• Published 6th May 2013
  • 17,714 Views, 1,472 Comments

Voidrunner - The DM



Colonizing space is never easy nor is it ever predictable. Each planet presents it's own challenges and it's own rewards.

  • ...
62
 1,472
 17,714

May 11th, 2559

//Begin Personal Log

//

//May 11th, 2559

//

//23:02 Local Time

Yesterday and today have been... interesting. Andrew happened to find an IED in the throne room. Hell, he even went so far as to throw himself on Celestia to keep her from setting the device off. So props to him.

Anyway, because of this bomb threat, Celestia asked me to have an EOD team help find and disable any other bombs. I wasn’t surprised to hear that there were multiple other devices found. That being said, Princess Luna will be staying on the ship for the foreseeable future. There was a team of guards searching her room for additional bombs. Unfortunately, one of the guards did find one. Too bad it went off only seconds later. Thankfully no one was hurt. However, most of her room was destroyed by the blast.

Well I better wrap this up, it’s going to be an early day tomorrow. Celestia has asked me to sit in on the interrogation of six individuals who are believed to have planted the bombs.

//End Log

Trent, Mikey, and Lucas slowly made their way through the castle with an escort of four Royal Guards. Their mission was to locate and disable any hidden explosives. They had already thoroughly searched the kitchen and dining room. Four devices were found and promptly disabled. Another group of marines had then come along and collected the disabled explosives.

The group then began heading up a large set of spiral stairs. The two guards in the front said they were heading to a very important area of the castle. The group walked in silence until they reached a massive wooden door with gold trim on the edges.

“So, what’s behind the big doors?” Mikey asked out loud.

“This,” the guard in front began, “is Princess Celestia’s personal quarters.”

“Huh... shiney.” Mikey said with a grin. However, no one could see his face due to his visor being polarized.

As the guard reached for the door, Trent’s hand shot out and grabbed his hoof.

“Allow me.” The SPARTAN said calmly. The guard slowly retracted his hoof and backed away from the door. Trent pulled out a small fiber optic camera and plugged it into a jack in his helmet. He then slid the other end under the door and began to do an initial sweep.

After a few minutes, Trent was satisfied that the door was safe and clear of any explosives. He retracted the camera and carefully packed it away. The SPARTAN slowly turned the door handle and cautiously opened the door. The inside was well lit by the massive window that led to a large balcony. It was an elaborate room; cushions were arranged in front of a grand fireplace and a large four post bed sat against the opposite wall. There were a few bookshelves along the wall, all filled with various old tomes and other trinkets.

There was a door on the far wall near the balcony which Trent assumed was a bathroom. He looked over to Lucas and the other two guards.

“Lucas, I want you and two guards to sweep the bathroom over there. Let me know if you find anything suspicious.”

“You got it boss.” The ODST and two guards carefully made their way to the bathroom door. Trent then turned his attention back to the bedroom and began to look around. He stood incredibly still, allowing only his eyes to move. Eventually one of the guards approached the SPARTAN.

“A-are you gonna start looking for bombs?” The guard asked quietly.

“Hmm, not yet. The first thing I like to do is to really look at the area. Then I think of where I would hide a bomb if I wanted to cause the most damage. I can assume that the intent here would be to kill the Princess, while making sure the device was well hidden.”

“So, maybe under the bed?”

“Doubt it. So far we have seen two signatures, meaning there are two groups planting these bombs. One group is experienced, while the other has no idea what they are doing. The bomb that Andrew identified was one of the amateurs. The ones we found in the kitchen were well hidden and had creative detonators.”

“So you think that the professionals hid one in here?”

“I would be disappointed if they didn’t.”

“Okay, so where would you hide it then?”

“Somewhere near the bed. I would want the Princess to be stationary when the bomb exploded. So,” the SPARTAN cautiously approached the massive bed, “we just need to look for any signs of disturbance.” He cautiously removed the top comforter and sheets, leaving them in a pile by the door. The guard just watched in wonder as the SPARTAN carefully but systematically removed the covers from the bed.

He then switched on his helmet light and turned his attention to the mattresses. He continued his search for a few minutes before something caught his eye. A small silver wire was barely visible between the mattress and the box spring. He followed the wire until it reached one of the four posts.

“Why you crafty son of a bitch...” He muttered to himself. The nearby guard heard him as his ears perked up.

“Find something?”

“Yeah, this guy is good. Like, really good.”

“W-what is it?” The guard asked with nervousness.

The SPARTAN didn’t answer him as he followed the wire along the bed. The wire soon disappeared under the mattress again. Trent responded by searching every edge of the bed for signs of the silver wire. Just below the pillows was the familiar sight. He slowly began to remove the fluffy pillows, revealing a small black pressure square.

“You sneaky bastard...” The SPARTAN said with a chuckle. He carefully pulled a multi-tool from a pouch on his breastplate and flipped it open, revealing a pair of pliers. With a steady hand, he slipped the silver wire between the cutting edge at the base. With a flex of his hand, the wire was severed. A long second passed before he let out a sigh of relief.

Trent returned the tool to it’s pouch before standing up. He grabbed the edge of the mattress and slid it onto the floor. Underneath were a number of small wires, each leading to the four posts of the bed. Trent couldn’t believe the ingenuity that this individual had used in planting the bomb, or in this case four bombs.

“Mikey! I need your help with this.” Trent called out.

Mikey was guarding the doorway against any uninvited visitors. He quickly left his position in the doorway and moved to assist the SPARTAN.

“What’s up?” Mikey asked.

“You’re gonna help me remove the bed posts.”

“Uh, why?”

“They’re filled with explosives.”

The ODST blinked in confusion, his face still hidden behind the dark blue visor. “What kind of explosive?”

“Judging from the electric detonation system, I would assume a type of plastic explosive.”

“Are we going to check before fucking with them?”

“Of course. Let’s remove this first post nice and slow.”

“Okay.” The SPARTAN and ODST slowly lifted the bedpost from the frame. The two then very slowly laid the post on the ground. Trent then used his knife to scrape out a small piece of the explosive inside. It was a pale, putty like material.

“Yeah, it’s a plastic.”

“So it won’t go boom if we touch it?”

“No. It’s safe.”

“Oh good. I would like to keep all my limbs and fingers.”

The SPARTAN turned to the ODST. “And yet you signed up for EOD?”

“...Shut up.” Mickey grumbled, Trent laughed. The door to the bathroom opened as Lucas and the two guards exited.

“Well, bathroom’s clear.” Lucas announced.

“Good, come help us with these posts.” The SPARTAN ordered.

Lucas and the guards began removing the other posts, carefully laying them next to the others. Soon there were four identical bedposts laying on the ground.

“Alright, let’s get these down to the ship.” Trent quickly picked up all four posts before anyone else could move.

“Uh, Trent, do you want some help with that?” Mikey asked.

“Nah, I got it.”

The group left the Princess’s room with Trent carrying all four posts. As soon as the doors were closed, Lucas pulled out a roll of red tape. He made a single long line, covering the area where the door met the frame. It was a tamper seal, if anyone from then on opened the door, they would know.

The group were beginning to make their way down the tower when something shook the tower. A second later, a defining explosion shattered almost every window in the tower. The explosion was close, not more than a few hundred feet away. Everyone quickly moved to a blown out window to see where the blast had come from.

Sure enough, the tower opposite them was billowing smoke through a large gaping hole in the wall. A slight glow of fire could be seen through cracked and shattered windows. Mikey and Lucas looked to the others in the group, all eyes were affixed to the burning tower. Trent was the first to speak up.

“Hey guys, what was in that tower?”

“That looks like where Princess Luna’s room was.” One of the guards responded.

There was dead silence in the room as everyone processed what had been said. The sounds of yelling and hooves on marble could be heard throughout the surrounding area as fire alarms began ringing.

“Mikey, Lucas, take these back to the ship. Tell them what happened.” Trent said with a placid tone. Everyone began moving down the tower and to their destinations. The two ODSTs jogged with all four bombs back to the ship, while Trent and the guards all sprinted to the nearby tower.

~~~

Daniel was sitting in his ship’s conference room with Celestia, Luna, and Coalfeather. They were discussing the findings of the EOD teams, as well as who may have been responsible.

“Alright, Princess Celestia, do we have any idea of who might have left these devices?” Daniel asked.

“Not yet, but I would like to start ruling out suspects.” Celestia replied.

“Alright, what do we know for sure?” Luna asked.

“Well, the Emperor and his guards were with us all morning, and the guards outside their rooms reported that they were there all night.” Celestia said.

“Plus, I would not think of harming the ponies and humans who had saved my life.” The Emperor said in his own defence.

“I can vouch for my crew. No one but me left the ship last night, nor are we missing any ordnance.” The Captain stated.

“I am waiting on Captain Silverlight to get a report of all the guard positions last night and this morning.” Celestia said.

“Anything else?” The Captain asked. No one spoke up. “Alright, I can have Andrew take a look at the devices. He might be able to tell us where they were made, and who made them.” Daniel sighed and looked out the window. He was met with a view of the castle gardens and bright sunlight. It would have been brighter if the windows didn’t automatically polarize, reducing the amount of light that shone through.

However, before anyone could speak a thunderous boom echoed through the ship. Everyone looked around in confusion as they tried to pinpoint where the sound had come from. Tommy then materialized on the conference table.

“Sir, we have reports of an explosion in the castle. A single tower has been severely damaged and fires have been reported.” The AI said calmly.

“Casualties?” The Captain asked.

“Unknown sir. Chevron three is responding. Corporal Binkley and Gunnery Sergeant Caffee are en route back to the ship with explosives found in Princess Celesita’s quarters.”

“Alright, alert medical that they might be receiving casualties. Do we know what was destroyed?”

“One moment, sir.” The AI stood on the table for a moment as he processed data. “Sir, reports are stating that the explosion originated inside Princess Luna’s quarters.”

Luna’s face became overwhelmed with anger. “You have got to be bucking kidding me!” She practically shouted.

“These reports have not yet been confirmed. However, numerous sources are reporting the same location.”

“Is there anything left?” The lunar Princess asked, still clearly angry.

“Unknown. Apologies, ma’am.”

Luna set her chin on the table as she sat in her chair, a scowl dominating her face. “Well this bucking sucks. Why did MY room have to get blown up?!”

“I’m just glad you weren’t in the room.” Celestia said, trying to lighten the mood.

“Besides, now you have another reason to stay on the ship.” Daniel said with a chuckle.

“I suppose.” Luna sighed.

“Alright, first things first. Tommy, sound general quarters.”

“Aye sir.” The general quarters alarm began blaring in every compartment on every deck, signaling it was time for action.

“Celestia, do you want my crew to help fight the fires?” Daniel asked.

“That won’t be necessary. I don’t want to put your crew in any more risk than they currently are.” Celestia replied with a shake of her head.

“Alright. I’ll have everyone sit tight.”

~~~

It was a few hours later when the sun finally set over Canterlot. The fires had been extinguished quickly, but smoke still wafted out of the gaping hole in the tower. Princess Luna had been up to what was left of her room in order to recover anything that the fire and blast had spared. Not much was left, but Luna had managed to save a few things. She had packed what was left into a duffle bag and slung it across her back with a loud sigh.

Daniel was waiting outside her chambers as she walked out with the single bag. He raised an eyebrow in surprise at the single bag.

“That’s it?” He asked with surprise.

“Yeah, this is it.” Luna grumbled.

“Damn, I’m so sorry.”

“Well at least I didn’t have all that much to lose. Most of the important things survived the fire.”

“I guess there’s that. C’mon, let’s head back.” Daniel turned to head back down the stairs with Luna in tow. A pair of castle workers passed the pair on the stairs, carrying a large rolled up tarp. Security around and inside the castle had been bolstered and all public access had been shut down.

EOD had reported that a total of twenty two bombs had been found in various locations around the castle. The only bomb to have gone off was the one in Luna’s room. The rest of the devices were being held under heavy guard by the crew of the Tuscany. Daniel really wanted to just pile them all together and throw in a grenade, but it was doubtful that Celestia would be okay with him setting off a few hundred pounds of high explosives and incendiaries. Eventually the two reached the landing ramp of the ship. Marines and ODSTs stood at attention with weapons ready, the entire ship was on high alert after the first bomb was found.

Captain Ryan and Luna boarded the ship without so much as a word spoken. It was clear to the Captain that Luna was almost boiling with anger. Not only had someone destroyed her belongings, but someone had tried to kill her and her sister. Daniel proceeded to walk Luna to her temporary quarters. The lunar Princess walked in and deposited her duffle bag on the bed with a sigh. Daniel just stood in the doorway as she slumped against the wall.

“You okay?” Daniel asked.

Luna just sighed again. “No, no I’m not. Somepony has spent the last day trying to kill me and my sister. I can’t remember the last time somepony made an attempt on either of our lives. So this,” she waved a hoof in the air, “is all a bit overwhelming.”

“Having someone try to blow you up and being forced to take refuge on a spaceship with an alien race that is easily half a millennium more advanced... yeah, I understand completely.” Daniel walked into her room and took a seat on the floor next to the Princess. “This is gonna sound weird, but I would recommend talking to Chef.”

Luna turned to face Daniel. “Chef? As in an actual chef?”

“Yeah. It’s the unbelievably unoriginal nickname we gave the ship’s cook. Not only can he cook incredibly well, but he is also great if you need someone insightful to talk to.”

“You’re serious... aren’t you?”

Daniel just nodded his head. Luna looked to her duffle bag and then to the door. “Maybe I’ll give it a shot.”

“I think you’ll be surprised just how helpful he can be.” Daniel patted her on the shoulder before standing up. “Well, you know where and how to find me.” The human quietly left the room, leaving Luna to her thoughts.

The Princess sat there and came to a realization; it was almost midnight and she hadn’t eaten all day. With a heavy sigh she got up and removed her crown, setting it on the night stand. She then made her way toward the galley. The humans she passed in the hallway gave her polite nods as they walked by. She returned their gestures with a smile and a nod of her own.

It was odd, Luna had only known these humans for about a week, and yet they showed her nothing but kindness and respect. It was something she made a mental note to ask Chef about. She wouldn’t have to wait long to get her answers and her meal, as the galley was only three compartments away. She silently entered the room and began to look around.

Inside were a handful of humans, all quietly taking among themselves and generally enjoying their evening meal. A few of them shot curious glances toward Luna, but generally paid her little heed. The Princess walked up to the counter where a stack of trays were waiting. She levitated a tray off the top and moved down the counter. There were a five buffet trays set out for her to pick and choose from. She scooped some cheesy macaroni onto her plate, followed by some mashed potatoes and finally a hearty helping of salad. She quickly passed by the tray of cooked chicken.

She sat at a table near the window, giving her a view of the night sky she had worked to create. A few crew members were also gazing at the stars from their tables. It made Luna happy seeing them truly enjoying her work. She just wished more of her ponies would do the same. Her smile faded as this thought crossed her mind. With a sigh, she banished the thought and began to work on her meal.

She became lost in thought as she reflected on the past seven years. How difficult it was to adjust to a thousand years of change. The only thing that didn’t seem to have changed over all those years, were ponies impressions of her. Even after her banishment had ended, many ponies still treated her with distrust. This train of thought was suddenly broken by the sound of someone clearing their throat. Luna looked up to see a human in an apron standing by her table.

“Seat taken?” The human asked.

Luna blinked a few times, trying to process what he said. The human in front of her was a bit older than most of the others she had seen and met. He stood at about five foot nine and had a head of thick brown hair with signs of greying at the edges. “Uh, no. Go right ahead.”

“Thanks.” The human said as he sat across from the Princess. “You alright? You’re lookin’ troubled by something.”

“It’s nothing. Just some foalish thoughts.” She said, trying to dismiss her previous thoughts.

“Oh now, I wouldn’t say that. They’re certainly important, otherwise they wouldn’t be causin’ you such troubles.” He said with a warm smile.

“How could you possibly know that?” Luna asked with curiosity.

“Why, I can always tell when somethin’s bothering one of mine.”

“I’m not exactly ‘one of yours’ per say.”

“Sure ya are. Just because you’re not be an official member of the crew, doesn’t mean you won’t be treated like one.”

“You talk about the crew like they’re your children.”

“They might as well be. They’re always comin’ to me for advice or for someone to talk to. Hell, there ain't a soul on board that hasn’t sought my counsel. Even them SPARTANs have come to me.” The man’s warm smile never faded from his face.

Luna eyed the man curiously. “You must be Chef.”

“Indeed I am. Cap’n tell you about me?”

“Yeah, he said it would be a good idea to come talk to you.”

“I bet he did. Especially with what happened today, terribly sorry by the way.”

“You heard about it?” Luna said as her ears went flat against her head in shame.

“Yup, felt it too.” Chef noticed her change in posture. “Now hold on, there ain’t nothin’ to be ashamed of. You’re here, and you’re alive. I’d call it a successful day.”

Luna chuckled and relaxed a bit. “I suppose you’re right. The only thing that was lost were some trinkets and such. Things that can be replaced.”

Chef paused for a moment, glancing through the window toward the night sky. “So I take it you will be staying with us for the foreseeable future?”

Luna nodded as she continued her meal. “Yes. While there are plenty of places for me to stay in the castle, I would feel more comfortable staying here. I’m less likely to be blown up in my sleep.”

“This is very true. I can only feel sorry for the poor fool who tries to attack this ship.”

“Why would you ever feel sorry for somepony who attacked you?”

“Have you heard the term ‘Kick the hornets nest’?”

“No, but we have a similar saying.”

“Well it’s kinda like that. Except these hornets are super augmented space marine hornets with nuclear weapons and a spaceship.”

This elicited a series of giggles from Luna. “That’s an interesting way of describing it.” Luna said as she finished her dinner. “Chef, that tasted great.”

“I’m glad you think so. Main meals are served starting at six in the morning, lunch is at thirteen hundred hours, and dinner starts at eighteen hundred. But you can always come by at any time in between and I’ll happily make something. Also, I always keep two pots of coffee and a pot of hot water going.” Chef pointed to the three pots sitting on a small table near the end of the food line.

“That’s very kind of you. Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. You’re an honorary crew member now.”

Tommy then materialized on a nearby display pad. The AI faced Luna and Chef before speaking.

“Princess, Captain Ryan has requested your presence on the bridge as soon as possible.”

Luna nodded. “Alright, tell him I’ll be right there.” Tommy nodded before blinking out of view. Chef then stood up and picked up Luna’s tray.

“You head on up to the bridge. I’ll take care of this.” Chef said as he walked back to the kitchen.

“Thanks again Chef.” Luna sat there for a moment trying to think of where the bridge was. She remembered it was on the uppermost deck at the bow of the ship. Satisfied with this, her horn lit up as she disappeared in a flash of light.

Luna rematerialized on the bridge, much to the surprise of the crew who were there. Daniel and Celestia were standing at opposite sides of the holographic display in the middle of the room. “You needed me for something?” Luna asked.

Daniel stammered for a moment as he tried to process what had just happened.

“Uh, yeah... that was fast.”

“Site to site teleport spell.”

“Huh, that’s pretty cool. Anyway, we have a slight situation.” He pressed a few buttons on the display console. A view of the Tuscany came into view. The ship sat in the middle of a green circle, two yellow dots could be seen next to the doors leading from the gardens into the castle. A set of three more yellow dots were off to the side of the ship, only fifty feet from the green circle.

“What’s going on?” Luna asked.

“Our proximity sensors picked up these three contacts moving off the port side wing.” Daniel pointed to the three yellow dots.

“So a group of guards are on patrol.” Celestia responded.

“That’s what we thought. Except they have been standing there for almost an hour. The only thing there is a large rose bush.”

“I see. I’ll summon Captain Silverlight, perhaps he will know more.” Celestia’s horn began to glow as she reached out to the guard captain.

“What’s with the green circle? Some kind of perimeter?” Luna asked.

“It’s the border of our optical cloak. As long as they stay on that side of it they won’t be able to see us. However, anyone can just walk right through it.”

“Yet you can still see out.”

“Exactly. Don’t ask how because I have no idea how it works. All I know is that it does.”

Not long after, a new dot appeared on the display. This one was moving straight toward the cloaked starship.

“Looks like your Captain is here.” Daniel then reached for the intercom. “Security, let him through. Have someone escort him to the bridge.”

“Aye sir.” A voice replied.

A few minutes later, the bulkhead doors slid open as a marine and Captain Silverlight entered. Silverlight looked around in wonder for a moment before walking up to the waiting Princesses. He stopped at the table and popped a quick salute.

“You wanted to see me, Princess?”

“Yes, are any of your guards scheduled to patrol the gardens this evening?”

The guard Captain thought for a moment. “No your Highness. This area has been off limits since this morning.”

“I see. Then can you explain what three guards are doing out here at this hour?” Daniel then brought up a live camera feed from one of the ship’s hull cameras. Even in the darkness, the one unicorn and two pegasi were clearly visible.

“I have no idea. I’ll make sure to reprimand them for this.” Silverlight turned to leave, but was stopped by Daniel.

“Wait! Don’t confront them. I want to see what they do first.”

Silverlight looked at Daniel with confusion, then to Celestia. The solar Princess just nodded. “Alright. What are hoping to accomplish?”

Before Captain Ryan could answer, Tommy appeared on the corner of the display table.

“Sir, all three are now moving towards the ship. They will reach the cloaking field in fifteen seconds.”

“Copy that. Can you tell me anything else?”

“Negative sir.”

Everyone at the table could only watch as the three yellow dots approached the green circle denoting the border of the ship’s cloaking field.

“Captain, they have stopped just outside the field.”

Daniel retrained a hull camera on the group. He watched as the unicorn’s horn began to glow with a dull blue light before the entire group disappeared. “Did they just teleport somewhere?”

“No, a teleport would have had a bit more flash to it. That looked like an invisibility spell.” Luna replied.

“Huh, that’s cute. Tommy, are they still on proximity sensors?”

“Yes sir. They have now crossed under the field. Their speed as increased as well.”

“Switch to thermal imaging.”

“Aye sir.” The camera that Daniel was using quickly changed from the normal color view to an enhanced thermal imaging view. The ground and sky soon became differing shades of black and grey, while the visible parts of the ship were a bit brighter. However, the three invisible ponies were glowing bright white against a dark background.

“Oh look. I found them.” Daniel deadpanned. “Tommy, are they doing what I think they are doing?”

The AI nodded. “It does appear they are attaching something to our hull.”

“How peculiar.” Daniel said with a smirk. He then reached for his radio. “Security, we have a situation under our port side wing. I need a team to deal with this immediately.” Daniel then looked to Celestia. “Can I have them engage with non-lethal weapons?”

The solar Princess nodded. “As long as they try to take them peacefully first.” Daniel nodded in understanding.

“You are clear to engage with non-lethal ammunition. But try to take them without a fight first.”

“Aye sir.” Came the reply. “Staff Sergeant Kelly Verrez, Master Sergeant Ahmad Anas, and SPARTAN Raze are responding.”

“Wow, two ODSTs and a SPARTAN. That’s quite the team.” Daniel said with an amused smile. He pressed a few buttons on the display console and brought up the helmet camera feed for Raze.

The SPARTAN’s HUD popped up in a small portion of the holographic display. He was following closely behind the two ODSTs who were both equipped with silenced SMGs, while Raze was carrying a combat shotgun. Everyone on the bridge watched as the scene unfolded.

~~~

Lieutenant Commander Raze, along with the two ODSTs, silently crept beneath the Tuscany. The sound of their movements were drowned out by the various humming sounds emanating from the ship. Even though Raze was wearing GUNGNIR armor, he was still able to move silently through the grass. Just beyond the port side landing strut was where the bridge had reported three cloaked ponies. Thankfully, Raze had come prepared for this. He toggled on his armor ability and began to peer through the darkness.

With the help of a Prothean Vision armor unit, he was able to quickly locate and mark all three ponies. Even looking around, he could see various members of the crew moving about inside the ship. he chuckled to himself as he turned back to his targets. All three were now within thirty feet of the ponies, who were still trying to attach something to the ship’s hull. They seemed to be whispering something, but it was too faint for either the SPARTAN or the ODSTs to hear.

“Alright boys and girls, time to announce our presence.” Raze said over the radio.

“On your mark, LT.” Kelly replied.

“Remember, Captain wants them to come peacefully, but we can sure as hell take them by force if they want to be difficult.” Raze reminded the other two.

“Copy that.” Both ODSTs replied.

“On my mark. Three.”

“Two.”

“One.”

“Mark.”

All three soldiers ran forward and ambushed their unsuspecting prey.

“All of you! On the ground! Now!” The SPARTAN yelled in a commanding voice. The unicorn, startled by the sudden intrusion, dropped the invisibility spell, revealing the three ponies. One of the pegasi quickly tried to take to the sky, but ended up running into the wing of the ship directly above his head. Ahmad quickly fired a few rounds into the pegasus, temporarily paralyzing him in multiple places. The unicorn then began charging a spell as the other pegasus tried to flee on hoof. Raze noticed the unicorn’s spell and countered with a single shotgun blast to the chest. Kelly and Ahmad both began firing on the remaining pegasus as he tried to run. Unfortunately he was unable to outrun the hail of bullets as almost every single one collided with him.

In a matter of seconds, all three ponies were covered in pink markings where the stun rounds had hit. All they could do was moan in pain as the three soldiers unceremoniously began picking them up. Raze had no problem hefting the unicorn over his shoulder, while the two ODSTs had to carry one pegasus between them. Another pair of marines joined them and retrieved the last pegasus.

The SPARTAN chuckled as he walked back to the ship. “You should have just listened.” The unicorn on his shoulder responded with another moan of pain.

~~~

Daniel, the Princesses, and Silverlight watched on the thermal camera as the three man team quickly overwhelmed and subdued the three ponies. Daniel almost felt bad for sending a SPARTAN after them. Almost.

“So, where do you want them?” Daniel asked no one in particular.

“Captain Silverlight, can you see to it that they are taken to the dungeon?” Celestia asked.

Silverlight nodded with a salute. “Of course, your Highness.” Silverlight then turned to his marine escort and left the bridge.

Daniel once again reached for this radio. “Hey, Andrew. Grab Trent and go check out what those guys were trying to stick to the ship.”

“Okay, let me just get down from my hammock.” Andrew’s voice replied for all to hear.

“Why the hell do you even sleep in the engine room?”

“Because the engines talk to me in my sleep.”

“The engines talk to you?”

“Uh huh.”

“And what do they tell you?”

“One sec... they say... you’re a fucking faggot.”

“God damnit... I should’ve seen that coming.” Daniel said with a sigh. Celestia looked worried while Luna was trying to stifle laughter.

“You really should’ve. Anyway, I’ll go grab Trent.” The radio went silent as Daniel set it on the table.

“Didn’t you say that you two were good friends?” Celestia asked with concern.

“Yeah. It’s a guy thing. Most human male friendships revolve around the creative use of insults and belittling comments. The harsher the insult, the closer the friendship.” Daniel said with a shrug.

“That’s... odd...” Celestia replied. The notion of using insults to express friendship was something she couldn’t fathom.

“You get used to it.”

Celestia yawned and shook her head slowly. “Well then. Since it seems the excitement has died down I feel that this would be a lovely opportunity for me to retire for the night. I will contact you tomorrow when we get information from our would-be bombers. Have a nice night Captain.”

“Goodnight Princess.” Celestia vanished in a flash of light as she teleported away. “That’s way too flashy for me.”

Luna just gave stared at him stonefaced. “That pun was bad, and you should feel bad.”

“And yet I don’t.” Daniel said with a grin.

Luna just shook her head with a smile. “Well then, I think I’ll follow my sister’s example and go to bed. It’s been a long day.”

“Goodnight then. I’m not far behind you. Just gotta wrap up some things here.”

Luna nodded in acknowledgment before teleporting to her room.

“Stupid, flashy, teleporting, magical, talking ponies.” He muttered.

~~~

The next morning was like every other for the Captain. Get up with the sun, get dressed, have breakfast, read confusing reports from the science labs, throw said datapad on the floor in frustration, storm off to the bridge. The usual.

Daniel was sitting in his chair on the bridge trying to make himself look busy, in reality he was playing Tetris on his datapad. The sound of the bulkhead doors opening brought his attention away from his “work”. Luna casually walked in and sat right next to Daniel’s chair.

“Morning.” The Princess greeted.

“Morning. Sleep well?”

“Meh, I was up late.”

“Ah.” The Captain set the datapad on the arm of his chair as he turned to face the Princess. “I was wondering, last night you said it had been quite a while since anyone had made an attempt on your life. Do you remember how recent it was?”

“No, as I said, it was a long time ago.”

“I couldn’t have been that long ago.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, there’s no way you’re old enough to not remember the last time someone tried to kill you.”

Luna looked at him in slight confusion. “How old do you think I am?”

Daniel’s eyes went wide. “Woah, woah, woah. A very wise admiral once said ‘It’s a trap!’ And this, this is a blatant trap.”

“Admiral Ackbar said that. And no, this isn’t a trap. I just wanted to see what you thought.”

Daniel’s jaw was on the floor five decks down. “H-how do you know that glorious name?”

“I... may have stayed up all night watching the six Star Wars films in the ship’s library.”

“I...I... wait, which one is your favorite?” His tone becoming serious.

“The Empire Strikes Back. Why?” Luna was startled as Daniel lunged out of his chair and wrapped his arms around her neck in a hug.

“I love you.” He said with his face buried in her fur. He suddenly looked up at her, still wrapped around her neck. “What did you think of Jar Jar Binks in episodes one and two?”

“Eh, I found him rather annoying. I kept finding myself wishing he would take a blaster to the head. If for nothing else than to leave him unable to speak.”

Daniel just blinked and smiled. “Yup. I love you. Not a doubt in my mind.”

It was at this point that Commander Zerom walked in. The first thing he saw was Daniel, half out of his chair hanging on to the neck of Princess Luna. Both seemed to be happy about something.

“Uh, Captain. What the fuck are you doing?”

“Go on Luna. Tell him what you told me.” Daniel said happily.

“Okay. My favorite film is Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and Jar Jar Binks is an abomination.”

Zerom’s jaw hung open as he stared at the Princess. He walked forward and joined the hug. “This is the best day ever.”

Luna happily wrapped her wings around the two humans and smiled. She felt that she truly had friends with these humans. Even though she had only known them for a week, they were more welcoming than her own ponies. Most ponies looked at her in fear or even resentment at times. The alien visitors in her backyard, though, treated her like a friend.

Author's Note:

Well here we are again, it's always such a pleasure.

Anyway, this chapter was a lot of fun to write. It was also the chapter that took the most time to edit and polish.

So yeah, the Tuscany only has the first six Star Wars movies. They forgot to download the others. And yes, Luna loved The Empire Strikes Back.

What's your favorite Star Wars movie?

Questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you didn't like, haiku poetry, drop em bellow.

Save the environment, press the green thumb.