• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 8,188 Views, 1,222 Comments

The Word is Fear - BronyWriter



Aternate ending to Broken Blossom, the threequel to the serial killer Rarity story The Secret Life of Rarity

  • ...
24
 1,222
 8,188

The Third Murder

"This can't be happening, Luna," Celestia whispered. "It can't be."

Luna sighed as she stared down at the drained body of the butler. "We know, Tia. We wish it were not so as well."

The two goddesses walked over to the body of the mayor. He was lying face down on his table; his wings stripped to the bone. His feathers were scattered all over the room. On top of that, he had been stabbed six times in the back. To complete the ensemble, a copy of his speech was pinned to the back of his head with a small paring knife. A group of guards, including four Ghosts, were going around the scene, searching for anything that could possibly help them determine what Blossom was doing next.

"I can't help but feel a little hopeless, Luna," Celestia admitted. "We know who we are looking for, but we don't know how to find her! She can change her appearance to look like anypony she wants! How do you catch somepony like that?!"

"Tia, we will catch her!" Luna insisted. "She cannot keep going on like this forever."

Celestia wheeled around to glare at her sister, her wings flared. "And how many more of my subjects must I see like this before then?" She pointed her hoof down at the slain butler. "How many more of our ponies must endure this desecration before Blossom is in the ground?!"

Luna took an uneasy step backwards as she saw the ends of Celestia's mane begin to sizzle. "Tia, please control thyself!"

""How many, Luna?! How many more?!"

"We will catch her, Tia!" said Luna as she uneasily backed away from her sister's wrath. "Joyous Blossom will answer for her crimes!"

"WHEN?!" Celestia screamed as her mane and tail burst into flames. "WHEN WILL WE SEE HER DESTROYED?! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR HER TO SLIP UP; I WANT. HER. DEAD. NOW!!!

"CELESTIA, STAY THIS MADNESS!" Luna screeched, taking flight and flaring out her wings.

Celestia snarled and took flight herself. "I will when Blossom is dead! I will not rest until she has ceased hurting my subjects! She will..."

All of a sudden, Celestia's eyes widened and her mane and tail extinguished. "Oh no," she whimpered.

She folded her wings and landed on the ground, instantly collapsing onto her side. Her tears streamed from her face, dripping on the floor. Her sister landed beside her and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Tia, let Us help you."

"I cannot do this, Lulu," she whispered. "I cannot stand another moment of feeling like this. I cannot just sit here, knowing that Blossom is out there. Any second now I'm going to get the report stating that she has killed another one of my ponies and I cannot do anything about it! I just have to hope that she messes up?"

"She will make a mistake, Tia," Luna insisted. "She is not right in the head; she will become overconfident."

"But when, Lulu?" Celestia raised her head and stared into her sister's eyes. "When shall we see that day? How many of our subjects must die before then? Ten? Fifty? A hundred? How many?"

Luna sighed and sat down next to her sister. She draped a wing over her. "We don't know, Tia. We... We don't know."

* * * *

The news of the mayor's death spread through Manehattan like a virus. If Blossom was capable of killing their leaders, then she was capable of killing anypony she desired. The train stations were packed with ponies clamoring to get out of Manehattan so they could stay with relatives or in hotels in other cities. Blossom had not yet made her third kill. She would still kill one more pony in Manehattan.

To cover the sheer volume of ponies in trying to leave the city, Celestia sent a full three platoons of guards, as well as all six Ghosts to make sure that nopony who left the city was Blossom. All unicorns Blossom's size, regardless of gender, were scanned to make sure that the killer wasn't trying to escape Manehattan.

Alpha and Beta scanned the crowd of ponies attempting to leave on the five o clock train. "We're never going to be able to scan all of them," Alpha muttered. "We're going to have to get very lucky if we want to catch her."

"That's discounting the fact that she hasn't made her third kill yet," Beta grumbled. "She's not going to leave the city until she does."

Alpha sighed as he watched a guard scan a bright blue unicorn mare whose foals clung to her in terror. She came up clear and the guards allowed her to pass. "Do Gamma and Zeta have any leads?" Alpha questioned. "I heard that they were scouting out the new mayor's place."

Beta shook her head. "Nothing. So far all of the noble's houses have been cleared. There's nothing that indicates who she's going to strike at next."

"Don't think there ever will be," Alpha sighed. "If in the next town she kills the mayor, we'll know her MO." Alpha shook his head. "I don't think that she's going to have one. She doesn't seem the type."

Beta opened her mouth to respond, but before she could she heard a shriek of fear, followed by a chain reaction of screams. Both of the Ghosts looked in the direction of the commotion and gasped when they saw who it was.

Blossom.

Blossom was standing in the middle of the crowd, looking wildly down at her body. She looked up at the guards who were quickly advancing towards her and turned around to bolt in the opposite direction.

"Shoot to kill!" Beta screamed. "Shoot to kill!"

Alpha needed no second prompting. He charged up his horn and fired a deadly blue beam directly at the retreating killer. The blast struck her directly at the base of her spine. She fell like her strings had been cut.

Instantly the entire crowd was silent. They could only stare at the lifeless body of the mare that had been their tormentor through many sleepless nights. Her face was frozen in a mask of shock and fear as the two Ghosts and a dozen guards ran over to her.

Alpha and Beta smirked to themselves as Beta rolled the corpse over. White body, light purple mane, the cutie mark matched, unicorn mare exactly Blossom's size... it was her.

"We got her," Beta whispered breathlessly. "We got her!"

The crowd burst out into loud cheers as Alpha raised Blossom's body into the air. Ponies throughout the crowd and guard hugged each other. Many of them began crying tears of elation now that the nightmare was over.

It was over.

A few ponies rushed up to congratulate the Ghost who had fired the fatal shot. One or two ponies even began spitting on the body, something that Alpha put a stop to. They needed to body in good condition to show to Princess Celestia. Still, Alpha couldn't help but feel that he himself would like to crush the side of Blossom's head once Princess Celestia had been informed, but he would have his time. He was about to become the known hero of Equestria, after all.

* * * *

"They got her, Tia!"

Celestia wheeled around as Luna burst into her room with a gigantic smile on her face. "She was killed attempting to instigate her third murder at a train station! Her disguise was discovered and she was slain by Alpha almost instantly."

Celestia stared blankly at Luna for a moment. "Luna, I..." A wide smile crossed her face and she shot to her hooves. She wrapped her sister in a crushing hug and began weeping tears of joy into her sister's shoulder. "It's over."

Luna wrapped her wings around her sister. "Yes, Tia. Joyous Blossom is no more. She will no longer terrorize our ponies. They are free from fear."

Celestia wiped a few tears of joy out of her eyes and looked up at her sister. "Where is her body?"

"They are bringing it to the palace with all speed. It should be here any moment."

Celestia stood up and beckoned Luna to follow her. "I want to see it for myself. I have to know for a fact that Blossom is gone for good."

Luna trotted beside her sister towards the castle entrance. "Of course, sister. We are also curious to peruse Joyous Blossom's body. T'would be a shame to not confirm the kill ourselves."

The two princesses reached the castle entrance just as the chariot bearing Blossom's body arrived. It landed directly in front of the smiling princesses. Alpha and Beta hopped off of the chariot, their heads held high and beaming smiles on their faces. Most importantly, Alpha held the battered and broken corpse of none other than Joyous Blossom herself in his magical glow.

The two Ghosts stopped in front of Celestia and bowed. "Your highness. It is done."

Celestia put her hoof on Alpha's shoulder. "You have done a great service to Equestria, Alpha. Many lives have been spared thanks to you."

Celestia took Blossom's body in her own magical glow and laid her on the ground. The empty corpse was a mere shell of what Celestia knew Blossom to have been, but that was the idea, wasn't it? The sun goddess leaned in next to Blossom's ear. "I'm sorry, Blossom," she whispered. "But I think you knew that it had to be done. You cannot hurt any of my little ponies ever again."

"None of them can," Beta said with a grin. "That's it, the whole line is wiped out."

"Indeed," Celestia agreed. "I'm disappointed that it had to come to this, but--"

Celestia's words died in her throat as she continued to examine the body. Something was off. Something was very off. A further inspection of the corpse revealed that the roots of Blossom's fur wasn't the pure alabaster that she knew it to be. Instead, it was a chocolaty brown color. Her head snapped up to Alpha. "Before you brought this body to me, did you check it to see if it was really her?"

Alpha cocked his head. "Uh... yeah, Princess. I mean, it's her coloration, her mane, her cutie mark, it's her from where I'm standing."

Celestia ceased her breathing as she fired up her horn. "Please no," she whispered. A beam of magic washed over the body, and as it did, the pure white gave way to the brown coloration that the roots held. In no time at all, the body before her was not that of Blossom, but an unknown mare.

The other three ponies gasped. "No, it had to be her!" Beta cried. "How else could this have happened?!"

Celestia's eyes flickered up to the two Ghosts. "I want you two to tell me exactly what happened. How did you come to kill this mare?"

The Ghosts exchanged an uneasy look before Alpha answered. "We thought that Blossom might take advantage of the crowds to kill somepony trying to escape. You sent three platoons of guards to the train station, and all of us were working to make sure that Blossom did not get on a train. We heard a scream and saw this mare. We thought it was Blossom, so I..." His eyes trailed down to the body. "I killed her as per your orders to slay the murderer on sight."

"She was running," Beta added. "We had to act fast or risk her escaping in the crowd."

Princess Celestia held up a hoof to forestall any more explanation. "Alpha, Beta, inform your counterparts that the order to kill on sight is rescinded. Only kill if Blossom's identity is confirmed beyond a doubt."

"And if she surrenders?" Alpha questioned.

"Nullify her magic and find somepony to remove her horn altogether as soon as possible. Then bring her to me." Celestia motioned down to the body. "Find out who she is. Inform the family and try to spin it so that the public does not know that she was killed by you. After that, find out where she is headed next. I do not care how you do it. I want this to end."

Before anypony else could respond, Celestia turned around, and walked away.

Author's Note:

Blossom kill count: 21