as the Director rubbed his temples. “Okay fine, I’ll need to clear this with the high brass,” the Director replied.

“Well, if we save Celestia’s life, then Equestria will love us forever. Perfect for diplomatic relations,” Daniel chuckled.

“Look, I’ll make some calls and see what I can do.”

Daniel and the rest of the team quickly made their way through the ship, heading toward the infirmary. “Great. It’s gonna take us a few hours to get there. Think you can get me priority landing?”

“Don’t push it. You’re already putting me in a really shitty position. Just keep her alive long enough for me to get you a solution.” Director Burr said with a scolding glare. “You owe me big time.”

“You got it..” Daniel said as he ended the call. “Alright, you guys reload and head back out there. I want this castle secured by the time I get back.”

“I’ll personally make it happen.” Dior replied aggressively.

The group quickly got out of the way of the medics and went about their tasks. While the rest of the group made their way off the ship, Daniel rushed up to the bridge.

“Vezina, get us in orbit. Tommy, spin up FTL drive and engage optical cloak,” Daniel began ordering.

“Destination, Captain?” The AI asked.

“Reach. Go to FTL as soon as we clear the planet.”

“Understood. Bringing systems online,” Tommy replied.

The entire ship roared to life as the engines kicked in, lifting the entire form of the Tuscany off the ground, all while hidden behind its cloaking bubble. The ship’s pilot made a hard right turn and began to ascend to the void of space. As the ship continued to ascend, Daniel made his way toward the crew quarters, looking for the resident alicorn.

“Daniel, what the hay is going on?” Luna asked, stopping Daniel in the hallway.

“Did you just wake up?” Daniel asked.

“Yeah, alarms started going off and everyone was just running around like the whole world was ending.”

“Well... that’s not entirely inaccurate,” Daniel said nervously. “Gryphons ambushed the castle, killed a lot of the guards and broke into the throne room. Marines are currently pushing them back.”

“Then why are we flying away? Shouldn’t we stay and help!?” the Lunar princess yelled.

“Because... there was an incident... involving your sister.”

Luna’s eyes went wide at the mention of Celestia. “W-what happened?”

“She and her escorts were ambushed. She suffered multiple deep laceration to the neck. Doctors are stabilizing her right now,” Daniel replied, placing a hand on her shoulder. “We’re heading to Reach right now. Director Burr is arranging medical treatment for her once we arrive.”

“I want to see her... now,” Luna demanded.

“As soon as medics have her stabilized, she’s all yours.”

All hands, stand by for FTL jump.” The ship’s intercom announced.

~~~

For two hours, the Tuscany silently flew through the area between normal space. It took only half an hour for the medical team to stabilize Princess Celestia. Unfortunately, they had to also deal with a hysterical Luna. Daniel and the Director had spent almost the entire flight trying to secure landing permits and medical clearance. Luckily, they were able to secure their permits and clearances before dropping back into normal space.

Even though Tuscany had emergency clearance, the ship still had to navigate through the dense traffic in Reach’s orbit. There was more than one instance where the ship had to take evasive action to avoid colliding with other ships.

“Alright, Bring us in for landing. Head straight for the hospital,” Daniel ordered from his chair.

Vezina looked over his shoulder at Daniel. “Straight for the hospital? Aren’t we landing at the starport?”

“Negative.” Daniel shook his head. “Hospital staff are waiting for us.”

The entire ship began to glow as it hurtled through the atmosphere. It was nighttime in New Alexandria, though the city lights were bright enough to be seen from space.. Ahead of them, the lights from the hospital landing pad blinked, signaling the ship to approach. Daniel watched as skyscrapers passed the frigate on all sides.

As the ship approached the hospital, one issue became apparent; the landing pads were meant for small aircraft, not frigates. The pilot quickly noticed this and turned to Daniel for instructions.

The Captain nodded as he silently acknowledged the problem. “Just get us as close to the pad as possible. Then pull into a hover while we make the transfer.”

“Got it,” the pilot replied as he focused on the landing.

“Medical, prep patient for transfer,” Daniel called out over the intercom.

“Aye, Captain.”

The Captain quickly got up from his seat and headed to the launch bay.

~~~

Three agonizing hours later, Luna found herself sitting silently in an empty waiting room. Marines stood at every door, while a pair of SPARTANs stood at the doorway to the recovery rooms. The Princess didn’t notice the strange man enter through the elevator.

He was a bit older Daniel, with well kept salt and pepper facial hair. He wore a long, black overcoat with a grey business suit underneath. He slowly approached the lunar Princess.

“Princess Luna?” the man asked.

Luna looked up at the strange man with an inquisitive gaze. “Yes?”

“Mind if I sit?”

Luna nodded silently as the man removed his coat and sat across from her. “My name is Director Kyle Burr. Perhaps you have heard of me?”

Luna nodded. “Yes, I’ve heard your name quite a bit. Nice to finally meet you.”

“Likewise. I simply wish it were under better circumstances.” The Director paused as he pulled out his datapad and set it on the table. “I’ve spoken with the doctors about your sister. They’re saying she is going to be fine, thanks to the quick thinking of the team on the ground.”

“I know... they told me her throat was slit by a gryphon’s beak... and that she lost a considerable amount of blood,” the lunar Princess mumbled, looking down at the floor tile.

“Then you should also know that the best medical minds in the UNSC are working around the clock to keep her alive,” the Director replied, trying to reassure her.

“Not to be rude, but, why did you want to meet me?” Luna asked with a raised eyebrow.

The Director chuckled. “An opportunity to meet one of the famous Equestrian Princesses is not something I want to pass up.”

Luna recoiled, slightly in shock. “Famous?”

The Director nodded. “Oh yes. Believe it or not, your world is very famous right now. Every night, people go home to watch the news, hoping for more information on planet Avalon. Your world is currently the focus of the galaxy. As the first non-hostile aliens we have ever met, you can imagine people are fairly excited.”

“R-realy?” Luna stammered.

“Indeed. In fact, you’re a bit of a fan favorite. A lot of people have heard your story, Princess. And if there’s anything that humans enjoy, it’s a good underdog story. Falling into despair and madness, being banished by your own sibling, then making a miraculous turnaround before returning to power. And, quite frankly, people love you,”

“How many?” Luna asked wide eyed.

“A few billion, give or take.”

The Princess sat in stunned silence. Most ponies feared her, some might even hate her, but to hear that billions of humans actually liked her was a bit overwhelming.

“So... humans like that kind of story?” Luna asked, still bewildered at the thought.

The Director nodded. “People like seeing a story where someone makes a tragic mistake, but ends up better for it. It’s a kind of feel-good happy ending type of story.”

“How would my story make people feel good?” Luna countered, not sure how to interpret the Director’s statement.

“Well, believe it or not, your story is a classic theme. The protagonist is living a happy life, then something happens to disrupt that. Then the protagonist tries to fix the problem, only to have it backfire horribly, falling into years of despair. Then, despite everything that had gone wrong, he or she, manages to recover and comes out better than before.”

“Director... I need to get back to Equestria as soon as possible,” Luna stated.

“Of course,” the Director began, “the Tuscany is departing in two hours. I’m heading there now, if you want a ride.”

“That would be great. It beats sitting around in a waiting room all night.”

With that said, both parties got up and walked to the nearby elevator. The ride up to the landing pad gave Luna a few moments to gaze out through the glass walls of the elevator. Before here was a sprawling metropolis, with towers that seemed to pierce the clouds. She noticed the clock in the elevator displayed “2:14 AM”. Though she could hardly believe it.

Even at this late hour, the city seemed as busy as Canterlot did on a mid afternoon weekend. All around her, lights flashed on the sides of towers, aircraft sped along unseen arial traffic lanes, and even trains sped between buildings.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” the Director said with a chuckle.

“Is it always this way?” Luna stammered.

Director Burr nodded. “This is a fairly typical night scene. With eleven million people here, it’s bound to have someone awake at every hour.”

Soon the elevator reached the top floor, revealing a waiting Pelican with a pair of ODSTs waiting beside it. The pair made their way across the pad and into the cabin of the waiting aircraft. The ODSTs followed them in, just as the aircraft took off.

“So, where are we going?” Luna asked as the Pelican left the hospital.

“Traxus Tower, Tuscany is there for resupply,” the Director replied

For ten minutes, the Pelican flew through the city, carefully weaving around massive towers. Occasionally, Luna could swear she heard the faintest sounds of music coming from various buildings. Eventually the Pelican reached it’s destination. Luna was surprised when the Pelican landed at the exact same building she had seen in Andrew’s dream.

Below them, the Tuscany sat in an open cargo bay as crates of equipment were loaded onboard. The ground crews seemed to be struggling with a particularly bulky crate, all while other pieces of equipment were removed by humans in white lab coats. Daniel was standing on a catwalk, observing the work below.

Luna ignited her horn and quickly teleported herself, and the Director, right next to the Captain. The Director blinked and staggered backwards as the flash from the spell faded.

“Next time, warn me when you do that,” the Director said as he rubbed his eyes. Their ODST escorts looked around in sheer confusion as they hurried down the nearest staircase to the catwalks.

Daniel chuckled as he looked over his shoulder. “You get used to it.”

Luna found it hard to look away from the loading effort taking place just below her. All around the ship, people were double checking equipment and loading every imaginable type of supply. From food, to mass driver slugs, to water, everything needed to be taken with them. Then a thought crossed Luna’s mind.

“It’s funny... the more I look at the ship, the less it seems like a starship, and more like a small city,” Luna mused with a chuckle.

“Yeah, that’s a pretty accurate comparison. Starships have to be able to operate like a small town,” Daniel replied.

“Small town? Try telling that to Infinity,” the Director laughed.

“Clearly she didn’t get the memo,” Daniel said sarcastically.

“When you think about it, the ship has it’s own form of government, it’s own utilities, culture, population... everything,” the Princess commented, still impressed with her revelation.

“So if the Tuscany is a small town, what would that make me?” Daniel asked with a grin.

Luna brought a hoof to her chin and tapped it as she thought. “I’d say you would be a Count.”

Daniel thought for a moment and nodded. “The Count of Tuscany, I like it.”

The three continued to watch the ground crews work for another ten minutes. Down below, Doctor Micham gave Daniel a thumbs up, indicating that all their gear had been offloaded.

“So, ready to head back?” Daniel asked as he turned to look at Luna..

“Yeah... I need to raise the moon before anypony realizes I’m gone,” Luna said with a nod.

“Alright, just head down the catwalk to the port side airlock. I’m just going to oversee the rest of the loading,” Daniel replied with a yawn.

Luna turned to the Director and bowed slightly. “Thank you, Director. For everything you have done for us.”

“It’s been my pleasure, your highness. And don’t worry, we’ll take good care of your sister.”

Luna nodded once more as she teleported onto the ship. The Director sighed as he stood next to Daniel, leaning against the railing.

“I have a meeting with the joint chiefs of the UNSC tomorrow morning. They know Celestia is here, and they want to talk about what our next step is going to be,” the Director began.

“Well, that’s good. Anything in particular you’re going to try and push?” Daniel asked.

“From what you reported over the past few weeks, the subject of a military intervention will be proposed,” Director Burr continued.

Daniel looked at the Director in surprise. “Seriously?”

The Director nodded. “Yeah, though it depends on a few things. The Equestrians or Ecotonians must request our help, we’ll need general public approval, and we’ll need the approval of the head brass.“

“So you need us to hold the gryphons off?” Daniel asked as he watched additional dock crews continue to load cargo onto his ship.

“Basically. Think you can do that?”

The Captain nodded. “Just so long as I can have the Grafton for support.”

Director Burr chuckled. “She’s all yours.”

“Great,” Daniel stated as he watched the dock crew push a rather large crate into the loading bay.

“Any idea what’s in that crate?” The Director asked.

Daniel pulled out his datapad and began to scroll through the cargo manifest. “It’s something for Andrew... something called The Great Equalizer. Looks like a prototype MARK IV Armor Defense System.”

“So a Mantis?”

The Captain nodded. “Yeah, though this one is about fifty percent bigger, experimental armor systems, upgraded weapons, and a whole lot of other things that I can’t describe.”

“Sounds like fun,” the Director commented as the ship’s loading ramp closed. “Looks like they’re ready to fly.”

“Yup. Time for me to head out,” Daniel replied as he made his way toward the airlock.

~~~

It took just over five hours for the Tuscany to reach orbit over Avalon. It was only six in the evening as the ship began the reentry process. Luna sat silently next to Daniel as the ship descended through the atmosphere. As soon as the city of Canterlot came into view, the Princess let out a sigh of relief.

“Nervous?” Daniel asked.

“Of course. Though, I’m glad we made it back before the sun needed to set,” Luna replied.

Zerom leaned forward to look at Luna. “So... you’re in charge of the sun and moon now?”

The Princess nodded. “As well as the day court, for the time being.”

Slowly, the entire ship extended it’s landing struts as it set down in the same spot in the north gardens. Outside, a number of guards and marines stood, waiting for the loading ramp to lower.

“We’re home,” Daniel announced as the ship lurched upon landing.

As the sound from the engines died down, the loading ramp lowered, allowing fresh cargo to be unloaded. Andrew and Quicksilver were the first to rush up the ramp to begin unloading. All around the landing site, marines sat in small group. With the fighting long over, the troops allowed themselves some time to relax.

Daniel looked up at the castle as he reached the bottom of the ramp. Light plumes of smoke still wafted up from the front and sides. Final reports indicated that over eighty guards had been killed, with another hundred or so wounded. That stood in contrast to the twelve marines killed, and twenty seven wounded.

“Captain?” A nearby marine said.

Daniel turned to face the marine. “Yes?”

“Does al this mean we’re finally going to war with the gryphons?”

The Captain paused as he looked back to the castle. He let out an audible sigh as he spoke. “Yeah... we’re to going war.”

Author's Note:

Well... time for things to really start moving. Celestia is now down for a while, and we get to see the first human fatalities.

Time for the UNSC to start evaluating the possibility of open war with the gryphons.

So... questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you didn't like, haiku poetry, toss 'em below.