• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 8,177 Views, 1,222 Comments

The Word is Fear - BronyWriter



Aternate ending to Broken Blossom, the threequel to the serial killer Rarity story The Secret Life of Rarity

  • ...
24
 1,222
 8,177

Down the Rabbit Hole

One month later

Blossom trotted into a small Applewood hotel and powered down her disguise. She levitated her saddlebag off of her back and placed it, and a small box, on the table. "Got the papers, Aunt Rarity."

Her aunt, who was sitting down at a nearby table, looked up at her and smiled. "Indeed? Well, let's hear the news, then."

Blossom nodded and sat down opposite her aunt. She opened her saddlebag and pulled out a stack of four newspapers, as well as a few smaller sheets. She put most of them aside, keeping only the top paper. "This one is The Baltimare Sun.

"Go on, dear, I'm listening."

Blossom flattened the paper and cleared her throat.

Rioting in the streets occurred today as furious Manehattanites protested Princess Celestia's inability to capture Equestria's New Nightmare and bring her to justice. Prince Shining Armor made a statement, saying that more measures were being taken to ensure that The New Nightmare would not kill anypony else. A few days later, two teenaged couples were found dead in a back alleyway not far from City Hall. Forensic evidence indicates that the initial stab wounds were light and surprisingly sloppy, indicating that The New Nightmare might have hesitated once before going in for the kill. It could indicate that she held back, but the subsequent wounds were deeper.

Despite Shining Armor's words, the protesting continued until the royal guard and Manehattan police force broke them up. Thankfully the breakup was peaceful, but tensions all throughout the city are high. Experts analyzing The New Nightmare's rampage predict that she may start each cycle with Manehattan, meaning that the citizens have only three weeks left of peace before she kills again in that city. Last time she was there, she killed the mayor and his butler, as well as being responsible for the death of a mare trying to escape the city.

Las Pegasus Times

The hotels and shelters around this city and Cloudsdale are packed to the brim as thousands of pegasi are flocking to the cloud-based cities. So far The New Nightmare has not hit either city, indicating that she is unable to do so, being only a unicorn. The mayors of both cities have issued a city-wide ban of all unicorns in the city, and all pegasi must prove their race before they are allowed entry. Unicorns vacationing in Cloudsdale and Las Pegasus have been forced to return to their homes, and any unicorns that were found in the city after the time limit were incarcerated and deported. Princess Luna has been a vocal critic of the bans, but Princess Celestia has not been able to be reached for comment on the issue. Princess Luna has indeed gone so far as to use her authority to remove the bans, but few unicorns have taken that as a sign that they are able to return to the pegasi cities.

Blossom chuckled to herself and pushed the paper away. She levitated the smaller sheets over to her and turned them so her aunt could see. "I've collected a few of these."

Rarity squinted and leaned forward. She scanned the papers and a small smirk crossed her face.

NO UNICORNS ALLOWED!!

"Got that one in a Manehattan shop," Blossom explained. "This one... I got in Vanhoover." Blossom placed the second sheet down and examined the third one. Her smirk slowly faded and her ears drooped as she read it. "This one I got in Cheebos, that restaurant that I went to with Lilly, Comet, and Dad not long after I killed Ms. Tiara." Blossom sighed and used her magic to tear the paper in two. "It makes me sad to think that Lilly is going to have to explain to Comet why they can't go there anymore because Mommy has a horn."

Rarity sighed and shook her head. "It is unfortunate, isn't it? Life does go on for them, though, doesn't it?"

Blossom nodded and picked up the third paper. "Canterlot News this time."


A mob of unicorns stormed the castle today, protesting the increasingly popular signs denying unicorns entry into shops and restaurants. Princess Celestia has done her best to help unicorn businesses stay afloat, but her efforts were damaged when The New Nightmare killed a pegasus mare while disguised as the owner of a shop that the victim had gone into. Princess Celestia told the mob that she will not extend such help to the shops who have such signs, and the businesses are suffering for it. Dozens of shops and restaurants all over the country have closed down to to lack of business, leaving hundreds of ponies without jobs.

Meanwhile, The New Nightmare killed two mares and a royal guard during the riot. As per usual, she evaded every effort to capture her.

Ponyville Times

The local school's paper, The Foal Free Press, was forced to shut down operations when it received a note from The New Nightmare, along with a demand that the paper print it. The local schoolteacher, Cheerilee, found out and brought the note to the attention of the authorities, and they confiscated it a few minutes later. So far it has not been released to the press, but sources indicate that it seemed to be more of a cry for help than a threat.

Researchers and forensic experts are examining the note, hoping to find any clue to The New Nightmare's location. Princess Celestia released a statement, calling the note a sympathy ploy, designed to lower our guard should anypony come across her. Nevertheless, precautions have been made, and the remaining five Elements of Harmony and families, as well as The Nightmare's grandparents, father, half-sister, and step-mother, have all been placed into hiding.


Blossom put down the newspaper and pushed it aside. "Sympathy ploy," she muttered.

Blossom scoffed to herself and turned her gaze upwards where her Aunt Rarity and three other 'guests' were sitting around a table in a small apartment building in Applewood. Rarity was staring down at the newspapers and shaking her head. "Well if it wasn't a sympathy ploy then what was it? Surely you aren't losing your nerve."

Blossom drooped her ears and shrugged. "I... I guess not. Maybe... I don't know."

Rarity scoffed and roller her eyes. "Very well. Just so long as you don't actually get yourself captured it's unimportant." The corners of Rarity's mouth turned up and she poked the pony sitting next to her. "This one does interest me, though. He was quite the fighter."

Blossom's ears perked back up and she copied her aunt's smile. "Yeah, he was, wasn't he?" Blossom stood up from her seat and walked over to the pony. She hooked her foreleg over the knife still embedded in his neck and pulled it out. "He called himself "Epsilon" if I remember right."

"Yes, Epsilon." Rarity leaned in closer to the dead pony. "He seemed to be a guard based on the way he fought even after you stabbed him in the back, but he isn't dressed like a plainclothes guard. I think this is something else."

Blossom poked the body with the tip of the knife. "He seems to be the same breed as the ponies who always show up to my kill scenes, not to mention the one who killed that mare I changed. Special forces, maybe?"

Rarity nodded. "I think that's it. I think this pony's only purpose was to kill you."

Blossom's ears flattened and she hung her head. "He couldn't even protect them. He couldn't even hide them forever."

Rarity's own ears drooped, and she looked sadly at the other two slain ponies. "At least Mother and Father didn't suffer that much."

"And now they don't have to live with what I'm doing." Blossom sunk to her haunches. "Or what I did to Mom." Blossom slowly raised the knife and dragged the edge across her chest. "They're not scared anymore. They don't have to be sad anymore. They're with Mom now."

Blossom dragged the blade across her chest once more. She raised the knife to her face, but she was stopped when Rarity placed her hoof on the handle. "Blossom, today is not a day for sorrow or pain. You generously made it quick for your grandparents." Rarity motioned for Blossom to put the knife on the table, and she helped her niece up. "Today is a day for celebration."

Blossom gave her aunt a small smile and nodded. She moved over to her seat and sat down. She fired up her horn and pulled the small box closer to her.

"This was kinda hard to get with my horn and all, but I managed to convince the owners that I wasn't a killer."

Blossom opened the box and levitated out a small white frosted cake. She smiled and placed it in front of her before wiping the blood off of the knife and cutting out a piece.

"Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday, dear Blossom. Happy birthday to me.

Blossom took a plastic fork out of the box and was about to dig into the cake when her gaze shifted towards the bed inside the apartment. Her sight landed on a light grey pegasus filly sitting on the bed, staring blankly at Blossom. Blossom tightened her jaw before turning back to her treat and taking a bite.

"Please go away," Blossom whispered.

Author's Note:

Blossom's kill count: 46

Now, one thing: when this is over, is Ripples going to be the last Killer-Rarityverse story I do?

... no.

Is Word is Fear going to be the last story in the Killer-Blossomverse?

... no.

Unless you don't want. Then I can condense the sequel to this and tack it on the end of this one as one or two chapters.

Have you ever wanted a Secret Life of Rarity t-shirt? Of course you have! Now you may have one. http://www.cafepress.com/bronywritermerc