• Published 6th May 2013
  • 17,722 Views, 1,472 Comments

Voidrunner - The DM



Colonizing space is never easy nor is it ever predictable. Each planet presents it's own challenges and it's own rewards.

  • ...
62
 1,472
 17,722

May 16th, 2559

//Begin Personal Log

//

//May 16th 2559

//

//23:11 Local Time

Can I just start by saying how this planet never ceases to amaze me? Not only have we met magical talking ponies, found about the existence of multiple sentient races, and broken almost every law of physics, but now we have found another race of magical shapeshifting pony-like things. Surprise, they’re called changelings.

Anyway, so the field survey team that we sent out today brought back this changeling. Oh, and Celestia and Luna are less than happy about it. The two of them can’t fathom why I didn’t just kill the thing when it arrived. Frankly, I know nothing about this new race. Celestia seems to think it is the spawn of Satan and Luna won’t even look at it. The only reason Celestia didn’t squash it was because I convinced her to let me keep it on the ship.

I wonder what could cause such a reaction in the Princesses...

//End Log

It was the morning of the sixteenth of May. Five days since the bombing incident in Canterlot castle. Six guards had been arrested for treason, attempted murder, attacking foreign dignitaries, domestic terrorism, and a number of other charges. For the past few days, Princess Celestia had tried to get them to talk. Unfortunately they were proving to be more difficult to crack than anyone had anticipated. Nevertheless, life continued.

In the spirit of further exploration and scientific advancement, Captain Ryan had obtained permission from Princess Celestia to send a survey team to the edge of the Everfree Forest to collect various samples. Biology wanted to get soil samples and plant samples, while geology wanted to go rock hunting. Celestia had granted their request and sent a handful of guards to help guide the scientists.

Sergeant James Hodges and Lance Corporal Yaraon Morrow were not happy to be up before the sun had even come up; even ODST’s liked their beauty sleep. The two men were taking their time getting into their armor as well as grabbing the weapons they would need. Their role in the mission would to be to acts as a security team for the scientists. After the hydra incident, Captain Ryan had insisted that they bring heavy weapons. Sergeant Hodges had already picked up his battle rifle as well as a SPARTAN laser. Corporal Morrow just stared in shock at his weapon choice.

“Good god man. I thought we were a security team, not dragon hunters.” Yaraon said.

“I’m taking no chances after hearing about that fucking hydra. Who knows what other bat shit crazy things live on this planet. Besides, dragons are real here.”

Yaraon just blinked at his fellow ODST. “Good point.” He then got up from the bench and walked to the weapon locker. His assault rifle was waiting for him on the wall rack with his name above it. James had to stifle a bout of laughter as Yaraon walked back with a rocket launcher.

“When in Rome.” Yaraon said.

~~~

It was early morning when the expedition group, consisting of five royal guards, four marines, two ODSTs, Doctor Karen Yarow, Doctor Glenn Quin, Doctor Parker Varez, and a handful of lab techs, all left on a pair of Pelican dropships. It was a twenty minute flight to the edge of the forest; their destination happened to be the original landing site for the ship.

The aircraft flew low with their loading ramps dropped down, giving a magnificent view of the landscape below as they sped toward the forest. The group sat in silence as they passed over rolling green hills. The royal guards on board were mesmerized by the sheer speed the Pelicans were capable of. As the royal guards watched the landscape fly by, the lab techs were double checking their equipment and notebooks. Doctor Yarrow, head of the xenobiology lab, was especially excited for this mission. It would be her first time getting to closely study the life forms of the planet.

It wasn’t long before the Pelicans began to slow down as their destination loomed. The air in both cabins was filled with excitement and nervousness as the landing gear finally made contact with the ground. Sergeant Hodges and Lance Corporal Yarrow were the first ones off the Pelicans, followed by the marines and guards. The aircraft kept their engines running, just in case they needed to make a quick escape.

James quickly brought his rifle up and began scanning the surrounding area through his scope. “All clear. Go ahead and start unloading.”

The sound of aircraft engines slowly died down and the rest of the team disembarked. It was a beautiful day, a few small clouds were the only thing that stood out against the vibrant blue sky. A light breeze kept the heat of sun at a comfortable level. All in all, it was a perfect day for science in Equestria. Even the royal guards seemed to be enjoying their outing.

Soon everyone was quickly unloading various cases of scientific equipment. Each team had brought about four hard cases full of survey equipment. Things like shovels and hand picks to handheld spectrometers. Once their equipment was gathered near the aircraft, James spoke up.

“Alright. Everyone gather round so we can get this started.” Everyone moved to form a semicircle around the ODST. “So here’s how this is going to work. There will be two troopers for each survey team. The rest will be on overwatch by the edge of the forest. I want a single royal guard with each team. They know what’s dangerous and what isn’t. Listen to them and trust their judgment.” James paused to look at his crowd before continuing. “Now, if something goes wrong, I want everyone to get back to the Pelicans as quickly as possible. Last time we were here a fucking hydra came stomping out of the woods, so let’s try to avoid that. Questions?”

Doctor Parker Varez raised his hand. “How long do we have?”

“Did you read the briefing that was sent to everyone last night?” James asked with slight annoyance.

“I did. I just want to be sure that it hasn’t changed.”

“Until sundown. Anyone else?” No one moved. “Alright, get your escorts and go do whatever it is you sciencey guys do.” James then turned to face the remaining marines and guards. “Keep an eye on your motion trackers. Pay extra attention to the forest. If you see something, say something. Clear?”

“Yes Sergeant!” They all called out in unison.

“Glad to hear it.”

~~~

It was just after midday as everyone was having a lunch break in the shade of the Pelican wings. Doctor Karen Yarrow was passing around a specimen they had found near the edge of the woods. It looked like just a normal blue flower, except it was secured in a level three biohazard container. Eventually the container made its way to James.

“So Karen, what’s with this flower?” James asked.

“That, is called Poison Joke.” James just looked at her with an incredulous looks. “No, seriously. Our pony guide said so. Apparently it functions like Poison Oak, but instead of a rash it causes a practical joke.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

“I’m serious. He said there was someone who came into contact with it and her voice was dropped by about four octaves. Then there was a unicorn whose horn became spotted and had the firmness of a wet dish towel.”

“But none of our guys touched it?”

“No. The proper handling procedures were used. The unicorn with us helped pick it up.”

“Okay good. I would hate having to explain to the Captain why one of the lab techies came back covered in polka dots with a third arm coming out of his forehead.”

Sergeant Hodges continued to enjoy his sandwich when he was once again interrupted, this time
by his radio.

“Sergeant, we have something on motion tracker in the forest.” One of the marines reported.

“Alright. Sit tight, I’m on my way.” James wrapped his remaining sandwich and set it down on a crate. He then stood up and slipped his helmet on before picking up his rifle and laser. “Yaraon, lets go. Marines said they found something.”

Both ODSTs made their way to the group of marines and royal guards. They were standing on a nearby hill, watching the forest for signs of movement. One of the marines beckoned them forward.

“Sergeant, we’ve been seeing at least nine contacts moving around in the woods. Nothing visual, just motion trackers.” The marine said.

“Alright then. Let’s try something.” James then took a few steps forward. “Hey! Get the hell away from here!” He shouted at the woods, trying to scare off any wild animals.

Everyone stood in silence, expecting something to happen. Sure enough, all nine yellow dots appeared on their motion sensors, this time they were moving straight for the group at a moderate speed.

“Well that didn’t work.” James said with dripping sarcasm. “Get ready lads.” Every trooper quickly aimed their rifles at the forest, waiting for some horrible monster to come charging at them. “Wait for my order.” James said calmly.

Suddenly, a single black figure came running out of the forest toward the humans and guards. It was small, black, and pony shaped. It had a small black horn and solid blue orbs for eyes with a small pair of fangs. James was unsure of what to make of the creature as it ran straight toward him. It looked afraid, as if something was chasing it. In fact, something was chasing it. Soon after, eight large gryphons came flying out of the woods in pursuit of the pony.

“Uhh... fuck?” James commented.

“Please! Help me!” The black pony screamed at the top of his lungs.

James looked to the guards who seemed to be as confused as him. “Open fire! Take down the gryphons!” James ordered.

The air was soon filled with the sounds of automatic gunfire as marines and ODSTs fired upon the charging gryphons. The lead gryphon was the first to call as a wall of depleted uranium shells tore through his skull and chest. The two behind him were dispatched with an equal number of bullet holes. They continued to fly head first into the gunfire, determined to catch their prey. However, three bursts from a battle rifle was enough to end the hopes of another gryphon.

The gunfire suddenly died out as the human’s weapons fired their last shots. Every marine quickly began scrambling to reload as the four remaining attackers pressed forward. James, however, didn’t bother reloading. He picked up his laser and began charging it at the closest gryphon. His target watched with curiosity as a small red light began emanating from device on the ODST’s shoulder. Two seconds later the weapon discharged in a massive beam of super energized particles. The gryphon was instantly vaporized, leaving nothing but ash behind.

Yaraon then brought up his rocket launcher. He took careful aim at the gryphon in the middle of the three remaining. Looking through the weapon’s sight, he picked his target and kept the weapon trained on it. The weapon gave a solid tone and a green light as it locked on to the gryphon. The ODST let out a slow breath before pulling the trigger.

With a loud pop and a flash of light, the rocket flew toward the gryphon. It took only a second for the weapon to collide with its target, killing it and it’s two friends in a fiery explosion. Everyone kept their weapons up as the black pony got closer.

He was breathing heavily as he sat on his haunches in front of the group. “Th-thanks for that.” He said, panting heavily.

“Who the hell are you?” James demanded; rifle still trained on the newcomer.

“Spotlight. My name... is Spotlight.”

“Okay Spotlight, what the hell are you? Cause you don’t look like any other ponies I have seen.” James looked to the guards, they seemed to be very on edge.

“That’s because I’m a changeling.”

“Okay... I need to call this in.” James then opened a radio channel back to the Tuscany. “Captain Ryan, this is Sergeant Hodges. We have a bit of a situation.”

“What kind of situation, Sergeant?” The Captain replied.

“Sir, we found something called a changeling being chased by eight gryphons, near the edge of the forest.”

“Go on...”

“Well, we were forced to engage the gryphons. Luckily we had superior firepower.”

“So where is this changeling now?”

“With us, sir. I wanted to see what you want us to do with him.”

“You said there was only one of them?”

“Yes sir. He’s exhausted and probably injured.”

There was silence for a moment. “Alright, I’m recalling all of you. Bring this changeling with you. I want to talk to him when you get here.”

“Aye sir. I’ll have us packed up and out of here in a few minutes.”

“Good. I’ll see you when you arrive. I need to talk to the Princesses about this.”

“Aye sir.” The line went dead.

“So James, plan?” Yaraon asked.

James looked to the panting changeling. “Pack everything up. We’re going home.”

“W-what about me?” Spotlight asked with panic.

“You’re coming with us. Captain Ryan would like to speak with you.”

~~~

Daniel stood on the bridge for a moment after talking to his away team. They had just informed him of the changeling and of the gryphons who ambushed them. It was now his responsibility to report this to Princess Celestia. He stared at the holographic display before picking up his hat and walking off the bridge. As he began his walk to the throne room, his mind began milling over the possible implications of a gryphon attack so close to the capital.

Perhaps the insurrection is bleeding over into neighboring nations. Is anyone else having this in their borders? Can the UNSC get involved? Should the UNSC get involved? What about this changeling? I really hope Celestia has a plan.

Daniel’s internal monologue was cut short as he reached the throne room doors. The royal guards gave him a quick nod before opening the door. Inside, Princess Celestia sat on her throne as she read various levitating reports. She looked up and smiled as Daniel walked in.

“Ah, Captain Ryan. How goes your survey team?”

“Not too good. They were ambushed by a group of gryphons just minutes ago. No one was hurt, but all eight gryphons were killed.”

Celestia’s face darkened. “They were ambushed?”

“Yes ma’am. They also found something called a changeling being chased by the gryphons.”

“This changeling, where is it?”

“He is currently with my men on their way back to the ship. I was going to question him when he arrived. I just wanted to inform you of what happened.”

Celestia sat in silence as she lost herself in deep thought. “I want to speak with this changeling as well”

“Fine by me. They should be here in about fifteen minutes.”

“Very well. Shall we?” Celestia got up as she began to walk out of the throne room with Daniel at her side.

~~~

Spotlight was having a really shitty day. He had been forced to sleep in a bush until his pursuers had found him. It had been like this ever since he had escaped Dodge Junction. It seemed no matter where he went, he would be hunted by gryphons. First they had destroyed his hive in the Badlands, then they had attacked the town he had taken refuge in. Now he found himself in the conference room of some hyper advanced alien spacecraft. The alien who had found him, Sergeant James Hodges, sat next to him at the table.

It was not long before Captain Ryan, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna entered the room and took seat opposite the ODST and changeling. Both alicorns stared at the changeling with suspicion and borderline anger.

“Alright. Sergeant, I already have your report on the gryphon attack. What I am interested in is this changeling. So, mister Spotlight, I am Captain Daniel Ryan. This is Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.”

Spotlight dropped his head as he looked at the Princesses. “H-hello.” He said nervously.

“Now, I would like to know why you were being chased. Go back as far as possible.” Daniel said calmly, noticing the changeling’s nervousness.

“Well, it started about seven days ago out in the Badlands where my hive was.”

“Are you a part of Chrysallis’s hive?” Celestia near demanded.

“N-no, your highness. My Queen was Metamorphia. Although Queen Chrysallis’s hive was attacked at about the same time as ours.”

“Attacked by whom?” Luna asked.

“Gryphons. Their airships came in the early morning. We didn’t think anything of it, seeing as how our hive is on a major air trade route. In fact, our hive is often used as a landmark for navigation and as a waystation for travelers. We thought they were just traders heading to Equestria. It was only after they started bombing us did we realize what they really were.” Spotlight just looked down at the table as his ears pinned back against his head.

“By midday they had already killed almost everypony inside. A hooffull of us were able to escape over the Equestrian border and to the town of Dodge Junction.”

“How many escaped?” Celestia asked, her voice still stern and intimidating.

“S-seven. your highness. Only seven.”

“And your Queen?”

“Killed.”

“Go on.” Daniel said.

“So we were allowed to stay at the local Inn. The townsponies had seen the smoke from the Badlands, so when we told them what had happened they were more than willing to let us stay.”

“I really don’t like where this is going.” Daniel commented.

“Then three days ago we came under attack again. The same airships that attacked my hive.”

“Wait, are you saying that gryphons attacked an Equestrian city?” Celestia was now growing angry.

“Y-yes, your highness. Myself and a few ponies were able to escape. Most of them followed the railroad tracks toward Appleoosa. I got separated from them when gryphons began chasing the survivors.”

Pure fury could be seen in Celestia’s eyes as she grit her teeth. “And they chased you into the forest where you were eventually found by the UNSC.”

“Y-yes.”

“I will have multiple detachments of guards sent to Appleoosa at once. I can not fathom how an entire town is destroyed and nothing is said.” Celestia said.

“I may be able to expedite that process. The frigate Grafton should still be in orbit. They said it would be about a week or two to set up a few satellites.”

“What could they do?” Luna asked.

“Well, they have an actual warship. Not an intelligence gatherer. Let’s see if I can get ahold of them.” Daniel pressed a few buttons on the table, causing a screen against the wall to come to life. A few more presses and a video call to the Grafton was started.

“Daniel. How’s it going?” Captain Daviston said with a smile.

“Not good Rich. We have a problem down here.”

“Oh? Am I on a video conference?”

“Yes you are. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, meet Captain Richard Daviston. Commanding officer of the UNSC heavy frigate Grafton.”

“A pleasure to meet you, your highnesses.”

“And to you, Captain.” Luna replied.

“Now how can I help you?”

“Well, I’m transmitting a set of coordinates. I need you to take a look and see if you can spot a group of airships.”

“Alright, one sec.” Richard turned his attention to another screen. Crew members could be seen moving around in the background, going about various tasks. “Yup, I see them. Five airships about four miles north east of a small town.”

“I need you to MAC them.”

“I’m sorry, did you just ask if I would bomb them from orbit?”

“Yes I did. They already burned and murdered two whole cities and are about to do it again.”

“Well when you say it like that.” Daviston turned and began shouting orders. “Veronica, sound general quarters and bring the MAC online!”

“Aye sir.” The feminine AI replied. Alarms began sounding across the ship and crew members could be seen quickly moving to their stations on the bridge.

Captain Daviston then turned back to the conference room. “I’ll patch our video feed through.” A small screen appeared in the corner, showing a top-down view of the advancing airships.

“Sir, MAC is charging and four shells have been loaded.” The AI reported.

“Captain, enemy aircraft are on heading two one nine point three. Speed, forty five knots. Altitude, two one five feet.” A male voice said from off screen.

“Targets acquired.” Said the AI

“Aim for the middle airship.”

“Ready to fire, sir.”

“Cry thunder!”

A loud bang could be heard over the video call as the ship’s massive MAC fired it’s thirty ton projectile at the planet. On the live video feed the airships continued their advance until a small bright object slammed into the top of one of the airships. The shell then continued through the debris and collided with the ground. The shockwave from both impacts was enough to destroy three airships, leaving two of them barely flying. A second bang came from the Grafton as it fired again. The last two airships were trying to turn and run, but to no avail. The second shell tore through the sky and destroyed both remaining craft. All that was left of the invading force was a pair of large craters and flaming wrecks.

“All targets neutralized.” Captain Daviston said.

“Nice shooting Richard.” Daniel commented. Celestia just continued to watch the live feed, staring in awe at the destruction.

“Let me know if you need anything else wiped off the face of the planet.”

“Will do.” Daniel pressed a few buttons and the screen turned off. “So, that issue has been dealt with. The more pressing issue now is the fact that gryphon insurrectionists are bleeding over into neighboring nations.”

“You... you just destroyed them... like it was nothing.” Spotlight stammered.

“Yes. Yes I did. Believe me, there are scarier weapons out there than just an orbital MAC.”

“And just what is a MAC?” Celestia asked.

“Magnetic accelerator cannon. It uses magnets to propel a projectile down the barrel instead of using a chemical propellant.”

“I must say, that was rather impressive. You stopped them from reaching Appleoosa without even being on the planet.” Luna commented.

“Years of practice and plenty of things to practice on.” Daniel replied.

“Well, thank you again for intervening. Now, we still have this changeling to deal with.” Celestia said.

“Look, if he’s going to be an issue then I’ll just keep him on the ship. That way he’s my responsibility.”

The Princess glared at Spotlight. “Fine. However, while he is not on your ship, he must be escorted by one of your crew. Understood?” Celestia said sternly.

“Of course. Sergeant Hodges, please show Spotlight to his quarters.”

“Aye sir.” The ODST and changeling quietly got up and left the room.

“Celestia, I would like to talk about a few things before you go.”

“Do you need me here?” Luna asked.

“You don’t have to stay, but you can if you want.” Daniel replied.

Luna nodded before teleporting back to her room.

“What is it Daniel?” Celestia asked.

“The changelings. You looked like you were about to lunge across the table and strangle him. I’m curious as to why.”

Celestia sighed. “About three years ago, a changeling hive led by Queen Chrysallis invaded Canterlot during my niece's wedding. The changeling Queen even went so far as to take her place in the wedding.”

“So they really can shapeshift?”

“Indeed. It’s why no pony except Twilight knew the real Cadence was gone. Once we exposed the imposter, she had an army of changelings attack the city. It was only because of Shining Armor and Princess Cadence that we were able to beat the invaders.”

“So you despise all changelings because of the actions of a few?”

Celestia sighed deeply. “When you say it like that it sounds incredibly foalish and shallow minded.”

“Look, I totally understand though. Hating an entire race because of the actions of a few. Although, in our conflict we hated them because of the actions of the masses. Kinda similar, but I still get it.”

“I suppose.”

“Here’s a question. What would you do if Queen Chrysallis showed up on your doorstep begging for your help? After all, you did hear that her hive was attacked. So what if the survivors, if any, showed up here?” Daniel had turned his chair to face Celestia. She pondered the thought for a moment.

“I... I’m not sure. While part of me would want to just obliterate them, I would probably hear them out first.”

“Hypothetical, Chrysallis and a very small number of changelings have come to you asking for refuge after their home was destroyed by gryphons, which it sounds like has happened. She has offered you anything as long as she and her changelings are allowed to stay. What are your terms?”

“Unconditional surrender of her hive. She and her changelings would be subject to my rule as long as they were in Equestrian borders.”

Daniel smiled. “Good, now I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of that happening.”

“I know.” Celestia said with another sigh. “What else did you want to talk about?”

“The diplomatic meeting with the other national leaders. I was wondering when that would happen?”

“Yes, the meeting. It was scheduled to take place here in Canterlot just after the Summer Sun Celebration, however, with recent events I am going to try and move it forward. Hopefully to next week.”

“I see. And when do you plan on revealing our existence to the rest of your nation?”

“As soon as possible. News of the attack will reach my ponies, they will need something more positive to keep their spirits up. It has been many generations since Equestria was last in a conflict.”

“Just how many are we talking?”

“It has easily been over nine hundred years.”

“Wow.”

“Indeed. It was a war against a syndicate of diamond dog packs. I personally led the final battle.”

Daniel just stared at her blankly. “You personally led a battle that happened nine hundred years ago?”

“Yes I did. It was the last time I was directly involved in any sort of open combat.”

“So you’re over nine hundred years old?”

“Very much so. How old did you think I was?” Celestia asked with a smirk.

“Again, it’s a trap. Luna tried the exact same thing on me.”

Celestia couldn’t help but laugh. “Oh don’t worry. I just want to hear your answer.”

“I figured you to be about... mid to late thirties.”

Celestia was now fully laughing. “You’re much too kind. I am actually seventeen hundred years old. Give or take a few decades.”

Daniel’s jaw almost hit the table. “Seventeen hundred... as in one thousand seven hundred years?”

“That’s correct.”

“Dear Odin... just how long do alicorns live?”

“Upwards of ten thousand years.”

“I...I...I don’t even know what to think anymore.”

“Luna is only about twelve hundred years old.”

“That’s still well over a millenium!”

“Keep in mind that a thousand of those years was spent banished on the moon.”

“Yeah but... wait, what?”

“Her banishment.” Celestia became worried as Daniel wore a look of utter confusion. “You didn’t know?”

“What do you mean by banished?”

Celestia let out a long sigh. As she was about to begin, Daniel held up a hand to stop her. He was staring at the door as if he expected someone to walk in. Celestia just looked at him and then to the door.

“You might as well come in.” He called out. A few seconds later the door slid open and Princess Luna slowly walked in. A slightly embarrassed look on her face.

“Sorry, I was just wondering what was taking you two so long.” She said sheepishly. “Is everything okay?”

“Not really, but we’re dealing with it. Why don’t you come have a seat. I have the feeling that this next topic involves you.”

Luna noticed the look on Celestia’s face and quickly knew what was coming. Luna quietly walked to the chair next to Daniel.

“Alright. Please continue.” Daniel motioned to Celestia.

“A thousand years ago, I... chose, to banish my sister to the moon. She had become a being of pure evil called Nightmare Moon. Her intent was to overthrow me and bring about an eternal night. However, I used a powerful magical artifact known as the Elements of Harmony to banish her to the surface of the moon.”

“Why?” Daniel looked over at Luna who was staring straight down at the deck with her ears pinned back.

“I let myself get consumed by my jealousy of Celestia. Everypony worked and played in her sunlight, but they hid away and slept during my night. The effort I put into each night sky was ignored and I was shunned by all. I lived in my sister’s shadow for decades. It felt more like ‘Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria, and that one other alicorn that might be related in some way’.” Luna said quietly.

“I used to think that I was forced to banish Luna.” Celestia continued. “Now though, I see I had a choice. It was my neglect that really fueled her feelings of isolation and jealousy. While I was basking in the love of everypony, I was paying little attention to the needs of the pony closest to me. And because of that, she spent a thousand years in absolute isolation.”

“But that all changed, right? I can’t imagine anyone would hold a grudge after a millenium.” Daniel said.

Luna shook her head. “Not quite. Even after my return I still harbored some resentment. Yes the madness had been stripped away by Twilight and her friends, but I still feared Celestia. I thought that she wouldn’t hesitate to banish me again if I made any slip ups. This... this brought it’s own problems. For about two years I fought severe depression and paranoia. It even got to the point where I contemplated... and attempted... suicide. I thought that no matter what I did, everypony would still hate and fear me... Even to this day most ponies avoid me. Those that do face me are usually reduced to nervous wrecks.” Tears were slowly flowing from Luna’s eyes as she continued to look at the deck. Even Celestia seemed to be losing her composure as Luna’s words sank in. Daniel just sat there in shock.

“Lulu... I... I had no idea your depression was... that bad. Why didn’t you come to me?” Celestia asked with choked breath.

“Because I was scared! I had no friends and no one I could confide in. I believed you were just looking for any reason to send me back to the moon.”

The room was deathly silent. No one knew what to say or even if anything should be said. Daniel got up from his chair and wrapped his arms around Luna’s neck. Luna responded by burying her face in his chest and continued to softly cry. Celestia just sat and watched the display before getting up and wrapping both Daniel and Luna in her giant white wings. No one dared move or say anything to ruin the moment.

~~~

Spotlight couldn’t believe his incredibly bad luck. A few days ago his friends and family were murdered and his home burned down. Then a few days later, the kind ponies who took him in were killed and had their homes destroyed. Next he was chased through the woods by angry gryphons. Now here he was, on an alien spaceship in Canterlot. Maybe things were finally looking up. Soon Spotlight’s train of thought was broken by a knock on his door.

“Come on in.” He called out.

The door slid open as Captain Ryan walked in. The left shoulder of his jacket seemed to be wet, but Spotlight quickly dismissed it. “You doing okay Spotlight?”

“Yeah, just getting a feel for everything. Thanks again for this.”

“No problem. Chef wanted me to check if you had any special dietary needs.”

“Well... kinda. Changelings actually feed off of emotional energy, in addition to normal food.” Spotlight said with a shy grin.

“You... feed? Off of emotions?”

“Yeah.”

“That... that is the coolest thing ever.”

“Wait... really?”

“Hell yeah dude! I didn’t think anything could feed off of emotions. Now, when you feed on emotions, does the person you feed on know it?”

“Not unless I were to spend more than twenty minutes feeding on one pony. After that it would start to manifest as a slight headache. I tend to only feed for ten minutes at a time.”

“Again, fucking awesome.” Daniel said with enthusiasm. "So do different emotions have different tastes?"

"Yeah, love and happiness taste the best."

"But other emotions are... edible?"

"Uh huh. The ones I don't like are anger and sadness. They're just... unsatisfying."

"So you can tell different emotions by their taste?"

"Easily. Why?"

"Because I think you might be our ticket to cracking our suspects in the dungeon. Hell, I could probably get you a job at ONI. I'm sure they would love to have someone who could just read anyone's emotions."

"That could be cool. Not like I have a whole lot left here anyway."

"Well then Spotty, let's see what the Director says."

Spotlight watched as Daniel walked out of his room, motioning him to follow. Spotlight complied and walked behind the Captain as he entered a room with his name next to the door. It was an exact layout of the room Spotlight had, except for the various trinkets and personal items around the small room. Daniel pulled the chair out from his desk and sat down. He powered up his computer and tapped the Director's name.

The call screen came up as the call to Reach was placed.

"Office of Naval Intelligence. How may I help you?"

"Please patch me through to Director Burr. Authorization sierra-zulu-tango seven seven nine."

"Transferring."

There was a pause as the call connected. Soon the Director's face came on the screen.

"Daniel, what a pleasant surprise. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Things have become complicated here in Equestria. A gryphon insurrection has begun to spill over the national borders of their country. We found out today that an entire town was destroyed. Only one survivor was found."

The Director took a somber look. "I see. Was anything done in response?"

"Yes sir. We tracked the enemy airships heading toward another settlement. The UNSC Grafton engaged with her MAC before the airships could get close. All targets were eliminated."

"And the Princesses authorized this strike?"

"They were in the room when I gave the order. We all watched it happen."

"You said there was a single survivor?"

"Yes sir. Director Burr, this is Spotlight. He was the sole survivor of two attacks.” Daniel motioned to the changeling sitting behind him.

“I see. I’m sorry to hear about your home.” The Director said to the changeling.

“Thank you Director. I’m just glad I have somewhere to stay. My kind are not really welcome in Equestria.”

“Oh? And why is that?”

“A few years ago a different hive attacked the capital. Now, almost everypony hates the changelings. The actions of a few have ruined life for the rest of us.”

“Sorry to hear that. Alright, Captain Ryan, keep me updated.”

“Of course Director.” Daniel replied.

“Director, I would like to make a request, sir.” Spotlight nervously spoke up.

Director Burr looked at the changeling with curiosity. “I’m listening.”

“Sir, I would like to request asylum with the UNSC.”

Captain Ryan and the Director were stunned by this sudden request. “And why are you looking for asylum?” The Director asked.

“There is nothing left for me here. My friends, family, and home are all gone. All that is left is a nation that would love nothing more than for my kind to disappear.”

“You have known us for less than a day. What makes you think this is a good idea?”

“Because, in the few hours I have been here, Captain Ryan here stood up for me in the face of the Princesses. It was also his crew that saved my life and offered me a safe place to stay. I feel that there is much more for me with the UNSC than on my own in Equestria or with the deer.”

“That’s an interesting view.” The Director continued to scrutinize the changeling. “You’re willing to leave behind everything that was once familiar and jump into one of the greatest unknowns, just because you don’t exactly fit in?”

“Yes sir, and I really have nothing to lose.” Spotlight said with confidence.

The Director leaned back in his chair and continued to examine the changeling. “Alright then. I will authorize this as long as Captain Ryan approves of it as well.”

“I have no objections, sir.” Daniel replied.

“Well then Spotlight, your request is approved. I will get in touch with immigration and have papers drawn up for you.” The Director said with a smile.

“Thank you sir. This... this means a lot to me.”

“Welcome to the UNSC.” The Director said before terminating the link.

Spotlight just stood there as he processed what had happened. Daniel then patted Spotlight on the back in congratulations.

“Tommy. Please add Spotlight here to the ship’s roster as a civilian contractor.”

“Aye sir. Change complete.”

“Well Spotlight, welcome to the UNSC.”

The weight of what happened was now sinking in. He had been given a fresh start on life, and he couldn’t be happier.

Author's Note:

Another chapter up for the masses to enjoy.

Hey Blue22, looks like you get two new chapters in a day.

Spotlight, first pony-like being to become a citizen of the UNSC. He is not the first alien to receive asylum. That will be in a later chapter.

Now for a teaser to a chapter in the works.

Who is the Hero of Canton? Get ready for a singalong!

Questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you didn't like, haiku poetry, throw em in the comments bellow.

Thumbs are one of the greatest evolutionary advantages for humans. Embrace your primate heritage by pressing the thumb button bellow. If you happen to be a pony, go ahead and show your support for humanity by pressing it. We're all mammals here... I think. No offence to any reptiles or protozoa out there.